Suikoden United and Irrational Kraalesque Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Chemistry question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dew Dust

2127634 Potch
200 Soldiers
104 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Chemistry question Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am hoping that maybe someone here could help me out with these couple of questions. I am curious on them and wonder how they can be. Thanks for any consideration and help:

Me wrote:
I admit I am still baffled with the idea that if a chemical reaction becomes more stable (lower energy) by doing a forward reaction than why would it want to go backwards to an unstable situation (being at higher energy). But my new question that I pose is again with regards to the atomic unit. And whether I think of it with the Bohr model or the modern, cloud theory, I am still unsure of this. If a nonmetal such as Chlorine gains an electron to make a negative ion, why is the ion radius a bit larger in size compared to the original atomic size? I mean, that extra one electron just fills the same orbital as the rest of the valence electrons so how does this increase the radius size? There is no gain in extra orbitals/cloud size and there is no effect of nuclear charge playing here cause that would actually shrink the size (though it is actually only affecting the kernal). Any ideas would greatly help.

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Both models you mention are only didactic models - they do not represent reality. As such, you won't be able to understand the increased radius of the ion with either. The Schrödinger equations describing the electrons can explain it, but it's difficult.

Maybe this non-mathematical explanation can at least motivate the increased radius: Because of the additional electron, the increased negative charge in the orbitals "pushes" each electron just a little bit further away from each other, raising the probability of assuming positions farther from the core for each electron. Thus the radius slightly increases.
Dew Dust

2127634 Potch
200 Soldiers
104 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As I have mentioned-- That is a legit, good explanation ^^
And thank you!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: