Suikoden Uncouth and Illegal Kibbutz Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Suikoden skill system
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I had trouble with the epic skills at first, but figured it out eventually. Makes sense and all that. I've also noticed that while the epic skills do increase two or more stats, the increase is lower than with the normal skill, even if it's at the same level.

Personally, I'm not too much of a fan of the skill sistem in this game. I'm not saying that it's bad, but I liked the one on Suikoden III better. It jkust seems to me that the customization of the characters is too limited because of the fact that there's only two skill slots. Also, the skills don't seem as original as the ones in III and Tactics. I also don't like the fact that some characters are stuck with skills that are completely useless in battle like tutor and stuff like that Well, I guess it's better than not having anything. I love the Party SP however, and I think it's one of the best conepts they could've implemented in a game with so many characters.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You're right about the Epic Skills, I just finally started being able to use them myself, and they're a bit weaker than the normal versions of the skills, so you get two skills, but at a reduced effectiveness. However, since some of the Epic Skills increase three or more Skills at once, the benefit there is obvious. Of course, with only two Skill slots, having two skills in one, even if less effective, is still quite a benefit really, unless it happens to be one skill that you really need the maximum effect for.

It is a bit annoying that you can't remove Tutor and the like, given again the fact that there are only two available Skill slots, but some of the 'unique' skills are very useful (at least to me), like Treasure Hunter and Find Potch, so I don't mind too much. I do wish you could unequip Tutor at the very least though...it makes it a bit harder to use characters like Zegai when they can't gain the full benefits of their slots. Of course, Zegai and Zerase are powerful enough already to where they're useful with or without that second skill.

I have a bit of a follow-up question for others, though...what skills do you find the most useful in Suikoden V? I've been toying around with them a bit, and I find some of them to be by far more useful, and more powerful, than others. I don't, for example, find that Attack raises Attack all that much, and that characters who chain attacks more tend to do more damage than characters using the Attack skill. Stamina seems incredibly weak, providing only ~50-60 hitpoints at Level B. Incantation doesn't seem to hasten my magical casting by nearly enough, either, although perhaps my other characters who aren't casting are simply too fast?

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And what do I have to do to be able to equip them?
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You have to level up the prerequisite skills for each Epic up to A level or better. For example, if the Epic 'Raging Lion' is Stamina/Attack. Once a character has both Stamina and Attack at A level, you can begin to train Raging Lion, and then equip it on that character. Keep in mind that not all characters can use the Epics, I haven't bothered to check whether it's simply because they can't get to A in the prerequisites, or whether there are other skills that are simply greyed out for people. The Prince, it's worth noting, can use every single one of the Epics I've found so far.

Naturally, this requires that you have the Elementary Magic or Elementary Combat books for your Combat and Magic trainers, and also requires a good chunk of skill points, since if you want to get good use out of your Epic, you'll want to get it up to Level A immediately as well. The Epic skill is weaker than either of the two (or more, the better Epic skills are more) skills it combines, but obviously provides more overall benefits than either of the single ones. It's sort of a tradeoff, but given that you only have two skill slots, it seems to me to be always to your advantage to economize on space by combining two skills, even at slightly lower effectiveness.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I cant upgrade my Skills better than grade C.Where do I find a tome which makes me better?
Fudozukushi

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081375 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

B- Lelcar East Inlet Inn
A-
S- Ceras Lake Ruins after final/second HQ expansion
SS- West Palace
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Basic Magic - Ceras Lake
Basic Combat - Lelcar
Elementary Magic - Sable
Elementary Combat - Sauronix
Intermediate Magic - Hershville
Intermediate Combat - Ceras Lake Ruins after Castle level 3
Advanced Magic - Sol Falena (during assault)
Advanced Combat - West Palace
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Knew I should of checked the ruins after the 3rd upgrade. It's at the bottom of the water fountain correct?
Where is the combat SS in the west palace? Do you have to get the intermediate one first to have it appear?

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Parallax wrote:
The Prince, it's worth noting, can use every single one of the Epics I've found so far.

Yeah, there are only two character who can get all epic skills: The Prince and Roy.

One thing I'm wondering though, is why Sagiri doesn't get Untold Clarity. She gets an A for pretty much every battle skill (excluding Stamina), and yet she can not get the skill. It doesn't show up in her skills list. Personally, if she got Untold Clarity, I think she would be the best or at least second best (to Cathari) L-range character in the game.

Hmm... actually, checking the Skills data, there are quite a handful of characters that can get at least an A in all battle skills (excluding Stamina) and yet don't get the Untold Clarity epic skill:

Galleon
Isabel
Nifsara
Nikea
Raven
Shoon

So I guess some folks just don't get the epic skill, despite having the requirements. I suppose it's a balance issue. Isabel, Nikea and Shoon would have been super powerhouses if they got Untold Clarity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: