Suikoden Unique and Irenic Knowledge Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Has Suikoden V made you less of a fan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't really call myself a hard-core Suikoden fan, since I don't buy the guides, cds, artbooks of the games. However, I do love the Suikoden games, and they are one of my favorite series.
Suikoden V didn't make me less of a fan, but it did make me a big fan of S5. I will continue to stay loyal to the Suikoden games to the end, and judge each game individually, instead of using all the games as whole to judge whether or not I like the series. So my fandom hasn't really changed, other then I get more excited about Suikoden 5 stuff now, then stuff about the previous games. Fanfiction, fanart, doujinshis', fansites, etc. This is most likely because it's new, I had the same phase for Suikoden IV and Tactics actually.

I found S5 to be maybe the most emotional Suikoden yet.
*spoilers*

I have yet to hear someone not feeling the Arshtat and Ferid scene. It was just so emotional when Arshtat killed Ferid, and then Georg taking the Queen's life. I think this was the most moving scene in the game. Where people are just shocked, and sadden by this turn of events.
In this game, there are many emotional events. When I see the Prince with a sad face, it really makes me feel for the guy. For example, the time when he saw Sialeeds after she betrays him, you can see the pain in his eyes. Made me really want to choose the choice "as if you care." just to see her reaction. However, when I see that look in his face, I really can't. It just doesn't seem like him to yell at her like that. I love how they made him yell, cry, laugh, and smile sweetly during the game. It really game me a sense he had a personality. Just no voice.
I think if the VA was better for Marina, you might feel for her a bit more, (That and maybe if she didn't flap her arms when you first meet her) when she sees what she did to Belcoot. Not to say her VA was bad, but I think that scene could of been better.
Also the Lordlake incident in the beginning, when Toma yells at you. Some people feel anger with Toma when does this, others feel sad that this happened to him. I felt bad, here the Prince and co are just trying to be nice, but everyone seems to be putting the blame on them. Not that I don't think they don't have a right to be mad, but I just felt bad for them.
Sialeeds' death, I think I felt chocked up, but I think it's because I heard either Lelei or Lucretia crying. I liked how Lucretia told Sialeeds to look after the Prince after the war.
Finally when you see everyone if you got 108 stars. I couldn't help but feel happy with the way Arshtat petted her son. It was just a really sweet moment, and I almost cried when I saw her. Despite the reasons the villians did what they did weren't really that great, I loved the ending. Especially with the one where the Prince leaves with Georg. It felt like a good farewell, from the characters to you. Everything was over, and it's time to get back to life.

*end spoilers*

To me, there were many emotional parts of this story, which I haven't felt since Suikoden I. Actually, I haven't felt this way about a game since Xenogears(My favorite game). So Suikoden 5 didn't just keep me as a fan of Suikoden, but it also made me love RPGs/stories/video games even more. This is why I feel that Suikoden 5, is the best RPG I've played on PS2.
I would like to have this kind of feeling again in Suikoden VI.

Although I really do enjoy Suikoden, I'm not closed minded about other games either. I want to play KH2, and I look forward to FF12. Yes square likes to blow their budget on graphics and music, but it doesn't mean I can't enjoy it either. I think for some people, fandom comes and goes. I used to like Gundam Seed a lot, but now I really don't care for it. Suikoden I choose to stay loyal towards, since I actually enjoyed all of the games. Including IV. So if you loose interest in the series, I don't see it as a big deal. Not everything is going to met each of our expectations, and we eventually loose interest in things over time, despite being obsessed about it earlier.

Sophita wrote:
(I like her, but woman has a contingency plan for EVERYTHING. Would it have killed them to give her one moment where she's taken by surprise?)

This is kind of what took the fun out of her. It seemed like she knew and was prepared for everything, so it takes away the tension that you'd get in previous Suikoden games. There was only one except she admits, she did was wrong.

Quote:
I agree with this, too. To my mind, there's a point where there's too much realism. It's not supposed to be a perfect emulation of real life, it's supposed to be fun. For

I agree, making a game too realistic would give realistic problems. If we start doing this, why not make the characters tired after running so long? Why not make them eat, drink, even doing their nature when they have to. I think this kind of aspect is more suitable for Vitural Reality games, or SIMs. RPGs to me, are more like a book. You only go through the important parts that make the story progress. Having Townspeople doing their daily life doesn't seem like an important aspect to the story. They're just there to give you the stimulation that this is a town with people in it, and for you to have a place to buy items.

15988 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden games have been my favourite series for 6 years or so and even though Suikoden IV was beneath the average level, I pushed myself to finish it. As for Suikoden V...it's a great game with lots of plot twists, decent system etc etc but that is what the majority of us know.

However, I agree to an extent with some people who claim that it's way too similar to Suikoden II (which I also consider to be the best one in the series so far) in terms of events that we're introduced to in it.

Though Suikoden V didn't make me more of a fan, it certainly brought back my faith in Konami.
Equus

Sindarin Speed Bumps of Rage

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe it's just been too long since I played II, but I didn't really mind any similiarities between that game and V. I do have to second the notion that Sophita brought up, this is probably the first game that I've started a new game + immediately after beating it the first time and I'm still plowing through it right now. Granted, part of it probably is because I purposely didn't get the 108 SoD ending and so I'm motivated to get a "good" ending, but I planned it that way somewhere around 4/5 of the way through my first game.

I really have to disagree with the Bright Shield Rune Bearer's take on FFXII, from what limited exposure I've had on it. I like the movies I've seen, and it looks okay, but I found the gameplay off of the demo disc actually really clunky. It's almost as if it wanted too much to be like MMORPG's and what not, but failed because of poor responses and a pretty unintuitive menu interface. Don't get me wrong, I'm still something of a FF fanboy, though I can't even really put a finger on why myself. Maybe it's fond memories of FF Tactics. Who knows?

Back on topic, I agree with previous posters that this one actually did it right, in my book. There are a few things I would have preferred to see, like a menu interface that was a little more user-friendly and larger more detailed graphics (the environments were just so large, in my opinion, that I just had a hard time using the zoom function that much), but the overall package was well worth it. I'm not sure I can agree with the argument that the "take this town, build your army" thing is a problem with the game, since that is one of the building blocks of the concept, but to each their own.
Hawksaber

1041 Potch
5 Soldiers
687 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ironically, that's what I actually like about Suikoden. Most RPG series take a new approach with each game, and completely change the plot, storyline, setting, and characters as each game progresses.

Suikoden has always stuck with the same world, basically the same gameplay, and the same all around feel to the games. Each game has connections with the other, and when a new game is released in the Suikoden series we can always expect to see something unfolded.

I think it's the big bang ending we Suikoden fans look forward to. The final rune uncovered, seeing previous characters return if we see a sequel to III, Viktor and Flik, Yuber and Pesmerga (I know, yell at me, haha)... but my point is, there are many reasons people are drawn back to playing the games when a sequel is released.. Even if the gameplay has been the same for the past 11 years.
Vincent Vingerhut

Knights of Rass Will

156581 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden V hasnt made me any less fan, infact after it has revived my interest after some less interesting releases in the series after SIII. I am very much looking forward to the next suikoden in which again the geography, cultures, plots and character development will again expand. I am actually hoping on a larger power struggle given the larger capactiy of the PS3, perhaps inter-continential scenario, where numerous nations are actively involved in.
Shula

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden V actually made me back interested in the Suikoden series.The last game I played was Suikoden II and that was years ago, and after I saw some gameplay and characters(the ducks but I like Sgt Joe for some reason lol) in Suikoden III I didn't like it so I didn't even bother with it.So fast forward to last year and I saw Suikoden IV came out and I heard it was terrible so I skipped that one too! So after that I thought I would never play a Suikoden game again...

Then a little over a month ago while going to Gamecrazy I saw Suikoden V came out and I liked the way it looked way more then the previous two so I bought it and it totally got me interested in the Suikoden series again so after I beat it I then bought Suikoden IV(I think its a little under rated) and just got Suikoden III and its decent I see some people say its better then SV but its average to me(I like SIV more :shock: ) but if anything Suikoden V is tied with Suikoden II on the best of them for me.
Onix

26611 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden V has not made me a less of a fan. It actually made more of a fan...Suikoden series is one of my favorite RPG games. I only played Suikoden II, III, and V. When I've heard of the release of Suikoden V, I was actually....exited to buy a copy!!~ From the Suikoden series I've played, Suikoden V has more emotions, sentimental stuff, hugging, whatever. Since I've not played Suikoden IV, I really don't know about the voice acting. For me, Suikoden III has the best backround graphics. Suikoden V has nice graphics, especially with the characters.

Oh, btw sorry if I said something :off topic: hehe...
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know.... for me... Suikoden V was what I had been wating for in a Suikoden for a while. It had that familiar feel to it that seriously makes me feel good and get into the game a lot.

It was like a Suiko-refresher to me. Made me really appreciate again how rare a gem Suikoden really is.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It did the opposite really. While I find there's a lot of Suikoden II love going around, I'm just not as big of a fan of it as others. Don't get me wrong, II was an exceptional game.. but I prefered I and III over it actually, and now V as well.

I played Suikoden I first and fell absolutely in love with it. While III definitely had it's flaws, I liked it quite a bit. I played II after, once I finally got my hands on a copy.. and I will say it's reeeally good, but just doesn't strike me as my favorite, regardless of how good it is. IV I really tried to like, and while I do feel it had it's good points, it had it's major faults too. That said, I did end up liking a good handful of characters, so not all is lost. Tactics filled IV out a bit and made me appreciate it a bit more actually. I will admit I was a bit down after IV and Tactics, I didn't know where the series was going to go.. but Suikoden V really saved it. While I do get similarities off it from other suikoden games, I wouldn't say I find a direct connection to Suikoden II really. So that said, I don't expect a 2.25 or whatever version off the next suikoden. I'll be happy to see the basic war concept back, some returning characters, some new ones with development and a nice story. I'm not as nitpicky as such, I'll admit.. but Suikoden V really got me excited with suikoden again :)

I have to agree with the earlier comment about the difference between Suikoden Final Fantasy. I prefer the contiuing sort of story over the jump from different 'worlds' that FF does. I just find suikoden creates a lot of nostalgia.. it's also much easier to relate to a war and differences in people.. than it is a big baddie out to blow up the world. Don't get me wrong, I like FF, but I'm not a fan of it like I am of Suikoden.

I don't usually jump right into a replay of a game either, but I did start a new game + right away and I usually play every other day if not more. I'm pushing through it and still really enjoying it. Awesome ^^

-My DeviantArt-
zeal

The Zealots

0 Potch
400 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I peronsally liked Suikoden V. I don't see any possible way this game could be bad. It reminded me of all the great qualities about Suikoden I and II. The emotion in this game was amazing and moving.

I never really got un-interested in Suikoden. I like the gameplay of all the game. Love the story of all of them. A sidenote Suikoden IV was good in my opinion and it has really been under rated by everyone here.

The only think that is wrong with suikoden V and that has been making me less of a fan is the fact that they're not trying to continue the story of Suikoden I, II, and III. The suikoden world has just seemed to stand still. I just wish something will happen beyond Suikoden III. I mean a lot happened in that game and i just feel that the developers are scaried to continue.

Check out:
Car Accidents
I'm A Plus Size Model
Superslut
Rene Magritte/Surrealism
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well, maybe some of you think like that, and sometimes i also think like that too...
but when i don't have anything else to play or bored with other games, i play Suikoden and started to love it again, so i play it from 1 to 5 again, because of the awesome story line and time line and cool Runes too... :mrgreen:
so, it's up to you guys anyway... :wink:
SuikoGator

6724 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden V both made me more and less interested in the series. I didn't play Suikoden 3 or 4. After seeing Suikoden V, I bought a PS2 just so I could play it.

So yes, my interest has rekindled, but some dissapointments in Suikoden V leave me apprehensive.

Many have noted that Suikoden V bears many resemblences to the first 2 games. This is what I love about the Suikoden series, and why I picked up S5. So I view that as a positive, not a negative. However, in my opinion Suikoden 5 couldn't reach the same level of greatness as SI and SII.

Quote:
All of the tasks that were done to fight the War are such minor events with nothing more than less than a hour stay at a town, talk to a few people, and go somewhere: Agate prison rescue, Ceras lake ruins, Lelcar, Island nations visit... are all nothing more than that. The sable and dragon cavalry events are slightly more interesting but are still nothing that compares to the ones in II like Muse, Two Rivers, Greenville... I can go on and on.

No offense but to everyone that says V is better than II, you might as well be playing any other rpg than a suikoden game cause a major aspect of the suikoden story in V is very very weak. If this part of suikoden doesn't change for the better in the next game, I have to say I may become Much "Less of a Fan".

AMEN!

1. I felt like all I was doing was going around recruiting cities without any emotional impact whatsoever. The leaders of the cities, the cities themselves, the citizens of the cities. None of it touched me.

2. Lucretia was way too good. Not only did this make the game seem less fun, it had the effect of making the whole game feel like I was winning. Almost from the get-go I felt like the enemy was no challenge. In Suikoden I and II, you feel like you are up against a massive, almost overwhelming force. The odds are against you, but you keep fighting. You hold a small light called hope in your palms, and you have to kindle that hope to stay warm, and each victory brings a little more.

Quote:
Lucretia is the god-queen of strategists (I like her, but woman has a contingency plan for EVERYTHING. Would it have killed them to give her one moment where she's taken by surprise?)

I liked Suikoden V a lot. It doesn't reach the same level of excelence as SI and SII, but I appreciate the attempt. For future Suikodens, stay on the same track, just give it another go. Not all stories can be perfect 10s
Ashley Riot

The Queensguard

20000 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elzamine wrote:
It did the opposite really. While I find there's a lot of Suikoden II love going around, I'm just not as big of a fan of it as others.

"So this is what it feels like...when doves cry!"

Man, I feel a lot less lonely now. Where's that sweatdrop smiley? Ah, never mind. :)
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Lucretia was way too good.

about her, I didn't mind the fact that she was very good since she was the quite type that you really didn't get to know very well like all the previous strategists. what's more annoying to me about her is that she lacks a interesting personality, you really don't know much about her, and for some reason Gizel seemed to know exactly what she was gona do at every turn. Every offensive Lucretia planned Gizel knew coming, yet he was never able to stop it. What is up with that? what is he? the smartass guy back in school who knew about everything but can't get anything done right?

Quote:

I felt like all I was doing was going around recruiting cities without any emotional impact whatsoever. The leaders of the cities, the cities themselves, the citizens of the cities. None of it touched me.

Finally! someone who feel the same way I do, I was starting to think no one cared about some of the reasons that caused me to love the series from the beginning. There are 108 characters, instead of mini side quests that have nothing to do with anything, why not involve their own unique personalities into the storyline and the struggle of the war more often. I don't recall many people that did as much for the V storyline as characters like Ridley, Hauser, Kiba, Teresa, Fitcher, Jess... these are all people that didn't do anything else except show their own unique personality at multiple points in the game to enhance the storyline and the idea there is an all out war in progress. In V, you get characters like Wasil, Volga, Talgeyl, Shula, Orok, Mueller, Bernadette... they all have some part in the storyline but you see them for their events and then they never do anything important to show their own personality again. There is only a handful of characters that gets involved repeatedly in the story to allow you to get attached to them and feel like they belong in this army.
Prophecy

Local Ruffians!!!!

60970 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden 5 made me more a fan and the slowly i got saddanned with the game as i played through:

1. Recruiting: Things were to missable, you get caught up in the story and you miss afew opeople then it seems a whole bunch are missed.. (ahem...oboro *shakes fist in anger*).

2. mayeb its just my ps2, but the framerate slowdown in certain areas really bogs down the flow.

Yea theres only 2 things, but it did bring down the game a smidging for me, i still will replay the game over and over like suikoden 2 because i find it that much fun compared to 3 and tactics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: