Suikoden United and Illusional Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

A Debate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redxa3

Valence Turmeil

363113 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: A Debate Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So which one is the worse : Science vs Mathematics ?

Valence Turmeil
The Protectors of the Crimson Deep
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So much as I fail to understand them, both are quite good things...? Our lives would be drastically drastically changed without both - we wouldn't even technically be able to post right now. :P

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Math, they are the most abstract thing in the universe, you don't see a one or a two walking down the street. Besides, computers calculate faster than you anyway so besides adding, substracting, dividing, and multiplying, I don't know what else you want to know.

On the other hand, Science is a bitch. I never really liked studying what's inside a cromosome, or how the brain works...

I'm really biased, you shouldn't really pay attention to me, hahaha.

Though I agree they are both important to mankind I think science is the lesser evil. I assume you all know I mean it as the one I prefer to have it being forcefeed at school.
redxa3

Valence Turmeil

363113 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

So much as I fail to understand them, both are quite good things...? Our lives would be drastically drastically changed without both - we wouldn't even technically be able to post right now.

Yup good point you got there but how about we look at this studywise? Which one is the B**ch when it comes to studying and why?

Valence Turmeil
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Math is patterns. You do the same things over and over again unless you're trying to be a mathematician and have to memorize those awful theorems. Not a good thing to do with your time in my opinion, but to each his/her own.

With science you have to remember a greater number of concepts and usually then apply math to them. Depending on the science, hours of memorization may also be required. With more to remember, science is harder to study for if you ask me.

As for which one is "worse," I pick math. Math is boring.

Valence Turmeil

363113 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yup yup i math quite boring. I can't even do my homework right anymore cause there's so much info being thrown into my mind daily but I can still manage to score a B+ - A average. hehe. To each his own in opinion I guess. 8-)

Valence Turmeil
Inko

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Math is rather easy, I enjoy it very much. Like Sage said there are many paterns involved which make it simple, I may be a boring person, but when going through patterns and something monotonous like a math problem I enjoy it, it helps get my mind to stop thinking about other things, and even relieves much of my strees.

Science on the other hand is just a bunch of memorazation to me, to me it involves going over the same thing hundreds of times for the simple reason of knowing that Silver is the element below copper. sure I enjoy many of the more abstract things about science such as time travel, the speed of light and such, but the bad outways the good.
Dew Dust

2127634 Potch
200 Soldiers
104 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Science on the other hand is just a bunch of memorazation to me, to me it involves going over the same thing hundreds of times for the simple reason of knowing that Silver is the element below copper. sure I enjoy many of the more abstract things about science such as time travel, the speed of light and such, but the bad outways the good.

Blah--using chemistry as an example, inko =P Chemistry is not meant to be memorized. I have heard that some schools expect you to memorize that periodic table. That is not science. Science is more of logic and concepts which makes me love it. For example, not memorizing the table, but understanding why Francium is the most active metal on the periodic table is because logically it has the largest atomic radius hence its nucleus has lesser control, per say, on the farthest electrons and so it is easier to lose an electron which metals love to lose electrons for their valence orbital to achieve the stable octet. Hence why Francium is so reactive. My point is--there was no memorization there. It was all an understanding of how things work and that is why I like science more than math. Math to me is a pure science, it too is logical and pretty much right to the point, but science is too could be just as fun as math or even better than math in that it explains why nature is what it is and explains how things work around us. I find that more fascinating in understanding our bodies and our world and universe than crunching numbers.

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dew Dust wrote:
I have heard that some schools expect you to memorize that periodic table.

Yep, and my school is one of them.

But out of the two, I prefer science over math. In Science, I can learn something about how things in this world work, and I can get to apply these concepts in daily life. Unlike Mathematics, I don't get to appreciate the subject as much as I do with Science. Sure, I may apply some of these concepts Mathematics theaches me, but I personally think that I am more interested with Science concepts as opposed to Math concepts.

So all in all, it's just your personal preferrence, really.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

'Could be worse. My school made us write essays on the periodic table. Look for "Don't Eat Lead (Plumbum) Wallpaper - It's Not Wall Candy" and "Copper: OH MY GOD IT'S IN THE WALLS!" coming soon to an academic treastise near you.

I thnk both have their pluses and minuses.

Math is patterns, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing; after all, you can make some interesting artwork with it, and past a certain point even music is math. My favourite science is astronomy, which is such a math heavy subject I weep that I can't really advance further in it as I just don't have that gifted knack for mthmatics that would be required for further study. And as a child, I struggled with math for hours on end, crying into a math textbook in frustration because I just did not understand.

I danced when I found out I didn't have to keep taking maths at my university, too.

But Science...Well, Dew Dust started pretty eloquently what I like about science, but: it's awesome. It's generally a much more hands on subject which provides some break from the ""P vs NP", "Slope", etc. It's far more touchable; not as abstract. It's nice to take a break from the books to actually examine a leaf, mix together some chemicals, or see Saturn's rings through a microscope; it really cements what you're learning and help you apply it to whatever you're doing.

So while I can't really vote one or the other, I think science is probably going to bet he more popular choice for all but the most abstract of thinkers.

redxa3 wrote:
Yup yup i math quite boring. I can't even do my homework right anymore cause there's so much info being thrown into my mind daily but I can still manage to score a B+ - A average. hehe. To each his own in opinion I guess. 8-)

Hmm, one wonders how you can not do your homework at night because there's so much info being thrown at you, yet you still find time to post on a forum on the internet...?

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Seraphblade

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know what's bad? I had a one question test for AP Biology:

Let's say there's a cell in your left toe, let's call it Joe. Explain how oxygen from the the repiratory system is transported to the cell and how waste is removed. Be sure to explain the body systems involved, the processes, and name important pathways that are used. (I paraphrase)

This one was a killer, luckily I managed to get a 96.

As for math...I really don't like it because it's boring like hell, but I have an analytical mind so I usually figure things out and have no problem. Haha, I just sit there and draw in math class.

Of the two, science is harder but math is incredibly boring....So I chose to be a Biology major.
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh good Lord, I absolutely loathe math. I am absolutely horrid at it. I'm one of those types of people that can do it really well during the chapter or unit, but after that it all goes away. I am much better at science. Science is kinda in my family. My uncle has his doctorate in environmental biology and teaches at a college in West Virginia.
reggie.rockit

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't really know which one I like. I absolutely hate math. All my math teachers end up being crazy, except for my sixth and eighth grade math teachers. They wree much easier to understand. But my ninth grade math teacher is just plain crazy. I tend to like science better. Biology and Anatomy.
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Worse? WORSE?!! O_o
You can't discount either of them. They're both incredibly important! But I'm sounding snotty. ;)
I know what you mean, though.
I find something very soothing in mathmatics—the patterns fit so smoothly together once you get the hang of them. I got to the point in my physics class in college where doing my homework was actually relaxing because I enjoyed watcing all the pieces of the equations interact.
I, however, don't generally seek math out as a passtime. ;)
"science" on the other hand is something I will go WELL out of my way to participate in, depending on the field. The term "science" is so broad that you'd have to narrow it down for me so I could yay some and nay others, but as a whole I find science both exciting and invigorating.

Bill Nye the Science Guy was one of the heroes of my youth. >_< I'm such a nerd.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Phamex

Raccoon Dogs

135274 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hahaha. I'm going to go with science as the worse of the two. My reasoning: all the odd numbered math problems are in the back of the book XD Also, I have an easier time of math than science :mrgreen:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: