Suikoden United and Irrational Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Speeches
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

English is only an easy language to learn if you are from a European background, for Japanese it is one of the hardest languages that exist. The grammar, the pronounciation and the sheer number of exceptions make it almost impossible. English has the hardest pronounciation (due to double letters changing sounds, etc) than any other language bar Celtic. About the only thing that makes English simple compared to some other European languages is the lack of gender. It is easy to write than most Asian languages, however really it all depends on your background.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't say English is that easy, especially if you're not a language-minded person. It's got downright WONKY pronounciation, verb tenses, while simpler, are also rather...strange, etc.... Other languages are undoubtably harder to learn, but I don't think English is so easy; it's a downright weird language to learn. Working as a ESL tutor, I've only had a couple people really pick up on it right away (and both of them had taken English in their home countries fairly recently). The others really had to work at it to get a decent grasp of it, and they were living in a culture where the overwhelming majority of information is English-only. I don't think it's that easy to learn, especially if you aren't interested in languages.

Anyway...

Despite being an incredibly shy person in real life, I don't have that much trouble doing speeches. I don't have a lot of stage fright (unless, oddly enough, I know some people in the audience fairly intimately, in which case I throw up about 10 times @_@) and I do pretty well. I tend to do better with written speeches than impromtu ones, but mostly because I think I tend to express myself better in writing; when I'm just talking, I tend to go on tangents or diverge from the topic in some way. *shrug* I think my IQ drops about 20 points whenever I open my mouth. >_< When I have a few reminders on notecards up there with me, I can usually keep things under control and keep things tight and smooth.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I am sure it will not be that easy for you to pick up.

Heh....don't worry, I'm trying to pick up French, and it's not the easiest thing in the world. All I'm saying is that I heard English is easier to pick up then others.

Quote:

By now you know too much and your brain can't handle more information unless it is interested.

I want to learn French but my brain says no.......DAMN IT.
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am not really the talkative type in front of strange people, but that does not mean that I am a shy person at all. It is just that I am the kind of person who listens to other people and talks whenever they address to me.

Last year when I was in high school, we had to do some oral presentation in our English class although we have to do it, we did not get any marks for it. Anyway, when my turn came I felt very nervouse and conscious, I nearly forgot my speech, but when I realized that there was nothing to be nervous about I regained a little confident.

The thing that made me realize it, that I remembered something an old freind told me a long time ago, he said that whenever you feel like having a breakdown just close your eyes and imagine yourself being somewhere else.

To be honest this method has succeeded in some situations I been through, but failed in others, so we will not know until we try it.

Anyway, I much prefer to write than to talk because I can express my feelings a lot easier in this way.

Last edited by Njord on Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheStrategist

Sentinel 8

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like talking in front of people, as long as their not 90 year old retirees with a dry sense of humor. I took Play classes to rid of my fear of acting-out/speaking in front of an audience...It really helps, because Public Speaking courses never helped me....Plus, if you're a writer, playwriting courses also help with dialogue in storywriting
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I`ve never been particulalrly afraid of public speaking, and I enjoy doing it a lot, as long as I know what I`m talking about fairly well. I might get slightly nervous, but it`s no big deal, and I think it`s fun.

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have little trouble talking in front of people as long as the topic isn't stuffy, I like to add humor to everything I do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: