Suikoden Utopian and Irenic Kibbutz Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What if Nintendo made more mature games?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
But then, I'm not saying the ySHOULD, I'm saying what would the game be like if they did?

if they "were" the only thing i can see them do is a game like resident evil or along those lines.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't say there COULDN'T be Goomba guts.

Apophis Berserkers

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zelda would be just like how I've always wanted if they went in that direction.

I've always wanted a chronological sequel where Link is 30 years old. And by that point he'd be a hardened, elite warrior with no compassion whatsoever for his enemies.

of course that goes against most of what Zelda is in the first place so it'd never really 'feel' right. I just think it'd be cool to see something like that.

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've never been a fan of the "Mature" games that are out. Maybe its my personality or dislike for blood, guts, sex and drugs but I don't do that in real life nor do I ever want to. Sure sometimes a good play of Grand Theft Auto is releiving of some stress getting to kill a few people but in general I'm not one to fingd joy in those themes.

I don't play video games to see those themes either. Even though Resident Evil 4 was brilliantly done with the gore and everything, I didn't play the game for that reason. I've yet to beat it but it was a good game dispite the levels of bllod and such. However to add blood to Zelda, Mario or even Metroid is unneccessary. That element isn't what makes those games great. Its the gameplay. If zelda drew blood every time he killed an anemy, I'd dislike it because its severely unneccessary. I look back at Ocarina of Time and picture drawing blood and it detracts more than it adds. It gets even worse with Mario. Come on, guts and blood in a mario game is totally outside what that game is about. Mario is supposed to be the icon of good clean video gaming. He stands for doing the right thing, even iof it means travelling outside Brooklyn into a fantasy world of turtles, goombas. magic pipes and smashable bricks that hover. Nowhere does blood or realism ever take a front line in that game.

Not to say some games wouldn't do well wth it in there, but those games have already been esptablished. Metal Gear and Resident Evil are perfect examples of games that could be placed on a Nntendo system and still use the mature tag. Also, we've all conveniently forgotten Conker: Bad Fur Day. That game was vulgar and crude. And I bekeive it was made for the GameCube too, so Nintendo has had a few games that broke the mold. They just don't need to introduce that to thewir flag franchises like Mario, Pokémon, Zelda, Metroid and Kirby.

With all the emphasis on realism and graphics, Nintendo has made a point to keep out of that race. The wii will, graphically, be subpar to the competition, however they focus on more important things like gameplay, multiplayability and compatibility with prior systems. Things that I think real gamers want. I think thats where Sony and Microsoft are going wrong. Its in the name of their product. Video games. If they become too realistic and lifelike and include too much from real life such as mature themes, they no longer become games, but life simulation. A lot of the games for X-Box and the like are so graphically enhanced you actually feel as if you're there when Master Chief frags his enemy. Before you know it there will be a mount on the X-Box that actually sprays you with fake blood if you're close enough to a good head shot.

Its my beleif that Nintendo purposely stays "kiddie" because there will always be that market. Kids will alays be willing to play a game without all that stuff and as long as X-Box and Playstation keep churning out these M rated games, Nintendo will always be the parental favorite for not taking that route with their flag franchises.

Should Nintendo release a few games that have some sex, drugs or gore, bet your behind that they'll be rated properly and have fair warning to parents that the game is not suitable for their child.

As for a "Darker themed" Mario or Zelda, I think Twilight Princess is going to be the darkest themed game in the franchise. From what I have seen and heard, the game has much darker themes than ever before and the storyline is not suitable for pre-teens. And Paper Mario has had a darker theme than the rest of the Mario Series, but its still nothing close to what Yvl suggests, nor should it.

Mario, Kirby and Pokémon are all games that should never delve into the darkness. Zelda and Metroid can because of the adventourous nature of those games but the other three are too lighthearted fantasy to do so. Nintendo can always produce new titles that are darker and more occult and such and I'm fine with that, but to pull one of their flag franchises in on the experiment wouldn't be my idea of a good choice. I think with the resurgence of Pit in Super Smash Brothers: Melee, a new Kid Icarus franchise can be molded and that game could definitely get into a darker themed world with more absolute evil afoot and such. But keeping it good enough to qualify as a Nintendo franchise requires it stay away from suggestive themes.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Nintndo ahs good amount of 'mature' games, but they don't get as much attention as other 'mature' PS2 and X-Box titles. In terms of blood and killing Gamecube has the Metroid sereis, Eternal Darkness and the Resident Evil series are just to name a few.

I would like to see is more mature story lines. I think Ninintendo has plausible ways of doing i too and I think a good way for the storeis to becoem more mature is to somewhat mimic the HArry Pootter seies. Harry Potter statred out as bringe a litle kid and he stops evil magicians, but over time he grew up adn become more a of a complete person: having hatred, love intersts, defining himself as a person. But, through this whole time the series is still kid friendly. I don;t seee why Nintendo can't do that. Especially with something like Zelda.
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Technically I don't think Nintendo owns Eternal Darkness - that belongs to Silicon Knights who went third party.

A 'mature' franchise that Nintendo is actually starting to consider would be Project HAMMER for the Nintendo Wii.

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I could care less about Nintendo's mature games... in fact, I don't much care about Playstation and Xbox's either. Some are fun, but they don't make the console for me. It's not about blood, gore, sex or swearing.

If Nintendo made NEW franchises that dealt with themes young adults (and subsequently adults) would enjoy, I think they'd do a lot better. They seem to target younger kids, and they've continued to target that group with their games. Games such as Metal Gear Solid, though not necessarily "mature" in the blood/gore sense, still would do wonders for the system.

I think if the storylines, plots, characters or environments were targeted at young adults they would be better off. There are some games that do this, I know that... but I think if they made more, it would help them.

That said, I dislike the idea of messing with Zelda or Mario. Those franchises are great, I wouldn't go messing around there.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blasphemy wrote:

If Nintendo made NEW franchises that dealt with themes young adults (and subsequently adults) would enjoy, I think they'd do a lot better. They seem to target younger kids, and they've continued to target that group with their games. Games such as Metal Gear Solid, though not necessarily "mature" in the blood/gore sense, still would do wonders for the system.

Yeah, this is basically what I was aiming for in my earlier post. It's not about messing with the current franchises, but rather broadening their horizons by creating new franchises.

I'm not necessarily talking about blood, gore, sex and swearing either! Metal Gear Solid is an excellent example, thank you Blasphemy. It's tactical espionage, which involves some violence which is a bit more mature than say...Mario stomping an enemy and causing them to turn into 100 points. But it's still not your GTA type game.

Personally, I think GTA is a terrible game. It's too much gratuitous...stuff. It has virtually no purpose!

I do like games which are a bit more serious though, even to the tone of some of the games Nintendo used to publish (let's say 16 bit era) along the lines of even Final Fantasy, which deals with themes which are significantly more mature than lighthearted RPGs like Pokemon. There's nothing wrong with Pokemon and I certainly wouldn't advocate switching things around on the fans.

On the other hand, I would definitely advocate the concept that a broader variety of games is always better. It could do wonders for the sales of the Wii if they had a franchise like Metal Gear Solid that will push the system over the line for more mature gamers who are looking for that kind of thing. Not everyone is willing to dish out $250 (or whatever Wii's launch price is, I am admittedly ignorant) to play Mario.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Zeik Tuvai

Aura of the Wolf

12319 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Um... Nintendo more mature... Hmm... Yeah, no. I pray to Bob that they never change their ways. Yes, the Wii would have kept it's cool previous name, but you know, they are a fantastic company.

I have my orignal NES with Duck Hunt, and it still works. I recently passed my SNES down to my niece, because I got her hooked on Yoshi's Island (for those unaware, that game is about child abuse, dinosaur's getting stoned, and Kirby wannabees that moon you... Lol You think I'm kidding, don't you? ...). She's a total Zelda buff, we've spent hours on Ocarina of Time on the N64 together (Link is already corrupt enough, if you look for it. It's not hard). And what on earth isn't corrupt about Mario??? He eats mushrooms and gets big? That's a whole Llewis Carol trip right there.

I guess my point is... Why ruin a perfectly good thing? It's mature enough as it is, but in a way that's fun for kids. My own father pointed half of this stuff out to me as I got older.

Parallax wrote:
On the other hand, I would definitely advocate the concept that a broader variety of games is always better. It could do wonders for the sales of the Wii if they had a franchise like Metal Gear Solid that will push the system over the line for more mature gamers who are looking for that kind of thing. Not everyone is willing to dish out $250 (or whatever Wii's launch price is, I am admittedly ignorant) to play Mario.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes came out on Gamecube about a year or so ago. It's a remake of the original Metal Gear Solid on PSX, with improved graphics from Sons of Liberty. Probably one of the best games I've played on GC since I got it. It's a lot smoother then Sons of Liberty.

Edit: The only think I can think of that would make Nintendo better for me, personally, would be if they started releasing the Suikoden series on their consoles, be it the Wii or the Gamecube. They already have a lot of classic RPGs on their systems, but more never hurts.
Cowardice cannot survive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: