Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

continuity is one of suikodens selling points.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you continue to play future suikoden games if it lost it's continuity?
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
maybe
50%
 50%  [ 16 ]
no
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 32

Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: continuity is one of suikodens selling points. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But if it started to lose said continuity would you continue to play them?
If it lost its continuity, I for one would not play them unless I hear some excellent things about it first and it would be like just about every other reccuring RPG name, I've also noticed suikoden does a good job of creating individual stories for most iterations, so if someone was to pick up say "Suikoden II" they would be able to play it without having played "Suikoden".

I'd say suikoden also has a very rich storyine and since each normal chapter must contain 108 characters, it leaves for alot of backstory, and reccuring legacies. but say it lost all that; I would not garantee myself that game. you?
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You mean if it went all Final Fantasy and had a new world everytime? Yeah, I probably wouldn't bother or at least not with the same enthusiasm or speed.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, one of the things that distinguishes Suikoden from many other RPGs is it's continuity. I definitely wouldn't like if Konami prohibited that.

I don't think I need to worry, though.

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For me it is not so much the continuity but the unique aspects that keep me coimng back. I think if they created a totally different world but kept the same unique ideas than I would still put it at the top of my list.

The Cunningham Cavalry

-2334 Potch
600 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If it lost it's continuity i wouldn't play it.
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Continuity isn't a selling point. Those that care about continuity already will buy the game. The selling point is usally the amount of characters and deep story of the game thier selling.

Edit: Crap! Should have read more than the topic title!

I've seen this type of topic made before, and most said no.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Lord Rengo

The Magus' Army

33445 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If they decided that it would be set in a new world and such, then I would not play it. Actually, I doubt Konami would even name it Suikoden if they did that because all the other Suikoden's are set in the same world. If they suddenly changed that, the series would probably die out. If they wanted to make an RPG in a different world, they'd probably change the name. I don't think anyone's stupid enough to ruin a series like that. If they want a new world, they'll call it something else. At least, that's what I hope.
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A Suikoden game in an entirely different world wouldn't really be Suikoden, and I can't imagine they'd carry the title over to it. As far as game to game continuity goes though, Suikoden 4 had next to no bearing whatsoever on the rest of the series. I liked it least of the five main games for this reason, but I still enjoyed it. So on that note, if Suikoden completely ceased to have any continuity I would stop playing it, however if a Suikoden game took place hundreds of years in the future or past, thus lacking most continuity, but still managed to maintain a few staple series claims, like Viki and place names for example, I'd play it.
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One of the things I love about suikoden is that with each installment we learn a little bit more about the world and history. I loved seeing how some event here led to this which led to this and that. seeing returning characters, revisiting towns from previous games, or visiting areas mentioned in others that now are the focus of the game. I like that.

I wouldn't be so enthusiastic about one which ignores all this and creates a new world where the lands we've explored do not exist. But I'd still probably play it and judge it based on the game itself. it would still deserve a chance to be played... but yeah, I would't be happy about it.

for that reason, my answer is maybe
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would vote for a "maybe" here...
because if it lost it's continuity, other great games that are made in the future would beat the Suikoden series...
but still, sometimes i wanna play my old games and stuff like that :)
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

With the way the first game ended, I sorta wished it WAS a new world each time. There would have been no need to have Viktor and Flik alive, which would then have made it the most dramatic ending to anything that ever happened ever. But then if they used the same formula like they are doing now as well, it would get old quickly.

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, because it's from Konami.

On a more un-biased view, No. Part of Suikoden's main attractions is that it has continuity and links. Sure, Final Fantasy may have had common terms such as Ifrit, Cid, Airships and Moogles, but how do we even know that they're all linked? Suikoden, on the other hand - we know for a fact that the Viktor and Flik from I are the same Viktor and Flik in 2. Another point would be the geographical placement. How far is Spira from the other worlds? Nobody knows. Unlike that, Suikoden gives us place continuity. Take for example, Suikoden II's return to Gregminster. If they took out continuity, I may not play it anymore. Even with all the characters, even if they all have 108 Stars of Destiny and Leknaat, I still ain't.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

See for me there is no continuity. I usually buy and beat it right away, and the I stop playing. If I start again I forget why half the people are around. So everytime I play a new Suikoden it's like a totally new game. It's more about good game play, and good story line. I do sometimes get lost when they discuss events from the other games, but I just move on.
Hyuga

Wanderer

2519 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know. I have loved Suikoden since I started playing the game but my love was mainly based on the continuity of the stories in each installment. If the continiuty of the story would be lost, I think I will still play Suikoden. Afterall, it's hard to forget something you have loved.
Gen

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden would turn into another Final Fantasy withouth its continuity. And in my opinion, Final Fantasy's suck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: