Suikoden Uncouth and Illegal Kibbutz Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The NFL season and post-season thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: The NFL season and post-season thread Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As of Week 14 in the NFL, 5 teams have clinched their division, 3 AFC and 2 NFC. This is what the seeding would look like if the playoffs started tomorrow:

* = already clinched division

AFC

Division Leaders
1- Pittsburgh Steelers* (12-1)
2- New England Patriots* (12-1)
3- Indianapolis Colts* (10-3)
4- San Diego Chargers (10-3)

Wild Cards
5- Baltimore Ravens (8-5)
6- Denver Broncos (8-5)

NFC

Division Leaders
1- Philadelphia Eagles* (12-1)
2- Atlanta Falcons* (10-3)
3- Green Bay Packers (8-5)
4- Seattle Seahawks (7-6)

Wild Cards
5- Minnesota Vikings (7-6)
6- Carolina Panthers (6-7)

The top 2 teams in each division get the bye week, the #1 seed gets homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. That means the first week of playoffs (Wild Card) would have these matchups:

AFC
Broncos at Colts
Ravens at Chargers

NFC
Panthers at Packers
Vikings at Seahawks

Feel free to post any thoughts about the NFL or the playoffs here. Also if you have any predictions about upcoming games (including Super Bowl picks) share them here.

I'll be updating the playoff picture on a weekly basis.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know they should have a worst teem championship or something. The 49ners have just gone down the pipe in the last few years. I remember them when they were in their glory days, ahh. Well this year I think they won all of two games. I think it would just be funny if we took the worst players from each division and stuck them in two teams to go head to head. They would be sort of like the all-star team but instead it would be the totaly opposite. However, it would suck to be nominated for these teams. Not like all-star teams where it's a honor to be nominated. Well just a thought anyway.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, and whoever loses the game wins the prize, instead of the winner. And the losing team is forced to sit out the following season, and the top ranked college team will become the new NFL franchise (USC would womp the 49ers, I think). :D

Synchysi

Creatures Once Godlike

11782640 Potch
18161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nah, even the best college team wouldn't stand a chance against a professional team. Keep in mind, the best college team might have five or six NFL-quality players on it, while even the worse NFL team has at least 30 NFL-quality players. The 49ers would smash USC.

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Only one way to find out, Synchysi, only one way to find out... ;)

Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If the loosing team gets the prize do you think that both teams would intentionaly try to loose? We would have to have a system to prevent such atempts to try and miss catches and running the wrong direction with the ball. I for one would get a good laugh out of it though if I saw such things.
Blaze Silven

Gutbuster Brigade

132168 Potch
294 Soldiers
17500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, god! The Rams aren't even on there! wait a minute...why am I so surpised? The Rams just got creamed last night. Man! that was embarassing.
or until I die
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wheeee...

I'm a Chargers fan, so you can imagine that this season has been a pleasant surprise for me. Of course, they'll be crushed before they ever make it to the Super Bowl, so it's a good thing I'm also a Patriots fan!
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only way the Rams can get in is by winning out and hoping the Panthers lose one more game. They are the 7th seed, I believe (which is meaningless, but if the Vikings keep sliding or the Panthers stumble the Rams could still make it in).

Any predictions for the SB?

I got Eagles-Colts

Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yay! I love sports threads.

They way things are looking this year, it would not be surprising to see a below 500 team in the playoffs for the NFC. Here are how I think things are going to finish out.

*Already clinched Division
NFC Playoff teams
NFC North - Green Bay
NFC South - Atlanta Falcons*
NFC East - Eagles*
NFC West- Seattle

Wild Cards: Carolina Panthers and the Dallas Cowboys

AFC Playoff teams
AFC North - Pittsburgh Steelers*
AFC South - Indianapolis Colts *
AFC East- New England*
AFC West - San Diego

Wild Cards: New York Jets and Buffalo Bills

Now, the Bills and Cowboys may seem to be surprising picks for the wild card spots. However, pay close attention to Baltimore and Denver's schedule the rest of the way.

Teams that will falter in the AFC
Denver, Baltimore and Jacksonville

8-5 Baltimore -At Indy, At Pitt, and Miami
8-5 Denver - At Kansas City, At Tennessee and Indy
7-6 Buffalo- Cincy, San Franciso and At Pitt

I like the Bills chances.

Dallas on the other hand, I am not so sure about. Being a New York Jets fan, I have taken a liking to the Cowboys. I love Bill Parcell's mentality and wish he was still the Jets coach (Much better than Edwards). Although Dallas is 5-8, if they win out they have a great chance of winning the remaining wild card spot because Minnesota will falter, I can gurantee that much.

Teams that wil Falter in the NFC: St.Louis and Minnesota

Dallas Remaining schedule: At Philly, Washington and At NY Giants
If Testerverde starts, I can see them upsetting Philly and strolling into the playoffs over Washington and the Gints. Course, I also had them strolling over New Orleans on Sunday.

Playoff time: AFC/ Based on my predictions

Bye's 1)Pitt and 2)New England
1st Round

4)Indy Colts vs 5(NY Jets Indy
Colts

3)San Diego Chargers vs 6)Buffalo Bills
Chargers

2nd Round
1)Pittsburgh Steelers vs 4)Indy
Indy

2)New England Patriots vs 3)Chargers
Chargers

AFC championship
4)Colts vs 3(Chargers
Colts

NFC
Bye
Eagles and Falcons
1st Round
3)Packers vs 6) Cowboys
Cowboys

4)Seahawks vs 5) Panthers
Panthers

2nd Round
1)Eagles vs 6)Cowboys
Eagles

2)Falcons vs 5)Carolina
Carolina

NFC Championship
1)Eagles vs 5)Carolina
Two straight years in the Super Bowl for Carolina. What can I say? They got hot at the right time.

Super Bowl:
Colts 38 Panthers 24
MVP:Brandon Stokley

I was very tempted to put the Colts over the Panthers, but to some of you looking at this, the playoffs may seem unrealistic. But, I gurantee their not. The three top dogs Pitt, New England and the Eagles are not as good as they seem. Pitt has looked horrible, New England has had several close calls and the Eagles will collapse as they do every year in the NFC championship. None of these three teams will make the Super Bowl.

A Team to watch out for:
San Diego Chargers - A team you do not want to face in the playoffs. After the Jets game, something must have lit a fire in Drew Brees because he obviously did not like being benched by Doug Flutie. I wonder what they will do with Phillip Rivers now.
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just when the Lions were looking half decent, they go and blow the game! There's always next year is becoming way too common in Michigan.

Last edited by Sparhawk on Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Nah, even the best college team wouldn't stand a chance against a professional team. Keep in mind, the best college team might have five or six NFL-quality players on it, while even the worse NFL team has at least 30 NFL-quality players. The 49ers would smash USC.

I agree. The best college team may have five or six NFL quality players on the team, but they are nowhere near the level of any starting or back up NFL player. College players do not go through the same conditioning or training as NFL players and would get crushed every single time by any NFL team. Although high profile colleges have much talent, many NFL players come from the smaller schools anyway. Dedication and teamwork is just as important as talent, and many college players from high profile colleges do not understand those concepts.

Assuming that USC or Oklahoma players recieved NFL training or conditioning, they still would not win any games against any NFL opponent because the talent, teamwork, and dedication is still to thin to compete with them.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Samurai, you actually think the two best teams in the entire AFC are going to choke? I mean, I could maybe see Colts pulling off an upset over the Steelers, but there's no chance the Chargers' defense is gonna be able to contain New England's pass.

And Brees' response to comments about his incredible comeback this season was "I knew my job was in danger, so I needed to focus on what I could control". He apparently did some absurd offseason training.

The thing I'm worried about is what's gonna happen at the end of this year? Brees' contract expires, and Philip Rivers was to succeed him-- but that was before Brees stopped sucking. LaDanian Tomlinson, a team leader, backed Brees last week, which makes this interesting. Should the Chargers choose the untested Rivers, or should they stick with Brees and let Rivers walk away with his large signing bonus?

Last edited by Leb on Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Locke

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But, the Lions actually now have a resembelance of a team going in the right direction. The NFC is pathetic when the 4-9 Cardinals and the 4-9 Bears are still mathematically still alive going into week 15. I mean come on, there are 3 games left and teams with that bad of a record still techincally have a chance.

I'm just waiting for the Eagles to choke like they do every year. They got lucky against Green Bay last post season. It wouldn't suprise me to see Michael Vick lead the Falcons into the Super Bowl. Though I doubt it matters. Either the Pats or the Steelers are gonna represent the AFC and if either of those two teams make it, barring a total collapse they should win the whole thing.

Though the off season is going to be intersting. What will Edge do? Will Favre retire? Where will Drew Brees play for next year? Will anyone want to sign with the Dolphins or the 49ers? Who will be the number 1 pick? Will it be Mike Willams? Probably won't be Linehart, he says he's staying at USC. And will anyone take a chance on Maurice Clarrett?

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know what the one team that I have truly enjoyed watching this year has been the Colts. I am not the biggest American football fan but one of the things that i have always enjoyed the most has been the more offensive teams and I have been mesmerized by their offence. It is a sight to see but for the life of I can never bring myself to remember their quarter backs name and he's the biggest part of said offence. Regardless of that fact I am also partial to the Cowboys and their cheerleaders :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: