Suikoden United and Illegal Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Nippon Ichi Software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I loved Disgaea... it was fresh, something new and something different and it was just hilarious... It was so corny at times you just had to laugh, like a boss named 'mid-boss' (because he's a middle boss) or the power ranger spoof. It was also a power gamer's wet dream.... It just begged you to make your characters the most powerful you can.

You're right. I also liked at the beginning, while Etna is showing Laharl how to fight, Laharl saya how the monsters have be really paitent (sp) and

Etna says: 'You're right, how nice of them?'
Laharal: 'I know, now I'll only beat them half to death :twisted:"
Etna: 'Oh, you're so kind, if it was me, I would beat them all the way to death'

It's just hilarious conversations like that that make Digaea a great game.

I didn't enjoy LaPucelle, I found it inferior to Disgaea in every way, So I didn't finish it....

As I've said, La Pucelle actually came out before Disgaea in Japan, so they had La Pucelle's Gamplay to work off of to make Disgaea (they just released Disgaea first here.)
Rheo

Here and There

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nippon Ichi's games tend to get better English voiceactors for some reason...
I absolutely adore the English Etna (anyone knows who the voice actress is?)

Favorite scene in Disgaea:
the whole chapter 5, where Laharl sent out letters to have a contest for the Overlord title or something, and then you found yourself in a map literally FULL of monsters XD
and then you got the idiot prinnies challenging you to a game of baseball
and who can forget the prism rangers (BLUUUUEEE!!!!! YELLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOO!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!)
I couldnt stop laughing for the whole chapter.

I have to say, I do enjoy FFT more than Nippon Ichi's games though. (at least I enjoy it enough to finish the whole game) I dont like complicated systems... the job system in FFT is easy and enjoyable, but systems like the Fusion and Combine Items just hurt my head... I guess that is the reason why I always ended up not finishing the games.

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never liked Tactic kind of games in the past but after trying "Disgaea: Hour of Darkness" this game really changed my point of view on its kind and made me really thing twice on hating it because it was really different from what I knew about Tactics.

The first one I have played is "Disgaea: Hour of Darkness" and although I didn't finish it yet, I really enjoyed every bit of time it took me to get to half of its story (it is the only tactic game that made me real anxious on playing thought it, I just hope to continue play once more but too bad I that have erased the save from my memory card).

My second one was "La Pucelle: Tactics" and the experience of this one was more enjoyable than it's previous one because it's story touched me more than the story of "Disgaea: Hour of Darkness" and what's more cuter than a bossy girl who keeps yelling all the time (I love the story but I hate the ending).

My last one is "Phantom Brave" the one that I'm recently playing, this one is more better than it's previous ones because of the good changes in the battle system (my opinion) and because of the story that seems good so far, I just hope that it keeps on getting better.

I agree with you that "Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure" is a good game (I did find something about the story and battle system) but too bad it is not available any more (I regret the day that I never bothered with it when it was more than available on the market).

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I like basically all Strategy and Tactical based games that exist, with a few exceptions here and there, and am pleased that the PS2 has aquired three new TRPG's recently, and I so far own La Pucelle Tactics and Disgaea, and will have Phantom Brave within this week. I liked La Pucelle and Disgaea both, though I have only played each of them briefly, and since the release dates for the two of them were screwed around, since La Pucelle was actually made first in Japan, and then Disgaea followed, it is obvious that Disgaea would improve on the aspects here and there that were inferior in La Pucelle.

The only thing that annoys me about both of these games, is that they can't really be tampered with very well so to speak in regards to using a gameshark/Code Breaker etc... Not that I need to use them for all games, I like to mess around with modifing charcacter in ways you were not supposed to, like when thinking of Suikoden 2, I gave the Main Character a Soul Eater and Clive the Black Sword Rune, just to give an example what I am talking about. Not that cheating is nessacary all the time, it can be fun... Gotta love the good old PSOne and how good and easy hacking a game was with code devices back in the day.

Oh and Since these games selled exceptionally well in Japan and the US, I do not know how well they are selling in Australia/Europe because they have only released Disgaea here, though I import so it does not matter to me, but I hope they do well over here as well so other Australians can get into them... TRPG's rule. But anyhow, since they sell so well, and have been made rather quickly IMO, it is quite evident that only even more Strategy RPGs can be released in the near future. I for one am really glad about this most obvious fact, and look forward to other game companies getting involved in creating their own unique and wonderful Tactical RPGs. I can only hope for the following TRPG's to be released one day when they get even more poular and every company joins in to this money making franchise of Strategy RPGs...Anyway:

Vandal Hearts 3 (Konami) Can only Imagine how good this would be
Karita: Prequel (Awesome, just awaesome)
Final Fantasy Tactics 2 (Nice Graphics and excellent storyline I would guess)
Tactics Ogre: (Refined Graphics, this would be great)

Well anyhow they are just a few new TRPG's I would love to see one day released in the New Generation Cobsoles (Though I would bet they would all be only on the PS2...eh doesn't bother me) Though Sadly I doubt any of them will ever be released...Damn.

I am good at getting slightly off topic hey? Oh well it was still relevant.
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wooray for La Pucelle advertising!
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a big Nippon Ichi fan! :D

I really enjoy the story & character design in their games and I am a big fan of the 2D graphics and battle system.

I can't wait for Makai Wars and Phantom Kingdom.
It's cool that NIS America is bring Atelier Iris ~Eternal Mana~ to North America also.
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As Gunloc said, Atelier Iris ~Eternal Mana~ is coming out sometime this month (May), it wasn't made by NIS, but NIS-America is publishing it here in North America. There was an announcement on their official site (www.nisamerica.com) that the first 500 pre-orders would get a bonus soundtrack for AI:EM.
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am about 52 hours into Phantom Brave, although I'm not sure how far into the storyline I am due to a lot of leveling in random dungeons, but something that's really bugging me is the lack of plotline characters available for use in battle. I mean, I get to use Ash and Marona for fighting, every other character relates in no way to the events of the plot. Hopefully that will change soon, I was really hoping some of the cooler plotline characters(like Sprout and that other knight) would somehow die off and I could use them as phantoms in battle. Hopefully all in due time...
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
Camillus

6th Temple Guard Regiment "The Relentless"

68334 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was searching for topic to ask my question and it seems that is appropriate one.
So: Probably I would have possibility to buy one of those two games: La Pucelle Tactics or Phantom Brave.Could you advise me about which game is more fun for somebody who haven't played any SRPG yet and want to start :) ?
I have already read some reviews and it seems that both games are rather good and have some fun elements in them but also some flaws.
So what do you think?

Buttered-up Old Men

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nippon Ichi games are pretty good. The only problem is that all of the games are the exact same game. After I played Disgaea, I played Phantom Brave. I got bored of Phantom Brave cause it felt like I was playing the same game, so I stopped and picked up La Pucille. And I haven't finished that either, since, again, it felt like I was just playing the same game.

I dunno how you guys can just play the same thing over and over again without getting bored. Maybe it's just me, though.

Fallen Gods

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I played rhapsody. I love this game so much that I kept playing it over and over again. It was funny indeed. Unfortunately that I could not get the next 2 sequel. I also played Phantom brave, Disgaea, Makai Kingdom, and La pucelle. I had finished playing Disgaea, Makai Kingdom and La pucelle. But not Phantom Brave.

Sadly, I stopped playing Phantom brave as I lost its memory. I dont even know why I lost it. I dont have any recollection deleting it but I just lost it. Well enough of my rant.

Nippon Ichi rocks in lots of way in my opinion though they really should stick to comedy stories and put in only lil` of sad spices on those games. Phantom Brave and La pucelle does not really have lots of comedy and I found that they are too depressing that perhaps those were the cause of 'inferior'-ness in both game compared to Disgaea.

Another interesting thing worth noticing in almost all Nippon Ichi games are that they like to cross over their characters. E.g Laharl in Makai Kingdom.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have both games and I'm not that far into either of them. I enjoy all aspects of both games. But both do have their differences. Both are more advanced Strategy RPGs than Final Fantasy Tactics and Suikoden Tactics.

La Pucelle Tactics is the more basic of the two I'd say. It has the standard movement type and will get you to learn the basics of Strategy RPGs. However this game does have a heavy focus on it own unique system of elements. But once you can grasp it you'll catch on quickly.

Phantom Brave is much different that most Strategy RPGs because it doesn't use the grid system, it uses a more open movement system, that and theres several drawbacks with how long units can be used per batttle, except for a few. Like I said thouh I haven't gotten too far in that game.

If you want to try a strategy RPG thats the most basic I suggest Shining Force 1 or 2 for the Genesis (you can emulate it if need be, I won't tell) because that will give you a fun game with the fundamentals of strategy RPGs. If you aren't keen on downloading it, go buy Final Fantasy Tactics. Thats fairly basic. Or Disgaea, another Nippon Ichi title. Thats far more basic that Phantom Brave or La Pucelle. I am unsure of Makai Kingdom as I've never played or even seen muchof that one, but I'm sure its similar to the rest on the Nippon Ichi games and is a strat RPG.

If you can find Rhapsody for PS1 anywhere, pick that up, its Nippon Ichi as well and a decent game battlewise, but the story is a bit fluffy woth girly stuff, but none of the Nippon Ichi storylines are that hardcore. Thats part of their allure, hey're rather lighthearted in comparison to the more epic tales out there with Final Fantasy, Suikoden and Xenosaga and such.

And in response to the LONG time ago post about Atelier Iris, I got that and its actually a wonderful game. Not a Strat RPG but it does feel quasi-Nippon Ichi because its storyline never really gets as hardcore and focuses more on quality gameplay than story. Myabe thats just my opinion. Atelier Iris is a great game and I hope Atelier 2 comes stateside because I like this one. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the next Atelier game is going to be Atelier Violet. It seems they're going with a flowery theme?

Atelier had a prior game called Atelier Marie about an alchemist. I don't know much more about it but it was for Playstation. I think it was more a precursor to Atelier Iris rather than a prequel. I'd have to look into it more, and I really don't feel like doing that at the moment. *laugh*

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Baka

Fallen Gods

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Atelier had a prior game called Atelier Marie about an alchemist. I don't know much more about it but it was for Playstation. I think it was more a precursor to Atelier Iris rather than a prequel. I'd have to look into it more, and I really don't feel like doing that at the moment. *laugh*

I thought atelier Marie was on Snes? Sadly though, Atelier Marie was not translated to english if my memory serves me. Well, in anycase, I highly suggest giving all Atelier Series a "Go" They are good series and seriously, their story line are worth your time. :D By the way, there is a comic on Atelier Marie in case you are interested.
Camillus

6th Temple Guard Regiment "The Relentless"

68334 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok, thanks for responses they were helpful.
But because I'd like to stick only to La pucelle or Phantom Brave I have few more questions:

I read somewhere that PAL version of LPT has some bonus features, are they good and/or important for gameplay? I'm asking because if I choose LPT I will be getting PAL.

Second thing: which game of those two has better/more interesting storyline?

I am wondering about gameplay also: I read somewhere that LPT is rather simple in terms of game system compared to PB. Is that true? Because I wouldn't like too simple system, but from other side i am little worried about this grid-less system(in PB) and this thing that your phantoms vanish from battle after some time(alos in PB).
And how is it with customisation of characters in both games?

And the last question: which game has more interesting cast of characters? Because from I've seen so far it seems that LPT is better in this department.

yeah it's a lot but I am really not sure which game to choose. I was also thinking that maybe because LPT is older it may be hard to get it in the future and PB would be still buyable.
Looking forward to your answers.
cheers

Fallen Gods

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Second thing: which game of those two has better/more interesting storyline?

I would suggest you get phantom brave, I think it has a better storyline.

La pucelle has a basic tactics gameplay. An ordinary and simple one. If you are an amateur/beginner on tactics game, La pucelle would suit you better. If you are up for more challenge, Phantom brave is a better choice. Phantom brave would also allow you to try Nippon Ichi's style of tactics game.

Quote:

And the last question: which game has more interesting cast of characters? Because from I've seen so far it seems that LPT is better in this department.

La pucelle has a more animated groups of characters. They move more often and they are in a happier mood. Phantom Brave on the other hand has a more tragic story in my opinion.

If you are still confused, try getting La pucelle first and then Phantom Brave. Like what you said...

Quote:

I was also thinking that maybe because LPT is older it may be hard to get it in the future and PB would be still buyable.

Edit: grammar error
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: