Suikoden Utopian and Informational Kosher Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Style Changes

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Style Changes Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Considering the likelihood that Suikoden 6 will be on the latest generation system, do you think that Konami will attempt to work with this new technology and enhance the style of the game? I'm not talking about what they did to Suikoden 4, I'm talking more freedom to move, such as in games like Assassin's Creed and Oblivion. Or do you think they'll screw around with other things again? And do you think this would be for better or for worse?

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if they took Suikoden V, improved the graphics and then slapped "VI" on it. Not that I'd complain about that either.
Kain

Desert Claw

297869 Potch
75 Soldiers
1196 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well to me it batter stay on they original style. u can see what happen on suikoden 4 . totally ruined the game.. i like they did in sukoden 6 old style incanted with new tecnhology

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed Wes. Konami could have just got Suikoden V, changed things a bit, and named it Suikoden VI. That's already good enough for me. But yeah, I'm open to changes, so I don't think having big style changes to the game would affect my love for Suikoden.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think giving the next game in the series a somewhat free-roaming exploration game mechanic wouldn't be such a bad idea. This is as long as they adjust the recruiting steps on the 108 Stars of Destiny. A free-roaming type of game will not go over well with characters that can only be made a recruit by visiting certain places at certain orders, etc...

Of course, with war being a major factor in the storylines of past games the game can't be fully a sanbox-style game like Oblivion since certain regions can't be visited due to them being behind enemy lines, but those areas that can be safely traversed should be accessible right from the get go and same for the quests in those areas.

Which brings up what I'd like to see next and that's mini and side quests that helps in raising levels. Grinding it out in areas just to get potch and levels is fun but makes the game last longer than it really is. Put in miniquests that may not affect the overall story, but does reward players with a nice chunk of exp and potch if they decide to go through with it.

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I honestly don't think free roaming would work well for Suikoden. The reason is that Suikoden is very heavy in the story, and therefore order of doing things matters. Free roaming would make this a bit more difficult to implement because free roaming is well .. free.

What I do want to see is actually combining free-roaming with being linear. So in a sense, there's the "default way" (this is where the strategist prefer you to go to) and the "alternative way" (this is where the strategist said as an alternative) so that there is a sense of free-roaming because you choose where to go, but it still maintains some linearity that is important to the flow of the story.

One thing that I really like about your idea, Tullaryx, is the sidequest part. I think it's going to be brilliant in extending the length of the gameplay even further. Simple sidequests that aren't related to the main storyline would be very nice, and of course, this gives even more room for character development if the sidequests involve some characters (maybe like bringing Miakis back to Sauronix, and she found a childhood friend in trouble or something). However, giving big exp reward might not be something that I like. The thing is, Suikoden is a game where it is very easy for the game to control our level due to exp reward system. You're not going to be "far too strong" for most of the cases. I'd really like the reward to be more about either money, or unique equipments/items, or special things (who knows, maybe learning a new unite attack or something?).

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, but exp reward would be good as well if appropriate for the level of difficulty of the sidequest. Finding a child's beloved pet wouldn't get much, but solving a mystery in a city whose ruler hasn't joined the hero's army should give heavy exp. The ruler will still be joining the army down the line, but getting exp for it because you did something good for him or her would make for a nice plot development.

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aurelien wrote:
I honestly don't think free roaming would work well for Suikoden. The reason is that Suikoden is very heavy in the story, and therefore order of doing things matters. Free roaming would make this a bit more difficult to implement because free roaming is well .. free.

I think it could work really only if the game was purely played as a MMO, as AI hasn't progressed enough where it would be anything but a major hassle as far as actual gameplay goes.

I actually wouldn't mind some tangible impact upon the storyline, where instead of simply playing the story and in some cases its multiple endings you could in a sense create the ending through the gameplay and your actions in the story. This has happened in a sense in PC gaming alreadybut it is still limited in what one can accomplish and theres really no possible deviation from the basic story at all. Taking an example from the KotOR series, you have a level of impact with character reactions & endings but other then that same objective, same inherent storyline. (eg. As a Sith you cannot be given the option to deviate from the jedi and lead the Sith instead, you have to kill or turn them to jedi) One could speculate that this was somewhat trialled in Suiko3 to an extent.

Surely that if Suiko6 is to be on the now current gen, and its media being that much larger then the now past gen, more can be done not just in a graphical sense of making richer worlds but of actually making volatile stories, where you are not just thrust into leadership, walk the one path and really only decide what characters see action and in some cases live and die. Instead, the possibility of being thrust into leadership, telling them to stfu and squashing their organisation isnt as far fetched as it once was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: