Suikoden Unique and Irrational Kriegspiel Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Democrat or Republican? Who do you think will win?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Democrat or Republican? Who do you think will win? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the midterm election is only 2 days away and i was wondering who do you think will win. Im not an american(i live in the philippines) but i still wish the democrat would win.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I honestly haven't checked out the ballot in my area out yet. I probably should. I'll most likely be voting Democratic though.

Undaunted Men in Blue

272868 Potch
0 Soldiers
658194 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've only been following D-Granholm vs. R-DeVos for governor, and I think the vote is pretty evenly split. I have no idea who'll win, because no one seems to like either of the candidates. The general consensus is that Granholm (current governor) hasn't helped Michigan at all, and DeVos has no clear policies besides, "Granholm sucks! DeVos 2006!!" Either way, I'm not optimistic...
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the Democrats will take a few seats in the wake of the Mark Foley scandal. It was one of those suspiciously timely scandals that not even the democratic party could screw up.
Berg

171 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd like to see the Libertarian party win, for a change.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Berg wrote:
I'd like to see the Libertarian party win, for a change.

They really dont have any chance whatsoever in the system that we have.

I decided to vote democratic for Senate on Tuesday, and I'm probably going to vote democratic for Governor too, I still need to look into that a bit more.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Democrats will probably take republican seats in both the Senate and House. They'll most likely take the majority in the House-- but it's not as certain in the Senate. I'm not old enough to vote, but I would be voting Democrat if I was.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah, in this country, third parties exist to bring issues to the main parties, or steal votes away from them. They don't win beyond a local thing, and even then only rarely.
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Dems haven't controlled Congress in twelve years. I think it is time for a change. The Republicans came into Congress vowing to end corruption and pork-barrel spending. However, this is quite possibly the most corrupt government in history and pork-barrel spending has tripled. Call me a cynic, but I just don't think it is a good sign for a party when past conservative advisors write quotes in articles such as "Let's quit while we're behind."

However, the Dems have frankly been given this election and they haven't attacked. What will it take for them to strike?

*There's the Mark Foley scandal and he headed a committee that protected children.

*The leading Evangelist in the country has been kicked out for homosexual sex and meth use (by the way, he was one of Bush's religious advisors). This wouldn't be such a big deal if he didn't preach fire and brimstone to gays and, come to find out (if true), he is gay himself. How hypocritical.

*Bush flaunts the DOW's effect on the economy, but in actuality, the two can't be put together like that. The DOW often gives more weight to the more expensive stocks which overshadow the smaller ones.

*John Kerry botched the joke (and it sucked to begin with), but, honestly, how many times have we let Bush off the hook for not speaking correctly? "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job." --to FEMA director Michael Brown, who resigned 10 days later amid criticism over his handling of the Hurricane Katrina debacle, Mobile, Ala., Sept. 2, 2005. I'm just tired of, "That's okay. You know he can't speak English!"

*Seque: Katrina still affects us.

*How many Republicans are going to jail?

*More bodies were found in manholes at the site of the WTC.

*We have a debt up the wazoo.

*Senator Allen called a dude an ethnic slur!

*Several conservative members of Congress don't even show up for votes (i.e. Barbara Cubin).

*It may have nothing to do with the matter, but it might have everything. Anyone else tired of hearing about productivity of big oil companies in the billions of dollars?

Okay, Democrats. Huddle up. Your mission is to go out there and stand for something. Ready...BREAK!

Anyway, I would like to see a Democratic Congress. A lot can potentially get down in a country that has a Democratic Congress and a very conservative administration. It worked for Reagan. If you swap the two parties around, it worked for Clinton as well. Look at it this way; they can't do any worse. And if they do, we'll go back to the earlier guys.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

*Several conservative members of Congress don't even show up for votes (i.e. Barbara Cubin).

That's perfectly fine, in a legal perspective. I doubt the voters like it though, which was probably your point.

And you left out the book (which I dont think this site has discussed) that one of bush's lackeys (for lack of a better word) published about how much Bush talks about the religous leaders behind their backs, admitting to using them just for votes, etc.

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, yeah! I belive his name was Kao and the book is Tempting Faith. I saw him on Real Time with Bill Maher and I was impressed. Thanks for pointing that out, Yvl.

EDIT: And one more thing, The Air Force Times, Army Times, Navy Times, and Marine Corps Times have each published an article asking for Rumsfeld's resignation. As a military brat, I applauded this maneuver.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.

Last edited by Thor McOdin on Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Democrats haven't attacked? Huh? They may not have the political machine of Karl Rove, and the superb organization of the Republicans, but they haven't sat by idly. On both sides, the politicians themselves don't do much of the fighting besides their ad campaigns; they just leave the work to the media. Jon Stewart and Bill O'Reilly feed enough information out to everyone. What about freaking MoveOn.org-- they send me three e-mails a day! I freaking hate them! The liberal side blows things up just as much as the conservatives.

And while this government has certainly has its share of problems, it's not the most corrupt we've ever seen. The democrats share some of that too. If you don't hear Democratic politicians stand up shouting about the corruption of the Republican congressmen, that's because they've taken their own share of hits. They just haven't been on the same level.

Not showing up to vote is nothing new. People on both sides have done that for a long time. You think John Kerry and Edwards were voting and running about the country campaigning back in 2004?

Anyway, I think the Democrats have this one, although they'll probably take some collateral damage among their "in" members (i.e. Joe Lieberman). Politics runs in cycles, and people have had enough of the Republicans for now. I actually think it was better (at least for the democrats, sucks about the Supreme Court though) that George Bush won in 2004. I doubt Kerry would have been able to correct Bush's mistakes, things wouldn't have gotten drastically better, and the nation would have just gone back to the Republicans.

Of course, depending on what the Democrats do with their new power, they may just find themselves on the outs again in another few years.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Malvagio

Liberatori di Inferno

26524 Potch
63 Soldiers
123938 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The way I see things, Democrat or Republican........choose your poison simply put.

"Devoted Protector of Lord Logg and Lady Valeria"
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

True. However, at this point, the question should also be, "Which is the healthier poison?" We are a two-party system. That will not change. However, when the Congress is of a different party than the president, more can and "possibly" will get done. That is why I chose the Dems. I am only 21, but I have gone through my phases. I remember when I was five during the Gulf War and I asked my parents if it was Vietnam. Fifteen years later, I ask myself the same question. Still, to be fair, I did go through phases. I rooted for the Republicans in 1996 because my family was in the military. Come to find out, the Clinton administration made the military much stronger than past administrations! So, from then on, I supported Clinton and the Democrats. However, after 9/11, I went on this pro-Republican tirade. I was living in Korea at the time and the effects trickled down to me.

However, please understand something. I never, ever, ever, ever, ever supported the Axis of Evil speech. For one reason, North Korean and South Korean families were able to see each other across the borders when I was in the area. I am not completely sure, but I don't think the news covered this in America as I was living in Korea. Also, to make more steps towards becoming more friendly to each other (not unifed, mind you), the North and South Koreans marched under one flag at the 2000 Olympics. Following 9/11, Iran also closed its border with Afghanistan. Despite the fact that we haven't gotten along with Iran since 1979, I think that if this situation were handled differently, we wouldn't be experiencing an Iran flirting with nuclear weapons. If that speech was not created, I have a feeling (albeit slight) that we would not be in this position today.

Poison, Culgan, is how I describe both parties. After officials are elected, the spend the remainder of their times in office trying to get elected (except for a few like Obama; he's a cool dude). But, in this tier of our country's history, it is almost imperative that we make this Congress different than the political party of the president. The way I see it, you have to counteract the most right-wing executive branch with the most left-wing judicial and legislative branches as well as the people in order to move onto a state of a perpetual moderate state. As Bill Maher put it (and I am paraphrasing, "Democrats need to be obstructionists, not enablers. If you go to the polls and vote Republican, you enable the president to do as he wishes. If you obstruct him, you apply some sense of checks and balances."

Hey, guys, I am really sorry that I get on my soapbox. I know that the last thing you want to see in a Suikoden forum is politics of this magnitude. However, I am very passiotate about this and I hope that everyone else is as well to a certain extent.

Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thor McOdin wrote:

*How many Republicans are going to jail?

About 10 or more so than democrats, probably.

Thor McOdin wrote:

That's sort of a case of a pot calling the kettle black. Both sides have people who miss key votes. It's sort of a strategy, if you don't want to be logged taking a side on a controversial issue (or if you just don't want to postpone your vacation), you don't show up. Kerry did it on a regular basis as well.

Thor McOdin wrote:
*John Kerry botched the joke (and it sucked to begin with), but, honestly, how many times have we let Bush off the hook for not speaking correctly?

Uhh, never? Or do you just not pay attention to the cricitism he gets every time he says something that doesn't make sense? Frankly, I think the democrats are coming off worse. The Republican's stance is essentially based on misunderstanding the "joke." The Democrat's backlash to the backlash is that they refuse to believe that the joke could be taken another way, which is flat out stupid.

And they haven't attacked? I don't know, I think half of what I've seen Keith Olbermann say is a blatant attack. Hell, I'm about one idiotic rant of his short from dubbing him the democratic Bill O'Reilly.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: