Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Has Suikoden V made you less of a fan?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Has Suikoden V made you less of a fan? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know what exactly it was, but by the end of the game it felt tired to me. 5th time doing that gamepaly style. Konami really needs to add something to the next Suikoden to make it stand above the rest and not make it feel same ol' same ol'. Kinda like how it needs to do that with Castlevania now. I think III was heading into the right direction, but look at how that went.

It's been 3 years since I first really got into Suikoden. I've replayed Suikoden I 3 times, Suikoden II 4 times, Suikoden III once (but I've worked on replaying it), Suikoden IV twice (ugh), Rhapsodia (which I have yet to complete), and this.

I'm all Suiko'd out. I really hope I can get excited for another Suikoden, because by the time I finished with V I just wanted it to end. Not that I didn't enjoy the game. I like it a whole lot actually. But in another time, if I hadn't played so much Suikoden in such a short amount of time I probably wouldn't be feelign like this. Haha.

The bad thing is, unlike Final Fantasy games or SMT, each game isn't unique (with the exception of III). Once you play a Suikoden you've pretty much seen the features for ALL the Suikoden's. Konami really needs to buff this series up. I expect a gigantic return for ps3 and it better be great. I demand WARS ON THE WORLD MAP THAT SPRING OUT OF NOWHERE. The next step is actually making it feel like a warzone and making the world full of life. Konami, I really hope you are looking at FFXII!

Now, how can I actively participate in this community I've grown to love even if my love for Suikoden is waning (...for some reason)? Sigh, I feel so out of place here.
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Suikoden V made you less of a fan? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:

Now, how can I actively participate in this community I've grown to love even if my love for Suikoden is waning (...for some reason)? Sigh, I feel so out of place here.

I shall exact swit and divine retribution upon you, Square-Enix maggot, and deposit your loathsome corpse into the nearest lake!

I think it's normal that you got tired, you have played Suikoden too many times, and I don't know if the games are going to change that much either. As we all know the games are loosely based on the water margin (108 bandits join to defeat an evil empire/king whatever) so we'll probably see the same stuff for a loooong time.

In my case I play Suikoden to see excellent characters with beautiful personalities. I don't really care about Toran, Jowstone, the Grasslands, Falena or the Island Nations for that matter. The whole war issue is secondary to me.

And to answer your qustion, nope, It didn't make me any less of a fan; Im quite pleased with the game as a whole. It has flaws, but not in the aspects of gameplay that I care about.
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know, it's done quite the opposite for me: It makes me like more.

It's got a right storyline, great returnees, good plot twists and betrayals, plus hot women. That alone are ingredients for a good game.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Jossef

Beshennye Berserki

95809 Potch
200 Soldiers
23 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hate to disagree with you also, but it actually made me more of a fan.

First off, if you've been playing them non-stop, obviously you're going to tire of them sooner or later. Why not try taking a Suiko-break? Maybe even staying away from them for a while may bring back the desire to play again. Absence makes the heart grow fond or something like that.

But for me, Suikoden IV was making me fear for the series, rather than V, and was making me wonder what path they plannd on taking the series, but this game hushed that nagging part of my conscience and all was good. In fact, I'm still not sure whether I consider II and V equals or not because I enjoyed it so much.

As for the Final Fantasy comparison, I can't help but feel they sometimes vary too much and, for me, this has oftentimes lead to a game I'd never want to play again, like VIII and X. When I see a new Suikoden game, I like to see more of the same in some respects. The fact they always bring so many characters to the table and there are war battles and normal battles appeal to me so I would rather see them time and time again. I could elaborate, but I don't want to go on too much.

Not having certain elements in the games would actually put me off, but that's not to say I don't like to see innovation either. I prefer the idea of progression of a game, rather than a complete overhaul which will always make me more excited about a Suikoden game than what the next Final Fantasy offering will be.

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Suikoden V made you less of a fan? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Futch wrote:
Himuro wrote:

I shall exact swit and divine retribution upon you, Square-Enix maggot, and deposit your loathsome corpse into the nearest lake!

I HATE Square Enix

I'm an ATLUS whore.
Bright Shield Rune bearer

:)

5591 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah i supose Suikoden is turning me off in some way. Esspecially S 5. I've played S II over 20+ times, and i never got bored, I'm even thinking about replaying it again. The thing is. S II was special. Nothing to point at it. It was great game with great story. But after it, every new instalament is just showing me how some people ruin pices of art. And that makes me sad... reaqlly, really sad.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, I think FF XII is a horrid game, and thus hopefully Konami will not take any tips from that poor excuse of a game.

Suikoden 5 was incredible, it was nothing short of exceptional especially concerning its plot and characters. It revitalized me as a fan, really.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, Suikoden V really made me more of a fan.

I played that one FFXII demo, but I didn't care for it at all. I hope they go back to the old FF turn-based RPG way...

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Zeik Tuvai

Aura of the Wolf

12319 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden V make me less of a fan!? I don't think it could possibly happen. It's probably my favorite game next to EverQuest, it definately ranks higher then all of the new FF games (IX and the latter).
Cowardice cannot survive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know what you mean.. But that's how Suikoden works, and i'm also tired from this. Especially when you replay the games a hundred times :D But on the other hand that's one reason for me to love the series. I love it to know that there will again be 108 SoDs and that there will be a good story and so on..

I hope Konami will present us a lot of suikodens in the future, but they should take their time to make every game as good as it's possible
Pesmerga

22556 Potch
34 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden V was amazing. I was exceptionally happy with how it turned out, and I loved the characters and their development as well as the gameplay (I really liked the forms system and return of the 6 member battle team). It definitely got me pumped for more Suiko :). Now FFXII on the other hand I knew from the first time I saw the theme and the world inhabitants that I wouldnt enjoy it. The FFTA-ish races, and the FFXI (squenix forgot to name this FFOnline instead of wasting a precious FF numeral on it :P) race names ugh. Coupled with the fact after playing the demo the battle system was an utter turn off, was more like playing an MMO, which I LOATHE (hate MMOs), and they did say the battle system might turn away FF traditionalists (correct they are). So long story short Suikoden V = yay, FFXII = nay :twisted:

Pesmerga: "Hmmm. I thought that if I pursued Neclord, I'd run into Yuber."
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden V made me more of a fan and it even went way beyond repairing the wreckage that was left after Suikoden IV.
Agahnim

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Much like a few other people who have posted here, for me Suikoden V repaired the damage Suikoden IV did to the Suikoden Series. I was really concerned that Suikoden was going to continue in the quality of game that Suikoden IV introduced, but was extremely thankful when this wasn't the case, and for me Suikoden V returned to the quality of game that we know the Suikoden series to be capable of. It retained my faith in the Suikoden series.

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars wrote:
Personally, I think FF XII is a horrid game, and thus hopefully Konami will not take any tips from that poor excuse of a game.

lol, from what i saw on XII it doesn't look good at all.

but as the topic title goes. to me it made it better due to the some what lack of suikoden 3 and lack of suikoden 4. we finally got a suikoden game on the ps2 that was awesome like how ps1 had 1 and 2. just hopefully in 6 and future game they will learn from their mistakes on 4 and never do any thing like that again.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really enjoyed Suikoden V, but I did feel it was a little too similar to Suikoden 2. I'd like to see a different theme in the story line next game and I would like to see a format that's not "Go recruit this city, do little quest for, repeat, get all cities, go to enemy capital." Hopefully, Suikoden VI will mix it up some.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: