Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Why Groups Resort To Terrorism.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Why Groups Resort To Terrorism. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A lot of my friends and family members have been bitching about how terrorist cells are just plain cowards. I've had to use this arguement many times and I thought it may help those here to better understand the current situations abroad.

With the emergence of the two main "superpowers" (U.S.S.R. and U.S.A.) after WWII, a cople of things became apparent. At that time, one of these was that these two superpowers would engulf the world with destruction and death in a savage apocolytic war. However, with the collapse of the Soviet government in Russia, this turned out to be false.

The other thing that became apparent was the fact that few nations would be able to stand against one of these powers without the help of the other. (i.e. Korea, Vietnam, Russia v.s. Afghanastan) For those nations whose man power was a little less numerous than thier grandoise dreams, there was truly only one option: guerilla warfare. (i.e. Vietnam, Russia v.s. Afghanastan) This being as it was, many nations sought to model their armies after those who had suceeded in fighting a "superpower". It is from this training that we can obtain todays results.

Al Qaida had its birth in the fight to remove Russia from Afghanastan. The Palestinian irregulars have been fighting a war of attrition, and that is what is going on in Isreal, for years, modeling themselves after the Viet Cong and the Viet Minh.

My point here in all of this is that it doesn't make sense for these groups to attack us directly, soldier v.s. soldier mind you, because we have become too sgtrong for that to happen. Thus to reach their goals they commit horrendous attacks against the innocent civilian, trying to force us to give in to their demands. It isn't because they are cowards who hide after they get their shots in because they don't want to be hurt, but because this is the only means by which they can harm us.

Unfortunately it appears that this technique is working. Everyday when I read the newspaper, we as a nation seem to be turning against ourselves. Blaming our President will not remove the terrorist threat, nor will removing him. Even if we get ourselves a new guy in the White House, the same tghing will continue. Al Qaida doesn't call us infedels because of who leads us, but because we are their enemy.

Wow, this is pretty long! Sorry but I just sort of got off on a tangent.

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the only thing I'll add is the fact that the U.S. and many other global 'superpowers' started terrorism way before these little factions. One must understand the basic principle behind terrorirsm and that is invoking terror. Superpowers have long since used their power to impose their will on little factions to get as much out of these lesser developed countries as they could. They take everything from those people, increasing their collective wealth, and leave these countries with little to live on. So, no, I'm not saying terrorism is right, but I believe that you have to look at where it started and why little factions see it as an effective means.

As for your argument about Americans fighting against each other and how blaming our President will not remove the terrorist threat, well, that may be true, but you have to think about the fact that the United States and other 'superpowers' encourage terrorism. Sure, they don't want another 9/11, but terrorist acts do allow the President to constantly invade other countries, in the auspices of looking for terrorist factions, and allow him to place American political systems in place.

Although, it is not mostly the President himself, the American way of thinking has developed into this and he being the head of America, he must persist in this attitude that America must lead other nations by the hand towards a more prosperous future. I argue that these nations can lead themselves. I think the President has gotten himself tied up in the idea that he can save countries when they are plenty capable of doing so by themselves. As Americans we see ourselves as the greatest nation, but fail to see all the things we lack. Other countries look down at us for our huge egos and that is why we are called infidels.

Terrorist actions are no different than what early American settlers did to the English Colonials during the American Revolution. It just seems hypocritical for us to say that terrorism is the world's major threat when we established our entire country on such actions. Again, I'm not saying it is right, but it works and America has to look at itself and realize how its intereference has encouraged these actions.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Blackwind

Ravenstrike

66500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While it's sad that it's civilians that gathurt by these acts abd it is certainly not the bravest tactic. How else are such small numbers going to wage war on america or any other greator force? And as far as i'm concerned America has comited more evil then 9/11. Now I'm not saying that I'm in favor of terrorism or that i'm against america. I'm just speaking as an objective person.

Now speaking as an American any threat to America is a threat to me and I hope we wipe all those SoBs of the face of the earth. I like to think of my self as a tolerent wise person but if they want to declare an us or them scenerio them I say quick and ruthless extermination.

Long story short I look at terrorism as just one more method for fighting a war and I don't think Americans are in any real postion to judge wether the means justify the ends after the things we've done. Even if I am that side.
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Urn wrote:
Well, the only thing I'll add is the fact that the U.S. and many other global 'superpowers' started terrorism way before these little factions. One must understand the basic principle behind terrorirsm and that is invoking terror. Superpowers have long since used their power to impose their will on little factions to get as much out of these lesser developed countries as they could. They take everything from those people, increasing their collective wealth, and leave these countries with little to live on. So, no, I'm not saying terrorism is right, but I believe that you have to look at where it started and why little factions see it as an effective means.

As for your argument about Americans fighting against each other and how blaming our President will not remove the terrorist threat, well, that may be true, but you have to think about the fact that the United States and other 'superpowers' encourage terrorism. Sure, they don't want another 9/11, but terrorist acts do allow the President to constantly invade other countries, in the auspices of looking for terrorist factions, and allow him to place American political systems in place.

Although, it is not mostly the President himself, the American way of thinking has developed into this and he being the head of America, he must persist in this attitude that America must lead other nations by the hand towards a more prosperous future. I argue that these nations can lead themselves. I think the President has gotten himself tied up in the idea that he can save countries when they are plenty capable of doing so by themselves. As Americans we see ourselves as the greatest nation, but fail to see all the things we lack. Other countries look down at us for our huge egos and that is why we are called infidels.

Terrorist actions are no different than what early American settlers did to the English Colonials during the American Revolution. It just seems hypocritical for us to say that terrorism is the world's major threat when we established our entire country on such actions. Again, I'm not saying it is right, but it works and America has to look at itself and realize how its intereference has encouraged these actions.

Last night when I posted above, I forgot to mention not only the American colonists, but also the French revolutionaries, and the Phillipine bandits that have inhabited that country. I regret that I forgot these, but I was pretty tired since it was 5:00 AM where I am. Both of you have made well thought out responses and I thank you for not being SoBs as I think Blackwind would say.

Infedels is a common term used by many different cultures. Infedel was a common term the pilgrims of the Grusades used to describe the Turks and Muslims they fought.

This topic is very interesting to research. I often am surprised at what I am able to find with just a little research.

Urn, you are right on a couple of points. America has used terrorism in the past to get what they want. As a American, I'm ashamed of this, but that is the world in which we live.

As stated above, I forgot to mention the Americans, French, and Phillipine bandits. Although these groups are not the originators of the terrorism that they are known for, they did sort of make this sort of warfare known world wide. Infact, Ho Chi Minh studied the tactics used by the colonists in the American Revolution against General Cornwalis.

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Why Groups Resort To Terrorism. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ADAM wrote:
My point here in all of this is that it doesn't make sense for these groups to attack us directly, soldier v.s. soldier mind you, because we have become too sgtrong for that to happen. Thus to reach their goals they commit horrendous attacks against the innocent civilian, trying to force us to give in to their demands. It isn't because they are cowards who hide after they get their shots in because they don't want to be hurt, but because this is the only means by which they can harm us.

I disagree, Terrorists are cowards.

The problem with your statement for me is that you make it seem that terrorist have no other choice and are just trying to survive. However they do have the choice to not be barbarians--cutting off heads of civilians, they do have the choice not to blow up children, but they choose these wicked, and yes very cowardly attacks against us.

I agree that it doesn't make sense for them to fight soldier vs. soldier against a superpower. I'm all for guerilla tactics. I think it's a smart way for a smaller army to battle a larger one. I would have less of a problem with terrorists if they blew themselves up at an army brigade, at least it is soldiers of the opposing nation which it is their jobs to combat such things, but terrorists attack and kill innocent people that have nothing to do with anything. Civilians--that makes them cowards.

It doesn't take a very brave man to kill someone that is unarmed, unaware, and not out to kill you as well. For this reason, terrorist are murdering dogs, scum of the earth, and always will be: cowards.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Why Groups Resort To Terrorism. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Neclord wrote:
ADAM wrote:

I disagree, Terrorists are cowards.

The problem with your statement for me is that you make it seem that terrorist have no other choice and are just trying to survive. However they do have the choice to not be barbarians--cutting off heads of civilians, they do have the choice not to blow up children, but they choose these wicked, and yes very cowardly attacks against us.

I agree that it doesn't make sense for them to fight soldier vs. soldier against a superpower. I'm all for guerilla tactics. I think it's a smart way for a smaller army to battle a larger one. I would have less of a problem with terrorists if they blew themselves up at an army brigade, at least it is soldiers of the opposing nation which it is their jobs to combat such things, but terrorists attack and kill innocent people that have nothing to do with anything. Civilians--that makes them cowards.

It doesn't take a very brave man to kill someone that is unarmed, unaware, and not out to kill you as well. For this reason, terrorist are murdering dogs, scum of the earth, and always will be: cowards.

I do not agree with what these evil bastards do. Let me make myself clear: In my opinion, all of those worthless punkasses deserve to die. I do not think they are trying to survive and take pity on them, nor do I think it is cowardly. To sacrifice yourself for some wacked out cause, no matter what it is, takes a hint of testicular fortitude.

To these F-ed up individuals, any American is a infedel. If you are a American you deserve to be killed where you stand to these a-holes.

This kind of thinking makes me pist off. I cannot stand people who kill senselessly. These monsters are not heroes, not cowards, but they are heartless and dispicable. I hate Osama and his followers with every fiber of my being. You make it sound as if I'm trying to pity them. Murderers do not deserve pity. Please do not put words into my mouth.

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am against terrorism, but only because I have lived freely all of my life. With no offence to any American person here, it's not too hard to see why they want to attack you. You just don't have the best image anymore, and it's mostly happened in the last 15 years.

Groups resort to Terrorism when they are losing resources to another group (oil), when they are being persecuted by another group (constant bombings and warfare) and when they are in religious conflict with another group (Christianity vs. Islam? no thanks...). I'm sure there are more things that I am merely forgetting.

And I don't think Terrorists are Cowards. They're Cowardly. It takes alot of dedication to do something huge, like strap a bomb to yourself and blow it up in the middle of a crowed market, but even more to try and take them all out with guns or anything skillful, and that's how they're cowardly. I myself couldn't imagine myself killing myself for any cause.

And finally, did your Country start or undergo serious reformation with a Revolution, like France, USA or Russia?

...All of them, terrorists by definition. They fought using Guerilla and 'dirty' tactics against the ruling power/government to get their way and did. Urn is 100% right. The Americans used 'terrorist' tactics (ambushes, bombs) on the British Colonist pre-1776, but it wasn't just the Americans. Let me get a definition here.

Quote:
Terrorist, Adj.
Characteristic of someone who employs terrorism (especially as a political weapon); "terrorist activity"; "terrorist state" N : a radical who employs terror as a political weapon; usually organizes with other terrorists in small cells; often uses religion as a cover for terrorist activities.

That's terrible. 'Terror' can be stealing the President's ham sandwich, it's just too loose. The real definition should be Any extreme group under oppressed systems that use any means to rebel and overthrow the system, often using violence and Terrifying the masses.
zincbrain

Uttuku

441117 Potch
200 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Terrorists are cowards and I do not think that muslim extrmists should be blamed for everything though it does happen that most of the people are muslim
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally I do not like america meddling in the affairs of other nations. As much as I hate terrorist I also think the strategies imployed by them are the same america uses. In the past america has used more brutal tactics than the ones used by Al quida. They burned many Filipino villages and sent people to concentration camps. Bah, if I remeber correctly an america general said something along the lines "for ever american they wound we will kill 4 filipino" America speaks of freedom and of equality bah, just look at where there ideals have lead the world. Terrorism is just as prevalent and possibly even stronger now. America speaks of the evil of Al Quida but uses tactics that are just as brutal and inhumane
Tokuro

White Storms

22016 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

People resort to terrorism for one reason: The most of the "low people" (those who are not in the power) want peace but those who are in the power just want more and more power... as the low people are manipulated to think that things wil get better with war they wage it. But as the common people are getting killed their leader gains the profit and this is why it will never ends. Don't matter what is the excuse (God, liberty or your "sake") they care none with that and this is the sad true.
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sigh* I agree whole heartedly to your post Tokuro
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Seing my post now, I really think that I went way off what I meant. Basically these groups cannot function as a equal on the battlefield with a stronger nation for multiple reasons. Whether they be finacial or otherwise. Thusly they strike at what they can. If I am seeking to destroy my enemy and cause fear and panic, you bet yer arse I'm going after the civilians.(btw that is a view that can be made in the safety of my own home as I am typing this out. I couldn't ever imagine having to do this nor do I support it. It is only a "if i had to thing.") Look at 9/11. Even if the men responsible were hunted down and brought to justice, this attack caused us more damage than a military defeat. Political bickering aside, we were struck where we were weakest. I dop not say what they do is right, but I do believe that if we study closer how they approach attacking us and how they choose targets we can be better prepared at stopping them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: