Suikoden Uncanny and Illusional Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Final Fantasy XII
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Buy, for all RPGs, always buy. That's my policy at least.

Quote:

Espers are practically useless in this game, except on showing off their awesomeness.

Espers are actually useful if you know how to use them. The trick is to summon them BEFORE you go into a major battle. If you run into problem during the battle, then its best to use quickenings instead.

Does anyone know anything about the fishing minigame?

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:

Does anyone know anything about the fishing minigame?

I've done all there is to do in the fishing game; what do you need to know?

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Uhh... how does it start?

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You need a fishing rod! To achieve this, you need to have reached the Port at Balfonheim and have the Barheim Key (you get this Key for helping the guy who is ill in the hut near where the fishing takes place). Once you've done this, go and talk to the guy who does the fishing (he's near the river in the Dalamasca Estersand, where the Gate Crystal is) and once you've done that, return to Balfonheim and talk to the guy who is fishing near the Aerodrome. Walk away from him after talking to him for a while (but don't leave the screen/area) and return to find him gone, but having left his fishing rod where he sat. You then take that back to the guy in the Estersand to start the fishing game!

I hope this is enough to get you started. If you've any problems with any of this, feel free to ask.

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That should help, I'll try it later tonight, thanks.

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've finally done everything there is to do in this game, so I'll give a review of sorts. (that last Mark took me the best part of ten hours to kill)

I think that the main strengths of the game lie in its characters, battle system and its side quests. Although admittedly, these elements also have their weaknesses.

There is very little character development in the first half of the game, and has already been mentioned in this thread, there seems to be an absence of an actual main character, however I don't really think this is such a bad thing. It just seems like we are being lead to believe that Vaan is the main character, but he has very little development or plot involvement; some of my favourite characters in this game were Basch, Balthier and Doctor Cid, all three of whom who had one or both of the aformentioned. The story itself was decent, but nothing really special, and far from original.

The battle system is quite good I felt, once you really get the hang of it, and can be a refreshing change from a loading screen leading into a random battle every few steps. The gambit system works quite well, and managed to keep my safe in another of the much longer fights, that would have been very tedious to control myself. I often found myself getting annoyed however, when there was a character dragging far behind trying to cast Green magic all the time, and often walking into traps when it had finally satisfied its desire to cast Protectga on itself. On the subject of battles however, some of the longer battles would often become boring and tedious, and I really didn't enjoy 'banning' certain commands (Attack, Magick etc.) or when an enemy would decide to become immune to magic or immune to physical attacks; which often just seemed like a cheap excuse to stretch out some boss fights.

Mark Hunting is easily the games main strength however, along with the ability to explore vast areas outside of the games main plot. I would find myself trying to defeat as many marks as possible before carrying on with the main story (although, this could oftentimes make me forget where I actually was in the story, or what I was supposed to be doing), but it was some of the most fun I had in the game. There was satisfaction in defeating these oftentimes difficult monsters, and the reward was sometimes well worth it also. I have to admit though to being somewhat dissatisfied with the reward I gained from defeating that final optional boss, the final mark and completing the fishing quest. It was a good weapon, but it made me extremely slow. Going on little mini-adventures of your own design could be fun, I would sometimes just set out and see how far I could travel before the game would stop me, but I would be disappointed with the lack of reward I would get most of the time for my efforts of exploring. I didn't really mind the journey from Rabanastre to Raithwall's Tomb, but the journey from Bur-Omisace to Archades felt a bit pointless.

It is a good enough game though, far better than Final Fantasy X, and with a cast of characters to best most Final Fantasy games since Final Fantasy VI, in my opinion.

Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There also was a lack of danger. It really didn't feel like anyone was actually trying to kill you, you know? The guards were surprisingly friendly, and I really would have had no problem leaving Dalmasca in their hands. If they had developed how prosperous Dalmasca was before it was conquered at all, then I might have cared. THAT is the real problem, I think.

The other problem is that the characters really weren't deep at all. In FFVII, you have Cloud living a lie for the entire first half of the game, in FFVI you have the deep emotions of Celes and Locke and the odd circumstances between Edgar and Sabin, FFX there's a whole mess of things wrong with Tidus and Aurons' mere existence. In this game, it's just... one single encounter completely resolves Fran's story, and Basch's story is half resolved by the time you even can use him. And Penello and Vaan don't have a story at all! I definately disagree that the characters are the game's strong point. None of them except Ashe and Balthier, and a little bit of Basch at the end, actually contributed anything to the game. I still have yet to beat it, however, but I doubt that there could be enough character development to save the game within the ending cutscenes.

And again, if guards had pursued you at all at least while you were in their goddamn capital, then we might have seen the characters in more drastic situations, and learned more about them.

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I felt that the character's strong points weren't necessarily their involvement, but rather that they (and their stories, as brief as they might have been) felt much more realistic and generally more unique and interesting than a lot of what we had seen in previous Final Fantasy games. I suppose maybe these characters just appealed to me more than a lot of characters from previous installments.

I understand and agree partially with what you're saying, and it reminds me of another problem I had with the story and characters though, wherein whilst I felt they were okay, I didn't really feel any emotional attachment to anything. I have to admit though that whilst the final boss and segment that aren't exactly enthralling, the end of the game does add quite a lot more to the story, characters and also a sense of danger from what the Empire could be capable of, I felt.

Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got this game as a early Chirstmas present and I've been playing it little by little. I just stopped at the Nalbina dungeons after fighting Firemane or whatever it's called. I'm conisdering taking this game back for a refund because I'm bored of it already. The gambits are okay but the AI for my party acts dumb sometimes, plus I can't stand the MMORPG way of battles.

Guess I got spoiled with Tales of the Abyss battle system. :P

Oh and before I thought a FF story with politics would be cool, but I can't remember anything about the plot so far. It's so uninteresting.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Of course the game will be boring if you rely heavily on the gambit system. To increase the excitement, you should have at least one character with no gambits, and turn the battle speed to maximum.

But if you didn't enjoy the plot so far, then yeah, you will probably want to return it. It doesnt get much more interesting until the end.

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hay everyone. I got this game for Christmas too. I'm also a little bored(or irritated- but I'm used to that) too but I think I'll give it a chance. I'm at like.. 3 hours in the game and I have to go to Lotown or something.

The opening was just weird. It was like everytihng was happening all at the same time and I couldn't process everything. First Ashe marries this guy, then they go to war and he dies, then you're in a fortress controlling a certain main character's brother(omg, spoilers) then other stuff happens.. then Ashe kills herself? Isn't she playable? Such trickery!

Gameplay itself is fun enough. I just hate how there's no blocking or anything at all. While fighting it's like... Vaan attacks, waits, gets attacked, attacks, waits, use a potion if needed, etc. The License board is neat but slightly annoying. It's just weird how you have to learn how to use some weapons and armor from it. I haven't had trouble with it yet, but I have a weird feeling that I'll get a good weapon eventually and I won't be able to wield it.

The Clan thing is fun, I guess. I only killed a Rogue Tomato.. such excitment on Christmas. I accepted some other guy's request but I can't get to the place to fight it because the gates are closed. Lame. And at that time, I needed to save and do something else but the gates were closed to the save crystals too so I couldn't save either. Boo. It was annoying.

The graphics during FMVs are good.. Squeenix is knwon for that, but the graphics after FMVs are horrible. They're ok if you start with them, but seeing them after an FMV is a big difference. I remember that one scene with the long black-haired guy giving a speech and the graphics were good, but then it went to normal graphics and it looked like his face had been smashed with a shovel. Several times. =/

Oh well. I'll keep playing eventually. We'll see if the AI gives me any problems or anything... if I actually get anywhere in the story soon.

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rei Rei, for you, the game WILL get better. Not enough to be at all comparable to any other RPGs, but bearable.

And there's a trick you walked into. The guy telling the story is one of the characters, a rather important one at that. The game is translated well, too well. If you could, I'd tell you to look closely at what he says again, but then you'd have to restart and such.

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The guy telling the story is the guy I met at Lotown or whatever it's called. I can tell becase they both sound old and hindu. Mm hmm.

I don't understand the rest of your post with restarting and all. I just played the beginning hours ago so it's pretty fresh in my mind..?

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Agahnim

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rei Rei wrote:
The guy telling the story is the guy I met at Lotown or whatever it's called. I can tell becase they both sound old and hindu. Mm hmm.

No, you'll meet the guy who tells the story a pretty soon.

Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm still waiting for it to be released in Europe, why must it take so long?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 14 of 20

Jump to: