Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I figure I oughtta make this before a half-assed thread or two pops up.

So, the farily high-profile spinoff in the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII series, Dirge of Cerberus, was released last week. I was able to borrow it from a friend for a time because he was pretty much disgusted with it. I had played the Japanese version for a little bit, which was atrocious, so I wanted to see if these new changes Square-Enix made would turn it into, you know, a playable game. The changes:

Running speed x1.2
Possible to attack in mid-air
Double-jump added to regular jump
Targetting camera tweaked
Limit Break now triggered by item instead of magic
New missions to replace Online Mode
Easy Mode removed, Extra Hard Mode added

Let's start with the basic story. Three years after the "Jenova War" and one year after the second failed attempt at Reunion, a militant group called Deepground appears and begins kidnapping people. Blah blah blah, Vincent Valentine's called in to help, he shoots stuff, the big baddies talk about how badass they are, they shoot stuff, and it eventually escalates into a war between Deepground and the World Regenesis Organization (led by Reeve and the rest of the Final Fantasy VII crew). The game's supposed to give some backstory to Vincent and Lucrecia's relationship and give more of a reason for Vincent's ability to turn into monsters than just "he was experimented on by Hojo". It's the same angsty stuff you saw in Advent Children-- just replace Cloud with Vincent and Aerith with Lucrecia.

Gameplay. Trying to be a third-/first-person shooter/action hybrid, the game fails to be good at any of them. Melee combat is clunky, and weapon customization and shooting is repetitive and boring. You fight the same enemies in the same city-like environments from stage to stage, and the AI's stupidity is as unchanging as the enemies themselves. The only real fun to be had are the stages that involve mounted machine guns and cooperation with WRO soldiers (who, unfortunately, are meant as fodder for most of the game).

On the audio/visual side, the game is fantastic. The graphics are some of the best seen on the PS2, and the CG is pretty much of the same quality in Advent Children. The only problem is that a lot of stages look "samey" all the way through to the boss. The three biggest offenders are the two natural evironment stages and the Train Graveyard in Midgar.

That's all I can think of at the moment. And if you're wondering about how much of a difference the changes made, think of it like a steaming pile of crap being turned into a dried up, hard piece of crap. You're not nearly as likely to gag immediately, but it's definitely something you need to dispose of.
Fudozukushi

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081375 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They should have just left FF VII alone. but noooo they just had to get greedy and create yet another "after" game/movie whatever. Even if it sucks, that still won't stop people from buying it though.
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How far did you get? Is the storyline even worth it?

I dunno why they chose Vincent... for the fans, I guess, but I was never overly fond of him. He was just there, pretty much. I was curious about the game, but turned off by the first person shooter crap. Seriously, wtf? WHY?

Thanks for the review (the thing about poop was certainly interesting); this game is definitely going to be skipped completely. I shan't rent you now! Muahaha!
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a lot of pets, so that kind of thing happens from time to time. Urp.

The story is interesting if you're really into Final Fantasy VII. If you felt Advent Children was more than eye candy, then chances are you'd be able to put up with all the gameplay problems just to watch the story unfold.
Camillus

6th Temple Guard Regiment "The Relentless"

68334 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ehh, so it is so bad, huh?
Althought I'm A Final Fantasy Fan(probably), i won't buy it either......well, at second though - there is such possibility but not before it turns platinum, if it does that is.

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a free rental coming, so I'll probably give this game a try. Vincent was my favorite character in Final Fantasy VII. So maybe that will help me enjoy it a tad more.

Though, with all these Final Fantasy VII spinoffs, why isn't even one of them another Role Playing game? You have a movie, a third person shooter, a cell phone game, and whatever else they have from Final Fantasy VII coming out.

Hopefully the add ons to Final Fantasy VI Advance will be worth it. Here's hoping.

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll buy it, for the story alone, but don't expect that to be any time soon (the game isn't out in PAL yet anyway), I'll probably get it when it goes down to a tenner as my British friends tend to say...

It looked like carp from the first gameplay picture, SquareEnix screw up mostly because they tried to tackle a genre they have no experience on, and that blew in their faces, at the very least everything else FFVII revival has some quality...
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Locke wrote:
Though, with all these Final Fantasy VII spinoffs, why isn't even one of them another Role Playing game? You have a movie, a third person shooter, a cell phone game, and whatever else they have from Final Fantasy VII coming out.

The one on phones, Before Crisis, is an RPG. Uses the ATB, I think.

And then Crisis Core is supposed to be an action-RPG.
runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I will definetly buy this game no matter what, I own the Japenese version which was a waste of time because I love a lot of RPG's for the story and I have to say that I can not play an RPG in japenese because it equals no story because I dont know japenese. On the good side this game carries on the story involving all the characters of FF7 which was my favorite Final Fantasy and it has vincent in it which is cool because I always wanted to know about the enigma, Vincent Valantine. I do not really mind if the gameplay and all is really rubish, as long as it is playable and I can understand the story then I love it.

Locke

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Of course Crisis Core is on the PSP. I don't own a PSP. O well yet again.

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't really know why they went for a shooter, those types of games are notoriously unpopular in Japan, even if it is a Final Fantasy game. I'd like to buy it for the story, but a part of me just says forget it and move on.

Leb wrote:
Locke wrote:

The one on phones, Before Crisis, is an RPG. Uses the ATB, I think.

And then Crisis Core is supposed to be an action-RPG.

Why the sudden VII-fest of games? Alot of these are going to spoil the Final Fantasy legacy.
runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They are making these games to fill in the long gap in between the end of Final Fantasy7 and the video we see at the end where *spoiler* Red 8 is running with to cubs to a cliff and look at the overgrown Midgar *Spoiler end* although that gap is a about 500 years they can make a few games leading to that time. Its all for the fans as it is a known fact that Final Fantasy 7 was the most bought and most loved Final Fantasy of all.

Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How is that a fact? Prove to me that Final Fantasy VII is the most loved Final Fantasy. And if you honestly think it's "all for the fans", well. I would really have no words to describe my disappointment.

Anyway, even fans should be just renting this game. The game is relatively short, and I don't think those missions in the Extra menu warrant a purchase.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

runemaster wrote:
Its all for the fans as it is a known fact that Final Fantasy 7 was the most bought and most loved Final Fantasy of all.

I think you're getting confused. It might be a fact that Final Fantasy 7 was the highest selling final fantasy, but it is only your opinion that it is the most loved. I'll agree it's quite popular, but to be honest, I'm not even sure how you could measure it's "beloved"-ness. I like the game ok, but it's not my favorite game or even my final fantasy (that's IX. *runs*).

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What's with IX anyway? Why is it such a love/hate game?

I'm not too interested in Dirge though, I'd probably play it because it likely reveals more of the story of the FFVII universe but the gameplay hardly excites me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: