Suikoden Uncanny and Irenic Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

ESL and dialects (inspired by the Banner Competition)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Car park instead of parking lot eh?

In Canada we use Parking lot, but we use honour, and armour and colour. ANd I would never call the Americanized english language english. Call it broken english. The lack of ties to Britian has done to to the english language what the lack of ties Quebec to France has done to their french language. **** France, go Broken Québecois french any day.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here in Kentucky we have it pretty bad for the most part. Slang is thrown about all over the place.

Our English teachers are great, though. During my stint in high school, all of my English teachers tought the language perfectly. They even mentioned the differences in color and colour, armor and armour, etc...

There's English, American English, and then there's Kentucky English, which is a whole other ball park.

I mean... ball lot?
?Guile?

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

us americans are just lazy so we took out a few letters.
nightrider

1000 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here in the US we don't have many books changed like that, or at least the ones I don't read. I have read many books (for school and for pleasure) from the UK that have not been changed at all, however I never read any Potter books. Saben, I do not appreciate you calling my language "stupefied" because the American society has chosen to spell words differently or use different phrases then your own. There are terms from Britain and England that do not make sense to me like "water closet." I don't think that American English is any better then true English, but I also don't feel that it is inferior. By your logic it's saying that current English is the stupefied version of the English that authors like Shakespeare used, on the grounds that it is modified to some extent.
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yup, I enjoy Shakespearean English and do think that modern day English is also 'stupified', I mean the difference between 'thee' and 'thou' is the same as the difference between 'me' and 'I'. I fully support the King James version of the Bible as opposed to the modern day simplified versions, just as I am deadset opposed against any simplification of Shakespeare or other classic works. As for simplifying the language for international usage (I agree that English is hard for non-native speakers to learn) I think everyone should just use Esperanto.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Edge Riou

Brotherhood of Strife; Fate

311768 Potch
11 Soldiers
724673 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally speak English and I was wondering if English is the most different language compared to the other world-wide languages (and yes, I find it sad that I do not know this question).

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In Kuwait English is our second language. It is one of the basic classes in our schools. What we really study is the British English. However, we are more influenced with the American English, because of the American movies that we see.

Speaking about Kuwaitis, we are influenced by the American English more than the British English; however, we are in need of British English speakers, since the majority of foreign people in Kuwait use the British English.

I remember once in high school we had to write about the differences between both of British and American English. What we get in conclusion that the American English is a lot easier to teach and learn than the British English, because of its words that are easy to remember and pronounce.

By doing this report, we got a few tips about how to make the British English easier to learn. One of the points was to use the British words more in our discussions and daily lives.

Last edited by Njord on Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I personally speak English and I was wondering if English is the most different language compared to the other world-wide languages (and yes, I find it sad that I do not know this question).

English is considered a very difficult language, but not the most difficult. The official title of most difficult language belongs to Basque, because it is not related to any other language.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bugg wrote:
I mean, let's reverse the role. If you're in Australia and there's an American book, obviously you'd prefer to read it in British English rather than in American English. While it's not necessary to have it in British English, it's still preferable for those who use British English.

Well, speaking for myself, not at all. As long as I can understand it, I always want to read a book or videogame in its orignal language, as it was intended to be read by the author. I much prefer British English(more on that below), but if I`m reading an American book I`d prefer all the American terms to be retained. And it`s not like it`s hard to figure words out based on the context anyway...

About the topic: Here in Norway, everyone learns British English in school, and all the textbooks use the British spelling. Britain is perhaps my favourite country, and I plan to move there some time, so obviously I try to keep to the British spelling whenever possible. Since English isn`t my native tongue, though, I`m sure I mix up American and British terms from time to time.

*EDIT*: I didn`t see the second page before now, so...about English being difficult to learn: Compared to French, English is much more simple when it comes to pronounciation, verbs and so on, at least it seemed that way to me. I`ve been exposed to English from a much younger age, and it`s pretty closely related to my mother tongue, though.

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I "can't even get english right" so I think I'd be sad trying to learn somthing else.
I can't even learn the language of math.
but who knows, I was classiflyed all through out school, and no one, then those who saw I wasn't a halfwit didn't ask if I wanted to learn somthing.
I had friends who's GPA or whatever was so high, always they -had to take a language-.

so heres idiot me with poor poor english and a speech problem (any language out there that dosen't have a lot of S's and Sh sounds?)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jurhael

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As a Greek/American, I use American English and speak American English. My Greek mother does too, but she's lived in America for about 27 years, so she probably used to learn by British English until she moved to America when she was 18.

I'm not going to get thrown off by British spelling though as it's little different than American anyway. Centre=Center. Gray/Grey OHHH! Hard! But, I did get thrown off by "Water Closet" until I remembered how "WC" was used for bathroom. So, I'm assuming that Water Closet=Potty?

Then again, in the US itself, it's not uncommon to have something like spigot, faucet and fountain mean the same thing.

Quote:
Is it pretty much just America that keeps their toilets in the same room as their showers/tubs?

In Greece, it's a toilet, sink, tub and washer. Clothes are hung over balconys or heaters. But, I'm judging by what I've seen. Heh.
Seakida

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, I always thought that this forum was american dominated, I stand corrected.
Well for all you who dislike the american-english language, I kneel down for your roasting. I am just a naive 15 year old American.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1127979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As Pyroflame pointed out, in Canada we pretty much use a hybrid of English and "American". Through-out my life, I've don't believe I've ever used "car park" though I have used "car port". I also spell colour, etc. with the "u" though with the "s"/"z" variation on some of the words I usually use a "z" ("zed", not "zee". I only use "zee" when it's part of an official title, such as "ZZ Top")

Bugg wrote:

For those who use American English, they should have books in American English instead of in British English. I mean, let's reverse the role.

I can tell you that almost every internationally available publication I've read uses the American spelling of words, even if it was written and printed in Canada. Dreamwave Productions, a Toronto-based comic company never uses the English spellings of words like "colour" and always opts to spell it "color".

Thankfully. we get books like the Harry Potter series as the author wrote it, and the same goes for any American written and published material. If you are under the impression that books are always translated from American into English, I'm afraid you are mistaken.

One thing about the American version of the Harry Potter books/movies which has bugged me is the name change specificall to the Philosopher's Stone, particularly since the philosopher's stone in question was based off an artifact that has non-fictional origins. The reason given is something like American children wouldn't understand the "philosopher's" stone, but would "Sorcerer's" stone because of the magical setting of the story, and by including a term which children may not understand they could become confused and stop reading.

I can understand the concern, but if someone doesn't understand the meaning of something, which is weird considering Hermione practically explains it herself, they can always either ask someone what it means, check a dictionary or encylopedia or do a search on the internet. It's the adult attitude of dumbing things down to the point they think children can comprehend, that they fail to realize that it's easier to learn things if it's something you enjoy. Given the success of the Harry Potter series, I would fathom a guess that children enjoy it immensely.

A while back, I read a novel by John Kennedy Toole titled "A Confederacy of Dunces" in which the dialogue of characters were written to simulate the dialects of each character. For some characters, this could get quite confusing and make them difficult to understand, but I didn't stop reading because of it. I think publishers should give children more credit instead of talking down to them, since the Harry Potter series contains many terms invented for the story which could be just as confusing as "philospher's stone" had they not had a throwaway line of explanation.

For example, while watching the DVD for "Chamber of Secrets" my parents were confused over the meaning of the word "muggles" since there was no such throwaway line in that movie.

Of course, there are some British phrases which are inappropriate for North American audiences since the meanings of several words are radically different, and when used in a phrase can be completely misinterpreted. Well, I've rambled on enough so I think I'll shut up now.
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Being an American I have to say that all of the rules and structure in the English language is very difficult. Most Americans can speak it very well, but the average American has a hard time following all of the rules when we have to write with it. And the words with multiple meanings when used differently is staggering to me.

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i bake biscuits, not cookies. (yet american english has perveresed the word cookie to mean something completly different). i take an elevator, not a lift. i eat tomahtoes, not tow-may-toes. i like the colours of the rainbow, no particular color.

the economic implications of having to translate and change text books in not justified: all of the text books at my uni, while at times localised in Subject content, are not altered to suite our british system.

while it irks me, i understand that it would be a waste of resources. people in america at the printing press would be "irked" re-doing a book in what they consider "Crazy" english. there would be unjustifiable costs involed in sending a "different" edition to press. after all, the MAJORITY of words and expressions are common between the two english systems. plus, whatever doesn't sell in america can get shipped off to "crazy" english speaking places, or just hit the press with the american edition. wouldn't want to give the job to "english" printers to modify it. keep jobs in america and maintain the american economic "superiority" (dominance)

ooh, let's not get into that shall we. :shock:

yet the spelling in text books do not irk me. what does is when idiots expect you to conform to their system. my ex was american, and he was bothered by my english words. his american i would only play up once he started criticising *he liked doing that a lot to me* anyway, no. i speak the way i speak, and i will not expect anyone to change, or constantly comment on how "bad" it sounds, unless you do it first.

of course, i could giggle a little, because it is something different. but i wouldn't go so far as to kick up a fuss, call it a "disgusting" accent, and what not.

afterall, we Australians have the "sexiest" English accent. (so it would appear, but i prefer the british accent)

the biggest place i noticed a "uniformity" amongst english is in singing. watching Australian Idol, i was indeed irked that it appears when ANYONE sings, it defaults to american pronounciation. i can't change it either. the only time it changes is in goth, rock or punk songs, where a non-american accent adds GREAT effect, or people who will not give in: suprisingly, listen to the 'musical' garbage that is the Spice Girls.

the reason the "americanisation" of singing is that it's seemingly unconcious. for those who did not learn american, adopting an American accent involves straining our more relaxed voices to change pitch to "anal" range, and tone to "pleasant".

I'd rather sound harsh than (sickeningly) saccharine. yet i Totally understand what an american says. i just can't stand those who think we got it all wrong. I don't think you got it wrong either. it's just a difference of bitter unresolved resentment towards britain, haha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: