Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Kriegspiel Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Source of names on SARS War Map

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Source of names on SARS War Map Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's a silly question... on the SARS Board Map, where did the names of the regions come from, especially those in the continent area that we don't really know anything about?

http://suikox.com/board/setting/

SARSadmin also posted the Suikoden continent map... I'm wondering how much of the map came from official sources, and how much was just kind of made up.

Thank you!
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

IIRC, he made up most of the places we don't see...but a lot of them (like Kanakus) have been mentioned.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kanakus is a name I made up. Kanakan, on the other hand, is an official name.

Most region names in unexplored nations came from the cooky mind of SARSadmin. A few nation leaders chose to make up their own, however.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Suikoden continent map was based on a mix between the maps in the games, official information and assumption.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lebenengel wrote:
Kanakus is a name I made up. Kanakan, on the other hand, is an official name.

Most region names in unexplored nations came from the cooky mind of SARSadmin. A few nation leaders chose to make up their own, however.

That's a fun fact that I did not know.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hmm... how interesting, I'm gonna go and check this map out but first, I thank you all for this thread... thank you
Rocky

Harmonian Paramilitary Spearmen Corps

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd like to ask if the Island Nations islands featured in Suikoden IV will be changed to the official US names (ie Ovelle = Obel, Nei = Nay, etc)... Or will they be left alone? Also, will a few more places like Middleport, Fort El-Eal (sp?), be added?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm sure that if SARSadmin has spare time (which most likely won't be for a few months), he'll take my request to change the names to official ones. Or he might end up doing it himself.

The regions on the map are the ones I've chosen/made for the war battles. Each nation started with ten regions of their own, which makes up 100 regions that can't be added to or taken from.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd be curious to know which region names were make up, and which ones were pulled from actual game text... just to know, more than anything else. Along the same lines - where'd SARSadmin get the Map from? For example, the lake in the middle of the continent on the Tinto side? Was that just made up, as well?
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If it's a nation that's been explored, the regions are official. If it's a region that's been mentioned but the nation is unexplored, it's official, but its location is obviously inaccurate. Other than that, it's all fake.

The map is a fan-made project that receives updates after each new Suikoden world map is shown (it only covered Toran and Dunan originally, with later-revealed places like the Grasslands and Zexen having fan-inspired geography). As for the map's accuracy, the old rule still applies-- if we haven't seen it in a Suikoden game, it's not official.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I made the map myself, tracing the profiles of known areas with tracing paper, and then scanning the result into the computer. After that, I used a graphic program to make the whole thing better-looking (although it can be improved way more, but it works for now).
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ooo, I think that someone had stolen it from you a few years ago, then. I remember seeing it described as a group project a while back on a site you never visited. I knew you updated it, but never knew it was a solo project.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey, are you back for a bit, SARSadmin?

I am curious as to how much exactly was "made up" so to speak. THere are sources other than the games of Suikoden information, so, for example, they might have shown part of the world (without details), for example, that was added in. However with your statements I think I have a pretty decent idea of what's pretty-clear-cut and what's not.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Lebenengel answered your question already. Toran and Dunan we know of (Highland's area we know of, but the regions were mostly made up) along with Grasslands and Zexen's geography. Tinto's region is a mix of what is known, and what can be assumed due to information with battles against Zexen.

Island Nations - I can't remember if the map was updated with new information on locations, but I havn't played Suikoden IV so I wouldn't know either way.

Nameless Lands, Harmonia and Falena are all made up as we have not visited the lands in the games. Suikogaiden II took place in Harmonia, but there was no map or over-view of any region to give any base for geography.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: