Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Kibbutz Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Ethiopia bombs the capital of Somalia....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Ethiopia bombs the capital of Somalia.... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All right I know this is not exactly news people want to discuss today, but it is something that should be looked at as a whole. While I was carowsing the net tonight prior to heading to sleep, I passed by yahoo, and found that bit of news. According to the Prime Minister of Ethiopia they sent their fighter planes into Ethiopia's capital Mogadishu, and small towns in the surrounding area to stop an Islamic movement. They claimed that the situation got to the point that it was needed at least in their eyes to get themselves into a war. There is no word yet on what the goverment of Somalia's response is going to be, or what further ramifications this will have in the near future. However, I dont really know a whole lot about the situation with the islamic movement, but maybe some of you would be willing to relay any information you may know.

However I do know some information on the current situation with the goverment in Somalia that I can pass along, to add some debate and such to this. For the last fifteen years Somalia has been lacking a solid and strong goverment since warlords within the country overthrew long time dictator Mohamed Siad Barre. Only two years ago, the Un helped to establish a new goverment within the country, one of the few things I see as good that the UN has done lately. However recently, an islamic movement has seemingly taken control of the capital and neighboring areas ruling them by council. While not normally a bad thing, if they were more tolerant of things, however they are more extreme, and almost Taliban like in their activities. Since the bombing, the goverment has started to move in their military, and start retaking control of some areas, which should help stability somewhat.

Now you might be wondering what this could possibly have to do with Ethiopia, one of Somalia's neighbors I believe. Well it has become known that the islamic movements council, has declared "holy war" against Ethiopia. This seemingly led the goverment of Ethiopia to send some strikes against them, to ward off said possibilities. Yeah I know this whole deal is somewhat complicated but feel free to add any thoughts, or opinions.

Hungry Drunken TigerMen

569802 Potch
3084 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dude, what I saw on the news is all i know and thats mostly what you already said, but one thing: they said on TV that Somalia government formally declared war on Islamism due to what you posted. Another hot spot in Africa, and since I have no religion another one I truely cant understand...lol
zincbrain

Uttuku

441117 Potch
200 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This war will last for maybe have been started when Islamasits took power in Somalia. In late July I believe
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

These situations are cloudy at best. The Ethiopian government might be doing this cuz they want to prevent an attack, or they might just be getting hungry for land. I personaly have stopped trying to research African military history cuz it is something that one needs to spend a great deal of time on, time that I lack at the present moment. However, turmoil isn't something new to either country and this will end up causing more civilian casualties than anything....It's a shame really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: