Suikoden United and Infamous Kriegspiel Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

PS2 and Gamecube lifeline

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: PS2 and Gamecube lifeline Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

With the release of the PS3 and Nintendo Wii to consumers, gamers have already started plans to buy either/both systems. Some of us already have one of these systems any maybe even both; who knows.

That does beg the question, though. How long do you all think the Playstation 2 and Nintendo Gamecube will last before they are laid to rest? What I mean by this is how long do you think it will be before manufacturers stop making games for the Gamecube and PS2?

The X-Box 360 has already been out since November of 2005, and in about 1 year, it has effectively replaced the X-Box console. If it only takes that long for Microsoft's consoles to make the transition, can the same be said for the PS2 and Gamecube? Or do you think either one of the systems still has some lasting power amongst fans?

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought there have been less gamecube games than xbox games for over a year now since ea, ubi soft and others still make ports for xbox but not gamecube, so as much as I know the gamecube's been way dead before the xbox. But considering there was still madden 2005 in 04(wasn't there madden 06 for PS too?) for the playstation when the playstation games died down by around 2002, I'm sure there will still be games made for the PS2 til at least 2012, the PS2 system is more capable than PS since it connects online and can still produce good enough graphics to please the cheaper gamers so it should be strong for at least 2 more years but maybe the last good PS2 game will come out mid or late 09 or something like that.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No the PS2's success wil linger into the PS3's release and hamper it's sales, thats how successful the PS2 is and was. Nintendo might be more of a different story since the Gamecube wasn't as successful, but still, the new Zelda is released on it and Nintendo look to be planning a smoother conversion.

Once Microsoft released the 360, they pretty much stopped Xbox support, thats their way of saying "get on board or get out" to the base, and it looks to have gotten most Xbox owners to buy the 360.
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that Final Fantasy XII was the last of the big "OMG, gotta get it" games that will be released for the PS2 (and it's hardly a must have game, but that's another topic). Now, there will likely be some lesser stuff thrown out there just to keep the Sony faithful in line for when they ramp up the production of the PS3's and get a good stable of games for them.

For the most part, don't expect to see too many, if any, new releases for the PS2 by 2008. Sony could afford to have games made for the PS1 a lot longer because the PS2 sold as well as it did. The PS3, by all indications, won't have nearly that success and so they're going to need to have their developers focus solely on that system so people start buying it. There's really no incentive to buy one if games are still coming out for the system that people already have after all.

As for the Gamecube, they've been off life support and have been chilling in the morgue for some time now. At least, that's the way it seems to me. Walk into any store and look at the Gamecube section. It's pathetically tiny. Add on to that the fact that I don't care about Super Smash Brothers, Pokemon, Zelda, Metroid, or Mario, and I suppose it would certainly seem like they haven't released any games worth caring about in years, because for the most part, those have been their focus. Yes, I know you can give me plenty of examples of games they've released, and chances are I know of them and don't care, so it would be just as well if they had never released them from my perspective.

With the Wii getting all the hype that it is with people drooling all over it, there's really no incentive for them to make any more Gamecube games. Plus, unlike with Sony, Nintendo hardly had any third party support for the Gamecube, so there's not going to be as many independent titles trickling in as there will be for the PS2. That's not to say there will not be a single new Gamecube game released in 2007, but I wouldn't expect much at all.

~Uguu!~
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know, I think if anything here in north america if the Wii gets more support it may help out the PS2. I don't know about japan but it seems there are more people here that's playing games just to be playing games, so crappier stuff sells because it's cheaper. Now that the wii has basicly the same graphics as the PS2 or xbox, say if games from the big companies like ea is made for the wii, they can just either port it for or from the other systems and make more money by puting it out on all 3 systems. For one thing, if all the sports games on the wii looks just like they do on ps2 like madden, I'd be suprised if there's not a PS2 version if there's still money to be made from it in 2013.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally think the production of new GCN games will probably die down within the year or sooner(I mostly think it's the "sooner") just for the few straggling releases. It's true if you go into game stores the GCN section is getting smaller and smaller.
Also I notice that Nintendo tends to do that with it's systems in that once they have a new one out they pretty much stop production of the old system's games as soon as possible...

....the PS2 though is another story....the production of any new PS2 games will partly depend heavily on the PS3's success/sales....and...from the looks of the supply of the PS3...not to mention that hefty price that is discouraging alot of people from buying it--I'd have to say that the PS2 will still have awhile to go before it completly dissapates in new game production....

Like I know there are still a couple games that I want that are being released on the PS2 later this year....I can think of none for the GCN

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Take a look at the release list for the Gamecube. It's been dead.

As for the Playstation 2, it'll last as long as the original Playstation did-- if not longer. I'd say another two years (not including the Madden updates that'll come for another two years after that).`
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Add all EA Sports franchises in that list, along with Konami's Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution Soccer series. I remember PES2 comming out to the PSX!

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The GameCube is dead, sadly. The last big game to be released for it was Zelda: The Twilight Princess-- and that was also released on the Wii. PlayStation 2, on the other hand, will probably last until the end of the year. There may not really be any more major games being released for it, but there are still a few noteworthy releases. The new game made by the creators of the Atelier Iris series, and Rouge Galaxy (by Level 5) just to name a few.

There will probably be games released for the PS2 even after the end of this year-- but don't expect any exciting titles.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Gamecube's been dead. Calling it on life support would be charitable. The section for it in stores is getting tiny, and prices are getting slashed to the extreme, which makes me happy as if I can ever get a Wii, I'll be able to get some Gamecube classics at really low prices.

The PS2...I don't think we'll be seeing any big, big releases with massive crossover appeal after Final Fantasy 12, but I do think we'll still be seeing releases for a while, though they may be running on the dry side by 2008.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know why I put "lifeline" when I meant to say "life span". Oh well . . . too lazy to change it. Heh.

I'm in agreement with just about everyone though. The Gamecube is done. It's basically on life support. IGN's site only shows the following games with release dates for the Gamecube.

The actual list.

I'd hesitate to call it dead, though. There are still games planning to be released and companies are still selling the system. Regardless of the lack of quality the games have, the attempt in sales means that it continues to have some life. The original X-Box isn't even on display anymore, so that's what I would consider a dead system.

But the PS2 is far from dead as many of you say. A bunch of RPG's have yet to be released and there are still some titles planned during the release of this year that should catch people's attention.

Looking at it, the lifespan of the remaining 6th generation consoles reflect the availability of the 7th generation consoles. It's relatively easier to get a Wii than a Playstation 3 after one considers both supply and price. That would seem to be the reason why the Gamecube lineup is so abysmal. They may feel that a lot of us will be able to get on the Wii bandwagon in a few months. Some good games are already beginning to trickle out already.

The low support for the Gamecube is also likely Nintendo's way to forget the horrible sales of the Gamecube. I don't think they want the Wii to be associated with Gamecube quality. I'm sure that's one page they'll gladly turn as quickly as possible.

Barely any of us have the PS3 because it's expensive and most of the games suck, I'm sorry to say. Most of us aren't in too much of a hurry to get a PS3 until something neat comes out, so the Ps2 lineup looks a lot brighter. Still, I think Gil may be on to something. Beyond 2007, I think the quality of PS2 titles will decline. Sony will probably justify this by recognizing that consumers will have had 2 holiday seasons to get a PS3. I don't think they can afford to delay any big pushes for the PS3 after next December.

Edit: I was mistaken. They're still releasing games for X-Box. I concede that point to jjrs.

Last edited by Cedric on Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

The original X-Box isn't even on display anymore, so that's what I would consider a dead system.

what are you talking about? there's been way more xbox games out the last year than gamecube games and it will still be that way for years to come, there were over 100 xbox games that came out in 2006 and around 50 for the gamecube. Sports games like NCAA football and madden were still top sellers on the xbox where as no one even bought them for gamecube or the version was never even made, you can look it up for yourself.

Yes microsoft stopped making xbox systems when the 360 came out so there are no more new systems on "display" for sale anymore but that doesn't mean it's dead. Here in america where the xbox was very strong for the past few years, games will still come out for it for as many years as the PS2. Like I said before, because of xbox's popularity and the fact the Wii version will be basiclly the same games, there will be sports games, bad movie games and others for both the PS2 and xbox as long as there would be a Wii version made. But there won't be anymore up to date gamecube games anymore because it has already been replaced by a system that plays every gamecube game and it's no long profitable to make games for it.

Quote:

Barely any of us have the PS3 because it's expensive and most of the games suck

people should also stop saying that all PS3 games are bad without thinking, yes PS3 games are mainly ports but there are nothing wrong with them, so unless someone has those ps3 games on the 360, odds are that person just don't like those kind of games.

Check any review source, there's not a chart topper like zelda but there are more solid good games on the PS3 than there are good wii games, should sony have came out with more than one good first party game for the launch? sure, but for those that don't want to spend that much money for the PS3, no matter how good the launch titles were they are still not buying a PS3 at the current price. So unless you love all the ps3 games on your 360 or saved $650 to spend on a ps3 but decided not to get it because you really don't like the games, cool it with blindly bashing all PS3 games.
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The PS2 will survive into 2007 and probably drop off in 2008. Until that point, it will continue to outsell the PS3.

In general, the 'winner' of a generation tends to get an extended lifespan. The NES still had games going into the SNES era, the SNES had games going into the N64/PS1 era, the PS1 had a really strong lifespan leading into the PS2 era. No doubt PS2 will do the same into this generation.

Since backwards compatibility has been the rule of the day since the PS1 to PS2 era, the previous system generally has a longer lifespan because it's a cheaper game that can plan on the system everyone already has as well as the new system everyone wants. This will be especially true for the PS2, as it continues to get plenty of titles.

The Gamecube probably won't do the same, since it's been pretty much dead. The only notable game last year was Zelda and uh, Chibi-Robo? But it still has potential. Unlike PS3 and 360, it has nearly 100% compatibility with old Gamecube games, so I think big name Player's Choice titles will continue to be distributed this year, even if they have a small shelf presence in major retailers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: