Suikoden Utopian and Irenic Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Who do you regard as the most tragic character in the series?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am more than surprised that Pilika hasn't been mentioned yet.

A girl whose family is all basically burned to death, she finds her only solice in Jowy.

Then Jowy leaves her and becomes, essentially, her enemy.

She finally gets to be with him again, but never sees him.

Then in the end, she still doesn't get to be with him.

Not to mention her frightening experience with Luca...

It's sad to the umpteenth power!

Drago

Unknown Warriors of Kooluk

500 Potch
2 Soldiers
13571 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If anything i would have to say it is Lazlo En Kuldes the hero from Suikoden 4

1. He lost his mother

2. He got separated from his family as a very young child

3. He gets blamed for the death of Commander Glen

4. He gets the huge burden of the rune of punishment

I feel very sorry for the boy not to mention he had to lead the alliance against Kooluk
Island dweller

Archane watchmen

60038 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bub wrote:

A girl whose family is all basically burned to death, she finds her only solice in Jowy.

Then Jowy leaves her and becomes, essentially, her enemy.

She finally gets to be with him again, but never sees him.

Then in the end, she still doesn't get to be with him.

Not to mention her frightening experience with Luca...

It's sad to the umpteenth power!

After my first play i would have to agree, and in some sense i still do but more than anything now piliki annoys me, she is one of those characters who was written in to change the plot waaaaaay to far down the line and because of that she gets in the way with her muted ways and end up annoying, i feel greatly sorry for the girls situation, not even a fictional character should have to endure that, but i dont want to have to endure her all over my castle either.

I would say that in my opinion the most tragic character is snowe, theres a charcacter that i just cant stop thinking "you poor naive boy" watching him make mistake after mistake is so annoying yet tragic i feel awful for him, he tries as hard as he can to be the best he can but isnt good enough, and to add to that, he's cowardly and doesnt know it untill its too late....he really deserved that punch from commander Glen, but despite all that, i still feel sorry for him.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Really old topic, but I got redirected. Blame Hayashi. :mrgreen:
The most tragic character in my opinion is Luc. From the time he was born, he could never make anything out of his life because of his conviction that he was cursed and that he could never be free. He could have lived a happy life, but he was trapped in his faulty belief for his entire life, and he thus rarely knew happiness. Even the other tragic characters had memories to rely on, but he had nothing but the memories of the True Wind Rune, and that's why he's the most tragic. It took his life to recognize his own mistake and it took his life to make people appreciate him.

Seraphim Of Kooluk

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luca Blight was defiantely the most tragic character within the series, Having to see his mother get raped before his eyes will really screw someone up, and I bet if that hadn't of happened Luca wouldn't be the psycho we know and love today... But of course if he hadn't been a psycho Suikoden 2 wouldn't have happened...

And also he has to see a memorial of that event when he sees his sister who is the offspring of his mother and those Jowston troops who raped her.
So further more Luca is the most tragic character of any game I've ever played.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bub wrote:

Well, yes, she goes through many hardships during the course of Suikoden II, but the difference between her and say, my choice of Aldo, is how Pilika ends up at the end of the game:

1. She's not dead.
2. She has the love of Jillia, who will be like a mother to her.
3. Pilika is still just a girl at the end of Suikoden II, she has her whole life ahead of her.

Last but not least...

4. The hope that Jowy is alive and will come see her one day.

Aldo has none of these, and that's why he is my choice, not just in comparison to Pilika, but generally. Konami seemed to care little about him when they made his story...
Dakota

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with LordKratos, Luca was definately the most tragic character in any RPG Ive ever played. Of course it really doesnt seem like it when you play through the game, he's just a heartless psycho bastard..but his backstory is the tragic part.

Oh how I love the backstories of some characters..XD
redxa3

Valence Turmeil

363113 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bastan.

What's more tragic than being that old bastard. Man I pity him and his wife.

Valence Turmeil
The Protectors of the Crimson Deep
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm torn between Tir and Luc. Sure, we can argue all day what counts as tragic or just sad. Even that is up to opinion for the most part.

Tir's story is indeed sad, he lost basically everything. I think what makes him so tragic though, is knowing what's going to happen to him. I'm assuming he must have some of the memories from Ted, from within the rune. Windy is unaccounted for, which means she'll be after him. Then, providing we go with the idea that Gremio was brought back to life, Tir knows what it feels like when he lost him the first time; since he's going to outlive Gremio on age alone because of the rune, he's going to have to experience that again. So really the most tragic part about Tir is that there's no where for him to go, the rune is going to feed off his soul and anyone around him that it can. He's going to lose the only person he has left, and if he gets close to anyone they don't really have much of a chance. Considering he has Ted's life to go by, he probably knows what his life is going to be like... I just always felt so bad for him.

Then Luc... lol oh Luc, there's so much screwed up with you. He had a sad life too, but I can't help but think of him as a tragic hero. I mean when it comes down to it, he was just thinking different than everyone else. His mass genocide was rather small compared to the loss he foresaw in the future. Using that as his basis for the plan, not letting the balance take over, he had a sound motive. Of course, he's a bit nuts, so it's understandable that everyone would be against him. If the grey world he talks about ever comes though, perhaps then people will think of him as a hero who failed in trying to save the world. He put everything he had into something he believed. Between Harmonia messing with him and Leknaat using him as her set of eyes and some sort of puppet, he really didn't have a hope in hell for sanity.

-My DeviantArt-
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luc was my choice because he never had any chance to really think for himself. Up to the end of his life, he was always pursuing one thing or another because of something else. He had the illusion that he was doing it on his own accord but in the end, he was only a tool for Harmonia, Leknaat and the True Runes. What's even sadder is that he lived his whole life thinking that he could never feel like a human, that he would always be a monster in everyone's eyes, yet he had fellings and emotions just like other humans.
There are some who say that the greatest sadness is to have never known happiness. If that's the case, then Luc is truly the most tragic character.

59273 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luca, seriously? I can't believe anyone said that. Yes, he had a traumatizing childhood, but he still comitted terrible crimes and his end is what I truly believe he deserved. The traditional defintion of a tragic character is someone who is not wholely good or evil, and has a fall from power by their own mistakes.

Am I the only one that views Luca as completely evil? I just felt no pity for him. It must have been traumatizing but there's other people who have been through a lot worse (say, being the actual victim of the rape) who don't go yelling "DIE PIG DIE!" and chopping someone's head off.

I don't know, maybe I'm unable to see the tragedy in his character.

Anyways, as for most tragic character:

I'm going to go with Sialeeds (assuming by the fact that there's no Suikoden V forum, I am assuming we can speak of it freely, if not, really sorry!)

She was in a position of relative power while Arshtat ruled, and while Godwin ruled. Nor was she thoroughly good or evil, while she did betray the Prince she was still a good person, her actions were to help Falena, and really the prince and his sister. In her dying words it's mentioned she could have killed him several times by Lucretia, and Sialeeds doesn't respond, which I took as she didn't want to.

She did great things for Falena by "cleansing" the senate of the Barrows and Godwin faction however ultimately died by this action. For this reason, I believe she was truly the most tragic character.
Rune of Corruption

Ficky Ficky Frog Eyed Frustrated Fools

2319 Potch
0 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The whole royal family of Falena is pretty tragic. The mess that goes on between Arshtat's mother and her aunt then the Hashwar and Sialeeds having to give up ever finding love or having children, Arshtat bearing the Sun Rune, Ferid being killed by you know who, Freyjadour and Lymslelia having their whole childhood being turned around on them, and then Sialeeds all by herself. It is like that family is cursed or something.
LostAddict

59273 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So true. That whole family is incredibly tragic... But I think Sialeeds takes the cake. Probably just cause we have seen the most of her.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Luca, seriously? I can't believe anyone said that. Yes, he had a traumatizing childhood, but he still comitted terrible crimes and his end is what I truly believe he deserved. The traditional defintion of a tragic character is someone who is not wholly good or evil, and has a fall from power by their own mistakes.

Am I the only one that views Luca as completely evil? I just felt no pity for him. It must have been traumatizing but there's other people who have been through a lot worse (say, being the actual victim of the rape) who don't go yelling "DIE PIG DIE!" and chopping someone's head off.

I don't know, maybe I'm unable to see the tragedy in his character.

Luca Blight is tragic in the sense that he's completely insane and mad and psycho and bananas... No really, a way in which you could consider Luca Blight to be tragic was that he didn't become like this until what happened to his mother. (Read his side story and see for yourself). That a normal boy could become so warped from just one event shows the tragedy of war.

59273 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know his side story, it's why I said "it must have been traumatizing but..."

I dunno, like I said there are people that suffered through a lot worse than that and still ended up decent people. I mean there are kids who are beat by their parents, and in some cases raped, and still end up as good people (albeit, obviously not perfect socially and whatnot.)

I just don't feel sorry for him. After all that he's done, he's a lot more of a villian than a victim to me. I mean, he slaughtered a whole unit of youth just to continue a war. And when said war was continued he comitted horrible crimes (ala, Diepigdie girl).

Furthermore, didn't it happen at a really young ag, like four? Chances are he doesn't even remeber it fully, as memories tend to fade away, even life-changing ones like that. Not only that, but while traumatizing he had a whole 20 or some odd years to help recover from it, and I'm sure being the king's son the rest of his life was very well. It's not something that he should forget, but still being traumatized by it seems ... unlikely?

I mean, it's not like it was an everyday occurance, it was one terrible, terrible memory. Alot of people have really crappy stuff to them (date rape, best friend's death, almost murdered, witnessed death etc.) and the world's not crazy. I'm not trying to say what hapenned wasn't sad, I'm trying to say that in terms of all the stuff that alot of other people persevere through, his actions aren't excused. Thus, I do not view him as tragic at all. In my opinion, the bastard deserved to die.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: