Suikoden United and Irrational Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Editorial: Makai's Political Maneuvers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Editorial: Makai's Political Maneuvers Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Article URL--
http://suikox.com/ed/makai40430.html

Please discuss the article here. I am interested in feedback, especially regarding the following points--

1. Do you like to see more articles that delve into the psychology of specific characters?

2. What did you like/dislike about the article?

3. Did the article change your perception of Makai? Why/why not?
Fragola

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. Do you like to see more articles that delve into the psychology of specific characters?
DEFINITIELY! The psychology of the many different characters and the reasons behind their actions are such a complex and interesting part of the Suikoden world that it'd be a shame and almost a crime to not delve into it. I'm also very happy to see that an article was done on a character that is probably not considered one of the most "interesting" or "popular" ones.

I especially liked the way it was written and presented, and I really loved the little battle map, which was extremely funny (and accurate!).

It really opened my eyes and my mind quite a bit more where Makai is concerned. Ever since I played the game Makai had always been one of the characters I disliked most because of the way he went around and betrayed the Kobolds and also kind of led the hero on about an alliance, but after reading this article it makes me give him the benefit of the doubt.
Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Of course. Some things Konami won't release to us, one being how the characters think. Blue, you seem to be quite good at it, being a joke, or being serious. Giving us those editorials to think about only expand possiblities in the Suikoden world. Connecting them with the real world is even better, because it helps us understand in a more practical way. This article in particular did that well. You showed how, to the normal person, Makai was just trying to by time, and it worked. You then showed that maybe he knew what would follow through. As the "leader" of a city where there is disagreement, an internal rift WOULD help the cause. Not only did it prepare the Kobolds for an internal takeover, and then that turned around to help defense, it got the Winglies to realize that they shouldn't think less of anyone because they can do certain things. In the end they added their strengths and were able to fend Two River. Twas brilliant really.

I liked it a lot. Someone like Makai where you don't get a lot of information about, is intresting to read. Say you had done "The mind of Luca Blight". Not as interesting. We know he's a psycho, and such. Makai....a good 10 minutes of being in the immediate story. (As a character, not Two River itself)

It did, but not on an opposite of positive to negative. It gave him more respect and cunning as a leader. He used an inner quarrel to aid the city, and he made the city internally stable. Albiet....Riou did help him.
Excalibur1027

The Dark Ones Own Luck

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
15000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Of course! Finding out more about the characters is great since IMO they're one of the best things about suikoden. And this is especially true for characters who don't get allot of screen time in the games like Makai.

Overall I really loved the way you presented it. The slide show of the map and layout of the area (very accurate too!) made it allot easier to understand what was happening everywhere with all the characters. (Plus little jokes were hilarious! :lol:)

It sure did. Makai is one of too many characters that gets forgotten as the plot goes on. It was nice to hear more of him and how complex everything was behind the scenes.

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This aritcle was interesting in the least. But i thought it'd have done batter as a speculation because Makai's real personality is not exactly confirmed to be like that. Its more of your perception after having dwelled upon your observation.

Still, frankly, i enjoy anything relating to Suikoden... It was an interesting idea nontheless
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes and no. Yes if it's done properly, meaning that it has more hard evidence than the assumptions that connected the events with the character themselves. No if it's exactly like what being done in the Makai's editorial.

What I like is that it was something that wasn't common at all and I wouldn't have thought about anything like that. So it's fresh. But what I dislike is that it was pretty much an assumption that in the end wasn't really strong enough to make the readers believe that it could really happened that way.

Nope. The reason is that it didn't really have any solid proofs at all that those actions were really done intentionally.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The idea of articles delving into individual characters is very cool. It gives you an oppurtunity to see what makes each person tick. I like how the article explains the job in more detail and what Makai's methods to acheiving peace are. I thought of Makai as a spineless worm before the article and my perception hasn't changed much since reading it.

Snowe's Legion

10109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

May I first say, that slideshow rocks!!

No, but I'm going to keep reading them to torture myself.

Just joking.
Just keep thinking up this off-the-wall stuff, and I'll happily read it.

It was pretty darn entertaining, even if not very believable.
Makai reminds me of Mr. Magoo.
You would have a easier time of theorizing that Makai was the owner of the True Luck Rune.

Absolutely! Before I just thought Makai was annoying, now after your enlightenments I know they put him in the story for comic relief.

Oh I'm sorry... was this meant to be taken seriously.

P.S. I really did like it.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm....yes, yes i would. I have to admit, i was nearly convinced that it was pure strategy from Makai instead of pure luck.

Well, first of all, i liked, NO, LOVED, the slideshow! Kudos for the slideshow! There wasn't anything i didn't like about the article.

Well, no. It didn't change my perception of Makai. I still see him as an incompetent. I figure that the article was mostly for humour.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mad Mage

0 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That was a great read! I'd love to see more articles along the same lines. The slide show was amusing too.

Imo you give Makai far too much credit, but it's always fun to see things from a different, more creative, point of view. I love reading these articles because I always learn something new. One thing though, I didn't think Makai actually made the agreement with Highland to give over control of the kobold sect. I thought that was a rumor started by Kiba to inject distrust among the kobolds. Could someone clarify this for me?
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Definatelly. Asides from the amusement factor it tells the story from another point of view, which is always good to have. Plus the slidshow was just amazing, I don't know how you come up with that stuff.

Liked - Slideshow, Slideshow, Slideshow and the Slideshow.....o and I forgot the Slideshow!!! :mrgreen:

Not really as I still don't think he did all of that on purpose. I think Fitcher was the one who organised Shu to come in the first place (I think he says he sent a letter). I think it could possibly do with future candidates just not Makai.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: