Suikoden Ugly and Irrational Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Sony vs. Lik-Sang
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Sony vs. Lik-Sang Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
"Today is Sony Europe victory about PSP, tomorrow is Sony Europe's ongoing pressure about PlayStation 3. With this precedent set, next week could already be the stage for complaints from Sony America about the same thing, or from other console manufacturers about other consoles to other regions, or even from any publisher about any specific software title to any country they don't see fit. It's the beginning of the end... of the World as we know it", stated Pascal Clarysse, formerly known as the Marketing Manager of Lik-Sang.com.

"Blame it on Sony. That's the latest dark spot in their shameful track record as gaming industry leader. The Empire finally 'won', few dominating retailers from the UK probably will rejoice the news, but everybody else in the gaming world lost something today."
-PlanetGamecube

In a nutshell, Sony shut down one of the popular gaming import sites, Lik-Sang, because they had the audacity to sell Japanese games to European gamers. Nevermind the fact that Lik-Sang also provides game for OTHER platforms, but in the end everyone loses out.
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
It's the beginning of the end... of the World as we know it

That is very true...

This is not just the end of a good Videogames site, but legally this changes everything...

Right now, with this decision any Company can outlaw Imports, so if basically you want Suikoden VI that is only Japanese, acquiring it will be illegal...

Let me say that after this move I'm Boycotting PS3, and yes I don't care about MGS4 or FFXIII or anything anymore. Sony is not getting another penny out of me; I'll be buying used games for existing consoles, until that is outlawed as well of course...

Still, I hold a firm hope that Lik Sang can appeal this and overrule the decision, for everyone's sake...

Also for those who don't know, Lik Sang was shut down again by Nintendo but managed to rise from the ashes, let us hope that the Phoenix will rise again...
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd never heard of them before. I'm not too sure I understand the impact this has.

Quote:
Also for those who don't know, Lik Sang was shut down again by Nintendo but managed to rise from the ashes, let us hope that the Phoenix will rise again...

Can you explain this please?

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lets face it, the real reason Sony and other gaming companies push for the territory limitation is because they don't want us to get access to all the pirated merchandise in Asia, if Europeans and Americans could play the same games as the Chinese and Japanese, we'd never have to buy a game for the ridiculous price it is back home. Lik-Sang was quite a good website, which in my view was doing nothing illegal, how can selling videogames that are only available in a certain region or released months, sometimes years before another region be wrong and illegal?

Something that worries me as a Suikoden fan is that Japan and America get their copies long before us Suiko-gamers in Europe, and crossing out the ability for me to play it earlier while not being the end of the world, is a kick in the ass none the less.

Arenegeth wrote:
Right now, with this decision any Company can outlaw Imports, so if basically you want Suikoden VI that is only Japanese, acquiring it will be illegal...

Exactly, but I suspect it will get to America at the very least, Konami has yet to turn their backs on anyone else but Europe. If it can get to America we always have good old eBay to utilise...
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just read that Sony is denying that they are responsible.

Quote:

In a statement issued to GamesIndustry.biz, Sony has denied any responsibility for the closure of Lik-Sang - accusing the online retailer of "sour grapes".

The statement begins by observing that Sony Computer Entertainment has successfully sued Pacific Game Technology, which uses Lik-Sang as one of its trading names, for infringing intellectual property rights.

"Lik-Sang did not contest this case (i.e. they did not turn up and therefore incurred no legal costs). We have been awarded substantial costs against Lik-Sang which have not been paid," the statement claims.

"We would therefore strongly deny that our actions have had anything to do with this website closing (we assume the legal entity is still trading), and would suggest that this release is sour grapes on behalf of Lik-Sang which is aimed to belittle Sony Computer Entertainment and the British judicial system that found against them."

Earlier today, Lik-Sang announced it was going out of business, citing a series of lawsuits filed by Sony as the reason for the closure. The retailer also alleged that several SCE executives purchased import PSP hardware and software on its website.

Sony responded, "The purchasing of PSP consoles by SCE employees would be for investigatory purposes. We would also like to express our surprise at a company releasing personal information about its consumers, as this is contrary to data protection principles around the world."

Lonelion's Naval Fleet.

4727 Potch
106 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree Sony needs to wake up,certains games only get released in one area of the world how else are we going to get these games,importing was the only option.

http://www.myspace.com/lonelion7769
http://www.duefiumi.com
http://z6.invisionfree.com/suikocross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I had read that Sony had already released their spin on it. Not sure what to believe on either side. On one hand Sony is obviously going to release something to repair PR.

But Lik-Sang went down not because they lost all those lawsuits thrown at them, but because they couldn't afford to fight them. It's a small import company, after all.

Nintendo (and Microsoft I heard) filed a lawsuit against Lik-Sang in the past. This was a single lawsuit aimed at the fact Lik-Sang was selling tools used to pirate games. Lik-Sang stopped selling said item and continued to exist. In other words, Microsoft and Nintendo didn't try to destroy the company, merely fix one facet of the company that was damaging to them.

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lik-Sang didn't sell pirated merchandise. The only "pirate" related thing they sold were mod chips, and they complied with the court order to remove them years ago.

However, Lik-Sang was stupid for ignoring clear warnings Sony gave that any and all importers selling Asian and North American PSPs to European consumers would face legal action. They can play the whole "people's importer" bit all they want, but it doesn't stand up when you screw around with a big corporation's intellectual property.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed... I actually am seeing this as a victory against piracy in China. I really don't see what the big deal is about this, there are people going on and on about this on another site I visit.

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Seems mostly people who want any reason to jump on Sony. PS3 costs $600? They're doomed! Shut down a site that's illegally selling stuff? They're evil!

Perhaps some people think it's a stupid law, and for all I care it is stupid, but just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it can be ignored. They knew what was going to happen and kept doing it anyways. No big loss.

~Uguu!~
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I'd never heard of them before.

That is most probably because A: You're an American and you didn't feel like importing anything because you get most games anyway and B: You're not ‘into' games enough, any gamer worth he/her's salt have either used or at least heard about Lik Sang...

Quote:
I'm not too sure I understand the impact this has.

As I said, this legally means that any Company can ban the sale of regional games and consoles outside of their specified countries. Technically buying used games and lending games has also being illegal, nobody did anything though, now they may find the opportunity to do so...

OK first of all let me set the facts straight...

And as it should have being known by now I'm against piracy in general as the next Sony lackey...

Lik Sang was shut down in 2002 after lawsuits from all three major companies (Nintendo was the buffed up one because of the GBA Flash Cards) for the sale of Mod Chips that let you play imported and yes, pirated games and NOT for selling pirate games. These Mod Chips were simply a way for some of us to play import games without buying a regional version of the console (regardless if I personally don' like it or not)...

Of course with the pirate boom at the late 90's up to 03' what difference did the companies made I'm not sure... Mod Chips were readily available from local retails all over the world (illegally but that's beside the point)...

When Lik Sang resurfaced they became more affixed with other sides of console modification as in different plastic covers etc, and other legal stuff...

Now for those that haven't figured it out yet, Sony (Europe for the most part) law suit Lik Sang and bullied Play Asia and other smaller importers before that, into not selling Japanese or American Legal PSP games or consoles to European or any other gamers...

I wanted Suikoden I&II, Play Asia won't ship it to me and Lik Sang doesn't exists anymore, so that leaves me searching on eBay. Amazon was playing the companies game for some time now and doesn't ship games outside not only region but country too...

Quote:
I just read that Sony is denying that they are responsible.

That is PR poison dripping from Sony's fangs, trying to entice and stun people so they won't take their money elsewhere (well they lost me). Believe nothing that comes out of a PR mouth especially from the ever lying Sony...

Quote:
But Lik-Sang went down not because they lost all those lawsuits thrown at them, but because they couldn't afford to fight them. It's a small import company, after all.

I believe that was Sony's initial strategy...

By the way, if anyone here has the tendency to label him/her self as a Sony ‘fanboy' please do freely admit to it so I won't lose my time debating or contemplating anything you say...
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Play Asia won't ship it to me and Lik Sang doesn't exists anymore, so that leaves me searching on eBay. Amazon was playing the companies game for some time now and doesn't ship games outside not only region but country too...

Ok....so does that mean....taking myself as an example....i will no longer be able to buy games ( specifically RPG's that take forever or never get an European release ) from online retailers?
I have an NTSC version PS2 and i puchase nearly all my RPG's online from retailers based in the US mainly GameStop.

How long will it be before they are all hit with this and can nolonger ship outside their respective regions???
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't worry too much Goldmember, the likely reason Sony did this would be because otherwise Lik-Sang would have bought up a bunch of Japanese PS3s and then sold them at inflated prices to European gamers. This would have screwed over both the PS3's japan launch and a whole bunch of gamers stupid/rich/willing enough to pay over a thousand dollars for a console.

Just out of curiosity though Goldmember, since I'm thinking of buying an American PS3, aren't the international rates at GameStop insane? I did a quick search and it'd cost me $32 for the first $75 and $5 for every $50 after that. Do you actually save money from getting games from America?
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Ok....so does that mean....taking myself as an example....i will no longer be able to buy games ( specifically RPG's that take forever or never get an European release ) from online retailers?

That would be a yes, especially with the PS3.

Quote:
How long will it be before they are all hit with this and can nolonger ship outside their respective regions???

This depends really, but since the court decision was only validated at October 23 I'm thinking that in the New Year perhaps. On Sony's part probably around March when he PS3 comes out in Europe, how much this will escalate is anyone's guess. As a worst case scenario, before you know it I'll be making posts from Jail for importing Suikoden VI...

Best case scenario, nothing really happens other than losing Lik Sang, but that's not a best case scenario really, is a Utopia scenario...

Quote:
I wouldn't worry too much Goldmember, the likely reason Sony did this would be because otherwise Lik-Sang would have bought up a bunch of Japanese PS3s and then sold them at inflated prices to European gamers. This would have screwed over both the PS3's japan launch and a whole bunch of gamers stupid/rich/willing enough to pay over a thousand dollars for a console.

Judging from the past, Lik Sang prices weren't as inflated as you'd think and not the ridiculous amounts that consoles will go on eBay, so if you wanted a Japanese PS3 as soon as possible at not a completely mad price, Lik Sang was your best bet now I have a feeling that the prices will go even higher at eBay with less competition so to speak...

Quote:
Just out of curiosity though Goldmember, since I'm thinking of buying an American PS3, aren't the international rates at GameStop insane? I did a quick search and it'd cost me $32 for the first $75 and $5 for every $50 after that. Do you actually save money from getting games from America?

Yeah seriously I'm curious about that too; shipping prices from GameStop are ridiculously expensive usually costing more or double the game you're ordering, better off ordering from the late Lik Sang or Play Asia...
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, first of all I do feel sorry for that site. They were a great (and for the most part honest) site that gave people who want Japanese games what they wanted. Second, a lot of people on the net are saying that this will make things worse for Sony and the ps3 sales, which will most likely be false considering the fact that people who shop there are a low demographic in the gaming world. A lot of people who I talk to about the site, when I puchased from them, didn't even know about the site.

All this news really does in inflate the hatred toward Sony by the people who pretty much hate them already.

I will admit, this makes me not like Sony a whole lot (not that I was a big fan of them in the first place). There no better than Microsoft or some other big companies. Lik-sang was just a cool independent site that gave us some games we couldn't get here in the states.

However, this will not sway me from buying what I need in this generation: a PS3. I love MGS, KH and Suikoden too much and these will most likely end up on the PS3 sadly. I'm kinda wishing lately that they would go Nintendo or even 360 though. At least it would be easier on my pocket book.

I'm pulling for Wii this time around despite my fav games will most likely be on PS3. Hopefully I'll both Wii and PS3 before Christmas.

Anyways, sad news. My sympathy goes to those who owned or loved that site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: