Suikoden Ugly and Informational Kibbutz Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Five Great Imperial Generals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which imperial general do you like best? Why?
Kwanda Rossman--for his Burning Mirror
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Kwanda Rossman--for his sense of killing the elves
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Millich Oppenheimer--for his Poisonous Flowers
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Millich Oppenheimer--for his sense of romantics
9%
 9%  [ 10 ]
Teo McDohl--for his loyalty to the emperor
25%
 25%  [ 27 ]
Teo McDohl--for his resistance even against his son
8%
 8%  [ 9 ]
Kasim Hazel--for his skill in combat and sword
8%
 8%  [ 9 ]
Kasim Hazel--for his achievement among the generals
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Sonya Schulen--for her love to Teo McDohl
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Sonya Schulen--for her beauty and charisma
21%
 21%  [ 23 ]
I do not like any general of the SME since I vow my loyalty to the LAT
8%
 8%  [ 9 ]
No opinion
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 107

Kalidor

Blazing Conflagration

1542036 Potch
308 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I put my vote in for the great Kasim Hazil. He is easily my favourite of the Five Great Imperial Generals. The option I chose was for his accomplishments as well. Kasim is, first and foremost, a general. The fact that he is a magnificent swordsman and warrior is a nice bonus, but it isn't feats of arms that make a general, it is their military ability. Kasim served well during the Succession war, protecting the area of Moravia, just as he did for Barbarossa later. He also knows his strengths and weaknesses, since ha had Mathiu Silverberg serving under him as his strategist. I think this shows that Kasim is not so proud or arrogant that he wouldnt' accept help from others when it is needed.

I think that Kasim's actions during the Liberation War also show his military sense, as well as his devotion to his country, if not the emperor. Kasim knew that he had been outwitted by Mathiu, and that sending his soliders forward would be a futile loss of life, especially when the true enemy of Toran was right on the doorstep. Granted, the Jowstone forces were there because of Mathiu, but Mathiu knew this would be for the greater good in the end. Kasim was also smart enough to recognize that the people wanted change from the stifling blanket that the Empire was becoming. It would be for the good of the country, and that is what Kasim stood for. His old friend had changed, and was no longer the Emperor that he had once been. I believe that Mathiu knew this is how things would play out as well (though I'm not sure, it's been awhile since I played Suikoden), which I think shows that Kasim had always had this devotion to the country itself, and the military knowledge not to throw his troops against an enemy in a vain chance for glory.

The last thing that I admire about Kasim is how he rushed off to defend his new country right away at the end of the Succession War. He knew that the Jowston invaders were the real threat here, and that they had to be turned back. The fact that he was the one chosen shows that his military skill is quite great; I doubt that the ruler of a fledgling nation would choose someone that they didn't think was up to the task. Kasim also managed to push the invaders back which I would say is quite a feat, since the warriors of the Toran Republic had already been engaged in a long, tiring war. That they so quickly responded and suppressed the invasion shows their loyalty to their general, and the skill that the general had in routing the enemy.
Pierrot Le Fou

Rain Dogs

37957 Potch
0 Soldiers
196054 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Reading through this topic, I was laughing so hard when I read,

Black Pesmerga wrote:
Quote:
Oh one more thing, do you really need two accounts and act as if you're two different people complimenting or even contradicting (which is ever weirder) each other?

That whole scene is just priceless, you can't make that kind of comedy up.

Anyway though, the topic creator doesn't really give Kwanda much respect. He happens to be my favorite, but the options given to vote on his achievements are total Kwanda hating propaganda. "For his Blinking Mirror" wow, so deep. "For his hatred towards the elves" although I think Iron Wall Rossman should be recognized for something positive I voted for this because I don't like the elves much. They're just so damn snobby. Thats besides the point though, Kwanda gets my vote, and secondly I'd choose Millich. I never liked Teo that much, he's a bit of a meat head, and dense as a rock. Kasim was okay, but he just didn't seem that passionate, kinda bland you know. And Sonya is too manic, I wanted to keep her in that cell so she could rethink her vendetta.

But I like Millich, he and Vincent reinvented narcissists in the Suikodens. Their sense of romantics is real unique, I respect elegance like that. Besides, after the black runes were lifted from he and Kwanda you can easily see that they are the most level headed generals. Millich basically atones for his actions (even though he couldn't remember them) by saying, "kill me if you must." That takes guts. Kwanda Rossman though, while under the influence and without has some cool dialogue.

Kwanda: "Liberation army? Conceit! I shall destroy you
on behalf of His Majesty the Emperor."

And I forget really what else he says after the black rune was lifted, but it was something like, "Little kobold, you hate me too? Do what you will." Also at the end when the remaining four generals confront Barbarossa he has a few good lines. That backstory is pretty interesting as well, what was said on the first page that Kwanda saved the emperor's life by standing infront of him and deflecting arrows. His portrait is one of the cooler looking ones. Finally, as a fighter in the game he kicks butt! With one of the highest Def stats (is he the highest?) and being a total powerhouse medium range character, you can't deny his usefulness. Oh, and his fight is the first duel in the game, and the only one that doesn't involve Teo. Kwanda rocks, man.
mumbay

White Maiden Mercenaries

167500 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can someone tell me what Ain Gide was. I thought he was on of the Imperal Generals.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

he was, but he wasn't one of the five great generals.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Rufus

The Non-Persian Immortals

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My favorite was Kasim Hazel, more through order of elimination rather than any real love. This is why Kasim won the award of my favoritism over the other generals:
Kwanda - he is too brutish, a general should be quick and smart, he seems dumb yet strong. And noone wants to see a bully become a general.
Milich - well Milch is Milch.. not that theres anything wrong with that. He's just a little too feminine.
Teo - WHO WOULD TRY AND KILL HIS OWN SON!? WHO!?
Sonya - I won't comment cause i have no wish to sound sexist.
So therefore Kasim wins, it also helps with him being intelligent and good with the blade.
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just from a purely emotional standpoint, I'd have to vote for Sonya. Reason being - it takes a lot of chutzpah to be the last general standing, so to speak. To know that everyone in front of you has fallen, and that the last hope of the Emperor rests on your shoulders. Pressure, you think? And granted, that pressure made her just a bit emotional [okay, more than just a bit], but to stand and fight where so many others might have crumbled like a cookie before the first blow was struck gets major points from me.
Assassin01

Team Assassination

575125 Potch
200 Soldiers
900 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No matter what i think of the Five Imperial Generals personally i really must put my respect towards Kwada Rosman. Not only does he look cool, but he also wanted to eliminate the elves with the use of the burning mirror. I never liked the elves from the start (cause they put me in prison after i tried to help them) so getting Kwada Rosman to do the dirty work for me was one of the main reasons why i spared his life rather than just kill him.
MMan9000
Ralphy Leone Tensei
Lymsleia Falenas
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milich Oppenheimer.

He is not a sissy like Kwanda. He uses poisonous flowers. He cares for his body because he is beautiful. He's not as muscular, but what the heck? Not all of the world's significant people are steroided, anyway.

Enough said.

EDIT: Oh, and he killed Gremio.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
redxa3

Valence Turmeil

363113 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gotta love Kwanda, he's the embodiment of all the things I wanna be, strong and had the kill all elves attitude 8-) .

That and Kwanda is like KEWL... :P

Valence Turmeil
The Protectors of the Crimson Deep
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm gonna give a shout out to ol' Ain Gide. He ain't one of the Five Generals, but he's a neat guy. His loyalty was more impressive than Teo's, to me. In Teo McDohl's case, I wish I would have seen some regret in fighting his son. It was great he knew his duty, but I'm surprised he never used his influence, as Tir's father, to talk to his son one and one and try to get him to surrender. Instead he just drove the attack with very little regard for his son. I still like him a lot mind, but I was dissapointed by that.

Ain Gide on the other hand is the one that let Tir go in the beginning of the game, even though he obviously knew what was going on with Tir trying to sneak away. Just there he showed a level of humanity that the other Generals never did (except for perhaps Kasim and Griffith both surrendering on behalf of their soldiers). It's irony of course that Tir ended up becoming the Rebel Leader, so that sorta makes Troy a parallel of Ain Gide.

At the very end the Empire is finished. There's no standing army, no navy like Sonya has - Gregminster has fallen. Ain Gide erects himself as the final line of defense between Tir and the Empire. What was his goal? Killing Tir might have been possible, but staving off defeat was impossible. Even the mighty nigh-invincible Yuber, who had led the forces in defense of Gregminster, had run off (or fought a duel with Pemerga, as we are told).

But then Ain Gide fights anyways to his last breath to defend the Empire he had dedicated his whole life to. In the end he was never a bad man and even Viktor laments about how futile his death was. It was futile, sure, but it was showing a loyalty to same Emperor that had fought through the Succession War for a just and noble cause. So his death was pretty tragic.

I also wanna mention Griffith too. He's not a general or anything, but I was always impressed by the fact he willingly gave up on the behalf of his men. His thing about breakfast was also kind of amusing too. He wasn't a bad guy, it's just that the information he was given about the enemy was wrong and he ended up losing big time. I believe he also helped Mathiu convince Kasim to surrender as well.

But as for the -actual- generals. Toss up between Kasim Hazil and Kwanda Rosman.

Someone earlier mentioned that Kwanda was trying to get rid of 'the enemy' since the elves, kobolds, and dwarves offered nothing to the Empire. This was not entirely true. Windy of course has been known to harbor racial prejudices, as evidenced by destroying a Lycanthrope Village some years earlier in the Grasslands. Having Kwanda exterminate the elves and throw the Kobolds into confusion was probably just an extension of that.

Oddly enough he never attacked the dwarves. They may have been next on the list, but since the Dwarves had always been a source of high quality armor and weapons (which may explain Kwanda's awesome armor), they may have been intentionally left alone. But that may not be the case since Windy never seemed to have an interest in keeping the Empire running smoothly, as appointing Neclord governor of Lorimar clearly demonstrates. Internal strife seemed to be her game, which I suppose makes sense. What better way to make the Soul Eater, the Rune of Life and Death, reveal itself than to bring about senseless death?

Then we got Kasim. He's kind of a plan guy, but he's the only General you don't have to beat up. As someone else also pointed out, he was the only General that Tir's forces couldn't beat in a straight fight. Even fan favorite Sonya was beaten in a straight war battle, even if it required frozen boats. Kasim on the other hand had to be deceived - and worse - betrayed to the Jowston army for him to be beaten. It wasn't as if Jowston was allies of the Liberation Army. Mathiu literally sacrificed control of Moravia to defeat Kasim. To have to take such an extreme definitely speaks well of how highly skilled Kasim is. He's also the Empire's most skilled swordsman (second to Georg, I supopose, during the Succession War).

As for the others?

Milich was skilled in the sense he used biological warfare, which is something no other Suikoden character has ever used. But once that was removed, he wasn't a remarkably difficult enemy to kill. So his skills were less from being a general than being an extremely skilled botanist. Which of course, greatly improved his military prowess.

Teo had his advantages with his Armored Calvalry. Even in the Succession War the only way he was 'beaten' was by enemies holding his son captive to prevent Teo from going to battle. In the Gate Rune War he wasn't just defeated by spears, but by Fire Spears devised by the dwarves. Fire spears that were, according to Suikoden 2, capable of shooting out fire and were highly explosive. Talk about being screwed. Makes you wonder why the Liberation Army never used the Fire Spears again.

And Sonya... well she had her problems with the pirates. And then her navy is beaten by a bunch of guys who sail up in boats made of ice. Had I been her, I would have threw the fight against Tir to save myself from the embarrasment. Her attitude to Tir spoke poorly of her character. While the rest of the generals (sans Black Runes) were sensible guys driven by loyalty (whether it was the Empire or to their soldiers), Sonya's motivation was hatred for Tir. With how little Teo and Sonya regarded Tir, it's a good thing the Gate Rune War happened. She probably would've had Tir shipped off to some boarding school and be never seen again. Definitely Evil Stepmother material, that one.

So my official ratings (zomg!!!)

Kasim: A-
Kwanda: B+
Milich: B
Teo: C
Sonya: D

I voted for Kwanda killing those elves though, hee hee.

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I gotta vote for Teo McDohl simply because his amored calvary unit was awesome and he was the most loyal of the five. I'm sure everyone else already explained this. Kwanda Rossman would have been my next choice because he was the most useful of the generals that joined you.
Flik_19

500 Potch
35 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My vote goes to Kazim Hazel. He was a very good general and was as loyal as the next guy. Ofcourse he has his doubts about The Emperor but any great general would. Teo McDohl was loyal beyond comparison but what is the point if your loyalty is misguided to the wrong leader. It was obvious that Barbarossa wasn't the same man he once was.Kazim is also the Empire's most skilled swordsman other than George Prime. Hazel never actually lost to the Tir in a straight battler he had to be decieved by the Tir's forces.Kasim is a crucial character in the game and how the other characters speak of him reflects this.

Kasim Hazel
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like Millich Oppenheimer, but not for the reason stated in the poll. Out of all the Scarlet Moon generals, Millich sticks to my mind first out of all the generals there are. He was just too memorable to me. I think it's because he's very unique as a character. His botanical castle was the first I've seen. Also, he killed Gremio.

But I would go for someone just because I like him, I would choose Teo McDohl. Out of all the generals, I found Teo to be the most awesome. His armored cavalry impressed me the first time I've seen them. Also, his duel with Tir was very memorable as well. The father vs. son duel was one of the most dramatic duels I've seen in a game.

So yeah, I don't know who to pick.
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've always had a soft spot for Sonya Shulen. I picked the second choice, but her beauty wasn't the thing that made me remember her so much. I could care less that she loved Teo, and respected Tir until he became leader of the Liberation Army. Sonya had a sense of loyalty that was much deeper than even Teo McDohl's. Yes, she eventually joins the Liberation Army, but that means nothing in this sense.

She loved Teo McDohl, and hated tir after he killed him. That's mostly why she wouldn't join the Liberation Army, but her sense of duty, and the whole process of getting her made her a valuable character in my mind. I remember Kasim Hazil, Kwanda, Milich, etc...but I didn't care for them. I barely remember Kwanda, actually, but I remember him nonetheless. I think because you can talk to Sonya before leaving Gregminister, that first made her stick out more than Kazim and Kwanda for me. and I absolutely hate Milich...not for killing Gremio, but because I'm no a big fan of narcissists.

All in all, Sonya is my favorite general.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
1jesper1

1793 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Of Course Sonya Schulen For Her Beauty is the best
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: