Suikoden Unique and Illegal Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Opinions on College
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For my course, there are three requirements to finish my Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. One is to of course get 800 credits for the 4 years (currently have 525 and will is repeating some classes :( ), second is to get a First Aid Certificate, it's equivalent or higher, and the third is to get 12 weeks of work experience, or equivalent to 12 weeks. There may be some colleges that doesn't require this, but their graduates will get a harder time to find work, as i've been told. So college doesn't only mean passing exams and all that, at least not for me.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

800 credits?!?!? That's, like... bogus! If you were taking a minimum number of courses and still a full-time student (12 credit hours a semester with 2 semesters a year), that'd take about 33 years. With taking my normal class load (15 credit hours a semester with 2 semesters a year) that'd take about 26 years.

What the heck kind of field are you going into?

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does your school apply credits in a different way than other schools? I mean, we define a credit as an hour of lecture a week for a course. At 800 credits in 4 years, it'd be 200 credits a year. Assuming 2 semesters, that's 100 credits. That would mean 100 hours a week of lectures and labs, which would only leave 68 hours a week for, well, everything else. I can't imagine you use the same scale and have those requirements.

As for the work experience, some majors here require an internship, others more or less give people so many opportunities to pursue one that you have to more or less go out of your way to get out of school with no legitimate experience. Others give experience that is also very good to get on applications. I went into the Journalism school with no experience whatsoever. I got my first internship namely because my school brought in the guy to interview students and our professors talked it up. Besides that, at least two required classes require enough writing that is all submitted for publication to the school paper that's its not any more work to go in, fill out an, and become an official staff writer, because then we get paid.

Some of the majors in the environmental science schools have internships required. The architecture school doesn't require an internship, but they require a summer semester studying architecture in Europe (it's part of the cirriculum and everything). For the arts majors, it's pretty much required to do genuine work, but that's more expected. I can't speak for the majors in the engineering school, but one guy I interviewed for one of those journalism classes had had 4 internships already, and he was only a sophomore.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha, well, no, the credit system isn't like that at my university. Each class/unit is worth either 25 credits or 12.5 credits. You're supposed to take 100 credits per semester, making it 200 in a year for four years. I don't think that it it represents an hour of lecture per week. I realise of course that it's different not only from colelges/unis in the US, but it was even different for my friend's uni courses in Australia. This is pretty much Curtin University's standards. :P

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

....I sort of generally see college as the next thing after high school....only you have to pay and depending on how good you are with your classes you could get stuck in college for eternity or not

It still hasn't quite hit me that something exists beyond college besides another form of higher education O_O

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Starslasher wrote:
Haha, well, no, the credit system isn't like that at my university. Each class/unit is worth either 25 credits or 12.5 credits. You're supposed to take 100 credits per semester, making it 200 in a year for four years. I don't think that it it represents an hour of lecture per week. I realise of course that it's different not only from colelges/unis in the US, but it was even different for my friend's uni courses in Australia. This is pretty much Curtin University's standards. :P

Oh, okay... you had me freaking out for a minute... I thought you were some sort of crazy who lived at college (well, not like in the dorms or anything... but, like in the classroom all the time... like the ones that don't bathe XD). About how long are your classes, on average?

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Really it depends. It's pretty lax for some, like a 2 hour lecture per week and 2 hour tutorial per fortnight for one unit. But there is another unit which has 2 hour lecture, 1 hour tutorial, both weekly and 2 hour laboratories that varies, since we choose which lab classes times we want to go to.

But overall, i'm taking 4 units, and that's about 8 hours of lectures, 6 hours of tutorials and 3 hours of laboratories per week, making it about 17 hours of classes per week in total.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: