Suikoden Urgent and Illegal Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

DS or PSP?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1124503 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not really into handheld systems anymore, though I had a Gameboy over ten years ago, until it was ripped off. Given the choice, though, chances are I would get the PSP.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dunno, I'd probably go for the ds for the backwards compat with the gba, but the psp might have better games.....i dunno, i'd have to look at the games coming out before i'd buy one....maybe both? :D
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've got the DS, and I'm getting the PSP for the next holidays. ^^ They both look neat, if I had to choose the one I'm more interested in, deffinetly PSP. After playing the DS I've found a few things that irk me. After playing it for an extended period of time my hands get cramped, possibly due to the design of the machine... it's kinda squarey... And the lack of an analog is making controlling 3D games(Mario 64 is the only one I've played yet) annoying. But there's a bunch of neat games comming out, and they look to have neat uses of the touch screen, so it's enough to buy I'd say.

PSP has some awesome games, aswell as a really sexy design. :D A Huge screen, an analog to help control 3D better... and I've heard the design is made so you can play extended periods of time, without your hands cramping up. And recently, I've heard that battery life for games is approx. 7 hours. That's longer then I'm going to play it in any car ride, I know that for sure, I don't see why people are complaining.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dakota

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does anyone know the release date for Animal Crossing DS & Super Mario 64 DS.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Super Mario 64 DS is already out, and I believe that Animal Crossing DS comes out early 2005.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Esra

Guardians of Ilam

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For the hand cramping, they'll probably make some kind of extra grip attachment like how they did with the GBAsp.

I know from personal experience because of the size difference between the GBAsp and my hands lead to the cramping problem (The grips help immensly).
Lucied

1846 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, I look at the DS graphics, and say it's somewhere between N64 and Dreamcast. While PSP has graphics between DC and PS2.

Now, graphics aren't anything. I understand that. But Nintendo has made it clear that they don't care about graphics anymore, and they're going for new gameplay routes. Which, looking at DS, makes me worry about Revolution.

I'm not sold on the touch screen. Looks like a cheap gimmick to me. I don't see any serious gameplay implications of it. And the games using it are silly. I still can't believe they're making a full game out of that tech demo of drawing Pac-Man. And not even all games are using the touch screen. In a lot of cases, it's just used as a map.
It's big, bulky, and has two large, gimicky, backlit screens. Not to mention that it's still cartridge based.

PSP on the other hand, is sleek, stylish, and something you'd be proud to whip out on the plane or bus, and not look like a goof. Has a huge and beautiful screen, and is disk powered. Meaning CD quality music, and DVD quality video. Not to mention that it's more powerful than DS, and has a good amount of developer support. Plus, it's Sony :)

Nothing against Nintendo, but they are seriously losing their grip. I've owned every Nintendo machine since NES, except Virtual Boy and Game Boy Pocket. But I don't even want a DS, and the prospect of what could be Revolution scares me. The nostalgic Nintendo lover in me may be silenced after this generation of consoles is over. It certainly is for the handheld market.
Queen

Ghosts of Gor

2000 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The dual screen on the DS is annoying. I played Metroid on it while shopping at Target one day.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ds or psp?

Bottom line which ever system ports/upgrades/remakes suikoden 1 and 2

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lucied wrote:

Which, looking at DS, makes me worry about Revolution.

Actually, a lot of rumors are pointing towards a console that, graphically, holds its own against something like the XBox Next. Of course, this should be taken with a grain of salt.

Quote:
I'm not sold on the touch screen. Looks like a cheap gimmick to me. I don't see any serious gameplay implications of it.

Well, it hasn't even been out for a month-- give it some time. EA is promising that Madden 2006 will give gamers the ability to draw out their own plays, Square Enix's Egg Monster Hero is utilizing a custom character system (draw a monster with large arms, and it'll be more strength-oriented). Many RPG developers are saying the touch screen will be perfect for menu navigation, requiring no button use or pausing (think Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles), and Metriod Prime: Hunters' thumbstrap navigation is really quite enjoyable. The one problem I have is the complete uselessness of the stylus. The thumb strap is ultimately the way to go.

Quote:
And the games using it are silly. I still can't believe they're making a full game out of that tech demo of drawing Pac-Man.

Most press guys are saying Pac-Pix is what convinced them that the DS was a good thing.

Quote:
And not even all games are using the touch screen. In a lot of cases, it's just used as a map.

Which, really, is perfect for games with big stages, like FPSs and games like Dynasty Warriors.

Quote:
It's big, bulky, and has two large, gimicky, backlit screens. Not to mention that it's still cartridge based.
Bulky? The thing is hardly thicker than the PSP (maybe a quarter of an inch), weighs less, and is not as wide. It also doesn't cause the goddamn hand cramps the SP does. And why are large, backlit screens gimmicky? You also put the PSP's large screen as a positive. wtfbbq?

Quote:
PSP on the other hand, is sleek, stylish, and something you'd be proud to whip out on the plane or bus, and not look like a goof. Has a huge and beautiful screen...
Can't argue with that. Its sheer sexiness is the only reason I'm considering one.

Quote:
...and is disk powered. Meaning CD quality music, and DVD quality video.
Disc-powered means spinning stuff, which in turn means less durability, and less battery life. DVD quality video will only get 120 minutes, which means I'll never see some of my favorite movies on it (unless I watch it in VCD format, but screw that). As for music, Sony just better be happy they decided against making the PSP exclusively ATRAC.

Quote:
...and has a good amount of developer support.

Actually, when comparing company support pledges, Nintendo has more around. Sony also lacks more support from some of the bigger and/or well-known companies (Square-Enix, Konami, Namco, Tecmo's Team Ninja).

Quote:
Plus, it's Sony :)

Which means what? The hardware will self-destruct the day after the warranty expires?
Lucied

1846 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok, let's start from the top...

Lebenengel wrote:
Lucied wrote:

Which, looking at DS, makes me worry about Revolution.

Actually, a lot of rumors are pointing towards a console that, graphically, holds its own against something like the XBox Next. Of course, this should be taken with a grain of salt.

Nintendo is working with IBM and ATI for the chips. So there is hope that it will have great graphics. I don't doubt that. I just fear that Nintendo won't have the companies put as much emphasis on graphics that Sony/NVidia and Microsoft/ATI will do. Nintendo has been quoted saying that the graphics have gone as far as they can in this current generation, and instead of focusing on that, they're going to focus on new gameplay gimmicks.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sold on the touch screen. Looks like a cheap gimmick to me. I don't see any serious gameplay implications of it.

Well, it hasn't even been out for a month-- give it some time. EA is promising that Madden 2006 will give gamers the ability to draw out their own plays, Square Enix's Egg Monster Hero is utilizing a custom character system (draw a monster with large arms, and it'll be more strength-oriented). Many RPG developers are saying the touch screen will be perfect for menu navigation, requiring no button use or pausing (think Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles), and Metriod Prime: Hunter's thunmbstrap navigation is really quite enjoyable. The one problem I have is the complete uselessness of the stylus. The thumb strap is ultimately the way to go.

I know it's not out a month yet. But I've followed the system and the games since E3. And I haven't seen much that really shows me it's a solid enhancement.
So you can navigate RPG menus without button presses. It's a nifty feature, but I don't think it really affects gameplay.
Drawing your own plays in Madden would be awesome. But you can already do that in the console versions in the Create A Play mode. Or, I've at least seen a Create A Play mode in a console football game. I swear it was Madden.
And beyond drawing games, where you actually draw stuff, and maybe Wario Ware, I don't see much actual gameplay innovation. There is that one Sega game, where you only use the touch screen. But that sounds like it's a short game, and is only a group of mini-games without any real core to tie it together.

Quote:
Quote:
And the games using it are silly. I still can't believe they're making a full game out of that tech demo of drawing Pac-Man.

Most press guys are saying Pac-Pix is what convinced them that the DS was a good thing.

The only thing that interested me about Pac-Pix is my wondering what would happen if I drew a Pac-Man with two mouths on each side of his face. Whether or not the game would crash, or only use one mouth, and which direction it would go.

Quote:
Quote:
And not even all games are using the touch screen. In a lot of cases, it's just used as a map.

Which, really, is perfect for games with big stages, like FPSs and games like Dynasty Warriors.

Yes, maps can be useful. But when they're in action games like Metroid and Dynasty Warriors, you can't really take your eyes off of the action to look at another screen for the map.

Quote:
Quote:
Bulky? The thing is hardly thicker than the PSP (maybe a quarter of an inch), weighs less, and is not as wide. It also doesn't cause the goddamn hand cramps the SP does. And why are large, backlit screens gimmicky? You also put the PSP's large screen as a positive. wtfbbq?

PSP has one large and beautiful screen. DS has two screens. And I meant "big" and "bulky" when it's flipped open. It's large when opened up. Looks like two regular GBAs stacked on one another.
I never had an SP, so I don't know about hand cramps. But I just don't think it looks all that great. The PSP, only having one screen, doesn't need the flip up part. And I'm not big into flip up screens.

Quote:
Quote:
...and is disk powered. Meaning CD quality music, and DVD quality video.
Disc-powered means spinning stuff, which in turn means less durability, and less battery life. DVD quality video will only get 120 minutes, which means I'll never see some of my favorite movies on it (unless I watch it in VCD format, but screw that). As for music, Sony just better be happy they decided against making the PSP exclusively ATRAC.

It may be less durable. But it's not meant to be a kids toy, exactly. It's meant to be another gadget. And things like iPods and stuff have moving parts (the hard drives). It's all in how it's implimented.
The battery life seems to be set. And they've played with the idea of releasing larger capacity batteries for longer play. And I thought they upped the UMD Video playback to four hours of battery life.
And I never heard of aTrack before the PSP announcements. But, I agree that it's good they added MP3. Now they need AAC.

Quote:
Quote:
...and has a good amount of developer support.

Actually, when comparing company support pledges, Nintendo has more around. Sony also lacks more support from some of the bigger and/or well-known companies (Square-Enix, Konami, Namco, Tecmo's Team Ninja).

Konami and Namco are making PSP games. Square is releasing Advent Children in UMD format. So I'd say that those companies are supporting PSP well enough. Team Ninja, well, no comment on them, other than they keep flocking to the powerful system instead of the one where they can make big money.

Quote:
Quote:
Plus, it's Sony :)

Which means what? The hardware will self-destruct the day after the warranty expires?

Haha :P

Yes, Sony PlayStation products have a history of being faulty at launch. But they get better after time. I've had this PS2 for two or three years now, without any trouble.
But I say "it's Sony" because Sony has dominated the market since 1995, even when they have had the least powerful system in the console war. Now in this gen, with PSP and PS3, they will be having the most powerful systems. Let's just see how dominate they can be now :)
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lucied wrote:

Nintendo has been quoted saying that the graphics have gone as far as they can in this current generation, and instead of focusing on that, they're going to focus on new gameplay gimmicks.

Most industry veterans have said that they feel that graphics have gone as far as they have wanted. Miyamoto, Kojima, and Naka are a few examples.

Quote:
It's a nifty feature, but I don't think it really affects gameplay.

Well, no one's really said it's going to change handheld gaming as we know it. All I'm saying is that writing it off as a gimmick is jumping the gun a bit.

Quote:
And beyond drawing games, where you actually draw stuff, and maybe Wario Ware, I don't see much actual gameplay innovation. There is that one Sega game, where you only use the touch screen. But that sounds like it's a short game, and is only a group of mini-games without any real core to tie it together.

Feel the Magic. They've said that it's Warioware, except in the place of a fat, hairy, middle-aged Italian you get an infatuated Japanese teen.

Quote:
The only thing that interested me about Pac-Pix is my wondering what would happen if I drew a Pac-Man with two mouths on each side of his face. Whether or not the game would crash, or only use one mouth, and which direction it would go.

The game can't be incredibly picky, so I'm sure that once you get to the backside, he's already turned.

[quote]Yes, maps can be useful. But when they're in action games like Metroid and Dynasty Warriors, you can't really take your eyes off of the action to look at another screen for the map.[/quot]
No, but the main appeal of those games are the multiplayer. Most games don't even give you the option of pausing (in order to prevent everyone from waiting).

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
PSP has one large and beautiful screen. DS has two screens. And I meant "big" and "bulky" when it's flipped open. It's large when opened up. Looks like two regular GBAs stacked on one another.
I never had an SP, so I don't know about hand cramps. But I just don't think it looks all that great. The PSP, only having one screen, doesn't need the flip up part. And I'm not big into flip up screens.

The DS has two fairly large, fairly beautiful screens. Obviously, the handheld with more power needs to have a screen with higher resolution, so you're just getting other junk.

And flip handhelds are nice for their protection of the screen right out of the box. I know my PSP would get scratches pretty easily.

Quote:
It may be less durable. But it's not meant to be a kids toy, exactly. It's meant to be another gadget.

People still have accidents. Handheld gaming's target audience is children, so they're sort of alienating themselves by throwing out a very delicate piece of hardware that supposed to be for on-the-go.

You're just looking at the bad parts of the DS, and pretty much ignoring what's negative about the PSP.

Quote:
The battery life seems to be set. And they've played with the idea of releasing larger capacity batteries for longer play.

Yes, but wearing a battery on your wrists negates the "cool" factor of the thing.

Quote:
And I thought they upped the UMD Video playback to four hours of battery life.

That's CD-quality video.

Quote:
And I never heard of aTrack before the PSP announcements. But, I agree that it's good they added MP3. Now they need AAC.

Yeah, Sony's trying to get people to use their stupid format, so they originally planned to have it as an ATRAC player.

Quote:
Konami and Namco are making PSP games. Square is releasing Advent Children in UMD format.

I said companies that aren't supporting it as much. Square Enix has three or four games for the DS in development, and only one on the PSP. Namco's got a dozen or so on the DS (including Xenosaga DS and Baten Kaitos DS), while only three or some such on the PSP.

Quote:
So I'd say that those companies are supporting PSP well enough. Team Ninja, well, no comment on them, other than they keep flocking to the powerful system instead of the one where they can make big money.

Ironically, Itagaki has said he's very excited to make games for the DS.

Quote:

Yes, Sony PlayStation products have a history of being faulty at launch. But they get better after time. I've had this PS2 for two or three years now, without any trouble.

Yeah, I've had this PS2 for almost two years... of course, this is my fourth one! :P

Quote:
But I say "it's Sony" because Sony has dominated the market since 1995, even when they have had the least powerful system in the console war. Now in this gen, with PSP and PS3, they will be having the most powerful systems. Let's just see how dominate they can be now :)

Yes, but Nintendo has dominated the handheld market for 15 years (1989, for those playing the home game). They have the clout, the know-how, and the smarts to not take Sony lightly.
Lucied

1846 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm. Let me try this without quotes :?

Yes, some more well known people have said the graphics have gotten as far as they want. But I recall Nintendo sounding like they thought graphics couldn't get any better than what they are. That they've reached a peak, of sorts. And I really don't think that's possible just yet.

I call the touch screen a gimmick because, well, I personally am not very easily swayed by new concepts. I'm still not sold on voice chatting or voice recognition in videogames. And I'm still starting to get used to online gaming (without the voice chat). So to see this touch screen, I'm not convinced it's that big of a deal just yet.

Yeah, Feel The Magic. But I've heard that only has 25 mini-games, some of which are too similar to others, while Wario Ware has like, 100+ games.

As for Pac-Pix, I still don't know how the game would work. I do know you have to draw the whole Pac before he goes off. Meaning you have to connect your lines. So I think it might be easy enough to try to draw two mouths.
But another problem with that is that people can draw obscene Pacs. And we all know how paranoid Nintendo is about anything related to porn being anywhere near their games. (Yes, Pac-Pix is by Namco, but still...)

You can generally pause in multiplayer games, but when it's online and stuff, you are vulnerable. And will die. I would think DS would be the same.

Gamespot said that the plastic covering the PSP screen doesn't end at the screen. The same plastic covers the entire system. It's just transparent over the screen, and black everywhere else. From the sounds of it, the cover would be quite resistent. Though I haven't read about any actual tests regarding that. Then again, if it's just one solid cover, I wouldn't think it'd be too difficult to swap covers, or get an extra third party cover. Also, it was said a while back that Sony was using an extremely scratch resistent coating that was used on other Sony gadgets. Gamespot said they had to gouge the screen of one of the products with a knife before it would show any signs of damage. If Sony used that on the PSP, then I'm sure it wouldn't get too beat up.

As for age groups, well, I think Sony sees the rise in gadget use in adults. The NGage, while unpopular, is one example of adults getting into handheld gaming. I personally think that Sony will be successful at grabbing this new market. Handhelds are thought of as being for kids because Nintendo, a kids company, has been dominating the market for 15 years. The only handhelds out there have been marketed toward kids. Just the same way the console market was when the PS1 came out. Sony helped change the perception of game consoles, and I think they will do it for handhelds.

I know of what negatives there are about the PSP. But the more I read about it, the more those concerns are put to rest. With DS, though, I'm just not sold on the product. I don't like certain things about it, and I'm just not convinced of the concept. That, and I personally think that the PSP will have much better games.

Oh, and I'm only on my second PS2 :) My first one I got at launch.

And I kind of find it interesting you think Nintendo won't take Sony lightly. They know that now, I'm sure. I don't know how seriously they took Sony when the PS1 was announced. I find it amusing and ironic that it was Nintendo that brought Sony into the industry to begin with. And now they're struggling to survive and compete against the newfound giant of gaming. The "Big N" is losing their grip, and it's to Sony, the company they brought in. Oh the irony. At least they didn't give Sony the rights to Mairo and Link, like they did for Philips-Magnavox (remember the CD-I?).
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I'm not sold on the PSP. It seems the battery life problem might be even worse than speculated. With Sony telling that it is up to the programmers to optimize battery performance, what it actually means is that they would have to make the screen as dim as possible, fit the whole game in the PSP's 32 MB memory to prevent disc spinning and lower the music volume. Games like Metal Gear Acid and Gran Turismo are going to use up the battery pretty quick.

Sony seems to be playing the PSP as an opening card: they're supplying only 200,000 units to the Japanese launch, and generally taking it slowly. It seems that they know they won't have a chance against Nintendo this time, unlike with PSX when Nintendo was taking their time with the N64. So they want to get a foot between the door and play it from there, setting up for their full scale battle against Nintendo in the next handheld generation, beyond the DS and the PSP.
ZeroX1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To be honest, from what I have heard about the PSP, it will not be able to play PS and PS2 games (although I could be wrong). However the DS has it's bad points as well. The DS games are no bigger than my thumbnail, however even though it can play GBA games and transmit to other DS systems it really isn't all it's chocked up to be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: