Suikoden Uncanny and Irenic Keystone Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

How to Survive a Zombie Epidemic.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: How to Survive a Zombie Epidemic. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Being such a zombie afficianado as well as a generally weird person, I tend to always think up ways to survive if (or when) a zombie epidemic arises. Any time I move to a new place, I always try to map out ways to escape the living dead, or ways to hold up somewhere until the problem is avoided. If it is an epidemic of apocolyptic proportions, then I have a game plan for that as well.

The best way mode of survival is the "duck and run" mode, in my opinion. Try not to make yourself known. I wouldn't carry any weapons that would draw attention, like guns. I would use melee weapons, mostly bludgeoning, and would only go on the offensive if it is the last means possible.

I would only go out when supplies run low. Finding a place to stay could be easy. Go to a more secluded place. Find a deserted house with more than one floor. Somehow, with the least amount of noise possible, demolish the stairs so nothing can get to the second floor.

I would never have light on when night comes, for I do not want to attract zombies, or roving bands of criminals.

Does anyone have a unique method of survival when the dead come back to life?

Or am I the only one that thinks of these things? :D
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a method: it's called a shotgun. My grandmother taught me how to use it. No zombie is safe, I promise.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I have a method: it's called a shotgun. My grandmother taught me how to use it. No zombie is safe, I promise.

Haha, wow, your grandmother taught you to shoot a shotgun? What a cool grandma!

The shotgun is definately a powerful weapon, and surely zombies would fall, but I think the excessive noise would just draw more zombies to you, and you will run out of ammo eventually. That is why I would use a bat or some other bludgeoning weapon, just to knock them over and get them out of the way without drawing a crowd.

Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What an... odd topic. I think someone's playing too much Dead Rising! :wink:

Well, assuming I wouldn't be feasted upon by the demented hordes of the undead instantly, the best course of action, like in most cases, is to flee. As fast as possible. Rather than obtaining a shotgun, wading into the gangs of animated corpses, shooting all the while, and laughing uncontrollably, it's a better course of action. The aforementioned scenario would most likely end with a zombie consuming the most vital part of your cranium. The best way to flee would be to get a large all-terrain vehicle, and drive to a safe haven.

Although, to be serious now, it's not exactly a situation I have planned. The chances of the long-dead to somehow break out of the ground, walk amongst us all, and attempt to kill us all is... somewhat unlikely.

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Although, to be serious now, it's not exactly a situation I have planned. The chances of the long-dead to somehow break out of the ground, walk amongst us all, and attempt to kill us all is... somewhat unlikely.

But what if the recently dead are getting up to feast upon the living, and that anyone who dies becomes one of them. "The people they kill...get up and kill!"

A large, all-terrain vehicle would work well, but would get far less mileage as apposed to something that is quick and wirey like a motorcycle. I would opt for an all-terrain vehicle if I was in the country-side, but that sort of vehicle would be nothing but a nuisance if you were in an urban environment. Too big and bulky, and if the particular outbreak was quick and fierce, there is bound to be traffic jams and other obstacles impeding your way.

If I had access to a large body of water, and a decent sized boat, that would be all I need to survive. Stock up the boat with supplies, extra cans of gas, and fishing gear, and you can live off the land...er...water for months.

Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Well obviously we all know you wouldn't survive if it were to actually happen. I probally wouldn't go outdoors. It seems in every zombie movie that they're strenght are in numbers. And one of the best ways for them to gather is large open places.. (IE outdoors). I'd probally stay up in dorm room, where I have a decent set of provisions and I'm fairly close to our cafeteria aswell. I'm possitive I'd sit around in my dorm room chilling out with my gf and roomie watching tv and waiting for further orders :).

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Depends where I am. If I am near the city, my sole quest is to get to a nice little stronghold area. It's essentially 3 warehouse stores, a Lowes, a super-Walmart and a Sam's club. Now, I know normally shacking up is a deathtrap, but this little area is relatively far from a population center, so if you could get there quickly, you could set up the defenses, raid the other two warehouses, and end up with enough supplies and fortifications to last for quite a while. As long as you have someone who knows what they are doing, you can set up a defense perimeter around one of them that would be virtually inpenetrable, since warehouse stores don't have a large number of entrances and no windows.

If I am out in the country, I get to a place with a second story, destroy the stairways up to it, and wait for further orders. This would only work in the short term, as you don't really have the vast numbers of supplies.
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everything I need to know can be detailed in The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. It gives in depth detail on what one should do depending on the size of the outbreak. Of course melee weapons are very nice due to there being no need for ammunition, something along the lines of a katana is preferable, but you can't go wrong with a high powered rifle for distance killing, and a good handgun for close quarters. You'd just need enough ammunition to last you until you could in theory get to a stronghold.

There is safety in numbers, but you can't be a bleeding heart. If someone is bitten, it doesn't matter if they are your best friend or even a family member, you have to kill them. Anyone bitten by a zombie will turn into one themselves with 100% certainty so there's no room for wishing for the best.

As a sailor, I have a slight advantage at being able to head out to sea, but even though zombies can't swim, they don't drown either so the water isn't completely safe, plus I'd have to get onto land eventually to resupply.

Basically, move during the day only, since zombies have the advantage at night due to hightened smell and hearing, move in a small group so as to attract as little attention as possible while at the same time maximizing the ability to protect myself, and keep away from all populated area unless absolutely necessary.

~Uguu!~
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The main thing you have to do is think. In every zombie movie I've ever seen people keep dying because they do ridiculous and illogical things. Take the remake of Dawn of the Dead for example. As much as you love your pregnant wife, keeping her chained to the bed in the mall so she can have her infected baby when you saw her get bitten is so stupid you deserve to die on general principle. Also, take 28 Days Later. No matter how active your libido is, trying to make it with the women that show up should take second place to making sure you stay alive. We all have some kind of instinctual drive to continue the species, but come on. Really. Sex can wait until there are no zombies. Wasting time and effort on needless transitory pursuits like sex is another fast track to doom.

As for survival, just make sure you're hydrated. The human body can live for a month without food. I doubt dead flesh with no functioning organs, and thereby no circulation, will be able to last that. There would be rapid decomposition. If you could barricade yourself somewhere safe with a lot of water, all you'd have to do is wait it out.

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Take car. Go to mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

And that's how I'd deal with the zombie threat. :P

Actually I'd probably grab my cricket bat, head to the closest shop and grab as much food and water as I could and then just seal up my home and wait. Twenty-eight days later the zombies will all die of starvation and then the survivors get to work on repopulating the earth. :wink: That's provided the zombies that are eating my neighbours brains are the kind that starve to death (or undeath or redeath or megadeath) or ones infected by Rage (which I personally think is a much more likely scenario than the dead becoming sorta living again). If they can't starve then I have a problem, I'd probably head to the nearby military base which I think is where the SAS are stationed, so it should be pretty safe right? I'd get out of the city at the very least.
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wataru wrote:

As for survival, just make sure you're hydrated. The human body can live for a month without food. I doubt dead flesh with no functioning organs, and thereby no circulation, will be able to last that. There would be rapid decomposition. If you could barricade yourself somewhere safe with a lot of water, all you'd have to do is wait it out.

That's where you're wrong. A zombie can, under normal conditions, last for several years. Due to the nature of the infection that turns the living into a zombie, the majority of the bacteria responsible for decomposition do not survive within the body. Keep in mind, zombies cannot be created from bodies that were dead prior to being infected, it only affects the living and puts them in a state that is like being dead, but they never actually die. It's more like their brain is taken over by the virus and becomes self sufficient, not needing the heart and lungs, so it shuts those down.

Also, it is to be noted that predatory animals do not attack zombies, as anything that eats the flesh of a zombie would die, due to the toxic nature of the virus. It's thought that predators can sense this disease and know that it's not food-worthy prey.
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wrote this little number a few months ago. I think you will agree with me.

I am a typical man who walks this earth like everybody else. I have strengths, weaknesses, and attributes that contribute to my overall personality. Although I do not know what the future has in store for mankind as a species, I am absolutely certain on one key fact that most men will never be able to experience. I must warn my reader that what they are about to read may shock them, but it is vital information necessary for survival. I am a normal human being except for the fact that if a Zombie Holocaust ever occurred on earth, I would be the man to take them down. In short, zombies don't stand a chance against me.

Although I claim to be typical, that is not completely true. I was a normal individual trying to cope with growing up and wondering what I would do with my life. I was like most mortals for a period of time and I had no idea that I would be the man who held mankind's destiny in my hands. This all changed in sixth grade, however, when I was introduced to the legendary saga known as Resident Evil. I was never a fan of zombie movies during my youth, so it took this series to de-virginize my misconceptions. For example, I did not know the weaknesses of zombies prior to Resident Evil. Without this game, I would surely be struggling with the idea, much like everyone else, that I may die during a hostile zombie takeover. My hands gripped the controller, and I instantly assumed my role as supreme champion over the mutant breed.

I know many of you are questioning my credibility. For instance, the zombies in Resident Evil are genetically-modified creatures created by a sinister conglomerate while the zombies in Night of the Living Dead were supposedly a direct result of radiation. I say to the doubters that they couldn't be further from the truth. Zombies are zombies. Based on old film, I have deducted that they have the same weaknesses. If you shoot zombies in the head, they die. Many people claim to have this ability, but the fact of the matter is that I do it better than anyone else. You see, I love my life. I am not about to let it end so that some middle-class wannabe can eat my innards. In order to quell his pathetic moans, I simply shoot him in the head. If one prefers to get technical, Resident Evil provides the better training against zombie overlords. For example, scary music will always follow you in order to psyche you out. It is up to you to have the confidence in order to battle the music. This can be done in several ways, but most people are frightened by a few strings singing in minor keys. It is easy for a super mortal like myself, because I throw in some Iron Maiden or Wu Tang. The zombie sees my confident swagger and instantly realizes he picked the wrong homeboy to mess with. Secondly, Resident Evil taught me to space out my ammo use. It took me a while to grasp that I could still be a bad ass by conserving ammo. What happens next is that I am up to my ass in bullets. When I look in my inventory, I literally have trouble wasting my shots because I saved all of my ammunition! I actually started to feel sorry for the zombies. How can they battle my ass-kicking destiny? Then I thought to myself that they want to eat me, or worse, some hot chick. That isn't cool, man.

I have learned to live with my destiny. Although I may have lost some of my innocence in the process, it is all worth it to see zombie brain matter all over your boss' desk. My only qualm is that I know you will run to other people for help before me. I feel a little offended that you would diss me like that, so I decided to compare myself to your beloved public officials. In Resident Evil 1, you collectively called upon the power of S.T.A.R.S, which would be considered a SWAT team by most standards. Guess what? They failed...miserably. It was up to me to battle those hellish beasts all alone in the foreboding mansion. I survived, they didn't. In Resident Evil 2, the zombies infiltrated he city. None of the cops were able to destroy the foul beasts, so the precious population was devoured and later made a part of the scourge. In fact, the story goes beyond this. The police chief actually allowed the whole thing to happen. I believe you know the rest of the story. A renegade bad ass (me) from a distant city had to walk into the city and lay down the law. I did, the police didn't. In Resident Evil 3, I had to battle more zombies in the same city because the cops were so lousy at their jobs. On top of all this, I had to fight an annoying, ugly piece of crap sent by the corporation to take me down. They failed, I survived, and your town got nuked by the government. If only you listened to me, because I wouldn't have allowed that. Because of your ignorance, all I can do is smile. I did more of the same in Code Veronica and Resident Evil 4 when people finally realized that sending me to distant lands would be their only hope. They were right; I kicked ass. After surviving a renegade sect of hooligans (not to mention I was imprisoned) on a remote island in the South Pacific, I was forced to fly to a secret base in Antarctica and finish the job. I think my own pinnacle of manliness can be seen in Resident Evil 4. In fact, in 4, I rocked Spain while housing an extremely pesky parasite in my body. You may be more impressed to learn that I saved the president's daughter in the process. In short, I am a bad ass.

I know I may sound cocky, but you have to look at this from my standpoint. I got an "A" ranking in Resident Evil 2. I unlocked the infinite rocket launcher in Resident Evil 3. In Code Veronica, I had so much ammunition I could've taken over Trinidad. Finally, in Resident Evil 4, I unlocked the infinite machinegun as well as a pimpin' magnum that destroyed absolutely anything. The funny thing is Capcom continued to come up with new ways to obstruct my path to destiny. New creatures were created every game, but I mowed them all down with a very suave nature. The formula is still the same as it would be with zombies. Aim up (or down) with the shotgun or magnum and fire. It is a very simple formula, but those who aren't me will have a difficult time composing themselves during these situations.

In closing, some people are up to the task of destroying genetically-modified species. I happen to be one of these people and I will be damned if I can't live up to my destiny of saving mankind. Lately, many appointments and letters have been flying into my office. One person actually had the gall to tell me that he was an expert at hunting cannibals. While I do not doubt this, I laughed at how he was trying to compare his prowess to my own. Zombies are tough to take down. Unless you possess a magnum or an assault rifle, you can expect to drop about ten handgun bullets on a single baddie. A cannibal is still a mortal. In truth, anyone can kill a cannibal. One bullet from any gun would be more than enough for three cannibals. Hell, if you like knife fights, you can usually come out the victor with mere scratches. Once I turned eleven, I knew that a huge burden was hoisted onto my shoulders. This is a destiny I refuse to take for granted. I am a bad ass in my field and I know that there is a distinct possibility that I will have to fight bloodthirsty monsters in my own city one of these years. However, I am not frightened at all. I have developed a lust for zombie blood in my life thanks to the knowledge I have gained from Resident Evil. Now that I have passed my resume onto you, I hope that you will all learn that you can count on me in the future. If there is a zombie outbreak, I personally guarantee that I will send them back to hell with an ass-whomping.
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Everything I need to know can be detailed in The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks.

Great book. He just came out with a new book called World War Z which accounts the war between the humans and zombies. And it is going to be made in to a film, which is awesome.

Quote:

Well, in the Romero world, there is some factor which keeps the body animated and the rate of decomposition slow down. It is never explained, but there were theories (i.e. Radiation from a space probe from Venus).

And in regards to not eating for a month, you have to go into the account that mentally, you will become very unstable. Sure physically you can survive, but you would break down mentally and do something stupid way before a month.

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is a topic that's near and dear to my heart. I've researched and debated with like-minded individuals about just what would be the best and most efficient way to survive a zombie outbreak and epidemic. There's really no one perfect way in how to survive such an event. There's quite several factors that need to be looked at in creating one's survival plans and preparations. There'd be a different preparation if someone decides to survive on their own and on the road. The ways for someone to survive in a fortified structure with others also uses different ways than when nomadic and alone. I'll break down each type of survival preparations and tactics for staying put and for going on the move.

Weapons

Firearms

Alot of people will instantly choose the most extravagant weapon with the highest firepower quotient. I've heard and read people mention about taking AK-47's and its many different variants as their weapon of choice. Then there's the camp who think the M-16 and its numerous variants would be the best firearm to carry for survival in an event of a zombie outbreak or epidemic. These are the people I would avoid at all cost for they would not just be a danger to others but to themselves as well.

For starters, assault weapons are very difficult weapons to maintain for long-term use. Even those issued to soldiers in the military need to constantly clean and maintain their weapon to make sure its aim is true and there's no chance of misfires and jams. I know the AK-47 is one of the most durable firearms ever conceived, but it is also a very loud and inaccurate weapon when minimal noise and accuracy is what a survivor needs the most. Then there's the issue of ammunition. Assault weapons are ammo hogs and even when using a weapon's selector to semi-auto, there's still the temptation by the wielder to go rock and roll with their weapon. This would mean that a person would need to have a constant supply of either 5.56 millimeter NATO rounds for an M-16 and ita variants and/or 7.62 millimeter rounds used by weapons in the AK family. Then theres' the later generation of AK assault weapons which use the 5.45 millimeter rounds that I know are not that numerous and easy to find in your neighborhood sporting goods and gun store.

The best firearm to have on hand for protection (for both zombies and gangs of raiders) would be something less conspicuous, not a heavy-user of ammunition and one that is rugged and easy to maintain. I myself would go for any rifle, bolt-action, automatic, or level-action that uses a .22 caliber longrifle ammunition. This type of ammunition is the most manufactures and sold type of ammunition in any sporting goods and gun store. It's usually used for hunting small game and for target practice. The shot report on such a rifle is many times less than those of assault rifles. Against slow-moving zombies it would have enough penetrating power to punch a hole through its temple. The slug being smaller and its power spent in impacting through skull would allow it to rattle around the brainpan and scramble the brain for a definite kill. Against raiders one may need somethng stronger, but a .22 cal LR slug would cause enough damage to wound an individual that their reflexes and movement could be impaired enough for them to be swamped with zombies who don't differentiate from you or the raiders.

Another reason for my recommendation of such a weapon is that its low-report won't attract the attention of zombies from miles away. It will still attract those in the close vicinity, but unless you're traveling and/or bunkered in a major population area, you won't have thousands of the shambling things turning in your direction. If one was lliving off the wild, the weapon and its caliber is good enough to hunt small game for food. Still, even with a recommendation of such an efficient and much quieter weapon, using a firearm should be used sparingly and a last resort if at all.

A shotgun should be the last thing an individual should be using as a weapon of protection from zombies. Against marauding raiders then its perfect, but on an opponent thats attracted to very loud noises it'll be like ringing the dinner bell and you're the dinner. Again, shotguns will need a constant supply of ammunition and even the most ubiquitous 12-gauge shotguns sold in sporting goods and gun stores can only hold as much as six to seven shells. Now, as a weapon to use to make sure you don't come back as a zombie after getting bit, it's perfect. Just place the barrel in your mouth and pull. No coming back for you.

Pistol sidearms should be used only as a back-up weapon in case your rifle runs out of ammo and you don't have time to reload properly. Just like the rifle recommendation, I would suggest a sidearm that uses a smaller caliber round. Any sidearm in the .22 caliber to .25 caliber would be ideal. These would have even a less report when fired. And with rifle and sidearm combination using these calibers, an individual can carry more ammo than their larger and heavier cousins.

Non-Firearms

Weapons that do not make too much noise should be the one that an individual should concentrate in wielding at all times. Whether bladed or blunt, such weapons do not need too much maintenance other than checking the blade's sharpness, and with a blunt weapon there's no need to even do that. The other thing to check would be whether its still able to handle more use or is it ready to crack, fall apart, etc...

Even in the category of non-firearm weapons there's a debate on which ones would be the best to use. I'm just waiting for those saying they'll be carrying katanas, other types of swords, axes and other cool looking medieval-era weapons. For one thing, most katanas and samurai swords sold worldwide are of the decorative kind. Real samurai swords are rarely found outside of Japan. If one was able to find such a rare weapon there's a difference between wielding one and wielding it with skill and efficiency. This should apply to other swords as well. The skill required to wield such bladed weapons and be effective takes years to learn. Now, if one did know how to use such a weapon, there's the factor of fatigue. I've heard that even the smallest sword would weigh at least several pounds in the range of 7-10 pounds. Now imagine trying to swing such a weapon over and over with all your strenght to achieve a decapitation stroke.

Now there are those who would pick axes as their weapon of choice. There are certain axes that would be ideal as a weapon in such an event. Ones sold sporting goods and hardware stores where the axe head and the handle are all made from a singular steel and forged into shape would be best. This will cut down in the axe handle ever having to break and shatter. The only thing left to do would be to keep the axe head sharp at all times. Now, there are axes that should be avoided at all cost. Axes like those seen at Renaissance Faires would be a no-no. I'm sure they're effective, but their size and weight would tire an individual out and their size would make carrying it too much work.

The only type of weapon from the medieval-era that people should even contemplate in picking up and use would be maces and preferably those without built-in spikes on the mace head. Spikes would add to the damage from a strong blow to the head, but it could also get stuck in the skull. The last thing a survivor needs is to have one of his primary weapons suddenly stuck in a zombie's skull with its buddies closing in around the survivor. A studded mace or a similar looking weapon would best serve a survivor.

Now, the weapon that I'd recommend in this category would have to be a machete or similarly forged blades. Machetes by design are forged to be durable and be able to cut easily through different types of surfaces and materials. The blades themselves are heavy with the edge on one side running up the lenght of the blade. They're also easy to keep sharp and more than one can be carried since they rarely come longer than 30 inches. The straight blade also means no need to find a fancy sheath or scabbard to store the machete when not in use. If one was smart and prepared enough, they can buy machetes that also uses very durable composite handles that wont warp due to weather like wood handles would. To keep the handle from breaking after much use wrapping duct tape and/or a leather strap over the handle would extend its lifespan.

Miscellaneous and Unique Weapons

These weapons should never ever be picked up unless you're either suicidal or just plain stupid. These weapons are either too big, needs maintenance the require knowledge of motors, or just too impractical. Remember the goal is to survive for as long as possible until a permanent safe haven could be found or created.

• Chainsaw (large and small) - despite its greatness as a weapon in Capcom's Dead Rising (especially the mini-chainsaws), these weapons require fuel to operate. Fuel that would be better saved to run generators and/or vehicles (if one was on the road). Their size and weight would mean that if a person missed with a swing they'll put themselves off-balance and open to a zombie's counterattack. But the main thing why these weapons are a no-no is the loud noise it creates just trying to start it up and then when it chain has started running. Again noise, alot of it, will be signalling every zombie in the vicinity and, probably from miles around, that there's food to be had.
  • Baseball bats (wood and aluminum) - Again these weapons may seem to be very convenient and excellent weapons to use, but they'll break too easily to be relied on for too long. Even aluminum bats will bend and become useless when impacting on a solid surface over and over and over. I know people who have said they'll pound nails through bats to make them into makeshift maces, but that'll damage the bat more before they're even put to good use. Avoid bats of any kind unless you're desperate to have something in your hands.
  • Cleavers and Butcher knives - These weapons almost act like smaller and lighter versions of machetes, but therein lies its disadvantage. They are lighter because the blades are not as large and heavy as a machete's. This means they'll shatter and break much quicker. The main disadvantage is that their smaller size means you will have to get much closer than you'd want to make a clean killing stroke. Worst yet are those who think attaching such blades to a long wooden or steel shaft will make the short-range a moot point. Yes, it would solve that particular problem but there's also the problem of the blade coming off if it impacts too hard.
  • Ssledgehammers - These construction tools come in many sizes and weight. The only one I would even think of carrying would be the small, hand-size ones with the 3-4 pound hammerhead. The rest would be too cumbersome to wield and swing. Then there's the problem of fatigue at swinging such an end-heavy weapon. Again, this is to survive for real and not like they do in Dead Rising.
  • Lawnmowers - While it looked cool in both Dead Rising and Peter Jackson's Dead Alive, this gardening tool is as useless as a one-legged cowboy in a buttkicking contest. Fuel will be an issue. The weight would make lifting it up to have the blades pointed in the right direction almost impossible. then there's the blood splatter that would surely occur if and when somebody does get to lift it to use as weapon. Such blood splatter might be carrying whatever is causing the zombie outbreak and epidemic.

Transportation

For those who choose to survive out on the road there's several modes of transportation available to them. All these types could be broken down into two basic categories. There's the motorized vehicles they can choose or they can opt for man-powered transportation. Both have their supporters, but lean towards using man-powered transportation.

Vehicles which use a motor has the disadvantage of needing fuel to continue running. If an outbreak occurs where basic services breaks down and supply of fuel to gas stations stop then fuel will become a very valuable commodity. People will rush to the nearest gas station and hoard as much fuel as they can carry with them. Every major crisis and disaster where utilities and services are severely interrupted (hurricanes, earthquakes, blizzard, etc...) there's always been a run by the populace to the gas station to get fuel. We as a society have become so dependent on fuel that even when there's no need to hoard such a commodity, we'd do it anyway just because we think we need it.

Another disadvantage of motorized vehicles is that their motors/engines will need constant maintenance. Such maintenance need a certain type of knowledge of mechanics and motors and not everyone has this skill. Just think of it this way. When your car, truck or motorcycle needs something checked and maintained do you do it yourself or do you go to an autobody shop? If you can answer this with a yes then more power to you, but I know that most would have to answer no. Even those can answer yes will have the additional problem of making sure they have the necessary tools, equipment and parts/fluids to make the necessary maintenance and repair.

Let's say that you do know how to operate, maintain and repair engines and other parts of a vehicle. There's the problem of noise such a vehicle will make when traveling down the highways, by-ways and roads criss-crossing the land. That's even if such pathways are not made impassable due to wrecks and other onstacles created by panicking and fleeing survivors-to-be and refugees. Such roads and paths could become your death-trap if your vehicle becomes stuck in such a situation. There sure to be hundreds, if not thousands, of zombies loitering in these major thoroughfares. The goal is to not attract attention and avoid discovery by these creatures as much as you can.

Now, bicycles are ideal in that one could move fast as long as their strenght holds out and their stamina is at peak level. This would make staying in shape a must before any such event as a zombie outbreak or epidemic occurs. If the bike breaks down or gets a flat then you could just leave it behind and start using your own feet to get you to your next destination. A bike could be found anywhere, but even if not easily found you can still use leg-power to move around. The one major disadvantage for picking a bicycle is the limit it puts on you on how much supplies and survival gear you can carry and still operate a bicycle safely. This wouldn't be a problem for those who may have been wandering for long periods of time and have become adept at scavenging for supplies, but for most it would make their on-the-road survival plans fizzle out real quick.

Using one's legs to walk from point A to point B would be the best option. One's legs won't break down other than needing to be rested just enough for a person to begin moving again. Also, being on foot will allow someone to carry with them as much as they can carry depending on their strenght and stamina. Again, another good reason to stay in shape just in case. Being on foot also allows for someone to move into areas and regions where even bicycles would be hardpressed to be used in. Heavily forested areas without footpaths would be best traversed on foot.

Another advantage of being on foot is that even the most out of shape individual, but who has a high level of self-preservation, will get in shape in due time as they constantly keep themselves moving and stopping only to rest. How many have seen people they know who've needed to lose weight and successfully do so when they've begun walking as much as possible every day and eating a healthy diet. It's a fool-proof way to lose the excess weight and increase one's overall strenght and stamina. It may not be the most ideal way to travel around since we as a society have really become complacent and lazy, but it surely will increase the chances of keeping you alive.

Types of Transportation - Advantages and Disadvantages

• Planes - Advantage is that it keeps you above the hordes of zombies. Disdavantages will be fuel, skills necessary to operate such a machine, have to land sooner or later.
  • Boats - Advantage are being out in the open water where zombies cannot get to you unless the water is shallow enough for them to walk underwater and climb onto your boat. Disadvantages fuel (for those that use a motor), can only carry so much supplies before you have to dock (a danger since docks means zombies), and could be capsized during storms.
  • Tanks and Armored vehicles - Advantages are its armor will keep you safe and its all-terrain capability makes traversing rough terrain and wrecks on roads easier. Disadvantages is again fuel, the skills to maintain and operate such a vehicle, noise, and finding one to begin with.
  • Trucks - Advantages are the ability to carry more supplies and most have off-road and rough terrain capabilities. Disadvantages are fuel, maintaning and repairing, and noise.
  • Cars - Advantages are making moving around much faster and allow to carry more than if one just lugged it around on their back. Disadvantages are inability to traverse unever surfaces with ease and don't even think of trying to drive them over wrecks without turning into one as well. Fuel, maintenance and repair skills, and noise makes up the rest of its disadvantages.
  • Bicycles - Advantages are that theyre quiet to use and simple to operate. Even those who've never riden one could quickly learn how to balance and use it if dedicated in learning how to. Disadvantages are that you could only carry as much supplies and gear and still ride a bike safely and quickly.
  • On Foot - Advantages are that you can carry as much as you're able to. You don't need any special type of fuel, just abit of rest and some food and water to get your strenght and stamina back. It will also force you to get in shape while being on foot day in and day out. Disadvantages are none unless you're a spoiled and lazy.

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Galram, Tullaryx, you sure do type a helluva lot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: