Suikoden United and Irenic Kriegspiel Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Bully

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Bully Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man, what is it with this season? Not only are the Wii and PS3 consoles coming out next month; you have games like Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria, Tales of the Abyss, Final Fantasy 12, Okami, and Vice City Stories released at the same season. Many of those have the potential to become best sellers, if not already predestined for the title. My wallet has holes in it!

I picked up Bully by Rockstar Games (Grand Theft Auto: 3 fame) not knowing what to expect. This game has been the target of ignorant politicians claiming that this game is like a training video for school shootings. But all that publicity and high scores, made me interested enough to buy the game myself.

If anyone has played Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City, or San Andreas, then you can basically pick up the controller and just play off the bat. It moves the same and at times it even looks the same. Because there are so many kids in the background, it sometimes tends to lag the game, although it's not too bad.

But what separates this game from GTA is the premise. You're basically the new kid named Jimmy and you're a delinquent. Your mom and step-dad drops you off in what I'm assuming is a boarding school in a college town. (It's not college though; you're only 15 in this game).

The problem with this school is its reputation for being one of the toughest schools in the country. There is no difference between the prefects and bullies, they all push people around. As a matter of fact as soon as I entered the school gates, some moron pushed me right off the bat. I was experimenting with the controls when I accidentally input the punch command. Next thing I know, I was duking it out with this guy until one of the prefects started running toward us. According to me Grand Theft Auto instincts, I hightailed it out of there. To my surprise the prefect didn't go after me, but he choke/takedown-ed the other guy, Man this place is crazy.

This didn't change at all when I was starting to go through the main missions. Everyone here has some serious psychological issues. this is more to poke fun at schoolyard stereotypes, though. Anyway, I was given a uniform, and to my surprise, they made me go to class. "What the heck!" I thought. They're going to make me go to school here too? I didn't feel like going to class, but the prefects caught me once again, so I had to go. Hilarious!

Classes are fun though, so I learned not to mind. Also, if you pass the lessons, your character gains abilities. This can range from increased accuracy of your thrown/fired items, creating stink bombs, and gain more health by kissing girls (I'm serious). Eventually, I passed all five lessons of:

Art (unveil-the picture minigame)
Chemistry ( Dance Dance Revolution type of mini-game)
Gymnastics (Dodge ball and "wrestling")
English (Jumble minigame)

So I didn't have to go back to class unless you want to. I guess that means I got an A for the course.

I shouldn't be having so much fun with this game, but it's really great to be the worthless kid in school without having to be one yourself. I'm only in the first chapter, which is a tutorial. But already, I've seen different things:

* I beat up 4 bullies with a fire extinguisher. It would have been 5, but Russell, the biggest bully game, so I ran away. Seriously, that big guy won't die. (I mean that metaphorically, no one dies in this game and you can't kill people)

* I picked a lock in a locker which got me some new clothes. I almost got caught by a prefect, but I hid in a trash can to lower my wanted level.

* While fighting a bully, I accidentally pushed him into a little girl. Crap . . . "hitting" girls or little kids automatically sends your wanted level sky high. It didn't take the prefects long to bust me. I just had to pick a fight in front of the school building.

* In the Halloween mission, some guy wearing a pumpkin head costume gave me marbles to trip people as a prank. I did what he wanted and tripped a jock in an astronaut costume. I thought I was done with that when all of a sudden pumpkin head trips me from behind. Apparently, he tripped over the marbles himself and now he was mad. I didn't have time for the guy, so I "instant killed" him by stuffing him in a trashcan. Before that though, I went UFC/Kurt Angle on him.

If schoolyard violence offends you, then skip this title. But if you want to experience that setting in the most extreme way, then you'll enjoy this game.

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I ran it for a few min after renting it and it felt more like the warriors than any GTA game, I'm sure it's fun but I'm getting a bit tired of running around beating people up and then doing some quest missions over and over for a 20+ hours game.

I never really spent more than 5-10 hours on any of those kind of games before something more exciting came alone for me to play so maybe it's just me, but there are so many games that plays that way it's sickening just thinking about it. In about the past month there's a handful of games exactly like that came out, saints roll, god father for the 360, scarface, just cause, bully... none of them are really bad but it all plays the same way, at least bully won't involve car stealing over and over again so thank god for that, although I'm sure there are other kinds of almost required gameplay gimmicks that have to be done to death while playing the game.

I will spend some more time with it since ironically enough there are no other action games worth a carp lately other than games of this sort and okami, I do very much agree this have been a very solid gaming season though.
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I haven't picked this game up. Probably tomorrow.

But based on what I've seen, this game is SO awesome. It's GTA minus the bad things in life that aren't violence.

GTA players, as previously stated, can just buy this straight from the bat and play easily. Sorry though, there are no chainsaws here. :P

It's also got an 8.9 rating, from IGN, by the way.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Kain

Desert Claw

297869 Potch
75 Soldiers
1196 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i also looking forward to buy this game since i watch the trailer. the game is good and i can't wait till next week to buy it

heh chain saw? i doubt the will be on bully. since the scene take part at skool lol.

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I've picked it up.

I've only played for about 10 minutes now, trying to get a feel of the game, as it's been quite a long since I played GTA.

I've busted myself thrice already, for picking on the kids wiht glasses and the fat ones. I'm having fun beating the crap outta the prefects, although if there's two of 'em, it's kinda rough, as you have to deal with them both. The UFC System is awesome, I've been doing it to the prefects and having hell of a time with it.

I've also noticed that there's a soccer ball outside the dorm. I wonder if I can kick it around and hit prefects squarely in the face with it. :twisted:

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Lancet Jades

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This game is definitely on my to-get list, though mostly just to see how they managed to pull the concept off.

I'm a fan of the GTA series, so I've been waiting for this, though I wasn't planning on getting it till all those politicians and such raised a fuss over it. How ironic, though, I'm not a kid, so their main talking points don't really apply to me.

I just wish I could get it sooner? Anyone wanna exchange their copy for a swift punch to the face? Perhaps I should mention you don't have a choice... :)

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

spend an hour with it the other night and it still felt just like the warriors to me. so far I think I played both games(and many other games of this type) for the same amount of time: about an hour each, which is not much at all obviously, but all these kind of games still rely more on the free open world than great gameplay, at this point that seems more like a rip off than an impressive aspect of a game to me.
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I'd read in a few magazines (FHM/Zoo primarily; both of which aren't actually gaming mags.) that this game had been targeted in 'Oz by people wanting it banned, and I'd assumed it would eventually suffer their wrath (much like Marc Ecko's Getting Up). Sorry naive fools, Rockstar prevailed yet again:

Quote:
Australia's Office of Film and Literature Classification (OFLC) has awarded Bully an M rating, citing that it contains moderate themes, violence and sexual references. An Australian spokesman for Take2 Interactive Software, the distributors for Bully, said the company did not have a confirmed local release date for the game as yet.

Rockstar has previously been the target of the OFLC's ire with its Grand Theft Auto series. The OFLC refused classification to Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas last year after the "Hot Coffee" scandal uncovered hidden sex-based minigames in the title. With Australia not having an R rating for video games, any game that does not fall below an MA rating is refused classification, making it illegal to be sold or distributed in this country. Rockstar was forced to resubmit the game with the sex-based minigames taken out before the OFLC re-granted it an MA15+ rating. Grand Theft Auto III was similarly banned for a short period in 2001/2002.

Bully, an action game set in a school which features a protagonist taking revenge on bullies and abusive teachers, has already courted its fair share of controversy even before its release. Anti-harassment groups in the US and the UK have previously blasted the game, with activist group Working to Halt Online Abuse in the US this week claiming the game could influence youths to believe that violence was an acceptable way of dealing with bullying at school.

I always import my games from the U.S. nonetheless, but it's good that fellow Aussies who do not have that option available to them can enjoy this game. Blaming violence on video games is usually a highly naive notion though. If the kid's already messed up, playing a few hours of GTA had nothing to do with it. I look forward to checking Bully in the near future.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I played this game and wasthrough with it after around ten hours and sold it (damn me!) and bought right after it the Warriors, because they say Bully had the fighting system from that game and I actually liked it.
Anyway, Bully is a great game with a funny story, although I personally didn't like my character as much as, say other "Rockstar"-heroes. I was a little bit disappointed, because I had seen the whole story after ten hours and since I had paid the entire prize it hurt a little bit. The reason for being so fast is that the difficulty of that game is laughable and I had only one single mission that took me more than two tries... It was about laundry of female students and that was perhaps the reason why I sucked at first...

The Fool
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So far this has really been nice. Got to Chapter IV already, and remember one thing, laddies: DON'T MESS WITH NERDS! :shock: (Really!)

Oh, and one thing... HOW THE HELL DO YOU STUFF PEOPLE INTO LOCKERS AND GARBAGE CANS??? :shock:
Archy

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Axis wrote:
Oh, and one thing... HOW THE HELL DO YOU STUFF PEOPLE INTO LOCKERS AND GARBAGE CANS??? :shock:

1. Beat them up.

2. Press Triangle to get hold of 'em.

3. Drag them to desired place, stuff. Voila!

Celes Tilly wrote:

"Butt rock."
zincbrain

Uttuku

441117 Potch
200 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personaly I found it boring after five hours of gameplay.
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just finished the game, and unfortunately the last stage, along with the conclusion isn't satisfying enough.
Cleife

Sand Raider

142654 Potch
300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I had finished this game about few weeks ago. Its a great game, though. It has a better graphic quality than GTA...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: