Suikoden Uncouth and Illusional Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Magic Affinity Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keiya

Deep Ground

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Magic Affinity Help Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know if there's a thread already for this, but I want to know what the abbreviations for the affinities stand for. Thanks a lot. There are question marks on the ones I don't know.

Su - Sun
Fi - Fire
Li - Lightning
Wi - Wind
Wa - Water
Ea - Earth
St - Star
So - Sword of Magic?
Ho - Holy?
Da - Dark?
Sl - ?
Th - ?
Pu - ?
Sh - Shield?

|Your kind and gentle words can't heal me now. This body's only dedicated to the never ending fight.|
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As far as I know, So is for Sound. Probably with Cornelio.

And SL is also Slice, I think. Although i still have to check, i know there's a list there somewhere . . .

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So - Sound
Sl - Slice (or Slash... whichever floats your boat)
Th - Thrust
Pu - Punch
Sh - Shoot

I'm not really sure how Sound affects anything, whether it's just the DoReMi Rune, or the effectiveness of the DoReMi elves (like Perfect Pitch), or if the DoReMi's power stems from the Sound affinity of themselves.

As for the other four, I don't really know. It seems that some enemies are weak to certain types of weapon, and I guess having a higher affinity for a certain weapon type would allow a character to deal more damage than normal to enemies that are weak to that type. I'm not sure if it applies only to special runes or if normal attacks are also affected, but it seems to be the latter.
Keiya

Deep Ground

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, I see. Thanks, you guys.

The Slash, Punch, Thrust and Shoot affinities are for the character, I guess. For example, if the Prince was strong against punches, but weak against thrusts, then steer him clear of Godwin soldiers, coz they will hurt him big time. Inversely, he'll do well against Papa Hollies and such, because those look like punch/blunt attacks.

Thanks for the info guys. It helped a lot.

|Your kind and gentle words can't heal me now. This body's only dedicated to the never ending fight.|
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm, I didn't realize that those others were attack types. I was confused about them myself, but dismissed them out of hand, assuming they were just some obscure type of Rune (like Sound, for example...) which doesn't get used much. Very interesting...

Considering how powerful affinities are (ever tried getting someone up to S Fire and using the Rage Rune? :O) that's pretty good information to have. Maybe when I New Game + it up...but I don't remember any items in the game that influence any of those 'thrust/slash/punch' type affinities at all. Those are hardwired into the character, I assume?

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Fudozukushi

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081375 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Getting certain items can raise the affinities of characters.

All the Fish items from the fishing mini-game give an S in Water, which is pointless since Breath of Ice doesn't do an immpressive amount of damage anyway.

The five packs of DoReMi elves that are encountered around the world map at the time of you getting your castle give out Amulets for each of the five basic elements.

There's also a Dark Amulet and Holy Amulet, plus one other item (a necklece I think) that gives +Dark affinity.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the amulets do add one point to a given affinity, but they also subtract it from that rune's opposing element. the rings supposedly add to the attack, but when i've equipped them, i don't see a change; some of the armors also add one point to an affinity, but usually without the subtraction to the opposing element.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Fudozukushi

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081375 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it has to do with both Attack and Defense being increased at the same time. Though if you equip a Ring which gives +Attack and an Armor which gives +Defense the affinity doesn't go up. It's a really strange system.

And now that I remember, Water affinity isn't totally useless because of the combined magic spells, though I rarely use them so that's why I forgot.
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wasn't finding the amulets were doing much either. The rings though, I find they really help. The only amulets I was using I think is the holy amulet and the dark amulet, since there aren't any rings for them..

I haven't seen much to up the physical skills really though. A few armor pieces, like the armbands for long range attack, but that's all I can really think of at the moment. Which well, it isn't even one of the affinities anyway. Sounds more like something the character has or doesn't. Same as sun rune magic? I don't believe I saw any way to up that either. Mind you, Lyon and the Prince are the only ones which benefit and they're both high rank with it anyhow.

-My DeviantArt-
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, it seems like the Slice/Thrust/Punch/Shoot affinites relate to runes, and not to normal attacks. Each characters' weapon are just different in types, and differ in damage to certain enemies. Like, for example, Norma and the Prince's weapons (sticks) do more damage than the others to the bone soldiers in the Old Armes Dungeon.

The only weapon affinity that I saw that is exceptionally high was Urda's Shoot, which makes her quite an effective user of the Great Hawk Rune (Fury or Boost/Great Hawk/Double-Edged is quite a good rune combo). Besides that, I haven't seen any other person who has an A in any weapon affinity. Bern has a B in Thrust and Shoot, but I'm not sure if both affect her damage output when she uses the Kite Rune.

Another thing of note: Pale Gate's level one spell Open Gate is of Thrust affinity, according to a guidebook (or something else... I'm not exactly sure).
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That makes more sense really, various weapon/damage types working better or worse on varying enemies.

Have you tried that setup on Urda, Highwind? I used her for a bit but I never really used the greathawk on her, she may be worth giving another try to if I can find a way to make her somewhat useful. Well.. that and she's an elf and I just feel the need to always have an elf that's useful, when I can anyway haha ^^

-My DeviantArt-
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I tried that setup, but didn't use it for long, because I'm a more auto-guy and I gave her Boost/Crazed/Double-Edged instead. But indeed, it was quite helpful. If I recall correctly, she did about 800 damage to all enemies, and sometimes does critical hits on some, but misses on others.

Her speed level is the second highest in the game (same as Hazuki, Shigure, Sagiri, etc.) so she almost always attacks first, which makes the setup useful because you can use it to chip away the enemies' HP, and have the rest clean up.

Isato also has an A in Shoot, but his Attack skill only goes up to a B, and he has lower speed. Ideally, the two of them could be given the same set up and they could use Great Hawk individually, but I think giving them the Power/Boost/Double-Edged setup and having them do Arrow Storm would be much more effective (0.7 > 0.5).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: