Suikoden Urgent and Irenic Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Sexuality in Suikoden
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leena fighter

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hrestelan wrote:
I don't think Luca is a gay, but he's not into women. This is where his strength comes from... By not having sex, he accumulates a power beyond human nature! I should try that also!

HE'S PROTECTING HIS PRECIOUS BODILY FLUIDS!

AHA! Luca's motives FINALLY REVEALED!!
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh right, sorry brain didn't kick in :? Its Jillia not Julia.

Sophita wrote:

It's implied but I still think that one is a canon relationship. I mean, they were married; We have scenes where we can say Jowy always did like Jillia, we have a scene where Jillia is shown to like Jowy, and then time and time again we see Jowy making decisions to preserve Jillia's life - "Sacrificing" the doll rather than her, making sure she had a home to go to in Harmonia when the fight was over, the infamous "final goodbye"...I think that's about as much of a relationship that can be stated without more or less having Pilika hold up a banner saying "Uncle Jowy and Aunt Jillia are in wuv!" :*laugh*: There's much more proof there than say, Ronnie Bell and Mose, who are as canon as you can get. Romance in Suikoden is almost always kept in the backround; I can't really think of too many times in the series where it's very plain to see. I completely agree with it not being as direct, but I don't think that doesn't mean it's not a canon relationship.

I see your point, however it is still speculation. There could be various reasons of why Jowy didn't sacrifice Jillia. Like Jowy didn't agree with the religious point of sacrificing anyone. You see Jowy trying to save others like Riou and Nanami several times as well. Although I'm not saying that Jowy didn't have feelings for Jillia, but it is up to us to decide wheter or not we think there are enough hints there to actually make a relationship. In this case I take the defeat and see that Luc and Sarah are just as non-canon in this sense then, and it is up to us to interpret if they were something more.

Quote:

I think Luc and Sarah tread the borderline between a couple and not a couple. Clearly, I think, they had feelings for each other - Sarah's feelings are obvious, and Luc is shown worrying about her wellbeing, so I think at the very least they were very good friends. The fact that they were <spoiler> willing to die together (and the way they are holding one another)</spoiler> is certainly pretty convincing "evidence" of a relationship as well, IMO. I don't think they were really "involved", but more because I think Luc's angst over his existance more or less blinded him to everything in life but destroying the TWR. ...But wahey, don't they share a room at some point in Le Burque, without Yuber or Albert around? :wink: :*laugh*:

If they did I don't really remember, I have a short term memory :roll: . I don't really see good friends willing to die with each other like that. Although Luc is a bit unclear of what he actually thinks of Sarah, whether he loved her as a friend or lover, we can't really say.

Last edited by Dragonstar13 on Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:05 am; edited 3 times in total
Lucied

1846 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Seeing Saben's last post, on page 2 (for those with default settings), makes me glad I decided not to read all the posts in this topic. I might have exploded, had I. Probably be banned, too.

In my own little world, I like to think Kasios is gay. I love Kasios ^_^ Lala. He's my fave Suiko 1 character. I was shocked when an old friend (who now runs this site) said at the Castle Of Kain that Kasios is male. My jaw dropped, and I fell in love with the character ^_^

But, not all sexuality has to be homosexual. I mean, Jess seems like an obsessive lover/stalker. Neclord likes to dominate. Sierra likes the lights off. That kind of thing.

I like all the "hints" Konami put into Suikoden 3 about Chris' sexuality. Her bond with Yun, the bath scenes with Ayame and Cecile respectively, among other things. They don't go out and say it exactly, but they hint that Chris seems more intrigued by, and caring for females.

And I could go on about the relationship of Riou and Nanami. I know, some are like, "Eww! Incest! Yuck! >_<" But, they aren't actually related. Hah XD Not like I would care if they were. Nanami always gets so flustered whenever another girl tries to get close to Riou. She's afraid they will steal away her dear, sweet, adopted brother.

What? This is a sexuality thread, isn't it? That includes everything XP I know, no adult content. Well, I'm trying to keep it clean.
Shiva

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was wondering when this topic would pop up. ^^; Okay, here's my two cents, and it's rather lengthy.

Kobold wrote:
Frankly, i think that bath scene was meant to be as a joke... And Percival is constantly hitting on the girls in Brass castle, so i really can't see his character to be potrayed as a homosexual. If Konami had such intentions, i don't think he's make him hit on girls. Besides, there seems to be some romance between Percival and Chris anyway. At least to me...

Well, actually, I don't think he's really hitting on them. He is seen in the courtyard surrounded by a group of girls, but if you actually go up and talk to him, in reality he seems rather... bored. As for romance between him and Chris, I personally don't think it's there. Percival doesn't show any feelings for Chris but respect and friendship, while Borus and Nash make their attraction to Chris far more obvious. I have a friend who is gay that is 100% convinced that Percival IS homosexual, if not bisexual, so I guess it just depends on the person and how they interpret the character.

Dragonstar13 wrote:

I meant Jowy and Julia being not canon, not Luc and Sarah. Julia you do see her reveal her feelings, but not Jowy. He doesn't say, "Julia I love you, please go so you can be safe." However it's hinted. This is what I mean by it's not direct as some other relationships. The most you can say about them being canon is the black out scene when she said her goodbye, but that can be interpreted as anything. Unless Konami outright says it, I don't see them canon.

Yup, I agree. I think at first Jowy might have had a small crush on her that faded over time, but he did still care about her. As for Jowy marrying her, it is quite clear that he did not do so out of love. In the game, he tells Riou, "I have a dream to make this land safe again. So that children like Pilika can grow up surrounded by the warmth of people that love them...I want to go back to a time like that. For that, I'd fight with every last bit of strength in my body." He desperately wanted this, and to him, marrying Jillia and becoming king was the only way he could achieve it. And since were are talking about "hints" between characters, and the topic here is sexuality, I will say that Suikoden 2 has a lot more "hints" that make Jowy/Riou more plausible than Jowy/Jillia. It's quite obvious that Riou and Jowy have a very deep, beautiful friendship, and the vision they have at the shrine in Toto Village is one of the key scenes in the game that shows this. Also, in the "good" ending Jowy chooses to stay with Riou and Nanami rather than go back to Jillia. I know there are people here who will argue that Eilie had a thing for Riou... but so what? There is never any scene or any instance that shows Riou returning those feelings in the slightest. He shows more fascination for Annallee and Karen, for crying out loud. In RPG's, there is always someone who crushes over the main character, I have yet to see any RPG that doesn't. Even if Riou isn't gay, he could do a lot better than Eilie in my opinion... she seemed kinda stuck-up to me. ^^;

Saben wrote:
Sun_Quan wrote:
Luca Blight? A I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK? **LMAO @ the notion** Oh my God, Yuber that was priceless! I can just imagine it now, on the surface he's the most vicious bastard you'll ever know, but when alone, he is a total fruit cup! Dear God I love it, that'd be a grand idea. He hates everything because he's as queer as a three-dollar bill. **walks out of here dying of laughter and decides to shut up before it gets worse**

You don't have to endorse homosexual, but I do advise you watch your mouth. The term 'I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK' is not appreciated at all, it has very negative connotations and your willingness to think that a homosexual Luca means a Luca who behaves at all femininely verges on insulting.

I appreciate the humour of Luca being a closet cross-dresser, but straight men occasionally find cross dressing appealing and some gay men are utterly repulsed by the idea. So just watch how you convey ideas, it is a dangerous topic to be careless with.

Very well said, Saben. Also, this might not be the best example, but in a lot of Japanese yaoi manga, many characters are portrayed as very masculine, and I've very rarely seen yaoi manga that involves crossdressing. As for Luca Blight, he eerily reminds me of Muraki Kazutaka from Yami no Matsuei... albeit Muraki is a little more elegant about the way he kills people. ^^; And another thing about Luca... (SPOILER WARNING) as a child he had to watch while his mother was raped over and over by the bandits that took them hostage. In the scene where Agares dies, he says "My mother and I were callously dishonored." As horrible as it sounds, it made me wonder if they might have abused Luca as well. :? That could have one of two effects on a person: they could grow up totally hating sex and avoid any kind of sexual relationship, or becoming obsessed with sex. And since Luca seems more obsessed with killing... I would say in his case the former is more plausible. ^^;
Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You guys really don't get it do you...

Speculation on this kind of thing is kind of stupid. Think about it. You're a character creator at Konami. You just drew Luca BLight, but you don't have a name for him yet. You look at his face, and it's not evil enough, so you draw the shadow. He's certainly evil. The blight of the world. Ah, that's a good last name.
Something Blight. Hmm.....Luca Blight. Thats it!

Do you actually truly think when they were making the characters they were thinking:

Ok... Tir's straight, Phan's straight, Cleo's straight, Gremio's gay.
Teo's Straight, Alen's straight, Grenseal's straight, Viktor's a mo.

Of course they didn't. There's no basis whatsoever for sexuality in this game. NONE!

I mean, what legitimate reason would Konami have to stating everyone's sexuality?
I mean, half of them are kind of obvious, but that's not the point.

As for Luca being gay....I don't see it. I see him as a man who thinks sex is for the weak. All he thinks about is murder, similar to a serial killer. The difference between him, and say, Gacy, is that he doesn't lure little boys to his house, **** them, kill them, and then bury their bodies below his house, and go out as a clown for his next pray. No, Luca kills em right in front of his parents.

Why I don't think he likes sex too much? Scarred when he saw his mother get raped. It's a common thing to happen when you see someone you love get raped.
I still don't see how that didn't come up over the varies ways he could be homosexual.

As for Saben flipping, amen. I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK is very very very demeaning. You're certainly no better then someone who likes the same sex. They're still human. We're all the same. I could call you a *insert whatever the hell race you are* to demean you the same way. It's not fair. Not in any way. I expected better from you Sun. You've said such smart things everywhere else. And if you were joking? Well don't conform to the rest of society and think being gay is wrong. Cause society is stupid. (Society follows the media, which is certainly bullshit).

There really is no basis for sexuality in a video game, unless it's actually part of the plot...NO Luca isn't a crazed homo wanting to rape all the children in the City-State. Minds out of the gutter.

See what I mean? When you throw things like Sexuality and Racist into a game, it takes all the fun out of it. Cause then you think "What did they mean by this" and it stops being a game when you start finding those kind of things. Suikoden is a game, not the 108 types of homosexuals.
Queen

Ghosts of Gor

2000 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that Luca Blight suffers from a severe case of Oedipus Complex. He's so much a mama's boy, he can't become attracted to women.

I think Yuber(in game Yubs) is gay. I don't know why but I cannot imagine Yuber with a woman in any situation. Other people I have talked to share this sentiment.

Sasarai's a bit of a pansy, but it doesn't help when you're drawn to look slightly girlish. :p

Albert is self-explanatory. I think he's with Yuber.(canon I know) Although, Albert seems to be a bit narcissistic.

Riou is a fruit.

Luc is a pineapple. Spiny on the outside, sweet on the inside. ^-^

Hix is a rice cake(unflavored), but I think we already know that.(I apologize if I offend any fans of Hix.)

I have gotten a bit off topic, so I'll stop writing.

The One-Eyed Jacks

30154 Potch
11 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As far as Percival goes, the Manga seems to be hinting at them coupling up at some point, as near as my spotty Japanese can tell me. Perhaps the English version will reveal more to me later. Or I could, you know, go back to studying, but... damn, that's a lotta work...

And Yuber? He's a chaos demon. He probably doesn't even have genitals. Pairing him up with Albert doesn't seem to have a whole lotta basis to it, considering Albert regards everyone around him as little more than pieces on a chessboard. Albert/Yuber pairings fall under the general Yaoi formula of "I think X is hot and Y is hot, so they must play 'hide the sausage' off camera." Albert strikes me as the type of person who considers himself above basic biological imperatives like that, and would have very 'business-like' sex with a woman who he married to improve his political standing so he could have an heir to further solidify his position and then be done with it.
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For one thing, i agree with Pyroflame... Konami most certainly didn't specify sexuality for their characters. They have better things to do...

Still, what this discussion is about is what sexual orientation characters SEEM to have in the game by their behaviour and stuff...

Still, i'd like to think of them all as straight... Except maybe for Kasios... And well, someone should know, but i find Culgan and Seed being thrown together that way annoying...
nightrider

1000 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARSadmin wrote:
Even with Kasios' example, (and he is male) he appreciates Milich purly because Milich appreciates Kasios' music. Love is never mentioned or even implied--at least in the Japanese version.

In Suiko 1 US, one of the books (I can't remember which one) states the he is "deeply in love with Milich."

Anyway back to the topic. I agree with what Pyroflame is saying, but I would like to add something else. There is an old saying that goes "perception is reality" and it is true. How someone perceives another is what that person is to them. For example Percival acts a certain way that makes him appear gay to a homosexual, while straight to a heterosexual. I think in many cases a characters sexuality or anything else for that matter, if not stated by the game is chosen by the player. This in tern leads the player to choose something that makes the character easier to relate to the player for him or her self. Once again back to Percival he is straight to me because I am, and gay to an another because they are
Sun_Quan

Luminous Army

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Saben wrote:
You don't have to endorse homosexual, but I do advise you watch your mouth. The term 'I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK' is not appreciated at all, it has very negative connotations and your willingness to think that a homosexual Luca means a Luca who behaves at all femininely verges on insulting.

Dear me, I guess I must've been desparate for a laugh at the time, been having it rough in the waters as of late to put it simple. I apologize for my callousness then. In all seriousness, I have nothing against homosexuality, I just find gay humour to be some of the funniest stuff ever, Scott Thompson (he played many characters on the Canadian sketch comedy show "The Kids In The Hall") was brilliant, he was able to make fun of himself because he was gay, and at the same time promote that perhaps it can be a beautiful thing to come out and admit it.

I guess I must've hung around with my uncle FAR too much, he uses the term "I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK" to describe a gay person almost all the time, and it rubbed off on me. You're right in that it can be very insulting if taken the wrong way, it was stupid of me to use such a connotation to describe the idea. Still, it would be funny if Luca was a homosexual, though I know that will never happen, soully because he hated everyone and everything.

But seriously, I take the point, I was wrong in saying what I did, and I'm sorry for it. Hopefully you can forgive me for it Saben.
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Apology accepted, I know you probably weren't just thinking, which while not a good thing can happen to the best of us.

I essentially agree with Kobold and Pyroflame, by and large unless relationships were stated then Konami really didn't intend for the character to be in a relationship. However, this topic is about your perception of the sexuality and relationships of characters (sexuality means more than just gender orientation, remember) so we can debate and discuss it without ever really needing to go into what Konami intended or was thinking about. It is merely speculation and hopefully speculation with in-game facts to back it up.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

In Suiko 1 US, one of the books (I can't remember which one) states the he is "deeply in love with Milich."

The US version sure does have a lot of problems.
Stampede

The One-Eyed Jacks

30154 Potch
11 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mathiu also refers to himself as a Military Surgeon, but I never see him serving as a meatball doctor. Is "military surgeon" really a possible translation for the Japanese word for "strategist" or is it just a half-ass translation that the localization team sorta cooked up?
Sun_Quan

Luminous Army

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed, and the main reason I was laughing about the whole Luca being gay thing is because I just didn't see it. If I did see it, I probably wouldn't have been. But besides that, I tell the truth here, I was not thinking at the time, good relationship gone bad type deal is what was happening to me during when I stated what I did, as I said, I was desparate for a laugh.

Anyway, most speculating here has been for the most part valid in my books, the only thing I've not seen is someone who could speculate about Thomas and Cecille. I definitely see potential for a relationship between these two, yes, it might not seem it right now since they are both young, and have alot of growing up to do, but I think as time grows on, if they keep in touch (most likely they will) that there will be feelings starting to brew between them. You know how it is, friends first, and then lovers later? Those are the best relationships, as you get to know the person like the back of your hand, and know what they like and dislike, and what can satisfy them.

Anyway, I hope that you all can forgive me for that mishap back there. And thank you Saben for understanding. Take care of yourself until next time. And I look forward to seeing what people think of my idea of Thomas and Cecille.
Sun_Quan

Luminous Army

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Stampede wrote:
Mathiu also refers to himself as a Military Surgeon, but I never see him serving as a meatball doctor. Is "military surgeon" really a possible translation for the Japanese word for "strategist" or is it just a half-ass translation that the localization team sorta cooked up?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter of the two. Most translations do leave much to be desired.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: