Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Kriegspiel Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Toran Republic's Presidency

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: The Toran Republic's Presidency Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is there any evidence or specific statements that indicate Lepant's still in power during Suikoden III? I think he'd be about 60, so it's very possible I suppose. Although, I wonder if they call for re-elections in Toran, I suppose it could be like Tinto where they don't hold elections and everyone magically loves the president.
Inko

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, maybe they do have relections and he happens to be on the ballet all the time because he is doing a good job, It would be kind of like Roosevelt in America.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nothing of it is actually mentioned in Suikoden 3 anyway, so I'd assume maybe he's still in power.

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I always kinda saw President as more of a title. His position was more of a benevolent dictator than anything else. Since he had the power to send military power without any consultation or anything.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Yeah, I always kinda saw President as more of a title.

Indeed, the same applies to Tinto. The word "President" should imply that the person is elected, but that seems to not always be the case these days.

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
Yeah, I always kinda saw President as more of a title. His position was more of a benevolent dictator than anything else. Since he had the power to send military power without any consultation or anything.

The President can't be just a title, after all, it is Toran Republic. And he did actually consult first with Tesla before sending out soldiers to aid City-States of Jowston to fight Highland in Dunan Unification War. The soldiers that were sent there were the ones that Toran could send without jeopardizing their own defensive power.

Yvl wrote:
Indeed, the same applies to Tinto. The word "President" should imply that the person is elected, but that seems to not always be the case these days.

Do you have any proof (or even hint) whatsoever that Gustav wasn't elected to be the president of Tinto? As far as we know, there seem to be no resentment whatsoever toward Gustav by the Tinto people. Therefore, it is quite logical to say that he was elected to be the president.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gustav was Mayor and Head of the Guild, then he went on to become President when they sought independence, although I think it's unlikely they hold elections in Tinto. Lepant is grouped into that same category, I think because of improving conditions such as the freedom in Toran and the land expansion in Tinto, no one has really questioned their leaders.
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Being a Republic usually means that the people (or the people representatives) are the one who choose who governs the country. As I see it (with no proof, but some plausible assumptions nonetheless), Toran chooses its President and he holds power more or less like a King, only that he isn't above any law, and doesn't conserve power until he's dead. I don't really see Toran having a congress or something to discuss things. As for Lepant being first President, every country needs a ruler, and after a revolution it's usually one of the figureheads of that said revolution who's choose among his peers to be the leader. Then he gained the trust of the Toran people and may have got reelected.

In Tinto I feel it's the Guild who chooses the President. Why? Well, they seem to be a very important organization there and seem to hold some great political influence.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: