Suikoden Unique and Informational Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Language controversity *spoiler*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agahnim

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't want to start a new thread, and I suppose it deals with language, so I'll just mention it here.

If theres one thing I don't like, its when people in alternative worlds (ie. the world of Suikoden) use phrases or figures of speech that are derived from folklore on Earth. I can't think of too many examples, but the most recent one I can recall is 'Davey Jones locker' being mentioned in Suikode V. Granted that whole segment was kind of tongue-in-cheek, but I still don't like it. Surely the Suikoden world would have its own figures of speech and metaphors etc. instead of taking them from Earth fairytales or folk lore. I know a lot of the things contained within the Suikoden world are from Earth (more specifically Earth stories, folklore etc.) techinically, but you know what I mean.

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."
Fudozukushi

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081738 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorta like how invading aliens and stuff always know the Sun by our name for it?
Judo

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

rakashu wrote:
I'd like to see some indian or arabic names, I find those cultures to be very interesting and normally have to do with great storys involving politics, death, backstabbing etc. All what a good suikoden game is all about? =D

I mean, we've had the Native American theme, the oceanic theme, the imperial theme, and the japanese theme.

Perhaps next time it will be a arabian theme of some sort?

Well, there are a couple of characters that look Arabic or have Arabic names in the games. Kasim, Murad, Mohsen are all Arabic names, there's also Shin who looks like an Arabian or an Indian, and there's Dinn who has an Arabic named weapon.

Also, the New Armes Kingdom seems to have an Arabian like culture, andwho knows, we might get a future Suiko set in that region =3

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Chiepoo wrote:
rakashu wrote:
I'd like to see some indian or arabic names, I find those cultures to be very interesting and normally have to do with great storys involving politics, death, backstabbing etc. All what a good suikoden game is all about? =D

I mean, we've had the Native American theme, the oceanic theme, the imperial theme, and the japanese theme.

Perhaps next time it will be a arabian theme of some sort?

Murad is a Arabic name i guess.

Yes, Murad is a very common Arabic Name. So are Mohsen and Wasil.
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

-Lazlo is in Spanish... (i think :roll: )
-Mizuki, Kate and Akaghi (Japanese)
-Nash Latkje is in....Spanish+Russian??
-Hortez VII is kinda....Arabic??
-and many more.... :*laugh*:
(this game is worldly!! :mrgreen: )
Champo Inactive

Nay-Kobold Merchants

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd say Hortez was Egyptian.

Is Wan Chinese or Japanese?
EggMan

Ordo Lusus

167874 Potch
250 Soldiers
180 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wan is chinese and Hortez is a spanish surname.

"I think we are blind. Blind people who can see, but do not see."
El Regrs

15501 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Flamo Bringer wrote:
-Lazlo is in Spanish... (i think :roll: )

According to this page, it's Slavic in origin.
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Hortez is a spanish surname.

That may be, but if you look at his full name,Nefentitiri Radames Ampenhetep Iruiktanas Antikoseus Puto Remaios Kureakias Dimetirios Farasmuseian Ishak Saraj Amenenuhet Tatomes Hatshepsut Toto Ank Amen Hortez, it's definitely Egyptian. The Hatshepsut and Ampenhetep really give it away.
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Right off of the top of my head, Silva is Latin for 'forest'. [Example: Pennsylvania = Penn's forest]

I would like to see more Italian / Latin names. I wish I was a little more awake to come up with a few more examples, however.

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, his whole name is Nefentitiri Radames mpenhetep Iruiktanas Antikoseus Puto Remaios Kureakias Dimetirios Farasmuseian Ishak Saraj Amenenuhet Atomes Hatshepsut Toto Ank Amen Hortez VII

Hortez is spanish and P-uto is a bad word in spanish(It's kind of weird this place has a spanish fliter >.> )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EggMan

Ordo Lusus

167874 Potch
250 Soldiers
180 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Right off of the top of my head, Silva is Latin for 'forest'.

Silva does mean woods, but it isn't an italian name. Its actually one of the most popular Portuguese surnames. I would like to see some more Iberian influences on the names. Portuguese and Spanish names have always been some of my favorites.
marlacon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just thought it was amusing that the voice actors didn't pronounce certain german words with a german sound. Like the Wilhelm merc brigade.
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sanchez and Sancho are Spanish names, aren't they?

I was told that the name Kasim means "sword" in Arabic. Alhazred is an Arabic name as well, but that character's name is more of a reference to the Lovecraft character of the same name.

The Zexen Knights themselves have Brittish names I suppose, since they're named after Knights of the Round Table. Or so I was told by two different people. I'm not familiar with the story of King Arthur. Except Borus (who should have been called Bors to stay accurate).

I remember a long time ago there was a drawn out discussion on how Luc and Sasarai might have related names. I'm not sure if they derive from the same language...I know that Luc is French, and I think someone said Sasarai was Russian-inspired?

As for Armes, they aren't Arabic; they're ancient Ottoman.

Silverberg sounds like a Jewish name.

As for French, I can think of Luce and Lyon. Luce meaning "light" and Lyon being a city in France. Or is Luce Italian? I forget...

Milich Oppenheimer is a German name I believe. Augustine Nabor sounds Spanish or Portugeuse. Simone Verdricci is French. What would Vincent de Boule be, French as well? It seems the narcs are well rounded in this regard.

Juli Latkje (sp!!!) is Slavic I think? I know her first name is pronounced more like "yuuli" (or so XenoSaga has led me to believe), and I don't even know how to say Latkje. SARS tried explaining it once, but I had a seizure.

Richard of S5 also had a German name, like Mueller and Wilhelm, but his name was changed to the English equivalent for some reason. I have no idea what the original German name is.

^Actual quote!
uwangski

Lilly's Loyal Guards

701224 Potch
200 Soldiers
32 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blue Thunder wrote:
Sanchez and Sancho are Spanish names, aren't they?

Yep, they are Spanish, by origin.

The first time I played Suikoden I, I was confused with both of them - I thought Sancho was the traitor, while Sanchez (who looks like Ric Flair) was the Squire of Maximillian.

Quote:
Augustine Nabor sounds Spanish or Portugeuse.

I think it's still French, as most Narcissists names are. Augustin or Agustin would be more fitting for a Spanish name.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: