Suikoden Uncouth and Illegal Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Tales of the Abyss
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Tales of the Abyss Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm surprised I did'nt find a topic specific to this game. TotA was recently confirmed to have a US release for the PS2 here:
http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2005/1833.html
It's said to be the best of the recent Tales installments, some say it rivials Symphonia (if you liked that game).

Here's the intro from the J-version if anyone is interested in what the game looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txGu0CUctTA&search=Tales%20of%20the%20Ab yss

Anyone else anticipating this?
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Some say it's even better then Tales of Symphonia, which is easily the best RPG for Gamecube (maybe the only good RPG for Gamecube). The game has the same director as TOS, apparently, and he tried to expand on what made TOS a successful game-- so I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of structural similarities-- which is a good thing. ^^ I thought ToS had a bit too much of a cliche story line, so I'm hoping for something a bit more serious this time around.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Chizen Star

5907 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As long as it's better than Tales of Legendia (which shouldn't be too hard...), it should be good. I really enjoyed Tales of Symphonia, so if it's anything like that, I'm sure it'll be good.

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like it, but I prefer the 2D Tales games better. Even if fans hate it when other fans say that.

If you want to know what it's like, just imagine a Symphonia with more proportional character models, a smoother and faster battle system, a slightly less kiddy theme, and much longer loading times.
Equus

Sindarin Speed Bumps of Rage

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was quite happy when I heard about this. I like ToS a lot, and ToL I found to be enjoyable actually. Not gonna make it into my top games of the year, but I didn't feel like it was a waste of time.

Leb wrote:
If you want to know what it's like, just imagine a Symphonia with more proportional character models, a smoother and faster battle system, a slightly less kiddy theme, and much longer loading times.

All sounds good to me except for the load time thing. Then again, I can't remember being bothered by load times in ToS, so unless they're just heinous, I should be fine. I heard a lot of concerns about Suiko V's load times and I didn't really feel bothered by them.

Then again, if you remember playing games like Ultima or something on a 5.25" floppy, then most load times on "modern" consoles aren't that much of a bother. ^_^
Synchysi

Creatures Once Godlike

11782640 Potch
18161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was thrilled when I heard about this as well. Tales of Symphonia is very high on my all-time favorite games list and I've enjoyed every Tales game I've played, though I did have to struggle through the end of Legendia. Now I just want Rebirth.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, just checked out a few vids of this game and there some pretty awesome looking combos. But, does this game become a power level fest? I'm seeing damage numbers like in the millions
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Damage in the millions does not happen. Not to my knowledge, anyway. And levels can get pretty high in Tales games, but not to the same degree as Nippon Ichi titles. Something like 250 has been the max.
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So did anyone buy this game? I'm about thirteen hours into it.

The graphics are very nice. The character facial expressions are... well, not exactly realistic, but they're amusing. Movement is smooth and fluid, the colors are all fitting and nice. It's very well-rounded.

The music sounds very similar to Tales of Symphonia music, so if you liked that, then Abyss' music won't bother you. It's nothing spectacular or memorable for me, but it's soothing and pleasant.

The characters are alright. I like Jade and Guy the most. No one is overly annoying, except maybe Luke at first, until he begins to grow as a character. Everyone else is fairly decent. The voice acting is decent; nothing special, but it doesn't suck ass, either.

The loading times are awful, and sometimes frames will freeze as the game loads a battle. It reminds me of Chrono Trigger when it was ported to the PSX. Barf!

All in all it's a decent game. It hasn't thrown any really surprising plot twists at me so far, but it manages to escape being predictable.
Kain

Desert Claw

297869 Potch
75 Soldiers
1196 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well i gonna buy this game today anyways. since u guy give a good review about this game... i absalutely gonna buy it.. lol

Creatures Once Godlike

11782640 Potch
18161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have about 20 hours on it.

The battle system is more similar to Tales of Legendia than it is to Symphonia. The map is 3D with your character only able to move either toward or away from your target until you get a certain skill. The part that's like Legendia is the low combo-count; you can only chain two skills after your initial combo instead of three like in Symphonia. The healing AI is pretty shoddy too; the AI tends to waste almost all of its TP casting heals when you don't need them therefore being rather drained for whatever boss battle may be up next.

The characters as a whole are much better than the previous games in the Tales series. There seems to be a lot of politicking, which I actually enjoy in video game plots. I can't say I really hate any of the playable characters right now, which is always a good sign. I especially favor Jade, though.

Overall, I'm enjoying it rather thoroughly. It hasn't quite sucked me in like Symphonia or Suikoden V did, but it's still one of the best PS2 RPGs I've played so far.

Drunking soldiers are us!!

6390 Potch
428 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i bought the game played about 30 hours so far load time is the only problem i have with it i like all the characters in the game hope they joke or pick on each other real funny. but i like gun and tearthe best . it real funny seeing guy scared of girl's in the game then you find out why he is and how it trys to get over it later in the game. the story real good some thing diffrent . i hope it end that way to and not suck like so games do. i feel sorry for mieu how luke calls it thing or kicks it or yells at him for first part of the game. let's hope they make a part 2 to it. sorry aout that iplay the game real late to 600am not much sleep when i wrote this was not thinking clear at the time real sorry.

Edited by Synchysi: Watch the spoilers.

Last edited by glen on Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've got this game on order, though I probably won't have my copy shipped until early 2007. I'm skeptical that I'll rate it as highly as I do Tales of Phantasia or Destiny. I'm glad we received an English translation nonetheless though, because that provides hope for future titles; and perhaps even revision of unreleased titles.) At least it will save Hackers the time of having to come up with a fan-translation (which are usually good, though far from perfect.

Can't wait to add another 'Tales of...' game to my collection in any respect. Any updates on your opinion of the title since May there Leb? Though I've yet to actually play the game, I can almost safely say I'll share your further-above feelings.
Ashley Riot

The Queensguard

20000 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Beat it just a couple weeks ago, and was very pleased. I wish the game didn't hide so much cool stuff from you and that there was a bestiary (the lack of a bestiary is almost a mortal sin in my book for a game with such competent enemy design), but even with all of that, it was still engaging enough for me to lose myself for hours on end. Symphonia was a sentimental favorite, but even that didn't come close to the emotional thrills Abyss gave me. Excellent work by most of the voice actors, and damn is it fun to play.

Truly the best Tales game yet, in my view. It's right up there vying with Suikoden V and Final Fantasy XII for my game of 2006.

"I've been shown a lifetime of oddities in a day." -- Ashley Riot
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Drizzt wrote:
Any updates on your opinion of the title since May there Leb? Though I've yet to actually play the game, I can almost safely say I'll share your further-above feelings.

Not much. I like the game, but I never have any drive to play it for some reason or another.

Now I won't have much time, since my copy of Tales of Destiny (the new PS2 remake) arrived. I'd like to say which is better, but the 2D titles have been slowly stepping away from the traditional Tales conventions. To give you a quick example, Tales of Destiny doesn't even have TP or some form of magic points.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: