Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Kosher Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Are sidequests important to RPG's?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GallantWarriorGeddoe

3297 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I myself usually try and do all the side quests. Usually not only do they add more depth to characters by finding out somehting you didn't know, it may just add some to the story by finding out some of the background on a villian, and you also usually get some really nice weapons or armor. It seems to me if alot of rpgs didn't have any sidequests they would be short games. In some game like Suikoden you can't get the best ending without doing side quests because you don't get all the characters if you just go straight through the game.
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yohn wrote:
I'm probably going to have to say that sidequests are one of the most enjoyable parts of an RPG. Even if they seem annoying, they've usually always ended up playing some important part in the long run.

After playing Shadow Hearts 2, I'm going to say that I would have shot myself for not doing the sidequests. It added a whole new dimension to the game that would otherwise be missed.

I second that, besides, you get to see Terry Bogard turned into a wolf in one of those side quests, which adds to the uber awesomeness of it all.
Some games have only 1 sub-quest (Grandia I) and are good games nonetheless; I guess it all depends on how it's implemented.
I personally like sub-quests that add to character development, hunting for really nice and cool equipment doesn't always go well for me (I get bored too easily)
Malt Hitman

31st H.R. Regiment: The 31st Wrecking Crew

9905 Potch
0 Soldiers
5035 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Side quests are a great way to help extend the life of the game as well as give the player a leg up in the gloating department. If you can finish all of the side quests you do get some bragging rights and more than likely a lot of nice loot. I prefer to have my game play extended though side quests rather than playing through the game a second time after finishing it recently. I prefer to have a bit of nostalgia on a second play though rather than jamming two experiences of the same game together in short amount of time.

Of course if the game has too many side quests or they're just too hard compared to the main story then that can end up hurting the game more than helping. A challenge is fine and the place you really look for the ultimate challenge in a game is in the side quests. Usually they are able to allow a greater level of difficulty from the main plot thanks to their optional nature. Now and then you do end up with those side quests that are of the type that make you want to crush your controller. They're defiantly a double edged sword but usually well worth the trouble.
Assassin01

Team Assassination

575125 Potch
200 Soldiers
900 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sidequests in RPG Games will greatly keep my interest in the game. It has been a factor that has worked for me as i have been in scenarios where i either had to go to a dungeon but can't be stuffed, fought a boss that i could not beat no matter how many times i continued on with the game, or found myself in any other situation where i was at a dead end of a game where i had to do somthing as a prerequisite to continue on with the game. It is through sidequests that i was able to momentarily move away from the current storyline and do somthing else that will keep my interest until i am ready to continue with the game. This is the main reason on why i like games like Suikoden and Final Fantasy or any other RPG game that has a decent amount of sidequests.
MMan9000
Ralphy Leone Tensei
Lymsleia Falenas
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I find sidequests important in RPGs. They give more insight to the characters, the plot, and the like. They usually keep me interested in playing a particular RPG title too, because of the challenge it gives. But I don't think sidequests should be overstuffed in a certain game though. A decent number of them would be okay, as having tons of sidequests would most likely confuse you up with the main story. (I'm looking at you, FFXII!)
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sidequests are always fun in rpgs, but not necessarily important to enjoy the main story of the game. Most rpgs seem to make the sidequests more of a distraction nowadays than something that actually helps provide fun for the player. Square-Enix has done a very bad job with their mini and sidequests. They're pretty much monsterhunting, gotta-catch'em-all type deals which really doesn't do anything to enhance the main story of the game but just to artificially make the game longer than it has to be. To make it worse alot of the best gear and weapons seem tied to these useless sidequests.

Sidequests should always be optional. Attempting to do the sidequests shouldn't affect the overall unfolding of the game's main storyline. It should help give more details, but not anything that would make or break the story. I know some people who don't like Elder Scrolls series point out that the sidequests are all over the place. The fact that these sidequests are things that could be avoided or taken on by choice makes the game more fun. Taking a break from the main story by doing some sidequests, which usually never get to the realm of ultra-difficult, helps in the type of monetary and experience rewards they give for successful attempts. But they don't necessarily need to be done to finish the game.

Hopefully, with Japanese rpg developers seeming to look at western rpg game ideas to freshen up their own series they'll make use of sidequests that are fun to do, but not necessarily made to be mandatory to gain super gear. If the best gear is necessary to finish the game then they should be part of the main quest and not some side deal that just breaks the game's momentum.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The fact sidequests are optional by definition allows there to be a new level of difficulty to the game that would normally turn off the more timid or inexperienced gamers. And the fact remains that its still part of the game, whether or not its part of the main plot, and gives you more use out of the game.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sidequests are great, we need them, it gives one player an oppurtunity to play through the same game as another and do something different. Of course it would help if they were fun, we need to see some more in Suikoden, but I suppose thats grouped under the character recruitment.
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I find side quests fairly important to RPGs. If it were just the story and all main events to occur, I honestly think any RPG would be boring then. Side quests are fun, and usually have wonderful goodies at the end that we oh so much enjoy.

So, yes, they are important. Even to the story itself.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: