Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Rules of Suikoden Character Names
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Rules of Suikoden Character Names Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just wrote the following at Suikosource, and I probably should post it here as well for reference...

------

This discussion has been brought up a number of times, and I probably just should translate the page from the Suikoden Encyclopedia that explains this in detail. This won't be a word-for-ford translation though, just to get the idea across. So here goes (from page 344 of the Genso Suikoden Encyclopedia).

Rules on People's Names within Suikoden
(Translated and partially re-written by Vextor of suikox.com)

In the suikoden world, there are those who have last names, middle names, and even those who only have first names. If you know the rules of how people are named, you will be able to get a general understanding of their background. There are basically four different types of names. Here are the explanations:

1. Names with Last Names (and middle names)
    Only for those who are beyond a certain rank within their country, are a member of a family with a long history, or of aristocratic background. This means, by merely having a last name (and possibly middle names), you will immediately be recognized as a person from a prestigious family. Of course, due to that fact there are those who will create false last names to fake themselves as those from the upper class.

Examples:

• Odessa Silverberg: Born into Scarelet Moon Empire aristocracy.
    • Teresa Wisemail: Born into the noted Wisemail family.
    • Humphrey Mintz: Given his last name due to his military merits.
    • Perceval Fraulein: Given his last name from Captain Galahadupon becoming knighted.
    • Augustine Nabor: May be a genuine family, but may possibly be fake.
    • Freed Y (Yamamoto): Born into the Yamamoto family.
    • Nash Latjke: Harmonian 1st Class Citizen.
    • Thanatos Crawford: A fake name used by Zaj Quilos after he "purchases" 1st Class Citizen rights of the Crawford family, and then adopted the first name "Thanatos."

2. First Name Only
    Normally in the Suikoden world, people only have first names. These are basically the common people. Even if a person has an important role within a nation, if they are born as a commoner, then they won't have last names. In certain cases, last names are granted to commoners, but rules on this depend on the nation, and these cases are typically rare.

Examples:

• Annabelle: Leader of the Jowston Alliance, but still a commoner.
    • Lepant: President of the Toran Republic, but still of commoner origin (The Toran Republic also discontinued the Scarlet Moon Empire's military-aristocracy system, although those who've had titles from before have kept their names)
    • Amada: A sailor.
    • Lucia: Chief of the Karaya Clan, but the Karaya have no last name system.

3. Elven Names
    Elves have special naming schemes, where their name is listed in the order of--

Individual Name + Mother's Name + Family Name + Clan Name

In the case of Kirkis, his full name is Kirkis Shana Ques Laviankaana. So, this means Kirkis is his individual name, by which most people call him. His mother's name is Shana, Ques is his family name, and he is from the Laviankaana clan (unfortunately, Kirkis is the only elf for whom we know the full name).

4. Special Names
    Some names have spaces (or dots) that separate sounds within their names, which make it seem like they have first and last names, but these are actually just one name. Names like this sometimes end up being created by parental whim, or sounds are added to a person's name just to make it sound better. Names of these kind are uncommon, but they don't indicate a person's cultural background or anything.

Examples:

• Yam Koo: Not Yam of the Koo family, he's just Yam-Koo.
    • Tai Ho: Not Tai of the Ho family, he's just Tai-Ho.
    • Kun To: Not Kun of the To family, he's just Kun-To.
    • Ronnie Bell: Bell is just an "affectionate ending" added to her name, so she isn't from the "Bell" family.
    • Fu Su Lu: Not Fu from the Lu family with middle name Su. It's all just one name-- Fu-Su-Lu

Okay, that's basically it. So I wouldn't say the creators were being lazy. They have indeed developed a pretty elaborate system of naming people, and they have by and large followed this rule throughout the series. That's great continuity, and one of the things that should be preserved.
Oh yes, and people can copy-paste this guide however they wish, as long as due credit is given to me. Writing this stuff, formatting, rephrasing, and thinking of examples did take like two hours, so it's just a small request.

Hopefully this will be a cure-all for any further questions about naming schemes in the Suikoden world...
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Interesting, so seeing a character's name in Suikoden reveals a lot about them, including rank and status...
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks, this is a good read.

^Actual quote!
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's very interesting, Vextor. I am personally have strict naming sense; especially name for my children.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So that's how it is.....

Interesting read Vextor, I've learned a couple things from this.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hah! I always knew I was an aristocrat. This is just proof.

But this is definitely interesting. I'm surprised that Annabelle didn't have a last name, since the her family has been the mayors of muse for at least two generations. You would think it'd be one of those 'special' cases. Same with Lepant. He was a very wealthy merchant, then became the President. Also wasn't Eileen of noble birth?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah, Milan Fiori was a SME military aristocrat.

Annabelle is just the daughter of Darel, who was the previous mayor. She got her job because she was elected as Mayor, too, so she's still a commoner by all means. Jowston doesn't have any "aristocracy" so they probably won't have a system for awarding last names. Eileen is just a very pretty lady who Lepant married when she was 16 years old (and he was like 31).
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Translate it to Bahasa Indonesia here: http://firebringer.wordpress.com/2007/02/11/aturan-pemberian-nama-di-du nia-suikoden/

Thank you Vextor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nocturne1337

Rebels of Truth

-963 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cool i never drew those conclusions. Thanks Vextor.
redxa3

Valence Turmeil

363113 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nice read Vextor, thank you.

Valence Turmeil
The Protectors of the Crimson Deep
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Glad people like it! And Calupict! Wow, you translated all that? Awesome work!
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This would of course render the names "Katarina Cott" and "Lazlo En Kuldes" (adopted kids don't generally take on their biological parents last names) complete fanon, right?

Wonder why you think Augustine might be a faker, however. I'm still wondering if Gustav gave himself the Pendragon name after becoming President of Tinto, it doesn't seem to be mentioned in any Suikoden II material.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well is Augustine actually an aristocrat? Is it actually official information he is? If not then hes probably given himself the name to fit in with his narcisst friends.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It makes sense why the Lucia doesn't have a last name. It seems between the Clans, which clan you are from is your identifier. Hugo of the Karaya Clan, Sana of the Chisa and so on. The Lizard Clan also uses their position as part of it too. Shiba, the Left Fighter of the Lizard Clan.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Very interesting stuff indeed! Good work!

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: