Suikoden United and Inspirational Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Conquest.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wex Daarus

Wind Bringer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Conquest. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's something I've been throwing around in my head as an interesting Suikoden. It'd be nice to see some conquest in the name of good. Taking over new land that wasn't originally in the nations.

I think there could be some really nice possibilities there. Such as some side game that directs the construction and function of individual towns. I haven't thought of an excessive amount of details, but I think something it's about time to change up the basic structure at least slightly.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What would be an example of 'a conquest in the name of good'? Can't really think of a situation where infringing on another nations borders and destroying their functioning government, in a conflict you started, that would place you on the side of good.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
KratosJudgement

Hell Knights

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sounds like a pretty good idea and imagine the possiblities that would skyrocket the play time to 60+ hours probably double that creating your own towns conquering enemy territories and sending new supplies to the towns over in your country. I wouldn't mind it either I like long RPG's it gives me something to do.
runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That sounds like a really really fun idea and I would love to play suikoden like this but i have to ask, is that really Suikoden? I mean isn't that against Suikoden cliche?

Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm gonna have to throw in my support with John on this one. Unless you're talking about discovering an uninhabited island or something, and developing a town on it like in Breath of Fire II or a couple of the Dragon Quests?

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that it might be more of a Tactical game like Dynasty Warriors Empires. It's gonna be hard to give it too much of a Suikoden feel. As long as it's presented well and makes sense it should work. However, with what John said, it wouldn't be logical to just gain territory to conflicts you yourself started...

Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think that a conquest-based Suikoden is a bad idea on its own, but it would be a bad idea if it was a "Let's conquer land for our glorious nation!" kind of game. When I play a video game, I don't like to aid the aggressors in a war. However, I think that the idea of a game where you not only defend your own lands, but counterattack against the enemy at more than one place than their capital, is a good idea.

(spoilers for Suikoden V)Oh, wait a second. Suikoden V is just like that. It is a conquest game because you conquer Doraat, Stormfist, etc.(end spoilers)

Or do you mean conquering uninhabited land? (In that case, perhaps "settling" would be a better word than "conquering.") That's something else entirely, and I would like to see something like the Breath of Fire system of building towns. Maybe that could be how Konami introduces the western continent into the games, with colony-building.
Wex Daarus

Wind Bringer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I definately see how that could deviate too much from a Suikoden game. As I said it was just a small idea without many details. I'd just like it to feel like you're progressing to new places as opposed to just gaining support in whats there. The conquest of uninhibited lands is something I've also imagined, especially for the western continent.

I will agree though I wouldn't like the story to just be taking over people's land for the hell of it, but I'm sure Konami could pull off something.
KratosJudgement

Hell Knights

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah I see why it would go againest the Suikoden system your the good guy who liberates the people, you don't go off and kill and slaughter and conquer random lands it would mess up Suikoden.
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well the whole concept of 'good', is really just perspective I'd say.
I'd agree that settle works better than conquer for the whole 'good' concept, or perception of what goes with such.

I do wonder, as well, if that would change the suikoden feel a bit too much though. It's hard to say really, I'm not taking sides, but speculating the outcome none the less.
Perhaps this sort of thing would work better as a side game, like tactics or the gaidens, perhaps? Maybe as a side to a Suikoden which goes on about a newly flourishing area (West continent was a nice suggestion)

Nice call on Dynasty Warriors Empires, Vikifanatic, I was actually thinking of that myself! ^^

-My DeviantArt-
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that would be a very good idea if done right. Being good isn't always about being reactive, but proactive. If you see evil, it needs to be stamped out before it can do any harm. Say for instance that in Suikoden VI an opposing country is developing a super weapon with (insert True Rune here). I think that would be an interesting scenario: trying to assault the country and penetrate to its heart in order to stop development, while they try to stall for time until they can use the weapon(s). It would be a nice spin on the Suikoden formula. Quite frankly, I'm getting sick of having passive heroes who won't land a blow on somebody unless they're hit first.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In other words, a Suikoden nation would end up as the international police? Why does that sounds familiar. Especially if that potential super weapon turned out to be completely fake, crafted by your higher-ups, to get you to invade that said enemy nation and provide them economical superiority.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like how you brought politics to a topic in which it has no business. No, really.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
ryanwh

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Um yeah, conquering cant really be justified so this doesnt work. Not much else to it.
SolitaryKnite

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey peoples!! Im new here.. but I thought id throw out my favorite aspect of the game... the building and expansion of the castle/town!!! its great... reminds me of early Breath of fire games/ early Dragon Quest games with its own spin...Put HERE what ideas for a new town building/function would be!!!

For me, Personally S5 was a great building and expanding experiance! I just wish that more NPCs had a role in it.. and not only could you build JUST that one castletown... but instead build up your castle from character growth AND head up the construction of the town outlaying your castle! ... kinda Breath of fire 2 mixed with ROTK..1-100 or how many gmaes there are!! Im not like a sim city fanatic or anything... but having a tenkai or hero.. turning out to be a Lord or future king or something wouldnt be so bad would it!?!?...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: