Suikoden Uncouth and Illegal Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

War FAQ
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: War FAQ Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know that War FAQ thing we have for the site? Y'know, that, with all that war stuff in it...?

Okay weeeeeeell. I've finally gotten around to updating the thing (and I'll be keeping on top of it as well!!) so if people could let me know any of the following:

Outdated content (changed rules)
Missing content (new rules)
Missing links
Dodgy formatting (titles of the wrong size/shape - stuff that looks funny)

I'll probably pay for the really helpful people.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Under Regiment Types the following have missing links / does not jump to the relevant section:
1) Default Regiment Types
2) Advanced Regiment Types
3) NPC Regiments

Number 4 Special Regiments just goes to the title but there is no list there ( i do know there is a seperate section for the Regiments Descriptions so maybe a link to that? )
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

War FAQ wrote:
A member may also leave their nation if they wish. To leave your nation, simply click on " usergroups" at the top of the forum pages, choose your nation's list, and push a button to leave the usergroup. Be careful not to leave your regiment (this will be explained later).

Regiments are no longer in the Usergroups section, as far as I can see.

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You should add "2 PP: Claim neutral naval territory" to the PP list and change the current "Naval Battle" entry (3 PP) to "Attack enemy naval territory".

It might also be good to add the following to the Gather Intel entry: "The member used for gathering intelligence is not usable in battle unless his nation is also attacking the region it is spying on. The spy can then participate in this attack."
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Typos in the FAQ. the affected words are underlined.

Quote:

In the FAQ

Note: find and replace all 'Defense' with 'Defence'

• Vessel List: A list of all vessels owned by the nations.
  • Nations are assigned randomly, but your regiment type is determined by each member's answers to the registration questionnaire.
  • Each nation has many members, including one nation leader, up to two strategists,
  • There are currently 13 nations within the Suikox Nation System, two of these are
  • 3) The location of the asylum region must be within reason (they
  • The only thing they can possibly do is participate in adventures with mercenaries,
  • but it can be lowered by the nation killing citizens during raids
  • "When I was still a lad, I often dreamt of being a knight serving a lady.
  • For example, if an infantry force of 4500 fights against 4000 magicians, they will defeat 2250 magicians,
  • I leapt into the bog
  • Construction of new roads
  • Declaration of Intent to one of the admins through a PM (Private Message), specifying what they plan to do.
  • A declaration of intent is basically a
  • problems that can arise when nations declare their intent. Here are some examples--
  • In this example, Orange is attacking Magenta, and Magenta is attacking Cyan. In this case, Magenta must fight two battles; one to defend its own territory, and then to attack Cyan's territory.
  • (an ambush allows enemies to have one easy
  • This means that all three rounds may not necessarily pass if one nation successfully defeats opponents
  • If an asylum nation is defending the region, they will receive the potch.
  • If an asylum nation is defending the region, they will receive the PP.
  • Back Against Open Water: This formation makes it very difficult for your regiment to retreat
  • As a result, your regiment's attack power increases by x2.0, while defense becomes x0.75 of the original.
  • A Dragon Coils Around a Pearl: The default formation
  • As a result, your attack power will be x0.5 of your original, while your defense gains a bonus of x1.5.
  • On the other hand, a naval siege can be cancelled after maritime superiority is won if the attacker decides to not pursue the offensive (for whatever reason).
  • Instead of using troops, leaders may substitute a round with a duel,
  • Each nation leader can select whichever undefeated member from their battle-roster as the duellist.
  • When duels are refused during war, soldiers serving the refusing nation will experience a drop in morale
  • These stats can be viewed under your avatar in each post you make
  • Even if you have more than the max, soldier don't get replenished from your "stock"
  • Each person's leadership value will fluctuate depending on what regiment they command.
  • International Treaties
  • The nation receiving the ally army will be able to command them according
  • allowing cut-off regions to send in their supplies for PP, and eliminate
  • Nations that have trade agreements are also allowed to navigate through the trade partner's maritime territories
  • If a nation attacks a trade partner, the trade agreement will be annulled.

In the Regiment Types

• Because horses are not affected by the dart's poison, they are weak against cavalry. Blowgunners are most effective when led by skilful veterans.
  • In battle, these units will charge into opponents swiftly enough to disrupt magic chanting and fell most physical foes, but will be victimized by projectile weapons.
  • Entities that don't have a corporeal form, which make them nearly impervious to physical attacks.
  • Those who are fast and skilful are the best leader of these forest men.
  • They embody the same strengths and weaknesses of undead and cavalry units,
  • Warriors who wield spears in combat with stunning effectiveness
  • These warriors respect brute force the most, but also have a deep respect for their elders.
  • For this reason they are all highly intelligent and have no concept of death, as each (double 'OF') of them consider themselves a mere
  • shadow of the "original light."
  • Most units have difficulty attacking them with the exception of magic oriented units. However, even magicians will suffer heavy casualties from an armored cavalry charge.

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is only for the nation faq, not the regiment list or any other pages linked to the faq. Thanks for the help.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've done all of the above apart from Decado's spelling mistakes, I'll do all of that tommorow...or maybe another day(ish).

I've done the defense/defence switch, but I might have knocked off a few capital letters in places so if I have, let me know.

Edit: (Just to keep track) I've just done:

Quote:
Back Against Open Water: This formation makes it very difficult for your regiment to retreat.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]

Last edited by Axiose on Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I swear I sent you a list of errors in the War FAQ ages ago but it must have gone and disappeared from my sentbox, knowing the volume of mail you get Axiose there's no chance you've still got it either, damn. Oh well, I'll look again at the thing and see what stuff I can find.

Here we go:

Broken/missing links

B) 2) ‘Leaving a nation' doesn't go anywhere.
F) 1) ‘Soldier command limit' leads to the duels section.

Formatting

I think the orange, magenta and cyan attack direction examples look odd having bigger text than all the rest of the guide, the larger text starts by the first image and continues down until the ‘fortifications and ambushes' section. The example rosters in between the large text look good as they are though.

In that same section, next to the big white image of Turn structure I'd personally move the ‘Hello oh powerful admin' part beneath the image, like down two lines so there's a line of black spacing between the image and text. At the moment that line starts alongside the image and so half the line is indented by the image and then it carries on all the way over on the left. I just think the spacing would make it look a bit nicer.

Looks like you already fixed a lot of stuff since last time I looked through the thing though.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I believe some of the words or language could be altered to make it easier to understand as well promote consistency. As an example, under Regiment Types:

Home Guard's have traditionally been referred to as governors from what I have seen. By calling it the Governor's unit you promote that consistency across the board and FAQ. Same goes with Naval Forces should be called Naval Units.

- Asylum rule about exploration prizes going to host nation? Not sure if that's needed.
- Asylum rule about deciding who will defend an incoming attack (at the asylumed region) in 2 days or something. SOme kind of deadline was imposed on BP and Tonberry when Highland attacked Retto back in phase 10 I believe.
- Rules regarding an asylumed nation moving their location as Zexen has done in phase 12.

- I'd insert a link to the Mercenary forums and create a separate heading called Mercenaries.

- Expansion on the regional stats info. I believe the AGR * 10,000 information should be included
- Describe which regions can go over 100. I believe it was determined TEC, SEC and maybe HPY couldn't? I'm not sure...
- Garrisons information, as well as the 1/1000th rule

- Expansion on the IG rules such as the 5 possible effects and rules about the person being sent there affecting the quality of the IG
- Expansion on raids how it must be one city to another city. For example, I must sabotage L'renouille to Retto and if L'renouille is attacked from Blights Bay, the sabotage is a waste. Also, explain how 25% of turn 1 troops are lost, or, the entire force is wiped out if they are too weak.

- Expansion on forfeiture rules. When a nation forfeits prior to turn 1, the winning nation can transfer 3 units. WHen a nation forfeits prior to turn 2, the winning nation can transfer 1 unit. Also, note there must be an open roster spot.

- Expansion on Individual Stats (400 STR grants destructive blow) things like that?

- Expansion on the dueling system? What happens when Nation Cyan offers a duel for Battle but Nation Magenta only offers a duel for round 1, no higher, no lower. What occurs there?

- Expansion on the Military Alliances rules.
- Expansion on non-aggression treaties how you can have them against a nation who is a target of the alliance you're in but can be seen as 'bad politics'

Quote:
3) Successful defence of a region from foreign attacks = 1 point/region (you also gain 50 potch for every soldier you have defeated.

Quote:
The victorious defending nation sells the armor and weapons of the dead soldiers and receives 50 x the total dead soldiers. So Magenta is defending against Cyan and between them they lose 100,000 soldiers meaning 25,000 soldiers permanently lay face down on the battle field. Magenta successfully defends its region from Cyan and therefore sells the armor and weapons of the dead and gains 1,250,000 potch. If an asylum nation is defending the region, they will recieve the potch.

I believe it's 500 potch now?

Quote:
Outside of that, each tactic is weak against another tactic so that if they meet in battle the superior formation will have x2.0 attack:

I believe this was changed to x2 to Regiment Defence?

Quote:
This may make people sad because it's a limiter, but it'd give "leadership" an actual purpose and even admins will have to abide by this.
I believe this sentence can be removed since the change has been in effect for a while.

FORMATTING

I would recommend that some time be spent to make headings different in size from regular text. Things like "Regiment Types" and "Regions" are simply bolded. Instead, why not make headings larger and differentiate them from the regular text? This makes it easier to scan the document.

I would also page links at the end of every section. This is done by inserting this:
Code:
<a name="top"></a>

at the top of the page and then inserting this link at the end of every section:
Code:
<a href="#top">Top of the page</a>

This will make it easier to move about this document since it's rather large.

I honestly feel some formatting work will make this easier to digest as it creates sections from which to learn from at one time. A person could read the "region" section and learn about regions and with different formatting, it becomes apparent what the "Region" information is.

That's the list of things I came up with.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Decado, I've fixed the spelling mistakes.

Exile wrote:
Broken/missing links

B) 2) ‘Leaving a nation' doesn't go anywhere.
F) 1) ‘Soldier command limit' leads to the duels section.

I might have fixed the first link already as it was working, but I sorted the second.

Have a look at the formatting of those two sections - I think it's fixed now.

Blasphemy wrote:
Home Guard's have traditionally been referred to as governors from what I have seen. By calling it the Governor's unit you promote that consistency across the board and FAQ. Same goes with Naval Forces should be called Naval Units.

Done!

Blasphemy wrote:
- Asylum rule about exploration prizes going to host nation? Not sure if that's needed.
- Asylum rule about deciding who will defend an incoming attack (at the asylumed region) in 2 days or something. SOme kind of deadline was imposed on BP and Tonberry when Highland attacked Retto back in phase 10 I believe.
- Rules regarding an asylumed nation moving their location as Zexen has done in phase 12.

Done!

Blasphemy wrote:
- I'd insert a link to the Mercenary forums and create a separate heading called Mercenaries.

I added it under the Mercenary Life section.

Blasphemy wrote:
- Expansion on the regional stats info. I believe the AGR * 10,000 information should be included
- Describe which regions can go over 100. I believe it was determined TEC, SEC and maybe HPY couldn't? I'm not sure...
- Garrisons information, as well as the 1/1000th rule

I'm going to hold off adding this information for the moment.

Blasphemy wrote:
Expansion on Individual Stats (400 STR grants destructive blow) things like that?

That doesn't need to be added I don't think. People should discover that through trial and error.

I'll add everything else you mentioned after I get back from work! Stupid internet was broken for a day and a half so I fell behind!

Also, with regards to your formating suggestions - I'm going to go through the FAQ once I've finished adding the information and give the titles a bigger look - they should all be centered as well.

I like the
Code:
<a name="top"></a>
link as well so I'll add that when I fix the formating throughout.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Axiose wrote:
I might have fixed the first link already as it was working, but I sorted the second.

Really? It's still not working on mine, the respective a) and b) sections are going to the right place but whenever I click on the actual B) 2) link nothing happens on my end. How strange, I'll investigate.

I just looked on internet explorer 6 instead of firefox 2 and the link does work on that, firefox is getting the right destination (http://www.suikox.com/forum/Awarfaq.php#leaving) but it doesn't budge at all when I click that link. I cleared all my cached data, cookies and all that several times to make sure I hadn't loaded an old version of the page and I still get the same thing, I also had someone else running firefox 2 check this and it occured on their pc too.

And now under the 'seeking asylum' section bullet points nine and ten have an error that's only showing on firefox and not ie, it's showing two bullet points you said you removed in response to Blasphemy's comments:
seeking asylum wrote:

<9) If an asylum nation explores during a phase, any prizes and discoveries will be taken by the host nation.

<10) An asylum nation can move their asylum status to another ally at the cost of 3PP and will taken effect at the end of the phase.

They have < signs before the numbers for some reason, all the other numbers obviously don't.

Just moving down from there the bolded word Vagabond has one speech mark open around it but no closing one as such: "Vagabond.
That either needs closing or removing, finally an error that's consistent on both browsers.

This one again is occuring solely on Firefox and not IE for me, just down from that and the bolded word Mercenary begins a seemingly hyperlinked piece of text with no destination, it all comes up underlined when I hover the mouse over the following section:

War FAQ wrote:
Mercenary. A mercenary can hire themselves out to other nations in exchange for potch. Thus, a mercenary can participate in wars if they are lucky enough to be hired. Either that or you may be hired to participate in explorations, or even simply as a farm hand or to help with improving a region's security. Basically, you can do as you wish, and there's plenty of opportunity to make extra cash. Have a look at the

I'm pretty certain this one is an old error that you've fixed, it's not showing up when I load the page on internet explorer either.

Axiose wrote:
Have a look at the formatting of those two sections - I think it's fixed now.

The body text prior to the political points table is all smaller than the body text after the table. It switches from times new roman size 10, to times new roman size 12 at that point. I think it should all be at 10, looks nicer. This occurs on both browsers for reference.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, I've got into the formating bug. Please can people hold off their updates to the FAQ until I finish the formating which should hopefully be this weekend.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, I think I've finished the formating of it as well as updating the above bits of information.

Please let me know if I've missed any bits of information - the two bits I havn't put in is the dueling info that and the regional information that Blasphemy ended. We're just working on some stuff at the moment so I didn't want to put up redundant information.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wish I had caught this thread earlier. I spent a couple days last month, rewriting the Faq almost to completion because I figured you'd be updating it soon.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Did you have any information in your FAQ that I havn't got in mine? Besides your PM:

Scarlet assassin wrote:
I would suggest that you put in the procedure for ending a non-aggression pact, as in deadlines before DOIs and such. That's at a first glance though, I'll take a harder look later on and see if I can come up with anything to add.

(I've added that btw).

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: