Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Who was the best Merc Group?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best Merc Merc?
Geddoe's Team (Royal Flush Gang)
37%
 37%  [ 17 ]
Duke's Team
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Viktor and Flik's Group
40%
 40%  [ 18 ]
Lindwurm Mercenary Brigade
17%
 17%  [ 8 ]
Maxine (The Loner)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Gilbert's Mercenaries
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 45

Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Who was the best Merc Group? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So seeing the "Pick your favorite from Duke's Group" topic got me thinking. Do I prefer the Duke's Crew to the King's Crew (Geddoe and folks)? How do they stack up to the other Mercenary Gangs?

So what do you think? Do you lean one way or the other because of the groups usefullness? Maybe you just prefer the game they were in more? What makes you prefer them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personal Favorites? Viktor and Flik's group has a special place in my heart. That's of course my bias oppinon since well who doesn't like Vik and Flik? However, Lindwurm Mercenary group are more what I tend to associate with Mercenaries. Not just four of five people, but an entire unit of men. Flik and Viktors group also comes across as a real group, with enough men for four units or so. And a lion flag! Go Lion!

Plus Flik and Viktor are both party members that makes them much cooler.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gilberts' mercenaries, of course!
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh good grief, as a Zexener I should have said that, considering Gilbert is from Vinay Del Zexay!

*Edit* Hrm, a question for anybody, they made it sound like Wilhiem's bridage was only one unit from the Lindwurm, expecially with Richard's ending saying that people keep telling him he should form his on infantry unit for the Brigade. Is this just me picking up on something that wasn't there, or is anything else know about it?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the group is like 5000 strong, no? Based out of Zelant not Falena. It's like they are a branch of the Lindwurm or a smaller subdivision I guess. So yea, Wilhelm leads a small dispatch of the Brigade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
Gilberts' mercenaries, of course!

I thought they were terrible, they actually switched sides in the middle of an invasion of a capital! They're insane! I like Gilbert though.

Viktor and Flik to me are the best mercenary group, they get involved and fight more than any other mercenary group would ever do. When you first meet Viktor and Flik in Suikoden II, you knew they were strong and meant business, plus they went up against Luca Blight so thats a winning vote right there.
redxa3

Valence Turmeil

363113 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Definetely Flik and Victor's mercenary group. They do get into things more than the others and I like they're attitude

Valence Turmeil
The Protectors of the Crimson Deep
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Geddoe's crew for me. They were simply the most memorable mercenary group for me. The team always stuck though thick and thin, and the characters were all very interesting. There's Ace and Joker to give me the laughs every now and then. There's Queen who gives emotional support to Geddoe. There's Aila and Jacques for the love team, and of course Geddoe just to make the group aswesome as hell. They're also not bad when it comes to battle too. With Geddoe's True Lightning Rune around, every battle is never that hard.

I've never seen what's so great about Flik and Viktor though. Sure, they may be popular and whatnot, but I've never really grown attached to them. It's just me, I guess.
ard

Einherjar

804051 Potch
178 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When it comes to being mercs i think the Lindwurm Brigade come to closest to resembling a full size mercenary group. I also like the characters that are part of them that we've see so far the best.
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lindwurm Mercenary Brigade. I liked Wilhelm and Mueller myself, and the fact that Richard serves as a humor character/pwnage dude for me really gets them the nod.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Lonelion

Lonelion's Naval Fleet.

4727 Potch
106 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I went with Flik and Viktor's crew,they get the slight edge of Geddoe's crew or Duke's crew,but i'll admit this poll has a impressive list of mercenary groups.

http://www.myspace.com/lonelion7769
http://www.duefiumi.com
http://z6.invisionfree.com/suikocross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well to me, Geddoe's and Duke's are different kind of mercenaries in a sense that they're more just a hired-group to do smaller scale of tasks rather than full-on mercenary unit for war. So I really can't feel that they're mercenaries for that reason. However, if we're talking about strength, then I don't doubt that Geddoe's group can kick everyone's ass with the True Lightning Rune and the others not being shabby by any means. But that's not what we're talking about anyways. So that's moot.

I just don't even consider Maxine at all. So she's out of the picture.

And we're left with Fliktor's or Lindwurm. To me, I think Viktor and Flik's might be better than what we think. But I can't deny that I like Lindwurm far more. Instead of being annoyed like Fliktor did to me, the Lindwurm is actually entertaining and interesting. Therefore, my vote goes to the Lindwurm Mercenaries.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think there are two groups left out here. As mentioned before, Gilbert and his mercenaries as well as the Maximillain Knights. While not claiming to be mercenaries, its basically what they are. Rather than accepting potch as payment, they accept honor as payment. They do what they feel is the right thing and side with the army fighting for true intentions. I think those are the best mercenaries.

To some extent that is what Viktor and Flik's mercenary group did in Suikoden II, but they were already established in Jowston/Muse territory and Luca burnt down their fort so they were thrust into siding with Dunan. For some reason though, I don't think of Viktor, Flik and Gengen (he was a part of their troupe too!) as mercenaries though, since I don't remember hearing anything about being hired or anything. I think Viktor just liked the sound of the word Mercenary.

The Lindwurm Mercenaries are more the type of mercs we have here at Suikox. Ones who do fighting for money and fame and such. Or in Wilhelm's case, he does it to get into ladies' pants. Whatever the incentive, Lindwurm mercs are mercenaries true to the word. I wouldn't care too much for them, but they proved to be the most useful unit in the major wars in Suikoden V, and Richard's in battle unit was crazy skilled. Its a damn shame we never got to use Wilhelm or Meuller in actual fighting because something tells me they'd wipe the floor with enemies. Especially Meuller, he's a frigging beast.

I'm with Aurelien, Geddoe and Duke's crews weren't really mercenaries. By title, yes, but they were a branch of Harmonian military. If Harmonia stopped paing the pay checks, would they hire themselves out to Grassland or Tinto? We may never know, but from what I saw in the game, it seemed like they were more or less a batallion of Harmonia than free lance fighters. A group of expendable scouts would be a better term than mercenaries from the Harmonian perspective. But since they are being offered as possible choices, I'll analyze them too.

Geddoe's unit is sound. Its quite the group, however unlike Lindwurm, Maximillian and Gilbert Mercenaries (Which I beleive Ace was once a part of) they had far fewer numbers. While the others numbered in the thousands, Geddoe's crew only had 5-6 people (if you include Aila in their actual group. I dunno if she ever officially joined their group or just hung out being protected by them) But those 5 or 6 are easily one of the best ensembles of mercenaries in the Suikoden Series. You have strength with Geddoe and Ace, Magic with Queen and Joker (and Geddoes True lightning if you want to get heavy) and a long range back-up by Jaques and Aila. Not toi mentiuon Aila's proficiency with the highly useful Shield rune. A sound unit if you ask me.

Duke's Unit is pretty well comprised too, but it, like Geddoe's is only 4 members strong, which minimalizes their ability when comparing to larger merc squads like Lindwurm and Maximillian. And even as a 4 man group, they lack some needed ranged power. Duke, Gau and Nicolas all provide plenty of offensive strength and Elaine serves okay as a mage, but there's no archer/ranged unit there. Nore does any of the fighters blend as a part time support mage like in Geddoe's crew (Aila and Geddoe were both well able to use magic as well as dish out physical damage) Even as a small band of mercenaries, they pale to Geddoe's crew. Also, the fact Geddoe has a true rune, dwarfs the usage of Duke's team.

This leaves the free mercenaries of Suikoden. While its titled as just Maxine, there were others who joined for a price. Watari, I beleive was one of the only ones who actually joined for potch. Also, I think Kage classifies as a mercenary as he only did work for a price as well. This was even seen in Suikoden II when he was employed by Jowy. Some could attest to Yuber being a sort of Mercenary as well. Where instead of potch payment, he did the opposite of Maximillain and fought for chaos and anarchy. He sided with the team that he felt would end more lives and cause more pain and sorrow. Payment does not have to be in the form of cash. Some of the best characters are mercenaries of sorts.

But my favorite are still the Maximillain Knights. Fighting wherever virtue and honor is needed. Fred, Isabel, Mathias and Rico were all decent units. Especially Fred, mathias and Isabel. And Max himself was a stalwart on the battlefield. I didn't care for Gary and Ema, but they were the roots of the Maximillian Knights. I like people who do good for the sake of it being the good fight.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Seraphblade

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to pick the merc group with my favorite character, Viktor. My second would've been Geddoe's.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

seeing how viktor is my favorite character i have to go with him and flik. if i didn't it deffinetly be geddoe's group.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: