Suikoden Uncanny and Informational Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Comic Book Thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boogeyman

The Serial Peacemakers

795163 Potch
0 Soldiers
21927 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: The Comic Book Thread Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alright I saw the Infinite Crisis thread and I couldn't resist this one too. Let's talk Comic Books. I don't know how into them any of you are but I'll give a quick run down of my recent favorites.

Superman/Batman: Alright this one is written by Jeph Loeb one of the greatest writers in comic books and he's got a rotating cast of the best artists in comic books. Whats not to love? The first storyline really highlighted the relationship beterrn Batman and Superman, the next brought back Supergirl nuff said, the third was an in depth look at what Superman and Batman could have been in a different world and what could never be changed about them, and this latest story arc ties it all together with an Avenger's like team they have to face and a cacophany of villains manipulating events in the shadows across dimensions.

Green Lantern: My favorite hero hands down, not only Green Lantern but Hal Jordan Green Lantern. For those of you who didn't know he was the original and the most powerful. Unfortunately he went crazy at one point and began to kill all the other Green Lanterns in the universe then absorbed the power battery to try and have enough power to ressurect his home town which was destroyed. He died reigniting the Sun though as his heroic side shined in one last act of heroism. Then came his Rebirth last year, as it turns out he was being controlled by a being of living yellow energy named Parallax who was fear incarnate, Green Lanterns are chosen as beings without fear and this allowed Parallax to sneak up on them through their rings as he had been imprisoned in the Central Power Battery.
Parallax had been imprisoned also within Hal when he died. That is why he became the host spirit for the Spectre. The Spectre was trying to contain and cleanse Parallax but it couldn't. Thus when Parallax escaped Hal Jordan was returned to life as redeemed. So now one of the Greatest Heroes on the planet is alive and kicking once more. Pick it up.

Astro City: Astro Wha? Astro City, the best series you've never heard of. Unique universe but one you can easily recognize. This is Kurt Busiek's universe and it is good. Art and storylines that remind you of the nostalgic times when comics were simple and innocent but also with messages and subtext that are fit for an Alan Moore book. If you're interested try picking up the Tarnished Angel TPB and revel in a super hero story from a super villain's point of view. Steeljack is just released from prison and dealing with a system that never expects him to change. He lives in Kiefer Square with all the other B-Team supervillains and you get a symptathetic look at super villains simply trying to escape the conditions they live in, but being sucked into a never ending loop. One of the greatest humanes of the Super Hero genre.

I've got more but I'll hold off.

We're so bad and mean
We make nightmares out of dreams
We're the Spaceballs!

Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, although it's been months, or maybe years, since I've read a single comic book, I remember well the days of being a...well, I read comic books sometimes back in the day. Now I just spend money on them and let them collect on a shelf, but I am seemingly totally unable to break away. I think I ought to blame Boogeyman5870 for that.

All of the classic characters, the classic situations, I'm feeling just a touch nostalgic right now...and I can't claim I'm not still a comic book geek, after all, I own a startlingly wide assortment of superhero movies on DVD. I want to see X-Men III and the new Superman movie. I'm not one bit ashamed of it, either. However, before I launch into the land of comic-book nostalgia, I must address something.

Quote:
Then came his Rebirth last year, as it turns out he was being controlled by a being of living yellow energy named Parallax who was fear incarnate

I must admit to being somewhat upset that a comic book villain stole my beloved handle. I am the better Parallax! Fear incarnate, pfft, how about Samus Aran fanboy incarnate? Top that.

In any case, a few of my old favourites were some of the big trade paperbacks, including, but not limited to:

Red Son - The story of a parallel universe in which Kal-el's pod escaping Krypton crashed into the Soviet Union rather than in Kansas. Superman was raised to be the greatest of all Soviet heroes, and as the comic progresses, the world finds itself in a strange mirror of how modern history progressed. Eventually, Lex Luthor gained absolute power in the United States and straightened things there out, but only so that he could get a shot at killing Superman. Obviously, this led to a suitably epic showdown. I actually typically am not a big fan of Superman, because I think he's just too powerful, but I do like this book.

Kingdom Come - Perhaps best known for its beautiful illustrations, Kingdom Come is the ultimate story about superheroes gone wrong. I can't even begin to explain the enormity of this story, but it basically follows a preacher who's lost his faith, who's being guided around by the Spectre to witness and pass judgement on the events that he sees. Quite a fascinating read, especially if you like the DC characters. I'm more of a Marvel person myself, but that's something of a side issue.

Anything with Thanos in it - My favourite comic book character of all, the loveable super intelligent energy beam shooting alien, Thanos. From his gathering of the Infinity Gems to power the Infinity Gauntlet and make himself invincible to his seemingly hopeless struggle against the super-being Galactus, I love anything with Thanos in it. I'll bet most casual comic book fans don't even know who Thanos is, and that makes me very sad...especially since I barely count as a casual comic book fan.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Boogeyman

The Serial Peacemakers

795163 Potch
0 Soldiers
21927 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Red Son- This was the first comic I bought recently and what got me truly interested in them. As Parallax said it shows the entire universe in a universe where Superman was a communist. Unlike my friend however I do like Superman. Yes, he is overly strong and all that, but to be honest Batman who is just a guy has a better track record. After all Superman has died, the worst Bats got was a broken back. He is all powerful, but he can be beaten just like any other hero. I always find it fascinating as well as he is an alien but always represents the best of humanity. It shows that being human is more than just being born one.

Kingdom Come- One of the finest comic books ever written. Shows the side of superheroism and indeed power in general that can go so wrong. It shows what happens when those who have this immense power use it poorly. Then again it brings the heros into their complete roll of Earth's protectors. This highlights the primary difference between Marvel and DC, the heros of DC never kill, ever. Marvel heros will slaughter to get their objective, not all of them, but some of them (Wolverine *cough*).

JSA- My favorite ongoing series. I can't exactly explain why but I love it dearly but I do. For those who don't know the JSA was the original super team during the WWII era. The guys the JLA look up to. Original Green Lantern, Original Flash, the guys who have saved the world more times than even Superman. Now it is the new team though. A few of the old guns are still on board but mainly it is newbies taking up the mantles of the original heroes. New heroes struggling with the weight of legacy and learning what it means to be a hero. Earlier story arcs also feature Black Adam and Captain Marvel working together.

Last Point- Parallax should read more of his comics primarily his DC stuff.

We're so bad and mean
We're the Spaceballs!

Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mmm...read comics? I'm afraid I don't understand what you're talking about. I didn't know that one was supposed to read them, I thought they were merely there to accumulate dust in a big pile in my room. Apparently, that was my mistake. In any case...I feel the need to talk about Red Son some more.

Quote:
Yes, he is overly strong and all that, but to be honest Batman who is just a guy has a better track record.

But that's because of how powerful Superman is. Because he can't be injured, when he does get injured, it has to be something huge. Batman on the other hand, gets minor injuries all the time, but if he takes super massive ones, he'll just die. Batman would lose a lot of his charm if he could just come back to life like Superman can. That's not a cheap shot at Superman by the way, just a commentary on the radically different environments that the two characters inhabit.

In order to win, Batman has to resort to cheap tricks and violence. He has to sneak around in the shadows, and terrify his foes into submission. He's hiding from the law, even though Commissioner Gordon secretly supports him, and he has to maintain a strict double identity of Bruce Wayne and Batman. Superman likewise maintains this dual identity, but the existence of Superman is well known, and he's not afraid to make his presence felt at the first sign of trouble, day or night. He's a much more 'overt' superhero, and as a result, his comics have a greatly different feel to them than a Batman comic would.

Case in point, one of Red Son's only night scenes is the battle between Superman and Batman. As usual, Batman has to use some crazy skullduggery to have a chance of defeating Superman. However, in Red Son it's worth noting that Batman does die, although I suppose that doesn't really count, given that it's an 'alternate universe' type comic.

Also, I still prefer Marvel comics, so maybe I'll read those, and none of the DC ones. Bwahaha!

Boogeyman

The Serial Peacemakers

795163 Potch
0 Soldiers
21927 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Marvel is actually getting pretty decent. They are getting some of the best writers from DC on contract, but at the moment there are only three Marvel series I am excited about.

The first is Marvel Civil War. They tried it with the mutants before but now the government is issuing a general statement to masks. Register and work for the government or hang up the tights. Theres a split down the middle of the heroes with some of the more mainstream Avenger types rallying behind Iron Man and Reed Richards to fight for it and create peace. Then the other side rallying behind Captain America and Spiderman to keep their identities secret. It just started but it is shaping up to be a great conflict.

The next one is Daredevil. I know Parallax for one thinks Daredevil is kind of a lame superhero but this current story arc is really good. Matt Murdock has been outed and is currently in prison with all the villains he put in there. Everyone is out for his blood and he is basically hospitalizing everyone while still playing the poor blind man routine. The villains are starting to realize they are the ones that should be afraid. Also his long time friend Foggy Nelson got stabbed.

Finally there is the Ultimates. Avengers set in a more familiar world. Instead of being an independent group of heroes, they are a tool of the US government and even deployed overseas triggering a "Superhuman Arms Race". Currently the team has been crippled by a mole and a foreign group of super humans has attacked. The country is crippled and almost all of the members of the Ultimates are incapacitated, in the last issue they just started fighting back and everyone gets to see just how dangerous they are and how inevitably screwed the Invaders are.

We're so bad and mean
We're the Spaceballs!

Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mmm...well, I've always liked Marvel's characters better, although DC has often had the better writers. As far as their universes...I guess they're about the same for me, I like the science aspect of much of Marvel's universe, but DC's universe has more diversity to it, I think.

Honestly? I just really like Thanos. In fact, I just ordered The Infinity Gauntlet off of Amazon. You all can back off once it gets here.

Also, I like some of the TopCow stuff even better than I like Marvel. About the only comic book that I can actually be seen to read is Witchblade. Make fun all you like, but I'll always be a fan, I suspect.

Boogeyman

The Serial Peacemakers

795163 Potch
0 Soldiers
21927 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Witchblade? Being mezmerized by well drawn boobies. Yeah the art work is great but the same guy did the Supergirl story arc for Superman/Batman and that was even better. Top Cow is good for a entertaining read but give way too much gratuitous violence and language. They are waaay to into their image and it seems to hamper some of their stories.

You want some Indie Comics? I'll give you some flippin Indie comics that put Witchblade in it's place!

Watchmen: Ok so its not a series, it was only twelve issues and is now primarily in graphic novel form. It also happens to be the best thing ever written in the graphic novel/comic medium (Citation: Only comic to make Time's top 100 Greatest Novels of All Time... yeah of All Time). I could go into some stuff about it hear but I don't have the space or the energy. You want a good discussion on it look for some 400 level college classes. Read it. It also happens to be Alan Moore of V for Vendetta and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (The good comics not the destroyed movie) fame.

Wanted: A Top Cow book, and a perfect example of my earlier statement. A very cool read and a fun one, but it contains WAAAAAAY to much gratuitous violence and what not. If you can get past all of the flashy sin thats there to distract you Mark Millar penned a good story about what would happen if the super villains one. I'll give you a hint in the comic Christopher Reeves actually was supes before they remade reality after their victory and turned him into what he was before his death (R.I.P).

V for Vendetta- Well I don't need to go too in depth but it if you've seen the movie you've got the principles but the book takes you on a different but just as worthwhile ride.

Astro City- See my first post

We're so bad and mean
We're the Spaceballs!

Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Woohoo a topic about comics. I'm relatively new to comics since I only started a few months ago arround the time of Infinite Crisis, but I am completely hooked right now. Now then time for some of my picks.

52- This is a series currently out that deals with th missing year in the DCU(since all other titles jumped forward a year). It is a weekly comic that is supposed to be detailing the currentt week. At the moment it has somewhere around 6 plots that are running together. It is a really interesting approach to telling a story that I am really enjoying.

Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis- I never thought that I would be telling anyone that I was buying anything related to Aquaman, but this is just too good. With the year jump, Aquaman has shifted its focus from being another Superhero book to being a sword and fantasy title. The main character is now a young man who has suddenly been thrown into a world which he never knew existed and everyone seems to think he is Aquaman who has been missing for a while. This book is filled with mysteries, underwater oddities, and good old fashion brawls.

Firestorm- This book has managed to make for good fun. It is really well written and has some good mysteries going on as well.

I think that will be it for my recomendations for now.

Quote:

The first is Marvel Civil War. They tried it with the mutants before but now the government is issuing a general statement to masks. Register and work for the government or hang up the tights. Theres a split down the middle of the heroes with some of the more mainstream Avenger types rallying behind Iron Man and Reed Richards to fight for it and create peace. Then the other side rallying behind Captain America and Spiderman to keep their identities secret. It just started but it is shaping up to be a great conflict.

Personally this really doesn't work for me. To me it seems that this whole thing is fundamentally flawed. The name seems to imply to me that there will be infighting amongst the heroes at some point that will result in loss of innocent life. The heroes who don't want to give up their secret identities are being more then a little selfish if they find their careers as vigilantes and secret identities to be more valuable then innocent life. If they aren't happy about this decision then they should temporarily hang up their cape and try to change the law , not start a conflict that the only potential way to win would be overthrowing th government.

Quote:

You want some Indie Comics? I'll give you some flippin Indie comics that put Witchblade in it's place!

Watchmen:

Actually I'm pretty sure Watchmen is a DC comic.

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Actually I'm pretty sure Watchmen is a DC comic.

Yeah, Watchmen is technically a DC-label comic.

However, it consists entirely of new superheroes I believe, and it's an Alan Moore publication...he wrote other independent labels like V for Vendetta and the like. I think that even though DC published the book, it's really more of an independent label. Here's the wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen

I haven't read it myself, but I'd like to. Also, as both Boogeyman and the encyclopedia entry note, it was the only graphic novel to ever get placed on that rather prestigious 'greatest novels of all time' list. It also won a Hugo Award for excellence in science fiction according to Wiki. I know some people don't like the Wiki as information, but I really do.

Boogeyman wrote:
Yeah the art work is great but the same guy did the Supergirl story arc for Superman/Batman and that was even better.

I disagree. Although I did think the artwork for Superman/Batman as a whole was pretty good.

Quote:
Top Cow is good for a entertaining read but give way too much gratuitous violence and language.

Forgive me for saying so, but I imagine I'm a more avid reader of this one comic book label than you are. I'm not challenging you on DC, but I will on TopCow.

They do have a lot of gratuitous violence and language, though, you're right. It's certainly not the same classic comic book feel of labels like Superman, which continue to have (mostly) the same image that they did when Superman was first printed. I'd say I prefer the classic approach a bit more...but I also don't mind either violence or language, so that's never deterred me.

Quote:
They are waaay to into their image and it seems to hamper some of their stories.

All independent labels are. Music, movies, whatever. :O It's a fair point though, because it's pretty annoying.

Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All of y'all need to start reading Runaways right now. It's a Marvel series that has nothing to do with, and is largely unaffected by, all other Marvel canon. The reason being, it is set in Los Angeles while the rest of Marvel is largely in New York. The art (by Adrian Alphona), writing (by Brian K. Vaughan), and plot and characters are some of the best out there.

Anyway, the plot (there will, of course, be some spoilers here. I won't give anything too major, though):

Six teenagers (Chase Stein-17, Gertrude Yorkes-15, Karolina Dean-16, Nico Minoru-16, Alex Wilder-16, and Molly Hayes-11...okay, so five teenagers and an eleven year old) are forced together every year by their parents, claiming "charity work" as the cause. One year, they discover a secret passage in Alex's game room and spy on their parent's meeting. Turns out their parents aren't working out charitable donations, but are sacrificing a woman to creatures called the Gibborim. Turns out their parents are The Pride, a group of villains that, literally, control LA and much of the surrounding area (ever wonder why Doc Oc and Magneto didn't just pick up and move to California? It's because of these guys). Naturally, the group is freaked out and, as per the title, runaway. But first, they manage to steal weapons and info from their parents.

(The following info is blacked out, don't highlight unless you want to know about each kid's "powers")

Nico's body, during a fight with her mother, absorbs a staff known as The Staff of One. When Nico's bleeds, she can call out the staff and cast powerful magic. The hitch is she can only cast each spell once. Hence The Staff of ONE.

Chase's parents are scientists, and Chase swipes a pair of gloves called the Fistigons. These allow him to create and manipulate fire (see my icon for an example)

Karolina finds out that she is an alien. She can fly and shoot beams of light, but draws power from the sun, so is weaker at night and indoors.

Molly is a mutant. Super strong and tough.

Gert's time travelling parents were planning on leaving her a dinosaur that they had "made" for her -- genetically engineered in the 87th century. She has an empathic link to the dinosaur.

Alex has no powers, but is the brains behind the group and their leader. They stole the Abstract, which is sort of a playbook for the Pride, detailing the past and future of the organization. They also stole Mrs. Dean's decoder ring. Alex takes the reigns with that, and works on decoding the book to find out what their parents are really up to.

Anyway, they run, and decide to take their parents down. But, true to comic book form, one of them is still loyal to his or her parents, and plans to take the Runaways down first.

And that's all just the first 18 issues. Needless to say, they do win, the traitor is killed, along with all of their parents, and the runaways, well...continue to run. Now they're dealing with the power vacuum caused by their actions.

There are about 36 issues out (Maybe 34 or 35, I'm not 100 % sure of the actual number), with digets of all the first 18 issues (season one, if you will) being collected into one hardcover book, and the "second season" currently divided into two paperback trades, with more on the way (There's about six issues in each arc, and each arc gets a paperback). It is definitely worth checking out. Like I said, one of the best books out there today.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ahh people who like and love comic books. You are my kind of people. I used to collect and read them like crazy when I got out of high school a decade or more ago. Since then my interest waned for several years. Part of it due to the cost of buying 30-40 titles monthly. But I've recently returned to reading comics again, but this time less of collecting them and more of just enjoying some of the excellent writing that seems to have popped up in the last 4-5 years.

Below are some of my current favorites...

100 Bullets - This on-going noir series from Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso. I'd actually seen the first issue of this series on the shelves when I decided to stop buying and reading comic books due to cost. It's something I've regretted somewhat since, but I've caught up to the most recent issue and I consider Azzarello's writing for this series some of the best. He captures the basic and timeless themes of what makes for a great noir tale. I'd say he even ups Frank Miller's Sin City in the fact that the writing matches the quality of the artwork. Where Miller's writing for Sin City seem like an homage to the writings of Dashiell Hammet, Mickey Spillane, Raymond Chandler and Jim Thompson it still had a sense that it was playing at being noir. Azzarello's writing is noir and he doesn't advertise the fact that it is. He's also created one of the better characters of the last decade in the leader of the Minutemen: Agent Graves.

Transmetropolitan - What can I say about Warren Ellis' immensely, politically-incorrect diatribe and homage on Hunter S. Thompson other than it's one of the funniest, most compelling and timely comics of the last couple decades. His character Spider Jerusalem is just so vile a character that its hard not to like him. The fact that he might be going insane but at the same time still sound like the most sane person in the world he inhabits makes him such a classic character. I'm still surprised that Vertigo and DC had actually greenlighted Ellis to continue writing the title to its conclusion. But then Vertigo is also the arm of DC that gave comic book readers Ennis' Preacher.

The Walking Dead - Has to be one of my most favorite titles ever. It helps that I'm a huge fan of the zombie subgenre. Kirkman actually understood just exactly what zombie fans had been wanting to see and read in their comics. Even though many sees this title as strictly a horror comic I would add that it's also a very good book in detailing how humanity reacts in so many different ways when confronted with a major crisis with an emphasis on world-ending types. For a horror comic Kirkman's book has just enough of the gore that makes zombie stories so fun to read, but it also concentrates on relationships and characters. Kirkman treats the subject matter very seriously and fans of the book are glad for it. He does get to cut loose and have a ridiculous amount of fun on his zombie mini-series: Marvel Zombies.

Daredevil - I've always been a fan of Matt Murdock and his devilish alter-ego. But outside of Frank Miller's run on the title, he's always been treated like the red-headed stepchild of the Marvel Universe. I was surprised to find out that the title was rebooted a couple years ago with some chap named Michael Bendis taking over writing duties. Whoever made that decision to hire Bendis should be commended. Daredevil under Bendis' capable hands, and afterwards Ed Brubaker, puts the character back into the spotlight and, I'd daresay, has become even better than what Miller did to him. This is currently my must-read of each month. Even though Bendis has since moved on, I'm glad Marvel put another writer who "gets" the character in Brubaker.

Sleeper - A very underrated title and one that I think more people should pick up and read. Even though its set in the Wildstorm Universe, Ed Brubaker's spy-thriller comes close in quality and execution as a noir title with other titles similar to it like 100 Bullets and Sin City. Even though there's costumed superheroes and villains in the book, Brubaker concentrates on the powered characters who actually don't parade in tights and spandex. If there was a title out there right now that HBO could easily turn into another great series this would be it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: