Suikoden Ugly and Informational Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What do you think about guns and other weapons?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tokuro

White Storms

22016 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: What do you think about guns and other weapons? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man I hate weapons. For me we could all abolish those horrible things forever. Coward stuff no doubt about it...
Anyway what's the others opinions??

Last edited by Tokuro on Sun May 21, 2006 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What does it mean to say, "What is your tough about...?" I haven't heard this phrase before. Is it like, how you view these things when you get into a fight?
Tokuro

White Storms

22016 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ops sorry bout that I am worse in english as one can be
Anyway what I meant is:
"What do you guys think about guns and other weapons?"...is it right now?
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Without weapons humans would have never progressed beyond the level of apes, monkies and the like.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While a world without weapons sounds wonderful (in our modern society at least; it would have been historically untenable), the fact is that it will never happen and is probably physically impossible. Human beings are going to be wanting to kill each other for probably our entire existence as a species. And really, once the motive to kill or hurt is there, almost anything can be turned into a weapon.

Actually, John Layfield, I'd go one further and say that if weapons had never come into being, human beings would be extinct. Humans are one of the least physically equipped creatures in existence, and they would not have been able to establish habitats or secure food supplies without weapons. Without weapons, the evolutionary path resulting in humanity would probably have never happened.

Also, you can edit the titles of topics. Just click on the "Edit" button in the top right corner of your original post and the title bar should be available for edit.
Tokuro

White Storms

22016 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh thanks Camus .
I understand that for evolution and survival and bla bla bla but my point as a guy who always tried to make his own body a living weapon it is hard.
Sure to some level weapons are needed...but why do we need weapons that kills without any actually human needed? I have a friend that recently passed away because he was MURDERED by some fo@#$%& little thief that carried a weapon. All his training and efforts to become a better human and a better figther were in vain because a bastard with a weapon killed him...
Why do we need nuclear weapons? Biological weapons? For me it should be with a sword when one man and his effort made all the difference in a battlefield and a unarmed man could stand a chance...I know it is a romantic and stupid way of viewing things but what can I do? I am stupid after all
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

tokuro, you just are a suikoden fan!

um, er. what i mean to say is i like the battles in it. it's generally not "dirty" with nuclear weapons and bio weapons and so on.

guns among civillians: i don't agree with it. My country has low gun ownership levels. mainly just hunters have them or people who are part of shooting clubs. of course people and underworld figures can own handguns illegally, but generally Australia function well without guns, so i don't see why another country can't do it either.

it upsets me when i see civilians in the middle east armed with automatics and military style guns, where do they get them from? generally they perceived as "not well off", yet they have got the newest and best gun technology to kill each other. it's disgusting that it's so acceptable. i feel that personal gun ownership is like saying you'll take the law into your own hands if it proves ineffective, and i think that's not the way a civilised society should behave.

i can see about historical uses of weapons, but now i think our dominance is established and weapons are only to be used defensively.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The reason why the gun is one of the most significant inventions ever made by mankind is because it is the great equalizer. No longer does a human have to be physically strong, devoting his years to becoming a warrior in order to defeat an opponent. All he needs to do is pull a trigger. Children are now treated with the same fierce respect as adults; women are no longer weaker than men. No matter who you are, a single bullet can kill you.

It is because of the great equalizer that a lowly group of ragtag Americans were able to stand up against British rule.

The death of your friend is regrettable, and one might argue that your friend had a chance if the thief was not a coward who used a weapon. This is why many people in the United States argue for the right to bear arms; there are too many bad wolves out there, and the normal citizen needs to be able to defend himself against them. Still, would your friend's death have been any less sad if the thief had no weapon, and instead killed him with bare hands? I personally don't think so.
Pierrot Le Fou

Rain Dogs

37957 Potch
0 Soldiers
196054 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know, the only thing that gun restrictions would prevent are crimes of passion. Thats about it, people who still wanted to purchase guns could do so, through the black market; and with that comes even more problems, people would just have another reason to get involved with the mob. So I say live, and let live.

Correct me if I'm wrong Tokuro, but you're saying people shouldn't have weapons because the time and energy it takes to train in martial arts should give these people a right to fight/kill eachother? Now I know nuclear bombs are on the opposite side of the spectrum from martial arts, but they're both used to fight/kill others you know? Whether in self defense or not I think training your body to be a weapon is really not much better than practicing at a firing range. Please don't take any offense from that, I understand little about the conditioning it takes to be a skilled martial artist, and I know there are spiritual undertones to it all; I just don't see why person A is better than person B.

Edit: To follow up on Arcana's point about the equalizer that weapons bring: wouldn't you feel safer if you were the "vulnerable" type in a bad part of town just having a can of pepper spray or a taser? Innocent people get attacked all of the time, regardless if their assailants have weapons, but you might save your own life if you protect yourself. Man, what a depressing topic!!
Tokuro

White Storms

22016 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why should I be offended?? I asked the question
But you wrong for me saying that person A is better than B just for training martial arts. I think that doing it indeed help the development of people but every person has a single way of developing himself (by songs reading or martial arts). What I meant is no truth martial artist would ever think "who am I going to figth/kill today?" (and if anyone does think like that sorry buddy YOU are not a martial artist ok you're just a lowly punk) because all of your strength will only come out if you have the moral basic for this (the guys who do it for like a week migth think that they know something but tsc).That is the difference, you upgrade both your moral ways along with your body. We humans have advanced weapons but doesn't have the advanced moral discerniment to use it and that is what I am trying to say.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You're right: morality does not equal strength.

There are many people in this world who want to do good and right in this world, but don't have the power to do so; similarly, there are many who wish to do evil, and acquire the means to do so.

But because of the gun, the great equalizer, we've given the opportunity for everyone to deal their own personal form of justice.

Unfortunately, in the past, military training was not necessarily reflective of the ideals of Eastern Martial arts, and many people were trained to be killing machines (the same goes for the modern era). Many people can learn to use their body and available tools to deadly effect; whether they use these skills for just, moral purposes is totally irrelevant.

Quote:
We humans have advanced weapons but doesn't have the advanced moral discerniment to use it and that is what I am trying to say.

I don't think anyone will disagree with you here. This is an accepted fact of human nature. However, the development of nuclear weapons has led to a rather prolonged period of peace where people are afraid to strike against nuclear powers for fear of mutually-assured destruction. Our bombs are so big now that we're afraid to use them.
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sigh* I detest gun. I still remeber a friend of my girlfriend was shoot to death by a police officer no less! And for the crime of being in the wrong place in the wrong time... Bah great equalizer? Dont you mean the great chicken? It a weapon that is used by cowards. I would be satisfied to see all guns be destroyed and anyone caught producing them be sentenced to life imprisonment.

Quote:

This is why many people in the United States argue for the right to bear arms; there are too many bad wolves out there, and the normal citizen needs to be able to defend himself against them.

Heh, i'd barely trust a police officer with a gun. I'd sure as heck wouldn't trust someone who owns a gun for "protection"

As for nuclear weapon, well im slightly mixed with it. As long as people have nuclear weapons they wont be that inclined to invade one another. It wont prevent all wars but at least it will prevent a world war. Unless of course people like walking on radiated lands.
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rune hunter, how would you have police arm themselves? And what would happen if they ran into someone who had acquired a gun on the black market? That would hardly be a good thing. Your solution of destroying all guns would be wildly impractical.
Tokuro

White Storms

22016 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana what do you mean by "great equalizer"??? For me justice is something that would be for the good of comunity and so there is nothing like "personal justice" for me. This is purely revenge and I don't think that is the way we should do it.
For me destroying all guns is impossible for the simply matter people are too afraid to do it. And that is why I call guns coward stuff:it is product of fear.
As for nuclear weapons, I could think that if a country is about to colapse then they would think "hell why not" and take everybody with them, not to mention dozens of terrorists who would love to launch anything in the world.
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Impractical,eh. Maybe full disarmament is impractical due to the reason you stated camus but it is at least possible to minimize the number of police that carry guns. There are other alternative to use as weapons besides guns. Sigh* maybe someday,although very unlikely, people will lose the technology to make guns and maybe then we can live in a more peaceful world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: