Suikoden Unique and Inspirational Knowledge Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Useless Orbs...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alluminitti

124798 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Useless Orbs... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Another thing is that the Fire-Sealing, Steel and Wall Orbs are look useless. Can I just sell those?
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

T ome, Hunter Orb is utterly useless. I've tried it on Lyon, with the right formation, and she can't land a single hit.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Steel Orb actually has a great use in the first part of the Twilight Runes. You would only use it if you have Jeane to take it off you after you enter the ruins. The enemies in the forest don't use magic (at least that I can remember). But you're right, I never used it at all.

Venom rune is useless. I a lot of antitoxins with that thing equipped because I poison myself.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Alluminitti

124798 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a question. Instead of making a whole new topic I think it would be best to just ask it here.

I'm trying to recruit Alhazred and I've already returned the mysterious book back to the Seer in the Yasuna Village Inn. The FAQ said that Alhazred should be north of the fountain in Estrise...but he's not there...
Rainrir

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hunter Orb works will when you used Wind of Sleep on the target first. Too bad the enemies do not drop anything that is OMFGPWNAGE like Suikoden 2 where the enemies can drop the Higher Level Runes. Furthermore, the existance of SEVERAL characters (Zweig, Lorelai. Killey, Faylon, Faylen, Bergen, Babbage) with the Treasure Hunt skills, which I believe is stackable, really makes it kind of pointless..somewhat unless you REALLY need that Prosperity piece of that damn Evil Frog.

Am I the only one to see that Boundray Orb and Raven combined will create a hideously unkillable tank..espcially if combined with the Eyeball Rings.

Raven Rune = No physical damage and Boundary Rune= 1/5 Magical damage (averaging around 20) and 0 PDEF. Yea I think Raven is REALLY unkillable with that set up.

Heh, Wall can work it you place a Firefly Rune on the character holding the Wall Rune...this can't work of Galleon..but it works FINE on the drawfs, they will be pretty unkillable as well.

Vemon rune exists to make the game more of a challenge..heh heh....all vemon party will have to play every dungeon at maximium speed and minimium battles..(j/k)
Vincent Vingerhut

Knights of Rass Will

156581 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have never used the Fire or water sealing orbs. I dont think it is wise to focus on a single element. Also I belief it is more fruitful to use the another more offensive rune for that rune-slot.

I also never use the venom, poison or sleep runes. They are pretty useless and not that impressive compared to elemental runes. I rather prefer runes that change the status of a party character rather than of the enemy.
Zieg

15988 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alluminitti wrote:
I have a question. Instead of making a whole new topic I think it would be best to just ask it here.

I'm trying to recruit Alhazred and I've already returned the mysterious book back to the Seer in the Yasuna Village Inn. The FAQ said that Alhazred should be north of the fountain in Estrise...but he's not there...

The same thing happened to me. I guess you'll have to wait a bit more; either for a castle upgrade or a particular event, beats me.

As for useless runes...

Steel Rune- not only was the orb useless (at least in my case), but also the visual effect it gave sucked.

Great Firefly- who needs a higher encounter rate in this game? Unless one's willing to battle only dungeon/map bosses or whatever they're called.
arts03

12000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

a bit off topic, starting from suikoden iv they called runes "orbs", i personally think it does not sound that cool anymore since i found "runes" to be more mysterious sounding but anyways....

i never really used status inducing runes like silence, venom, etc..because it never really is that useful. If only they'd make the game more challenging in such a way that you would find a use for those runes then i think it'd be nice. Though they did a marvelous job expanding runes this time.
Alluminitti

124798 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

arts03 wrote:
a bit off topic, starting from suikoden iv they called runes "orbs", i personally think it does not sound that cool anymore since i found "runes" to be more mysterious sounding but anyways....

i never really used status inducing runes like silence, venom, etc..because it never really is that useful. If only they'd make the game more challenging in such a way that you would find a use for those runes then i think it'd be nice. Though they did a marvelous job expanding runes this time.

Yea, I agree. Runes sound much cooler.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought a lot of the Runes which you could acquire in Suikoden V were pretty much worthless. Among those already mentioned, I think that the Hunter Orb is pretty much useless. I didn't bother using either the Steel or Boundary Orbs either...but I could see how you might want to. Fire Sealing and Water Sealing Orbs are also useless. I remember being hit by Breath of Ice (or something similar) about twice in the entire game. Enemies using Fire Magic were substantially more common, but not to the point where I could be bothered trying to defend specifically against it.

Poison, Venom, and Sleep Orbs are all useless too. Venom is particularly bad, because it has a chance of poisoning the user as well. However, even if it doesn't, I don't understand the point of trying to poison random encounters in any game, let alone a Suikoden one. The battle should be over by the time it inflicts meaningful damage anyway. It's just a waste of a Rune slot as far as I'm concerned, especially since you can't embed them on a weapon anymore, and you have to waste one of the person's valuable Rune slots for it. Sleep wouldn't be too bad on a character with no magic to speak of and an open Rune slot, simply because putting an enemy to sleep is better than not doing so, if you can do it at no cost to yourself. Meh.

I had basically no use for the Equilibrium Rune. I very rarely suffered from the effects of the unbalanced status. Actually, come to think of it, most of the Runes in Suikoden V are pretty much useless. Consult the following list if you want to see the complete list:

http://www.suikox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8685&start=0

Regular Runes that you expect to be jank aside, I also thought the Shield Rune was pretty lame in this game. Since the healing doesn't depend on your magic power, and is simply a flat 200 all-party heal, it's kinda weak. Also, the Condemnation Rune kind of bites. It reminds me of Suikoden IV, except in Suikoden IV, sometimes you didn't have anything better than the Rune of Punishment. In Suikoden V, you always do.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Rainrir

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well.....The Orb of Condemnation can do quite a bit of damage on the right person with the Right Setup. In my memory on a S ranked mage (Levi is the only one that can pull this off I think) with the "God Tier" Magic stat (Eresh, Zerase, Viki, Jeane, Levi) and the Magic Orb....the level 3 all-target spell loses out only to the Rage Rune's and Blue Gate Rune's level 4 spell.

Yea the status attack orbs are pretty lame, except sleep...maybe...since it helps with Hunter Orb spamming...if only more enemies have something that is actually worth Hunter-ing...

Oh yea...the Sword of Magic Runes are terrible. I never saw a point to them. The Viper Orb 1-hand sword attack rune is also pretty useless...
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

that's the nature of the hunter orb; it hasn't changed since sIII. you are guaranteed a prize for a successful hit, however, the trade off is severely reduced accuracy.

as for starting a new thread, i believe this has been covered by the rules already; new topic, new thread.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found the condemnation rune to be very worthless. Its level one and level two attacks are the same as a lightning rune but do damage to you and the level three is decent, but there are much better attacks adn the level four isn't too useful considering that high damge normally ahs a 100% chance of killing something.
Rainrir

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

S3? It was there all the way back in S2!

What I am complaining about is that the profileration of the Treasure Hunt skill and the general worthlessness of the item drops in S5 hurts the Hunter Rune's use. There are...ways..around that accuracy penalty....some which worked all the way from S2.

BTW, who is starting a new thread?

Well if you wanna add one more rune into the mix it must be the Silence Orb why silence the enemy alive......they are SILENT WHEN THEY ARE DEAD ANYWAY? :twisted:
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I attached some of the status runes early in the game to fill spots. I never attached element runes to people who didn't have a B or higher in that element. It seemed worthless to do it if they didn't excel, though I did attach runes around a bit.

I attached a Fire Sealing rune quite consistently because the random encounters would always use Fire magic. I rarely encountered the use of lightning magic and the others didn't really apply to me so I didn't feel their repercussions. Fire Sealing was always on the character I was leveling up. Normally the enemies wouldn't attack him or her specifically but they would do the line of fire attack, Burning Wall or something, and that would knock out my guy before he could finish the bout and level up some.

Water Sealing is completely useless. It blocks healing water spells. That's just irritating, especially when you don't realize it's gunna do that.

Venom is completely useless, expecially when their's Poison Rune already.

Hunter lowers your accuracy way too much to be worth equiping usually.

It really depends on what you have handy to equip but most of the runes I didn't think were useless. I liked using Condemnation Rune despite it hurting me because it was decent and was darkness magic, which is always cool to watch. I think I ended up attaching it to Lorelai for a while before giving to Alhazred.

I have to disagree with Parallex about the Equilibrium Rune though. I think it's crucial. I had one on Ax when I was leveling up Nick and the rest of the dragonhorse cavalry crew. Because of that rune he never went unbalanced after him Unite Attack with Nick so he became more usefull, though I see that some people would think it's useless if they don't use Unites often and would want to prevent the unbalanced status. I personally like Unites. I think they're effective and the Balance Rune got rid of the malus that is involved in using the unite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: