Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Concerning Plagiarism and Self-Plagiarism

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Concerning Plagiarism and Self-Plagiarism Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I added the following rule to the Community Rules after some issues were brought up to my attention (despite my "don't contact me for the next 5 days!" request...)

Quote:
[*]Plagiarism & Self-Plagiarism
Copying written works created by other people and claiming it as your own is not allowed. When doing so, you must ALWAYS use the quote tags. This is also because you will be generating wordcount (and potch) through the hard labor of others. This also leads to the situation of self-plagiarism; you are not allowed to copy/paste your own work in another forum within Suikox unless you use the quote tags. This is also because you will be unfairly generating wordcount and potch.

Moderators are urged to be lenient for minor cases, such as short posts (like stuff under 100 wordcount. The concern items here are stuff that's really huge, like fanfics that generate 10000+wordcount, etc. I know how quote tags can make a post look much uglier, so there will be some leeway for this. However, I don't want anybody getting an unfair advantage over others by posting their massive fanfics in every fanfic forum they find in various nations they get sent to as ambassadors, etc.

Never a happy day for anybody when another rule is added to the community rules, but this has to be done for the sake of fairness, so please understand.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is it acceptable to simply use quotation marks for quotes that are less than one line?

Basically the same principle as formal essays, where if a quote is multiple lines you should start a new line and indent the quote. I only ask because I tend to not worry about it if the quote is only a sentence, but will use the tags if its anything longer than that.

I guess I'm basically asking if "being lenient" means getting warned, or that such actions are allowable.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't agree with this rule - couldn't there be instead a limit of one post per story? In other words, you can't post the same fanfic in every nation. If people have put the effort into writing it, they should at least be allowed a bit of credit, IMO. NoNoWriMo, for example, would have fallen into that category, and it was instead encouraged for us to post it all quoteless.

Of course, I'll still comply with this rule regardless. I just don't agree with it 100%.

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can post your own work. The only thing that would be wrong according to this rule is posting it more than once without using quote tags in subsequent postings.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, that IS what it means? Thanks, I misunderstood it.

Actually, in that case, I couldnt agree more.

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, one line isn't a problem. The only purpose of this rule is to forbid excessive stuff.
Kalidor

Blazing Conflagration

1542036 Potch
308 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was wondering how this rule will apply to things like creating polls/questionnares/surveys as an ambassador? I know that it would be possible to re-write a questionnare so that you're asking the same thing but with different words, however, that seems kind of pointless. These kinds of things usually end up creating activity and ambassadors often trade them between their home nation and the nation they're visiting. Are questionnares, which might be higher than 100 wordcount, not allowed to be cross posted too?
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Those can be placed within quote-tags, if they're excessively long and have been posted elsewhere. Folks who reply to the questionnaire can simply copy/paste the stuff and post the whole thing and not worry about using quote tags.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

so if we posted one thing we can't copy it? how long is too long? anything under 100 words needs to be quoted?

what if I post something here first that is a paragraph? or bring something to a differnt nation but change the description of the game?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: