Suikoden Uncanny and Informational Kibbutz Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Romance of the Three Consoles
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fudozukushi wrote:
Go 360, I've pretty much hated Sony with a passion when my PS2 broke down after three monthes of use (and no it wasn't my fault I doubt how having it on a shelf with plenty of air, space and non-movement could cause any other system to break.) In fact the only reason I got a second PS2 was to play Suikoden again.

Honestly the PS3 may have this blu-ray junk but it's completely cost-inefficient. Power doesn't mean squat if it's not used which is what will happen.

Wii, will be the winner with 360 close behind and PS3 dead last by a mile.

Hate to tell you this, but that's a common problem caused by using the DVD player, and they would have fixed it for free. And your opinion has no bearing on how well sales will do, I tried my hardest in this article to keep from coming off as a fanboy.

Quote:
As for t6he success of each console, well, all I can say is that Sony is not going to have it easy, not easy at all, with Final Fantasy appearing in more consoles than one (Final Fantasy XI on the X-Box 360 and Crystal Chronicles on the Wii),

I hate that misconception. FFXI is an online RPG made only for money, and is not even considered a mainstream FF game despite its title. It came out for the PC to begin with, so it is by no means signs of X-Box having SE's support. The mainstream FF games are the ones people are the most interested in, and they are still PS excluisve atm.

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I hate that misconception. FFXI is an online RPG made only for money, and is not even considered a mainstream FF game despite its title. It came out for the PC to begin with, so it is by no means signs of X-Box having SE's support. The mainstream FF games are the ones people are the most interested in, and they are still PS excluisve atm.

First of all, the mainstream gamer doesn't really know how to separate the Final Fantasy's, if they did, X-2 and Crystal Chronicles wouldn't have sell, now XI is a main game, and the first console MMORPG most played game on X-Box Live! And rather successful in general (not on par with WOW but tat is another irrelevant matter), so if Final Fantasy XIII is coming on PS3 or not makes no real difference, the mainstream only know "Final Fantasy"...

And as you might know Final Fantasy XI first came out on the PS2 then PC and last for the 360, and SquareEnix being a smart company an not traditionalist like the stupid Konami for example, will make the brand available anywhere, and so did many companies lately...

Quote:

I tried my hardest in this article to keep from coming off as a fanboy.

Why? Is it because you have a particular soft spot for Sony?

Because I have being labeled anti-Sony many times, simply because I don't like their practices this last few years, I'm not particularly fond of any company, I'm judging them by their acts and that is why I usually sound anti-Sony...
Alucard

Blood Crusaders

2016645 Potch
214 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mister Alucard will just buy all 3 of them, but recently this found it's way to mister Alucard his ear:

Wii looks VERY promising, especially since it is getting it's own Resident Evil title again !! (Remember how spectaculer the Resident Evil on Game Cube was ? ^^)

Xbox never really caught up with me, the first Xbox is cold, it does not have a heart and does not feel good, the controller is way to huge and has to many buttons on it.
But Xbox 360 (yes already have one) is much better than it's previous version.
The game titles released on it are good so far, to get it online can be a pain as you need to update games and stuff sometimes (and ofcourse those updates arn't there yet and so on)..

PS III, good old Playstation, we have 2 of each version, so this one will be bought aswell ^^
No matter how much better or worse it is compared to any other console, it will be bought anyway !

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
It is off-topic if you look at this thread about those 3 consoles, but mister Alucard has never seen or heard of this one before.

The Phantom Game Console
Its developer, Infinium Labs, promises it will be the "must-have high performance game console," and that the Phantom will provide "more access to more games of every genre than any competing product," all "with blazing speed."

Six months ago, it was only a rumor among hardcore gamers. In fact, it seemed Phantom was, as the American Heritage dictionary put it, "an image that appears only in the mind; an illusion."

The juiciest rumor was that there never would be a console called Phantom. The conspiracy theory went that the whole thing was a hoax, concocted as a PR stunt.

The "unveiling" hasn't seemed to quash those rumors.

The console's specs do sound dreamy. The company's Web site says Phantom's standard components will include "the highest performance nVidia video card," "the highest performance Intel motherboard," and a Windows XP operating system. But I couldn't help feeling haunted by the fact that I was missing the key to unlock Phantom. And it had to do with the fact that the box had lots of connectivity ports... and no CD-ROM drive.

Anyone know anything about it ?

Regards
Mister Alucard the vague forum junky

Proud Blade of the Nameless Lands, Alucard, Blade of Shadows
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Anyone know anything about it ?

Yes for a long time now, games are supposed to downloaded though, so don't expect anything on retail, the console and company truly exist, the whole Phantom name and secrecy was part of the marketing strategy to get people talking, but apparently the Phantom will remain just that, a Phantom, and that is because Infinium Labs have money problems lately...

Besides they have no contracts for unique new games as far as I know, so they will probably letting all that power go to waste with ports from other consoles, or retro games, the download game scheme is something that will probably catch on in the future, but now Infinium is losing is time and money, seems unlikely that it will even get a release, though you never know...

Just like the Nuon...
red stuff

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No way I'm even considering PS3 until MGS4 or Suikoden VI come out. And I really doubt that the 360 will have enough of the sort of games that appeal to me to justify the cost, even though it seems Microsoft has been doing a slightly better job at getting Japanese support. I like the general idea of what Nintendo's trying to do with the Wii but there's not much info in terms of actual games yet. My interest in gaming in general isn't super high these days (not that I don't love playing games, I've just become more picky), so I'm in no rush to head into the next generation anyway. My current consoles are more than good enough for now.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

And as you might know Final Fantasy XI first came out on the PS2 then PC and last for the 360, and SquareEnix being a smart company an not traditionalist like the stupid Konami for example, will make the brand available anywhere, and so did many companies lately...

No it didn't. I bought it the day it came out for PC. I remember the prices for items soaring when the PS2 version was introduced due to people wanting noobs to stay out of the game. I don't even know what you're talking about with the rest of the quote. The point is though that people aren't going to buy the 360 just for FFXI, as they have two other platforms to choose from.

Quote:

Why? Is it because you have a particular soft spot for Sony?

If anything, I'm just an anti-microsoft fanboy. I've played a decent amount of time on every console in each company's past and present, and the X-Box just doesn't have anything going for it. I see sony as the lesser of two evils, and Nintendo as an all around plain company, I have nothing for or against them.

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

The point is though that people aren't going to buy the 360 just for FFXI

I think that I am a living, breathing (don't pay attention to the rumors that I am an AI gone haywire) proof that someone can buy the X-Box 360 for that reason alone.

Yes I know that I was going to buy it anyway, but the fact remains that I parted with my hard earned cash today for Final Fantasy XI on the X-Box 360...

Quote:

No it didn't. I bought it the day it came out for PC. I remember the prices for items soaring when the PS2 version was introduced due to people wanting noobs to stay out of the game. I don't even know what you're talking about with the rest of the quote.

OK then, unless I missed a screw lately (perhaps while I was taking the trash out last night) Final Fantasy XI was released first on the PS2 in Japan, then in the US on the PC and PS2, (never in Europe on the PS2) and then on PC in Europe, and finally on the X-Box 360...

And with the rest of the quote I meant that Konami for instance insists to keep the MGS series exclusive to Sony or our own Suikoden for that matter, while other companies have realized that exclusives are a thing of the past especially with the bigger market share today, that is why Grand Theft Auto IV is getting a release on the 360...

Quote:

If anything, I'm just an anti-microsoft fanboy.

Aha, with the word fanboy you might have lost me, so I will find a post I made in another forum regarding the concept of fanboy because I think I got it so right in that post it would be hard to reproduce...
Takemura

Darkside of the Moon

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wes wrote:
I think half the people who want a PS3 are waiting for it to come down in price before they consider buying it.

I think way more than half.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=2483

a poll from gamefaqs ;)

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I see Sony still being on top after a few years have passed and the market has adapted to the three new consoles. But the large 70 percent marketshare Sony has enjoyed the last 5-7 years will have eroded due to the fact that both the 360 and the Wii will sell well. People who seem to dismiss the 360 seem to Sony-centric in their mindset so there will be no convincing them about any successes the 360 will have. Comparing the release of the 360 to the Sega Dreamcast is ignorant at best and fanboyism at its worst.

For one, Microsoft has the financial reserves (larger than both Sony and Nintendo combined) to continue chipping away at the market until the general consumer base ends up used to seeing Microsoft as one of the gaming industry's leaders. Also, by releasing one year earlier they've allowed developers to get a chance to play around with the 360 Dev Kit and time to really utilize the Xbox Live and its Marketplace system. Microsoft has less to lose in terms of marketshare and visibility than Sony does. Already, Sony has had problems about the PS3 even before it's gone to production. This is surprising since for a company with a large share of the market it's missteps seem to be due to hubris about being the top dog in the industry.

Sony will continue to sell their consoles well and I predict the PS3 can and will sell millions within the first year, but the 360 has established itself with gamers (though Sony ones will never admit it) that its a viable nextgen console. Talk of the 360 not having a Blu-Ray and only releasing an HD-DVD component as an option seem to be one thing detractors like to point out. I, for one, am not convinced that either Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will be accepted as a viable new digital-storage format over the current DVD-9 discs anytime soon. I know people will bring up the fact that DVD really took off when Sony released the PS2, but it also showed that using a gaming console to play movie dvds will lead to quicker breakdowns of the system and even scratching the dvds themselves.

Nintendo's Wii will bring the Big N back to respectability in the console arena, but their strategy to forgo creating a nextgen HD system for something different will gain them marketshare from consumers who are not willing to spend over 300 for a new system and one that has a much more kid-friendly reputation.

In the end, I see the gaming marketshare 5-6 years from now looking like this: 40% PS3, 35% Xbox 360 and 25% Wii. Give or take 1-2 points.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Comparing the release of the 360 to the Sega Dreamcast is ignorant at best and fanboyism at its worst.

You couldn't be more wrong.
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3145154

Quote:

For one, Microsoft has the financial reserves (larger than both Sony and Nintendo combined) to continue chipping away at the market until the general consumer base ends up used to seeing Microsoft as one of the gaming industry's leaders.

That changes nothing. Just because you have money doesn't mean people will recognize you for making a video game console.

Quote:

Also, by releasing one year earlier they've allowed developers to get a chance to play around with the 360 Dev Kit and time to really utilize the Xbox Live and its Marketplace system.

The game designers aren't the intended audience, its the people who play the games.

I won't talk more about microsoft, as the kinds of things they've said, even recently, piss me off to no end. Ugh, I'm just going to submit this post now as any attempt to continue this post seems to result in me flaming them more. Just look their comments on the Wii and PS3 yourself if you don't know what I'm referring to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: