Suikoden Uncouth and Irenic Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Viktor's real motivation in Suikoden 1
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightrider

1000 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Viktor's real motivation in Suikoden 1 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Last week I was replaying Suikoden 1, and had just beaten Neclord when Viktor says something to the effect of "My journey ends here, but yours does not." Then I asked myself why was Viktor fighting in the Liberation Army in the first place. Then it dawned on me, Viktor originated from the City-states, who at the time were Toran's enemy. So then I started thinking Viktor was only in the army to help Jowston either gain peace, or help Jowston invade Toran. I know it is a little far fetched but what do you guys and gals think?
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Viktor was referring to the fact that you just beat Neclord. Since he had an issue to settle with the vampire, then his journey ended there because he had achieved the goal (which was killing Neclord) by that particular time.

If his goal was to help Jowston gain peace or invade Toran, Viktor would say that his journey ends here only after they defeated SME and not Neclord.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

leena fighter

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally I think he was in it for the beer. And maybe to get a little action.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, I forgot to say what I think about why he joined the Liberation Army in the first place. I thought that he was recruited by Odessa and he had nothing else to do. Any news about Neclord would be a bonus for him.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Hrestelan

44244 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought it was official that he met Odessa and was impressed at her ideals. Viktor may act like a rogue, but he's the spitting image of the "wandering hero" who goes around doing good stuff.

Fighting the corrupt Imperial Army, who also was an enemy of his homeland, seems clearly his motivation.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, he didn't really have much else to do, now, did he? His hometown was destroyed, and all. I think Viktor was just wondering around, trying to find some purpose in his life, when he met Odessa and was impressed by her ideals, and he decided to fight with her. Or at least, that's what I thought happened.

I don't think he was sent up from Jowston to cause trouble; if he was, I think he would have been recieved a lot better as he would be some kind of war hero, wouldn't he?

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i was under the impression he was there to scout out the enemy for information; his rouge persona helped him seem less of a threat, as opposed to a more soldierly type.

he also was more likely to come across information about neclord in his travels, as opposed to staying in one place; that was most likely his main goal. once he joined up with odessa, he found another cause worthy of his efforts and decided to help...maybe not fully accurate, but the game gives that impression.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Pasius

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Personally I think he was in it for the beer. And maybe to get a little action.

That's just about along the line I was thinking on :mrgreen:
But, anyways, the real reason I think he would have said it is because he probably had intentions of leaving this life behind after he had finished what he considered to be his duty. If I'm not mistaken... right after you beat Neclord he takes off from you party(it's been awhile since I played). On second that, scratch that, I need to go back and play it again anyways... I may be really off here.
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don`t really think he was working directly for the Jowston government...he doesn`t exactly strike me a very patriotic sort of guy. On the other hand, he has close ties with Annabelle...

I think he joined the Liberation Army partly because he was impressed by Odessa`s cause and partly because he simply needed a job. As someone else said, his hometown was gone, he didn`t really have anything else to do, and I think he`d be bored out of his mind if he`d started to work as a baker, smith or some other kind of craftsman. Since the only job he`s good at(and likes) is being a warrior, he needed to find someone to fight for. After all, he needs to eat just like anyone else, and there doesn`t seem to be any welfare system in Toran. And since he was sympathetic to Odessa`s cause, he started to work for her rather than join the Imperial Army.

This is also supported by the fact that he still works as a mercenary when we meet him in S2. Perhaps a large army is a bit too organized and strict for his tastes...

Brotherhood of Strife; Fate

311768 Potch
11 Soldiers
724673 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that he just figured that if he kept fighting along with the liberation army he would find neclord.

The Hundred Acre Wood Soldier Guys

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm going to have to go along with the wandering hero idea that Hrestelan mentioned. It seems the most likely scenario.
Reed

Cloak-and-Sword

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well wasn't Neclord employed by the Scarlet Moon Empire to maintain the region of Lorimar? If Viktor knew that Neclord was a part of the S.M.E., he would probably be even moreso inclined to help Odessa.
Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Watch the magic (I say that way too much) Viktor's quest was to....find and kill Neclord. On his journey, he met and became good friends, so they decided to do their corresponding quests together (Viktor had to kill neclord, and Flik was on his Warrior's Quest). Somewhere along the way they met Odessa, and Flik well in love. Viktor certainly like peace because he fought for it twice. Since he was friends with Flik, he figures why not just help him out, since Flik was originally from Toran.

After he kills Neclord he says he's going home to tell them the good news, and that his quest is over. Now, when he does leave, he isn't a star anymore, therefore you wasn't going to come back. Whe you do go save him, he figures he owns Tir, and decides to fight again. After the war, him and Flik go to Dunan. Viktor probably knew Annabelle, and she asked him to do her a favour, a la Merc Fort (Yes that's right, it says in Suikoden 2 that Viktor becoming the Mercenary leader, on the City State side WAS a request from Annabelle), and there Flik and Viktor met Riou, and decided to once again have a part in history. Viktor's quest was over until he came across the real Neclord in the Second game. After he killed him, and they made the castle at North Window...(after seeing no one was there therefore he had no place to return to, kill Highland and bring peace, then go chill with Flik.)

It's actually quite logical as to why he wouldn't be in any other Suikoden games when you put it together.

The real question is, did Flik, before going to Dunan, go back to Warrior's...
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think Flik ever returned, since he never completed his "manhood journey"
nightrider

1000 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Pyroflame wrote:
On his journey, he met and became good friends, so they decided to do their corresponding quests together (Viktor had to kill neclord, and Flik was on his Warrior's Quest)

See the way I thought it went was that Flik was a member of the Lib army before Viktor. If you remember, when the game started and you first met the Odessa, Flik, and the others Flik does not trust Viktor. So if they where "good friends" how come Flik could not trust him? Further more if Viktor had been one of the founding members of the Liberation army how come he was not in the Suiko 1 intro. It shows Flik, Odessa, and Humphrey fighting, but not Viktor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: