Suikoden Utopian and Informational Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Best Death in Suikoden
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, me weighing in.

First off, I'm a huge sucker for Gremio. I played the games in this order: 3 1 2 5 4. So while Jimba / Wyatt's death in 3 was pretty 'whoamg', Gremio kinda blew it all away just because the emotional part of it was ratcheted up a few notches with how close you saw Gremio was to everyone in the beginning. [Stew, anyone?]

Then you have Luca Blight's death in 2. I remember the first time I played that, I'm like, why won't this mofo just DIE already? But that was the point. The point was to show exactly how unstoppable this MAN was. You know how it takes 18 people to get through the last part in Suikoden 5? You're fighting nothing but random monsters for the most part. It takes you 18 people to get through one MAN in Suikoden 2, and that says something for how important he was and exactly how strong he was [and how much his insanity was fueling him - talk about some serious mother issues, right?] And then in the midst of this ranting and raving and just evil evil man, you have the fireflies fluttering around, and they flutter for a moment...before you hear the sounds of death by arrow.

Now THAT, friends, was a death.

I mean, if you play the games in order, it kinda makes the Wyatt / Chris reunion in 3 seem almost pedestrian by comparison.

I'm currently in the middle of playing 5, and I've managed to cry my way through Galleon's flashback of what really happened at the Sun Palace. It's my fourth time through the game and I'm still sobbing by the time it all goes down, just for the sheer touchingness of it. It's that scene where you realize how much two people love one another, how important it is to keep a promise to your best friend [even if it hurts] - it grabs you and doesn't let go. Which, in a way is what Luca's death does - it grabs you from the first party that faces him to the time he falls face first.

So to me, those are the two best deaths in Suikoden - it's hard for me to pick between either one.

Archane watchmen

60038 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There have been many a deaths in the suikoden world, it is this edge of realism to the game that makes it so awsome, it suckes you in and makes you whitness first hand what such a war can do to a family or a person. It often expresses evil in some of the most twisted people around, and the most twisted person i have seen in a suikoden was Luca, yep you guessed it. But it wasnt his death that im talking about, his was indeed an encapsulateing end, but the deaths that grab my attention the most, are the deaths of innocents.

When i came out of the forrest after visiting Tsai and whitnessed the slaughtering of the vilage of ryube, well i just felt this anger filling my up. if i was actualy there i would have been on the floor the same as jowy and riou, knocked out for out own saftey. Its the fact that you have to sit there and watch while Luca pretty much just takes out his boredom on a peaceful village, and if that wasnt enough, he torments the villagers with false hopes of being spared, like the women he made act like a pig, just to show himself how much power he had, and to give himself a laugh, all before cutting her with his sword.

The death of ryube was truely tradgic, and it always sticks out to me.
LordKratos

Seraphim Of Kooluk

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The best and most emotional death in Suikoden is... Luca Blight!!
His death was so cool and it was a really tough boss battle and duel to ( if you use the wrong moves)
I think he deserves to villain of the year.
Scott

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Phew. Suiko games certainly have their fair Share of deaths...Let's see...I myself would have to go with...

Ridley Wizen
I know it's an optional death, and I got it my first play through. It struck me hard too. Ridley was one of my favorite characters. There was just something about it genuinely being the player's fault didn't exactly help. I think it was the impact of the entire scene, too.

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Beck

Mongolian Chop Squad

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I pick Nanami's Death scene at Rockaxe, I wanted to say Kiba's honorable death but I just can't take Nanami out my mind when I saw her scene. Her character really held close to me since the start, so seeing her die will make you sad even though she's somewhat annoying but that is what big sister do. Whenever she requested to call her "Sister". I always pick the option that grants her request :)

IN AMERICA!
LordKratos

Seraphim Of Kooluk

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For me the Gremio death scene really wasn't so emotional for me because I really didn't like Gremio but I thought it was pretty sad how he sacrificed his life to save Tir and the others.
Dakota

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not sure if Ive posted here or not, but oh well.

I think the best death was Pahns..if he was defeated that is.
He fought to protect Tir, even if he was at a disadvantage. He fought valiantly but was executed..

Of course thats if he was weak and did not train (Which I made sure to do because Pahn is awesome)

If Pahn had beaten Teo then the best death wouldve been..Culgan and Seed's
Died fighting for what they believe in and didnt betray there country like most others would have.
LostAddict

59273 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a couple, god these games are so emotional.

Odessa Silverberg

Probably the top one for me. She was a girl who despite having it well, she knew everyone else was struggling so she fought for equality. She fought for what she thought was right. She was a strong character, and her end was just so touching, even in death she was still fighting/thinking of helping the revolution. I hope she somehow makes it into another game, I don't know how, but I would love it, alot.

Yun

From Suikoden III. Not one of the tops, but she was such a kindred spirit, you couldn't help but feel for a girl that gave up her life to try and protect the world.

Arshtat and Ferid

I just really loved this scene. Alot alot alot. The whole fact that the sun rune had driven her to such insanity that she killed her own husband shows the rune's power. And then she was killed because of how it was consuming her, a great person ruined by something out of her control. And then seeing them in the end was great, showed a much more positive side of her.

Luca

I was so happy when the bastard died. Deserved it alot.
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I feel like we have two different discussions going on here. Are we talking about the best deaths as in how emotional or moving they are? Or are we looking at how Konami presented them? Those are two completely different discussions. For example, I think Gremio's death is very emotional and sad, but I don't think they presented it incredibly well (at least compared to other deaths, even in the same game).

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I feel like we have two different discussions going on here. Are we talking about the best deaths as in how emotional or moving they are? Or are we looking at how Konami presented them? Those are two completely different discussions. For example, I think Gremio's death is very emotional and sad, but I don't think they presented it incredibly well (at least compared to other deaths, even in the same game).

Technically, the best death IS the most well-presented death, presentation here being defined as having impact on the gamer, whether they've moved, impressed, shocked or even disgusted.
For me, Gremio's death was made al the more sad by McDohl's reaction to his death, and also one scene after that (the one where Viktor hands Gremio's axe to McDohl). The effects are not immediately apparent, but we can see that his abscene permeates the main character's life. It was not presented directly, but the indirectness of it made it special long after he died.

The Ebon Elite

356999 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This one is hard...Gremio's death scene really got to me. I mean, someone who dedicates their entire existance to protecting you..you can't help but feel compasion towards them. Gremio was like the ultra loving, caring, over protective parent...theres just no possible way you could hate him if you understood him. It serriously took me 3 times playing through before I could finally forgive Milch for what he did..evil rune or no evil rune.

Nanami's death scene probably got to me the most. I have a sister who I swear to god is exactly like her. I actually call her Nanami sometimes..even though she has absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. I found out that she could be saved right after I finished the Rockaxe incident and restarted that entire game just so I could save her.

Although both of those deaths really got to me...I'm goin' to have to say the best was Luca Blight. (read my quote :twisted: ) There is just no death scene more epic. I'm one who has a tendancy to root for the bad guys...and Luca Blight was just the evilest of evil. I loved it. And the fact that it took an entire army to kill him...I mean come on now. What tops it off..even when he knew his end was about to come..he still struck fear into the hearts of his enemies (read quote). I can't think of a more epic death scene in any other story.

Last edited by Kai Ver' Xion on Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I vote for Sialeeds. After what she did, it felt good to see her die. But, also, it was sad.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luceit wrote:
Quote:

Technically, the best death IS the most well-presented death, presentation here being defined as having impact on the gamer, whether they've moved, impressed, shocked or even disgusted.
For me, Gremio's death was made al the more sad by McDohl's reaction to his death, and also one scene after that (the one where Viktor hands Gremio's axe to McDohl). The effects are not immediately apparent, but we can see that his abscene permeates the main character's life. It was not presented directly, but the indirectness of it made it special long after he died.

Well I mean more cinematic and dramatic effects, and not the emotional effect. Like how Lulu is slain and drops to the ground in slow motion. I thought that was a really good choice on Konami's part, making it easier to understand exactly what had happened as well as adding to the impact on the gamer. I see what you mean though, just not exactly what I meant.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

poorguy171 wrote:

I'd say you should judge it on a combination of both factors, trying to seperate them to make a choice for each would be both dull and boring to read. The "best" death in Suikoden, so whatever you feel you like the most, on whatever grounds, be it emotionally or just technically.
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought the death to Teo Mcdoughl was the best death. A duel between father and son. The son killing his own father and in his dying words the father says how proud he is of his son.

*tear*

so great

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 14 of 18

Jump to: