Suikoden United and Irrational Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Strategic error?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
omoikane

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Strategic error? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was thinking, in Suikoden 2 why the heck Solon Jhee uses South Window forces to take over the fortress? It was obvious that their loyalty would be over somebody from City-States. If he attacked with less soldiers but without the south window forces the heroes wouldn't be able to gather the south window soldiers, so maybe the outcome would be different
Excalibur1027

The Dark Ones Own Luck

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
15000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He probably just thought that it would be better to risk South Window soldiers instead their own Highland soldiers. And the South Window soldiers would have attacked you if Freed hadn't convinced them to fight. Plus they probably feared for their lives if they didn't obey Highland seeing what they did to Granmeyer.

But I do agree though. It was a bad decision on Solon Jhee's part (If it was his decision.)

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think that it was *that* bad of a decision though. The reason is that when that happened, Solon Jhee wasn't aware of Riou being any "leader" yet. So at that time, the situation was more like "go fight and take over N.Window" just like they did against S.Window. Highland expected no meaningful resistance and never thought that there would be someone to inspire the Jowston soldiers in Highland's unit like Riou did and someone like Shu to come up with any strategy at all. Had he knew about it, he would probably had taken a different decision.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It was mainly just bad luck for Solon Jhee. Taking Northwindow would have been a breeze technically, but unfortunately for him, lucky Riou manages to get someone with brains to aid them.

He didn't even think of using a strategy or anything. Instead, he was simply just invading Northwindow blatantly. A strategy to take Northwindow wouldn't have even been nessasary actually. So i say, it wasn't bad strategy, or a bad move that resulted in his defeat, but just pure bad luck.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think he had no idea how strong they would be so he attacked without realizing about the South Window soldiers maybe defecting to Riou's side to free south window

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Its also possible that he or his strategist figured a larger number of soldiers would perhaps demoralize the opponent, leading to an easier victory.
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Solon Jhee, was kinda copying alot of the romans tactics along time ago. Just with alot less men. Throw the slaves and non citizins into battle first. It worked for the romans, it could of worked for Solon Jhee. They only thing I would of done differn'tly is not retreat. Obviously he's a terrible judge of character if he didn't think Luca wasn't going to kill him for running away. He still had a shot at the battle. And better going down with some glory, even though I think if he stuck with the fight, their supuriur trained forces would of won anyways.

The One-Eyed Jacks

30154 Potch
11 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In other words, Riou is extremely lucky they assigned the most incompetent General to the province he starts his army in. Anyone who didn't... you know, suck... would have predicted that.

Yay for convenient coincidences and deus ex machina!
Rheo

Here and There

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nah, I think all the constant victory makes Solon Jhee a bit careless.
Highland has not lost a single battle since the beginning. So why would this one be any different?

The only difference is this time, the Alliance soldier has a figure (Riou, adoptive son of the former hero, plus he inherited his rune) that can unite them.

And before the battle, Shu has asked Flicher to spread the rumor among the Southwindow soldiers that they are going to be executed. Note that the Southwindow soldiers still did not deflect in the beginning of the battle, it was until Freed Y (who the Southwindow soldiers knew) confirmed that the Alliance Army is led by Riou and asked them to join the Alliance Army.

I wouldnt called Solon Jhee an incompetent general, because its not entirely his fault. The strategy makes sense. The Southwindow soldiers has just lost their leader, and they are not in large enought number to resist the Highland Army. Remember, the City states were not very united, so they probably didnt mind attacking a fellow city state that much, as long as that guranteed their own safety. And if you want to fight a newly formed rebel army (probably dont have a large army), why risk your own citizens. It should have worked, but Solon Jhee underestimated the influence of Riou.

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Also I guess, if he wasn't careless and over confident, the plot of the game couldn't continue on/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: