Suikoden Utopian and Irrational Kibbutz Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What you learned from playing RPG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malt Hitman

31st H.R. Regiment: The 31st Wrecking Crew

9905 Potch
0 Soldiers
5035 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Pencil and Paper RPGing:
-The DM/GM will kill you if you tick him off enough.
-Your random number generator won't do as much damage as my dice when I throw them at you.
-A full dice bag makes a great sap.
-You'll never get your way when you order pizza with the group, call in your order ahead of time.
-Rolling up a 1st level character in a 15th level party really sucks.
-Books are more expensive then videogames.
-You need friends to achieve the full enjoyment of your purchase.

CRPGs:
-A slime draws near...again.
-Fallout has some of the best death animations ever.
-Having all items stored in treasure chests is more convenient then having to search every single bucket, pot, bookshelf, and clock.
-War, war never changes...
-Picking up a game after its prime means there will be better cheats and walkthroughs available but very few people will still want to talk about the game.
-Upgrading to play a game doesn't mean that it is a good game. It just means that you're spending more money to use a product that you've already purchased.
-Some puzzles are unsolvable though anything but trial and error.
-Some puzzles are unsolvable until the next patch.
-Having to restart a game because the developers changed the data storage format really sucks.
-Mini games can extend the life of a product long enough that you may lose interest in beating the game.
-Mini games can extend the life of a product long enough that you will forget where to go next and have to start the game over.
-Saving in the middle of a large dungeon is bad, especially so if you forget which way you were going.
-Interesting characters are usually few and far between cut scenes, if in the same game at all.
Providence Luc

The Millenium Swords

109035 Potch
275 Soldiers
71 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha... I had a blast reading the posts. Let's see... what have I learned...

• Bladed weapons will get you far, even in a world of villains using heavy machine guns.
  • Villains will most likely reveal to the Hero his grand scheme ( possibly with his life story ) only to discover that the Hero will somehow escape and return to foil it or get beaten on the spot.
  • Many times, there will always be one NPC/Part-Time Villain who will be cooler than the hero.
  • A young Hero who learns to fight in only a few years will always be able to beat the more experienced fighters.
  • Real life has no save points.
  • Do not attempt to walk into a stranger's house and pilfer them of their stuff in real life.
  • The hero will most likely fall into a trapdoor at least ONCE.

Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

lol that's a great list there. yes the hero will most likely fall into a trapdoor or just some kind of trap. i find these two to be the best ones you put down.

Quote:
# Real life has no save points.
# Do not attempt to walk into a stranger's house and pilfer them of their stuff in real life.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Alucard

Blood Crusaders

2016645 Potch
214 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A strange and uncommon question but mister Alucard can cope with it :D

What has mister Alucard learnt from the RPG's that have been played.... :?

- There is always some crazy badguy who has some insane plan that involves him / her becoming the supreme ruler with ultimate power by creating a huge amount of casualties.

- The women are always super cute, mysterious or extremely hot and sexy o.o
(Long live animestyle !)

- Keep a clock near when gaming or you'll forget you had a date with your girlfriend -_- (Mister Alucard may or may not have experience with this :wink: )

- The weapons that are being used are of abnormal proportion... how do they even lift it?!

- The people have cool skills..... We want those aswell !

- The main character(s) have a traumatic or sad past (example: parents killed)

- Some storylines turn out to be completly worthless in the end *cough* FF VIII ! *cough*

Regards
Mister Alucard the vague forum junky

Proud Blade of the Nameless Lands, Alucard, Blade of Shadows
Providence Luc

The Millenium Swords

109035 Potch
275 Soldiers
71 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Buff wrote:
*laugh* that's a great list there. yes the hero will most likely fall into a trapdoor or just some kind of trap. i find these two to be the best ones you put down.

Quote:
# Real life has no save points.
# Do not attempt to walk into a stranger's house and pilfer them of their stuff in real life.

Thanks for the compliment. Trust me, those two are solid facts and should not be tested lest you risk your neck in prison or at worst, death. LOL

On a more serious note, RPGs do not simply rot the minds of children. Contrary to what many parents would like to believe, I think we can all agree that RPGs do invoke quite a bit of mental activity since many RPGs would require a certain amount of critical thinking. Even the ones designed for younger audiences like Pokémon would eventually make kids think twice about which pokémon to bring out in a battle against a Psychic type.

Plus, I'd like to think that RPGs give us a bonus in creative thinking. A lot of RPGs would somehow involve a plot and as much as possible, these stories have lessons to learn along the way. Sometimes, inappropriate for certain age gaps, but that would then be the responsibility of the parents of the younger generations.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Plus, I'd like to think that RPGs give us a bonus in creative thinking.

for me i think it gives me that and also gives me a better memory. i got suikoden 1,2,4,tactics and 5 in the back of my head. like i know where the treasures are and know when to recruit and how to recruit them. same with final fantasy x, legend of zelda: ocarina of time and majoras mask memorized, also shadow hearts 2, fable and the four .hack games. plus with that it helps me out with other stuff like with school, my job, since i work in a grocery store you have to know where the items are and what isle they are on. i've only been with my job for a couple of months and pretty much know where all the items were within the first month. when i work at my old grocery job back in california i knew my store like the back of my head. knew where every item was and knew exactly where they were position at, like top shelf, bottom shelf. hell i could walk through that place blind folded and still could know where i was and what i was next to.

Providence Luc

The Millenium Swords

109035 Potch
275 Soldiers
71 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Buff wrote:
for me i think it gives me that and also gives me a better memory.

How I wish that were the case with me! I can't remember the most important stuff for the goodness sake. Sure, I can recall the details of the games I play, how to recruit certain characters. Then again, I find myself in a fix because I can't seem to recall the lessons taught to me in the middle of Calculus! :*laugh*:

I guess it has its specific effects for different people, too.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

lol don't fell bad, i don't remember stuff in school since a lot i find boring. if i'm interested in it and deal with it on a daily basis i can easily memorize what to do.

eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Providence Luc wrote:
Haha... I had a blast reading the posts. Let's see... what have I learned...

• Villains will most likely reveal to the Hero his grand scheme ( possibly with his life story ) only to discover that the Hero will somehow escape and return to foil it or get beaten on the spot.

'why hello there mr bond, see that laser thats slowly inching its way to cut you in half, well that was created back in 1842, ehnce why i cant speed the process up and it takes 4 hours to cut a slice of cheese via that control panel which just happens to be in close proximity to the arm strap which just so happens wasnt fastened correctly and curse the hencement for not removing the wrist watch...arrg my eyes and my beautiful base!'

whatever happened to a plain ol bullet to the head =/

• Masterminds are always broke, hence why they hire incompetant henchmen and spend most of the game sitting on their throne watching the paint on their newly pillaged piccaso dry.
  • For every town that is destroyed there is always at least 1 survivor.
  • Characters are gods, especially when they can beat the pants off of a few of them.
  • Females are usually all the equivilent of Clerics, those that arent look like hobgoblins.
  • Every race has human characteristics, yet no race has any history on how they came about besides 'shazzam it happend deal with it'
  • NPC should be renamed DRS, for Dead Really Soon
  • You can never solve any problems which relate to the main story no matter how trivial. 'i shall rule the world because my bunny died and theres no other bunnies in existence so id be happy if i just had a bunny and stop everything' *hero stabs the guy in the face then goes home to feed his pet bunny*

The Millenium Swords

109035 Potch
275 Soldiers
71 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha... I guess so.

RPGs have lots of benefits~ They also provide some historical information. Though not all of it is accurate since they tend to get modified for storyline purposes. But if the player is curious enough, he/she'll figure out the truth behind the fallacies in some stories. For example, Suikoden was based on a novel. I've tried to some extent to do some research on it. I picture lots of other people would have done the same, others succeeding others just setting it aside. :)
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The hero almost always uses a sword and is never a magic user
female hero is usually a healer type
There is always a sewer dungeon,or ice dungeon or flooting city or an underwater city.
The rulers of the world are usually pretty useless and never send there men to aid the hero
Destiny's Warrior

Mercenarios of Destino

17251 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've learned to... write and actually think before saying or writing, heh. No joke, before I played Suikoden II (First RPG Played) I was an ass at writing.

"I iz gona plai Sookoden 2 n compl3t3 1t"

Well I wasn't that bad, but you know where i'm going. I was n00b slayer bait back last year.

RPGs saved my education.
Fudozukushi

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081375 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

- One character will always have a weapon that should be immpossible to use
- The main healer will always have some emotional scar from their past
- The main character is almost always the second best in every stat, except speed where he's first or third
- There will always be either one parent missing or dead from the main characters life, if both are alive and well they won't be for long.
- One character won't be human
- Elves are jerks
- Your party will be the only one doing any real fighting even in the middle of a war, and your side always loses except for the battles you win.
- Someway into the game everything beforehand gets thrown out the window to bring out the main villian.
- Dwarves are always more helpful then elves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: