Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Keystone Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden IV composer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucied

1846 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Suikoden IV composer? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This should go here, but it's not about gameplay or story.

But, I'm a huge Wild Arms fan. Have been for years. And moreso than Suikoden, despite my longtime association with the Suikoden community, which included a run at Suikosource.

So, imagine my surprise when I located the Suikoden IV Prelude soundtrack, only to play the song Departure, and hear parts of Wild Arms songs in it.

That song sounds a lot like Wild Arms music, to me. And, I was wondering, who all worked on the music in Suikoden IV?

What I could find, from the Wild Arms game manuals, is that the series composer is Michiko Naruke. Is there any relation between him and the series? The person credited on the Suikoden IV song isn't Naruke, but the song has parts nearly identical to some Wild Arms songs. The Adlehyde Castle song, for one. Another part of the song sounds like it comes from another Wild Arms tune, but I can't place it at the moment. I know I've heard these songs. I've spent countless hours playing the first two Wild Arms games, and I know these songs.

I have access to a couple Wild Arms soundtracks, as well, so I've been comparing songs. It just confuses me how Suikoden IV could have parts of Wild Arms songs in them, when they aren't made by the same company (SCEI and Media Vision make Wild Arms).

I don't know. It's just confusing :?
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. Isn't Michiko Naruke female IIRC?

2. An artist named Coba did at least the intro music from Suikoden IV, he might have done other stuff, though. I think the rest of the music was just done by Konami staff members, and not a particular person.
Lucied

1846 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Marshmallow wrote:
1. Isn't Michiko Naruke female IIRC?

2. An artist named Coba did at least the intro music from Suikoden IV, he might have done other stuff, though. I think the rest of the music was just done by Konami staff members, and not a particular person.

Umm...I don't know the gender of Michiko Naruke :oops: I just found the name right before I posted. The instruction manuals give credits, but nothing more than names.

And, I don't know if maybe the song bits from both games are influenced by a common source, or what. But even if it is just a few seconds, the S4 song shares a part with Wild Arms 1/ACF. And I know I've heard much of the rest of the song in Wild Arms, as well.

I just thought it was interesting. No other Suiko IV song on the soundtrack reminds me of anything else. It's just that one song. I don't know if it's a common melody in Japan that they've adapted, or some other connection.

I'm just curious about it. I really was surprised to hear the song.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just to clarify, Coba did the intro (La Mer) and the credits (Genso no Sekaie).
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

More discussion on this topic can be found at Suiko 4 soundtrack and Opening Music.

Michiko is female. There's one easy tip about Japanese names, if it ends in -ko its very likely female. Of course, not all women's names have -ko.

I don't think Departure is that special a song. It seems the usual bombastic RPG fare, like Adlehyde castle. There is no Japanese traditional music culture that would influence these two compositions, as they have been tried to make in Western style, like much of generic RPG music. The style is not that special, so it's not unlikely that two composers could come up with a similar sounding composition.

Listen to enough music, and you'll hear similarities everywhere.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's odd. Michiru Yamane, Keiko Fukami, and Masahiko Kimura were in charge of Suikoden 3's soundtrack.

But is it just me or Suikoden Prelude only credits Masahiko Kimura? I thought all three of them were in charge of Suikoden's music after Miki Higashino left the company.

1846 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sami wrote:
More discussion on this topic can be found at Suiko 4 soundtrack and Opening Music.

Michiko is female. There's one easy tip about Japanese names, if it ends in -ko its very likely female. Of course, not all women's names have -ko.

I don't think Departure is that special a song. It seems the usual bombastic RPG fare, like Adlehyde castle. There is no Japanese traditional music culture that would influence these two compositions, as they have been tried to make in Western style, like much of generic RPG music. The style is not that special, so it's not unlikely that two composers could come up with a similar sounding composition.

Listen to enough music, and you'll hear similarities everywhere.

Eh, maybe you're right. Maybe I'm just making too much out of it. Still, I don't recall hearing that similar of music between two different games without them having the same composer. I just thought it was odd.

Still, I can't hear the song and not think of Wild Arms. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the music plays out.
KonRei

The Sharingan Archer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lebenengel wrote:
Just to clarify, Coba did the intro (La Mer) and the credits (Genso no Sekaie).

not mention, they also composed the Corrector Yui 2nd ED and Cape of Storms by HYDE

Today's angel are tomorrow's devil...fear it, live it, die with it... -Kon Rei
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Soundtrack does bring up music from other gams like the aforementioned Wild Arms and i'm sure i heard some Thousand Arms music as well... But I guess the creators of the soundtrack wanted us to feel familiarity of the tunes within the game so we can reminisce. Whic h fits the game because it happens in the past!

Good job, Suikomposers! (©copyrighted word by me :D)

Hrestelan

44244 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a big fan of game OSTs, especially RPG ones. But I don't notice any similarity between a Wild Arms OST and Suikoden IV OST.

Michiko Naruke has a very unique style IMO, easy to tell apart from many other composers. And that song, Departure, has a slow pace and doesn't really seem like one of her Wild Arms tracks. The whole comparison you did sounded weird to me, to be honest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: