Suikoden Urgent and Informational Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Speeches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Speeches Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My topic of today is speeches. I'm not usually good a speeches, or talking infront of people. I'm very bad at doing extemporaneous speeches (that means an improptu or unprepared speech), though I'm okay at doing practised speeches. So tell me about yourself, do you like talking to people or being in the centre of attention, are you good at speeches, bad, have stage fright? (I guess this is turning into a topic more about your self then speeches, but what the hay.)

*I know this is completely usless, but so are some other topics on this board* :-P
Yumi

Mysics of the Forlorn

0 Potch
170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't enjoy speaking in front of a group, but I can handle it pretty well. I don't get particularly nervous or anything, so I can get through it without a hitch in most cases.
ubertronmanguy

The Hundred Acre Wood Soldier Guys

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't mind talking in front of people I actually enjoy it I guess it's more of an ego thing there's nothing like knowing that you have someone's undivided attention while you ramble on to help boost your ego even if you don't need it.
Edge Riou

Brotherhood of Strife; Fate

311768 Potch
11 Soldiers
724673 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am the best a speaking in public. I do not need those silly note cards or be prepared. I just wing it and say whatever I would like to say. I am known for being funny and I just always do what I want to. I am also popular and well known at my school and my neighborhood.

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess I'm alone with being shy in front of large groups of people....
Edge Riou

Brotherhood of Strife; Fate

311768 Potch
11 Soldiers
724673 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't worry about it Keriaku, I know plenty of people who are shy in front of people. It is actually quite common among many different people. Just don't make a big deal about it because it isn't one.

Here and There

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, Keriaku, you are definitely not alone

I HATE speeches

since English is not my first language, it makes matter worse. I have NO confident in speeches. ARG -_-

and BTW, Keriaku, isnt there a size limit to the avatar? Sonya looks really huge up there, the messages are pushed to the side...

Dead Soggy Old Dudes

137813 Potch
13000 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I prefer not to speak infront of large groups of people, as I have a stutter-like thing. It's not so much a stutter as a stall, I say things like "Welcome to ...*ten second pause* my speech." I don't know why I do it, but sometimes I just can't talk, I try and try but nothing comes out. Luckily it's been happening less and less often as of late.

But I do much better when winging it. If I have a speech planned out or am reading a script I stall an awful lot, but if I just make stuff up on the fly I can give a 20 minute speech without stalling once. I'm very charismatic and funny when I wing it, as well.

And your avatar is freaking huge, Keriaku. Shrink it, OR ELSE!!!
Synchysi

Creatures Once Godlike

11782640 Potch
18161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ditch the avatar altogether. Not all of us have super fast connections, and I'm quite sure the Suikosource admins wouldn't appreciate you reaping their bandwidth.

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I guess I'm alone with being shy in front of large groups of people....

I hate public speaking man. Doesn't mean I'm not good at it. Last presentation I had to do...Oh man. Twas so good. The key is to make the audience laugh. Have confidence with a joke you know will be funny (unexpected can be funny. Like doing a project on Freud, then calling him crazy, and then waiting for the laughter. It will come.)

I've hated speechs and such for as long as I can remember.
Quote:

since English is not my first language

I heard english isn't hard to pick up, and you had me fooled.
Gaara

Arrancars

5665 Potch
8300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a hard time speaking in public too. I was speaking on camera once giving a speech to my class as a student body president. When I later watched the video I noticed how obvious it was how much I was shaking...

Well obvious to say, I didn't get elected! :(
adrich

14500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I get really nervous when I have to give a presentation, which is weird because I make a fool of myself in front of relatively large groups of people daily. I guess there's something about having something prepared that causes problems for me.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I give speeches all the time as a part of my job, but once you get used to it, it is not a big deal. However, it's always difficult when you have to talk about a subject you are not familiar with. In such cases, I tend to practice the speech out loud, preferably at the location where I would actually give the speech so I can mentally get accustomed to the ambience.

When I was in college, I used to have a lot of trouble with speeches, although I always gave good speeches--only because I practiced like mad. I always made sure I don't need to rely on notes, because fumbling through notes doesn't look very good when you're talking. Also, I made sure I didn't stay in one place, and used lots of hand gestures--that way you don't get too tense and start to get shaky from nervousness. Also, saying a joke or two in the beginning tends to defuse the tension significantly, and make the rest of the speech very easy.

Even people who gave great speeches, such as Winston Churchill, was very afraid of speeches. He practiced in front of a mirror before every speech!
Rheo

Here and There

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Pyroflame wrote:

I heard english isn't hard to pick up, and you had me fooled.

If you are an English native speaker, try to pick up a completely different language, like Chinese or Korean etc, I am sure it will not be that easy for you to pick up.

I can speak very well with my friends, the problem is the speeches. When I am singled out and had to speak in front of a group of strangers that I know its grading me based on my speech, ARG. and the stress of English is not my first language, I have a very good chance to mispronounce something is not helping my speech.

I like the advice SARSadmin has given though, I will try it next time...

Arrancars

5665 Potch
8300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I speak over 5 different languages fluently. Although I agree it is not easy to pick up a new language but English is an easy language to pick up, unlike the Asian languages, it helps if you learn them as a kid, your memory serves you better.

By now you know too much and your brain can't handle more information unless it is interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: