Suikoden Urgent and Informational Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Himuro's study: Your music listening habits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

lmao@that :*laugh*:

what type of music does orange range play?

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Buff wrote:
lmao@that :*laugh*:

what type of music does orange range play?

Upbeat, goofy, J-rock. XD

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NFV4WpVj1CQ&search=orange%20range

Okay.... well... not all of it is goofy, but the music definately has a beat to it. XD

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.last.fm/user/axisboldas/
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My position is simple:

When I breath: Metal

Seriously, I enjoy the following bands and I don't listen to them in any particular order, or preference. I just wake up and say "Im in the mood for..."

Megadeth
Depeche Mode
Iron Maiden
The Ramones
Soda Stereo ---> Some dudes from around here. (Rock)
Arcadia---> Some dudes from Honduras who haven't even released their album yet =) (Metal)
Gigatron---> Some dudes from Spain (Metal)
Pantera
Nightwish
Therion
The Beatles

If I had to choose a genre for the rest of my life... I'll go with Thrash Metal, I just want Dave Mustaine to marry me ;_____;
Oh, I also enjoy Electronic music for engaging in women hunting activities. Not any particular band, as long as I can bounce with it ;-)
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

How do you listen to music? Depending on the mood? Depending on your actions, so you can have a soundtrack? When I listen to OKC, I am in a thoughtful mood, I'm preparing to go to sleep, and I'm just thinking about life in general. That album reflects my life in more ways than I'd like it to.

I enjoy music alot. I listen to music depending on what I'm doing. Excited stuff while I work out, simple driving beats while I wrestle, easy stuff while I'm driving, stuff I don't like to listen to for waking me up in the morning.

Some stuff that makes me thoughtful is Sufjan Stevens' music. I'm not surprised you've never heard of him. Online you can find his stuff at myspace music since Sufjanstevens.com isn't up last time I checked. His music is... unique. I'll try to describe it. He uses acoustic guitar alot. He also uses nature sounds alot. The beats are unusual. One song I tried to count off ended up being in like 10/8 time I think, or it could have been 2/4. His lyrics are very very earthy, like a hippy almost. He tells stories with his songs. Something that drew me towards him originally is that he took up writing an album for every state. I currently own one of his albums: Illinoise. It's got hits like "Come On! Feel The Illinoise!: Part I: The World's Columbian Exposition/Part II: Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream", "John Wayne Gacy Jr.", "Chicago", "Decatur, or, Round of Applause for your Stepmother", "Casimir Pulaski Day" and "The Predatory Wasp Of The Palisades Is Out To Get Us!", to name a few. He did an album for Michigan as well. The way he mixes obscure sounds, acoustic guitar, piano and unique drum beats reminiscent of a tribal dance. I donno, gets me in a thinking mood.

To relax I listen to the Kings of Convenience. The name of the band pretty much means lazy so the music is pretty reflective of that. Mostly acoustic guitar, often without drums. Their voices are hushed for the lyrics. Not a big fan of their lyrics because they're not that particularly impressive lyrically but the way the words fit the music is well done. I've got their albums "Quiet is the New Loud" and "Riot on an Empty Street".

I like the Shins, AC/DC(for wrestling alot), the Doors, the Strokes, The Hives, Keane, Elliot Smith, Israel Kamakawiwo Ole, Jake Shimabakuro (the man can play a ukelele better than George Harrison could play the guitar. Don't believe? Search his name and the song "While My Ukelele Gently Weeps" and be amazed)and I enjoy the Stubb's the Zombie soundtrack, a mix of modern alternative/punk bands covering 40's and 50's hits (Ben Kweller's cover of Lollipop is great).

Almost forgot to mention Ben Folds. He's my favorite artist/performer ever. Currently he's the second of 2 concerts I've gotten to attend. Too busy to be big into concerts but I try. He was the first tape I ever had. He was the first CD I ever bought. I'm only missing his debut album from my collection and a couple of his EP Releases. I listen to him for any assortment of moods. When I can't pick something or think of something to listen to I'll pop him to sing along with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My musical tastes cover pretty much anything, from Jazz to Heavy Metal.

Theres Jazz from artists such as Django Reinhardt, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Wes Montgomery, Pat Metheny, Joe Pass etc. I really love all the kinds, maybe not so much the vocal Jazz, but there is still some rather good stuff out there I enjoy.

Rock/Hard Rock is a genre I love, anything from Eric Clapton in his days in Cream to Derek & the Dominoes to today is great, Zeppelin, The Allman Brothers Band, The Jimi Hendrix Experience etc. Then newer acts such as Guns N' Roses, The Strokes, Wolfmother, Dream Theater, Eric Johnson, Pearl Jam and the like. It's really about the energy there.

The Blues, this is a genre I'm deeply into as well, all the way from Robert Johnson's complete recordings up to the old Fleetwood Mac.

When it comes to experiences that have "changed my life" (I think thats an overused term that exagerates something completely) there really haven't been any, I just love music, but I don't completely live by a certain artist, I prefer to live by many. :D

I have a last.fm profile to look through if you want:

http://www.last.fm/user/axisboldas/

Other artists I love:

The Raconteurs, The Doors, Pink Martini, The Rolling Stones, Santana, Bob Marley & The Wailers, Charles Mingus, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Muddy Waters, Metallica, Pantera, The Flaming Lips, Van Halen, We Are Scientists, Bob Dylan.

So many more, it'd be too much of a task to list even half of them probably.

Listening to Woman - Wolfmother right now, rather good track. :)
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I listen to almost all types of music, except punk rock and emo.

I sometimes go to sleep and wake up to find that I'm still wearing my earphones.
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While I'm here I may as well mention something that haunts me musically.

... I don't get jazz. Or blues. I can't tell good jazz from crummy jazz, I have no ear for it. It's a shame really, a lot of my friends are really into jazz, and my understanding is that it's one of the most engaging and engrossing genres of music, but I just can't get my mind around it. Maybe it's because I don't play an instrument myself that I have trouble appreciating it? I don't know. A housemate of mine next year is a dedicatd jazz musician, so I may ask him to teach me some jazz appreciation, because come on, I can't be a self-proclaimed music appreciator if I don't understand jazz. Seriously.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Try listening to the album Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis, it's the Jazz album to enter through.
Vince Muerto

The Cool Guy Regiment

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I listen to whatever I find is good. I mostly listen to punk because I think it has the most feeling (passion or whatever, that's the best I know how to describe it). Punk also has the best live shows around. I listen to all types of punk these days ranging from pop-punk to grindcore. Here are the bands I find myself listening to the most:

Pop-punk: A New Found Glory, A Wilhelm Scream, Cartel, Latterman, the Lawrence Arms, Dillenger Four

Emo/Screamo: I Hate Myself, 1000 Travels of Jawaharlal, Angel Hair, Cap'n Jazz, Circle Takes the Square, City of Caterpillar, Kaospilot, Swing Kids, Orchid, Neil Perry

Folk Punk: Against Me!, Ghost Mice, This Bike is a Pipe Bomb

Powerviolence/Grindcore: **** on the Beach, xBrainiax, Pig Destroyer, Nasum, Dropdead, Charles Bronson, Infest, The Number Twelve Looks Like You

Noise/whatever: Lightning Bolt, Melt Banana, An Albatross

I also have been listening to DEVO (Freedom of Choice rules) and the Sound of Animals Fighting a ton these days.
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah..I'm glad to notice I share alot of the same Music habits. For me some of my habits started to become a problem. I remember I used to wear headphones in school....the small earplug ones were great until they said youc ouldn't wear hoods up in school. I've found myself listening to alot of new indepedent lables out there now. That and ofcoarse alot of Jrock. I listen to everything from The Good Life, Minus the Bear, Teagan and Sara, Get up Kids..all amazing bands. Yeah if anyone wants to listen to something truely amazing. Search for a Band called Cub Country. ooh man.

Team Brave

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think theres alot to be gained from listening to music. People draw differant things from it depending on how they were brought up, their view on life, friends, experiences etc.
Really its one of the(if not the most) expressive art forms of human emotion. What I listen to is predominantly heavy at the moment but its not like I draw anger or frustration from the music but I appreciate the passion and energy that comes out of screaming vocals mixed with double-kick, insane rifts and who could forget the breakdowns.
Sometimes i'll listen to music to reflect my mood, and it can help me relaxe or think things through. Other times its purely for fun. Sometimes its to get pumped up.
Music has the ability to get through to us on another level I think because when we are listening to it its an active process were part of the song and can either understand its meaning from the writers perspective or more likely draw our own meaning from it.
Theres no best way to listen to music I don't think - I can't imagine forcing myself to like something. But sometimes you'll find that certain bands, songs or styles grow on you and you begin to see "beauty" in them whether it be classical music or grindcore.
I dont know where the hell im going with this lol but ill just say at the end of the day who is anyone to ridicule someones musical taste differant people enjoy differant styles of music for a variety of reasons and at the end of the day who cares if you think something is shit aslong as its making someone somewhere happy its getting the job done. :?

Even at his most powerless mans existance is never without meaning...
EggMan

Ordo Lusus

167874 Potch
250 Soldiers
180 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love all music, sometimes though i gotta not pay attention to the lyrics because they're just so terrible. But as Br4ve pointed out music is an art form for human emotion so not everyone is going to enjoy the screaming about a break-up with a girl or the suicidal thoughts. I drown out the lyrics like that and just listen to the music.
Theres a lot of jazz appreciators I see but no one named John Coltane. He is an amazing player and knows what he's doing when it comes to jazz. Him, Miles Davis, and Thelonious Monk are the best people to start with when your getting into jazz.
Never over look 70's rock either, there are some amazing groups there - Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Electric Light Orchestra, Steely Dan, Jethro Tull, The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Who, Led Zep, and so many others. They have some really good music plus some good lyrics to go with it.
For the music that I listen to that came out more recently its usually rap, rock, techno, or world music. Gotta love Soulive, The SLip, and many other new bands that no one knows :x .
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like to think my musical taste is diverse, but who is to judge how similar one music is to another? In my musical taste, I try to avoid a classic "genre" and only classify things into good or bad, and somtimes comically bad, as is the case with a song like Leann Rimes' "Can't Fight the Moonlight".

This is not to say I think I know what good music is, or that anyone can really tell you. I hate saying that I have good taste in music, but obviously I think I do, because it is the music I chose to listen to.

A lot of my friends are really into "Indie" rock. I put "Indie" in quotation marks because several "Indie" artists, are not, by definition, indie anymore. Snow Patrol and Modest Mouse are not independant; they are signed by Universal and Epic respectively. I do not care really when bands "sell-out", but it bothers me how they are currently mis-labeled. I also do not like the term "Indie".

My favorite "genre" (as I already explained, I have a great deal of trouble with that word as well), is easily rap and hip-hop. I try to not listen to the mainstream stuff, because it tends to get old and philisophically, I hate the kind of consumerism that most rappers promote. Regardless, I find myself listening to Jay-Z and Busta Rhymes on occasion. I actually like DMX and Kanye West (although I cannot stand his attitude). Most of the rap and hip-hop I really like is sometimes considered "Underground", which is another label I don't like because it is often misused and somewhat nebulous.

While I respect music in all its forms and genres, I do not find myself liking Metal or Country really. Just not my cup of tea, as I imagine Rap and Hip-Hop is with several of the members of this board.

Anyway, after I've rambled this much, I will post something like a list of some of my favorite artists.

Saul Williams - Easily my favorite recording artist and poet. Listening to his work makes me want to write and rhyme, even though my complexion and voice are not fond of that. I know several of his poems and have recited one or two at school events.

The Shins - Something about the Shins keeps me at ease. I like how they sing, their diversity of songs, everything. I can listen to them for hours when doing homework or something and not even noticed time has passed.

Atmosphere/Slug - Formerly my favorite group/rapper, Slug has this sort of intellectual way he goes about rhyming, and he doesn't usually talk about a big house and typically talks about his difficulties with women (although he has no difficulties getting them).

Pigeon John - Another rapper I like. My brother saw him live with Gift of Gab (Blackalicious), and said he was sub par. Still, I really like his relaxing approach at rap.

Sufjan Stevens - He only has one album out, but I love it. His voice and song composition are amazing. Sometimes his lyrics blow me away too, because I will listen to a song and think the lyrics are entirely unrelated and not see the tie until several listens later.

Sly and the Family Stone - Classic.

Johnny Cash - The exception to me not liking country.

Miles Davis and John Coltrane - Their stuff together was straight incredible. And their indidivual stuff was similarly brilliant. Of course, they are two of the most famous jazz musicans, but lord are they good.

The Velvet Underground - I love Lou Reed. And his band.

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Can be one of the most relaxing and fun artists in history. His voice is incredible and can always put me at ease no matter the level of my frustration.

And lately, I have really enjoyed Gnarls Barkley, Cee-Lo and DJ Dangermouse. One of the only music videos I have liked in many years is to "Crazy", which you should check out. The album, St. Elsewhere, might make my top 10 favorite albums at some point, after future listening.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My music listening habits is pretty straightforward. I listen primarily to classical music and the blues and the many other types of music derived from it.

Classical: Frederic Chopin, Ernest Chausson, Gustav Mahler, Rachmaninoff, John Fields are some of my favorite classical composers.

Blues: Robert Johnson, Elmore James, Albert Collins, Taj Mahal, W.C. Clark, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, The Allman Brothers band are just some of my favorite blues and blues-rock bands and artists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: