Suikoden Ugly and Illusional Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Crops, Agriculture and Industry in the Suikoden world

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nach0king

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Crops, Agriculture and Industry in the Suikoden world Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This particularly relates to games 1 and 2.

Considering the distances involved, particularly in the setting of 2, there must be different climates and plant types in different parts of the world. But is this reflected in the games? Do the recipes in S2 reflect different parts of the world in this way? I never really stopped to think about it before.

Also, why are there so few farms around when there are so many people to feed? :)

As far as industry goes, war seems to be the main growth industry (a bit like real life...) and there are plenty of storylines based around acquiring weapons and materials, but other than that, most people seem to work in the docks or in stores, i.e. distributing goods. Other than miners, I don't remember seeing that many "gatherers" in the games. Is this something there should be more of?

I realise these are pretty geeky questions but the Suikoden series does such a great job generally of creating a breathing, living world, and a great backstory for many characters and the rune system, yet some of the more "boring" details are glossed over a bit.

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You will realize as well as I do that farms etc. are present but simply not shown in the game. As such we cannot really discuss the nature (or lack) of agriculture and industry in the Suikoden countries. But I agree that it would be nice if the lands would be depicted in greater detail. And you shouldn't take the recipes too seriously, since they and the cook-off refer to countries from our world, and as such are not really compatible with the setting anyway.

Quote:
Considering the distances involved, particularly in the setting of 2, there must be different climates and plant types in different parts of the world.

That is a claim that doesn't even necessarily apply for our world, much less the Suikoden world with its unknown geological and meteorological nature.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think we're asking too much of a playstation RPG that has been made years ago to include all of this, maybe more modern games are starting to incorporate this, but I think that for when most of the series was made, we have had good results.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you look at Tony it says that he had a farm outside of Muse, but you never see it indicated on the maps, if that is true then there could be a lot more of these invisible farms dotted around the Suikoden world.

As for climate, in a way they do have that, you have the plains of eastern muse, then the big forest region of and around Greenhill and the desert-ish mountainous region of Tinto.
nach0king

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I know that I can't ask too much of an old Playstation game, but one of the reasons the series has such lasting appeal is that it had little details like this that no other series bothered with. Who else had a castle/base system as good as Suikoden's, for example? Nobody.

I just love looking at maps of the Suikoden world and I'd like to be able to fill in some of the blanks, as it were :)

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah I understand what you mean, but I suppose most farms in Suikoden don't have architecture on them, so you can take your pick out of the large areas in Suikoden II and decide which one is Tony's...

They exist, just not in a gameplay sense, which is good enough for me.
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hmm well i dont think people in suikoden are starved for food. Dont forget all the types of food items, novelty items etc that can be traded in the suikoden world. We also know that there are many crafts in the suikoden world like the creation of arts, statues and it would be quite plausible there are industries for making furniture and stuff(someone has to have made the beds, chairs etc that are characters use!!!)
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that looking at trade routes and products may give you a good idea of what town produces what. Also, you have to keep in mind that farms produce the food, which is then sent to towns or harbors to be transported elsewhere.
Besides, didn't you check the barrels and such? Lots of veggies there.

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone really gets there food from the village of Iksay. Your castle has a farm though, while it mat not be large you grow stuff there. :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: